It's Snowing

Mole

Good crunchy snow this morning in Manchester as I walked to the train station. But it covered up a dog crap which I stood in, I realised immediately as the footfall was different...

The snow had all gone by the time I got back though :-( But so had the dog dump! Magic snow!

Well, yea, but it's a bit pathetic how a few inches of snow brings the whole country to a halt. It's just lazyness on our part.

Highland Scots don't give a monkey's. Last time I spent a New Year holiday in Scotland, when the snow was as high as anything I'd seen in years, in the UK, I drove back from a restaurant in Inverness to Cannich and spent the whole 37 odd miles with little or no steering. That's rather buttock clenching, with a car load of friends, on twisty roads and steep gradients. The Scots, I saw, took it all in their stride. Snow chains seemed essential, but neither they, nor I, had them.

Dont beleive you :)

Show us a pic, its ****ing down here in Soton!

I drove back from Southampton yesterday teatime and it changed from rain to snow on the A34 at Tot Hill. It's rained here today but it's been snowing again since 6pm.

Probably told this story a hundred times.

Had a data processing job in the early 80's, and occasionally used to do the toing and froing of the data tapes. One Jan/Feb time, I went out on the run. This consisted of a morning trip to Andover and back; then to Portsmouth and back; and finally to Poole and back, with stops all along the routes. The Sun was blazing and it was quite warm for a winter's day. As I got close to Winchester, the rain and sleet started, which quickly turned to snow. As I went by the Winnal area there was snow laying, and the road was becoming a tad treacherous. When I got to Andover, the roads were just passable. On returning to our fair city, the Sun had returned, and I went upto the office full of my story. The guys in there said I was mad. I said, come down to the van, the snow is piled on top..! They wouldn't, and said I was geeing them up. So I went out on the next run to Portsmouth. Exactly the same thing happened, and by the time I got to crossing the River Hamble, the road was as bad as Andover. I got back, and they still wouldn't believe me. So I went out on the run to Bournemouth and Poole. Just out into the country, the snow was really bad, and the New Forest was covered in white. It took me ages to get back in all cases, and one of the things the guys asked, when I got back, was why it took me so long. Because it's snowing everywhere, I said yet again. They just wouldn't believe me. Who would..? It was sunny in Southampton, the roads were dry, and they were locked up in a warm office with views of the town about them. But after huge protestations, I managed to get one of them to come down in the lift with me. This better not be a wind-up Andy, he said. Outside in the courtyard was the Fiesta van with piles of melting snow on and around it. Me and my convert went back up to the office, and they still wouldn't believe us.

I heard on the news later that the IOW was under heavy snow too. A special place is Southampton.

Never mind snow - what about pothole repairs? I was supposed to be in Leicester this morning for a 9am meeting. Left home at 7 and sat on the M40 at Warwick for more than 90 mins only to get onto the roundabout for the A46 and to see it was at a standstill.

Pothole repairs apparently. That's fine - they need to be repaired. But it looked likely that I wouldn't get to Leicester until mid-day.

So I turned round and came back home.

A waste of a day. :smt095

Never mind snow - what about pothole repairs? I was supposed to be in Leicester this morning for a 9am meeting. Left home at 7 and sat on the M40 at Warwick for more than 90 mins only to get onto the roundabout for the A46 and to see it was at a standstill.

Pothole repairs apparently. That's fine - they need to be repaired. But it looked likely that I wouldn't get to Leicester until mid-day.

Fast response BTF. The snow and ice has ruined any repairs done in the last couple of months. My road looks like it's been carpet bombed.

Just about missed an enormous pothole off Winchester Road [i think it was] yesterday. Must have been nearly a foot deep, and it was right alongside a manhole cover. Must also have recently opened up, as there were no paint lines around it. I just avoided it as I saw the car in front swerve slightly to avoid it. Nasty, dangerous stuff. Would certainly have damaged the car because it was bigger than the diameter and section of my tyres, and it had sheer sides. If I could accurately remember where the bloody thing was I'd report the problem.

Fast response BTF. The snow and ice has ruined any repairs done in the last couple of months. My road looks like it's been carpet bombed.

You know what Ponty - I usually go to Leicester through the back roads, quite near you (I imagine) and along Fosse Way but I thought the roads might be icy so plumped for the motorway instead. Damned if I did and damned 'cos I didn't.

My colleague had to go to Worcester this morning and, luckily, chose back roads or he would have been stuck behind that awful crash involving the RAF boys at Burford.

Weather eh? Tch!

Longbridge island has been a problem for years hence the bypass under construction. No doubt the potholes has lengthened the queues but at peak times traffic has always been a problem getting of the M40 and A46 come rain or shine.

Longbridge island has been a problem for years hence the bypass under construction. No doubt the potholes has lengthened the queues but at peak times traffic has always been a problem getting of the M40 and A46 come rain or shine.

Mmm I know - I do the trip regularly.

I think this time the problem was actually the repair of potholes on the A46. It was down to one lane apparently :shock:

Mmm I know - I do the trip regularly.

