Starting a footy team...

StuRomseySaint

1) Research as best you can regarding the leagues that are active in your local area.

2) Once you have found a league you like th look of, find the contact details of the league secretary

3) Contact said secretary and state your intent to join

4) Follow the instructions through....

1) Research as best you can regarding the leagues that are active in your local area.

2) Once you have found a league you like th look of, find the contact details of the league secretary

3) Contact said secretary and state your intent to join

4) Follow the instructions through....

Pretty much what he said. Yellow Jersey should give you the details of the league (it does for the Winchester League). Should have email addresses and phone numbers.

http://www.yellowjersey.co.uk/

You might need to be fairly swift though as some leagues won't accept applications after the 1st April.

Good luck.

It's an almighty pain in the arse.

The two Southampton Sunday leagues are:

Southampton & District (formerly Commercial Houses League): http://www.sd-sfl.co.uk

City of Southampton: http://www.cssfl.org.uk

Why is it a pain in the arse?

get your application in

prove you have the funds and players

form a comittee (chairman, secretary, treasurer)

if you want any advice mate pm me

its not difficult if you prep right

Hello!

Next season I have agreed to set up a team for our local boozer.

How do I go about this? We want to play on Sunday league mornings.

I have not a clue where to start!

Start in the pub saturday night, drink all night and arrive at game still ****ed.

Kick lumps out of each other, have a fight, get sent off then return to pub. Welcome to sunday pub team football :-)

Start in the pub saturday night, drink all night and arrive at game still ****ed.

Kick lumps out of each other, have a fight, get sent off then return to pub. Welcome to sunday pub team football :-)

In a ****ing nutshell mate!

Why is it a pain in the arse?

Before we joined the league, I had 15 people who would "definitely" play regularly as well as a handful of people who would be able to play "occasionally". First game of the season, we had a bare 11. Second game, we had to drag someone's mate out of bed from round the corner to play right-back so we had a bare 11. Despite having about 35 players signed on (and will be signing more this week), we've probably played with less than 11 players more often than with a full team.

get your application in

prove you have the funds and players

form a comittee (chairman, secretary, treasurer)

Application and funds, not a problem. Players wasn't a problem until some just decided they weren't going to even bother giving me the courtesy of a response to texts, emails, phone calls each week to say "I can't/don't want to play".

You've also missed off:

chasing people's availability

liaising with opposition teams

trying to get a ref as it's about a 1 in 10 chance in the lower divisions of being appointed one by the league

phoning results in

contacting every player at 8.30 on a Sunday morning when the game's been called off

It does seem a pain in the arse, I guess I have the luxury of being able to play in the name of the Luzborough House, with them funding it too.

I hope this also means that as well as mates, we can rely on other punters as well....

Don't forget the likelihood of people just not getting out of bed on a Sunday morning are probably much higher with a pub team than a "normal" Sunday league team.

Good luck with it, to be honest. I'm thoroughly fed up with it after two thirds of a season, and almost certainly won't be doing it again next season. I'll leave it to someone else to waste their own time.

Santos was actually OK in terms of people coming most of the time; it just got a bit weird when people started making it a team of their mates etc. I'd find 15 or so players who are genuinely committed, and stick with them, provided they're decent enough for your wanted level, and don't be tempted to improve on individual skill over team cohesion and commitment unless you're sure the new ones will do the same. Also be aware new better ones might demand a higher level of ability and success as their own self perception of ability demands.

Don't forget the likelihood of people just not getting out of bed on a Sunday morning are probably much higher with a pub team than a "normal" Sunday league team.

Good luck with it, to be honest. I'm thoroughly fed up with it after two thirds of a season, and almost certainly won't be doing it again next season. I'll leave it to someone else to waste their own time.

Stevegrant ruined my career

Santos was actually OK in terms of people coming most of the time; it just got a bit weird when people started making it a team of their mates etc. I'd find 15 or so players who are genuinely committed, and stick with them, provided they're decent enough for your wanted level, and don't be tempted to improve on individual skill over team cohesion and commitment unless you're sure the new ones will do the same. Also be aware new better ones might demand a higher level of ability and success as their own self perception of ability demands.

I scored the last ever goal for Santos. FACT

I am .... kind of in the MLT role, just a bit fatter.

This worries Stu tbh. Matt knew when to hang up his boots.

For the sake of your health, please reconsider, I would miss your posts if anything 'happened'.

Anyway, have you come up with a name yet, or are you gonna 'plump' for the Luzzies or something similarly crass?

This worries Stu tbh. Matt knew when to hang up his boots.

For the sake of your health, please reconsider, I would miss your posts if anything 'happened'.

Anyway, have you come up with a name yet, or are you gonna 'plump' for the Luzzies or something similarly crass?

Haha, this sounds like the words of the great man himself, e-threats ;)

It's an almighty pain in the arse.

Will there be communal baths/showers afterwards? I'd like to join our team please, Stuart.

Now I see where the team name The Luzzie Luvvies comes from.

