Travelling in Italy (Fiscal Code)

I am travelling to Italy in a couple of months and have booked a hire car. Slightly dreading the crazy Italian drivers, but hopefully won't be too bad out in the sticks.

The confirmation documents for the car suggest that I need to present a 'Fiscal Code' when I pick it up. Anyone have any idea if it's actually needed as a UK citizen? I assume not, but Google doesn't seem to give a particularly straight answer.

31 minutes ago, Stripey McStripe Shirt said:

I am travelling to Italy in a couple of months and have booked a hire car. Slightly dreading the crazy Italian drivers, but hopefully won't be too bad out in the sticks.

I did it a few years ago and it wasn't too bad where I was (north Italy, near Lake Garda), but I wouldn't want to attempt it in any of the bigger cities. Especially Rome.

One bit of advice I'll give you is you just have to be assertive when pulling into traffic, cos nobody will ever stop and let you in such as is common in the UK. You have to learn to just dive into any gap you can see, and nobody bats an eyelid or gets mardy about it because it's just expected that's what you have to do.

I hired one in Puglia a few years ago, it was fine to be fair although the biggest city we went to was Lecce which wasn't that big, i wouldn't fancy doing it in the big cities. 

As Sheaf says you need to be assertive and just pull out into any gap otherwsie you'll sit there for ages, also parking is weird as they seem to dump their cars in any gap there doesn't seem to be any set parking spaces, although that might be a thing in Pulgia as it's quite rural. 

I dont remember a fiscal code but be careful and only use a reputable company as there are quite a few scam merchants in Italy would will screw you over heard some horror stories of people being charged thousands there for scratches and marks that were already on there but they hadnt checked the documents properly. 

Where you heading? IMO the best country to visit in the world. 

Posted (edited)

I've driven in Naples a few times, which is supposed to be the worst Italian city for driving. Treat it like an Italian queue in a bank or shop. There will be lots of cutting in and what Brits see as bad manners but they arent trying to kill you, dont want to crash and are mostly good drivers. It's also nothing personal.  If you want a relaxed holiday just let them go, don't be too macho or competitive about it. The North is more 'European' than the south but out in the country anywhere its absolutely fine.

I think you only need a fiscal code if you're an Italian citizen or resident. If you're being asked for one sounds like you are booking on a local site. I've always found Rental Cars or holiday autos to be good. If you take the rental cars comprehensive insurance you dont have to worry about any surcharges after - although wherever I go I always make a show of videoing the whole car in front of them just in case.  

Edited by buctootim

1 hour ago, Sheaf Saint said:

I did it a few years ago and it wasn't too bad where I was (north Italy, near Lake Garda), but I wouldn't want to attempt it in any of the bigger cities. Especially Rome.

One bit of advice I'll give you is you just have to be assertive when pulling into traffic, cos nobody will ever stop and let you in such as is common in the UK. You have to learn to just dive into any gap you can see, and nobody bats an eyelid or gets mardy about it because it's just expected that's what you have to do.

That's where I am going. Picking the car up in Verona and going round Garda and local areas. The roads don't look overly scary from what I can tell, but we will see when we get there. Understand there are a lot of restrictions on where you can go in Verona itself but everywhere else is hopefully self explanatory.

Won't try and be too macho about being cut up etc. I'm more of roll my eyes and quietly tut when people do that to me in the UK rather than blaring the horn too much so should be Ok.

Hiring the car through Rental Cars (with Avis) so assuming the stuff about Fiscal Code is just standard and doesn't apply.

• Like 1

Drove in Puglia last June & wasn’t too much of a problem. Only issue I had was with a ridiculous self service petrol station where you had to pay at an ATM thing first, & a £39 charge from the hire company on my credit card randomly a few months later. Parking was easy & driving around not too bad. 

We picked up a car in Naples we got given the shittiest banged up Lancia, aware of the horror stories we spent half an hour photographing all the dents and scratches with the Italian kid dealing with us rolling his eyes. We expected a fight handing it back but didn't have any issues. Drove on the Almalfi coast, so I can see why they gave us the banger, tight winding roads with mad local drivers.

1 hour ago, Stripey McStripe Shirt said:

That's where I am going. Picking the car up in Verona and going round Garda and local areas. The roads don't look overly scary from what I can tell, but we will see when we get there. Understand there are a lot of restrictions on where you can go in Verona itself but everywhere else is hopefully self explanatory.

Won't try and be too macho about being cut up etc. I'm more of roll my eyes and quietly tut when people do that to me in the UK rather than blaring the horn too much so should be Ok.

Hiring the car through Rental Cars (with Avis) so assuming the stuff about Fiscal Code is just standard and doesn't apply.

roads round there are fine. We went there last summer, spent time on Lake Garda, Verona, Venice and Padova, used public transport mainly but you wont have any problems there. 

• Like 1