I think this time the problem was actually the repair of potholes on the A46. It was down to one lane apparently :shock:

The point I was making was traffic has always been an issue during rush hour with or without other obstructions like potholes, living in Warwick and using the A46/M40 on a daily basis has taught me this :D

Snowing again in Leics - has been since lunch time. 1 inch has settled on the paths i've shovelled clean upteen times. We've still got 4 inches on the lawn from the snow two weeks ago.

Phew! I'd been planning to go to Leicester again today but changed my mind.

Mainly because the back roads were like skating rinks again this morning.

Someone had the nerve to overtake Mr TF at 6am this morning when he was on his way to work. He was slightly amused to see said car in the hedge a couple of miles later. :)

(The driver was OK BTW)

Lovely, deep, deep snow here. The roads have all been ploughed several times and I've spent the whole evening out sledging with my kids.

The roads are fine and anyway all cars here have winter tyres from September/October onwards and many carry chains in the boot. I've never heard of a school here closing due to weather. Hope to spend the weekend walking on skis.

Lovely, deep, deep snow here. The roads have all been ploughed several times and I've spent the whole evening out sledging with my kids.

The roads are fine and anyway all cars here have winter tyres from September/October onwards and many carry chains in the boot. I've never heard of a school here closing due to weather. Hope to spend the weekend walking on skis.

Well the Snandinavians are generally a bit more clued up than us thick Brits[speak for myself I know].

I was at a school the other day and was staggered to learn that schools no longer teach the green cross code to young pupils; it's not on the curriculum.

I got talking to Swedish teacher and he said that basic first aid is taught to all pupils at their schools, I think it was at primary school age but could be wrong.

It's that sort of foresight that put's us Brits to shame, no doubt our teachers would rather squabble about the importance of teaching religion in schools instead of something practical that could be of use to us as adults.;);)

Well the Snandinavians are generally a bit more clued up than us thick Brits[speak for myself I know].

I was at a school the other day and was staggered to learn that schools no longer teach the green cross code to young pupils; it's not on the curriculum.

I got talking to Swedish teacher and he said that basic first aid is taught to all pupils at their schools, I think it was at primary school age but could be wrong.

It's that sort of foresight that put's us Brits to shame, no doubt our teachers would rather squabble about the importance of teaching religion in schools instead of something practical that could be of use to us as adults.;);)

It would be stupidity for Britain to take the same weather precautions as Norway. It is a very large part of the budget here because it has to be. People like you would complain about it if large amounts of public money were being spent every year just in case it snowed unusually heavily for two days.

Although the Green Cross Code in itself isn't and never has been part of the curriculum in Britain, road safety was covered in depth every year I was teaching there and is a big focus for all schools.

Teaching religion is something that should be discussed regularly in my opinion. There are a lot of cases for and against. Understanding other cultures and religions is the greatest weapon against the fear and hate that causes a lot of problems to us adults but the amount of time to be spent going into elaborate depth of bible stories etcetera is another issue.

There are plenty of ways in which Scandinavian education is better than British, but the opposite is true too. You're being far too judgemental and reactionary across several subjects that you clearly aren't that well informed about. A little knowledge can be a dangerous thing, especially when used in such a bludgeoning and condemning manner as you used. This attitude causes more harm than you realise.

It would be stupidity for Britain to take the same weather precautions as Norway. It is a very large part of the budget here because it has to be. People like you would complain about it if large amounts of public money were being spent every year just in case it snowed unusually heavily for two days.

Although the Green Cross Code in itself isn't and never has been part of the curriculum in Britain, road safety was covered in depth every year I was teaching there and is a big focus for all schools.

Teaching religion is something that should be discussed regularly in my opinion. There are a lot of cases for and against. Understanding other cultures and religions is the greatest weapon against the fear and hate that causes a lot of problems to us adults but the amount of time to be spent going into elaborate depth of bible stories etcetera is another issue.

There are plenty of ways in which Scandinavian education is better than British, but the opposite is true too. You're being far too judgemental and reactionary across several subjects that you clearly aren't that well informed about. A little knowledge can be a dangerous thing, especially when used in such a bludgeoning and condemning manner as you used. This attitude causes more harm than you realise.

I tend to agree, even though you blithely patronise people on here.

As for religion - a load of nonsene.

Religion should be classed as a hobby and should not be allowed in schools or the workplace, it's teachings do more damage and are more divisive than if they were never to be taught.

Then again, if having a faith or believing in God gives you something to live for in life then i'm happy for you.

Personally, I shall spend the rest of my days enjoying my hedonistic lifestyle, ****ing ladies, drinking beer, travelling all over the world and generally having a good time until I die.

You really understand nothing. Schools don't teach you to be religious, which is what your post implies. They teach that there are different beliefs and educate. A lack of understanding and knowledge is generally known as ignorance. Practising a religion may be what you call a hobby, schools don't teach you to practise. You can learn about other religions right up to university level and still ****, drink and inject heroin. Ignorance is not a pre-requisite for happiness for everybody.

I'm not patronising people on here, I'm addressing you pretty directly.