You might want to get a female coach ... the promise of being pulled off at half time sure as hell beats a cup of tea or an orange :D

sounds to me Steve that youve taken on too much

I assume you are team manager

sounds like secretary too

plus treasurer

no wonder you are not enjoying it, learn a lesson Stu, get a tight group of mates/customers who wont want to let each other down and not a load of internet fans who dont give a flying f*** (no disrespect to the 8/9 or do bother)

plus treasurer

Agreed. 'Even Santos' shared out Secretary, Treasurer and team selection / player chasing duties between 2-3 people. Do it all yourself and you'll end up begrudging it.

no wonder you are not enjoying it, learn a lesson Stu, get a tight group of mates/customers who wont want to let each other down and not a load of internet fans who dont give a flying f*** (no disrespect to the 8/9 or do bother)

Definitely. No suprise that the core of Steve's current team are mostly people that have been mates / team mates for long enough in the past that they would rather turn up than let each other down. Really you've got to train at least once a week though just to weed out those who can't be arsed, and if you're lucky help instil a bit of pride / loyalty / competition for places.

You've also missed off:

chasing people's availability

liaising with opposition teams

trying to get a ref as it's about a 1 in 10 chance in the lower divisions of being appointed one by the league

phoning results in

contacting every player at 8.30 on a Sunday morning when the game's been called off

You appear to have missed such gems as:

Attending league meetings;

Also contacting the away team and ref if your home game's been called off;

Paying for the ref and the pitch;

Working out which players are technically eligible for cup games;

Filling out result forms;

Sending off club accounts to the FA at the end of the season;

Sorting out the kit, footballs and equipment, and then replacing them as they slowly disappear during the season;

Sorting out spare shinpads / boots for whichever numpty forgot them this week;

All the extra payments and paperwork you get lumbered with when one of your players decides to be mouthy to a ref and get sent off;

Oh, yeah - on the note of duties to perform - I'd advise making it vaguely formalised, even with a group of mates. Ensure everyone has a role, knows their responsibilities, commitments, etc. Make sure communication takes place between those running things, and that everyone has contact lists etc etc.

plus treasurer

Perhaps befriend some students and ask them, as they will probably be younger and have that drive and ambition to go that extra mile?

Oh, yeah - on the note of duties to perform - I'd advise making it vaguely formalised, even with a group of mates. Ensure everyone has a role, knows their responsibilities, commitments, etc. Make sure communication takes place between those running things, and that everyone has contact lists etc etc.

I would agree with this. In a team I once played in, one of the blokes found out his wife was having it away with another players wife. In order to keep things light hearted we fined the bloke who lost his wife for, "Not keeping your b1t(h in order."

It's funny, when we were at uni we managed to run a sports club with 90+ paying members and four full-time teams, liaise with the relevant governing bodies, utilise top class facilities, organise travel to matches many miles away, organise numerous social events with other clubs, obtain sponsorship from large multinational organisations, come to arrangements with pubs / bars, organise overseas tours, maintain an operating profit, get absolutely plastered....

God knows how we managed it; we were lazy mongs who spent most of the day in bed.

It's funny, when we were at uni we managed to run a sports club with 90+ paying members and four full-time teams, liaise with the relevant governing bodies, utilise top class facilities, organise travel to matches many miles away, organise numerous social events with other clubs, obtain sponsorship from large multinational organisations, come to arrangements with pubs / bars, organise overseas tours, maintain an operating profit, get absolutely plastered....

God knows how we managed it; we were lazy mongs who spent most of the day in bed.

Delegation mate

The art of good management

agreed. 'even santos' shared out secretary, treasurer and team selection / player chasing duties between 2-3 people. Do it all yourself and you'll end up begrudging it.

Definitely. No suprise that the core of steve's current team are mostly people that have been mates / team mates for long enough in the past that they would rather turn up than let each other down. Really you've got to train at least once a week though just to weed out those who can't be arsed, and if you're lucky help instil a bit of pride / loyalty / competition for places.

You appear to have missed such gems as:

Attending league meetings;

also contacting the away team and ref if your home game's been called off;

paying for the ref and the pitch;

working out which players are technically eligible for cup games;

filling out result forms;

sending off club accounts to the fa at the end of the season;

sorting out the kit, footballs and equipment, and then replacing them as they slowly disappear during the season;

sorting out spare shinpads / boots for whichever numpty forgot them this week;

all the extra payments and paperwork you get lumbered with when one of your players decides to be mouthy to a ref and get sent off;

lol:)

• 12 years later...

How did this go? 

I have tried to set up a football club a couple of times and failed. It is far more difficult than expected. It really should be made much easier. I got quite a long way with one, but trying to get a home pitch was almost impossible. 

I ran a team for many years.

To be fair I enjoyed most of it and still remain friends with many of the players

However I still have recurring dreams about pre game phone calls advising me that players were injured or unavailable

trying to get subs off of certain players was always a challenge.

31 minutes ago, spyinthesky said:

I ran a team for many years.

To be fair I enjoyed most of it and still remain friends with many of the players

However I still have recurring dreams about pre game phone calls advising me that players were injured or unavailable

trying to get subs off of certain players was always a challenge.

One Saturday night I was ringing round the players to tell them that the game was off the next morning. When I got to our goalkeeper he said “I wouldn’t have been able to play anyway. My daughter died this morning”.

She was only two years old. It still upsets me.