Michael McIntyre

Bailey

Have just got 2 tickets to see Michael McIntyre during his new tour which begins in September.

Am very excited, especially if he is as good as he was during his last tour.

Has anyone on here seen his most recent DVD? Do you lot rate him as a comedian?

Edited by Bailey

Comes across as an unfunny gimp on Mock the Week, but people seem to like him.

He's better on tour in fairness as he has a script and doesn't have to come up with comedy on the spot.

Frankie Boyle is hilarious on Mock the Week though because he's so quick-witted, but his stand-up stuff isn't as good IMO.

Seen quite a lot of comedy over the last couple of years and MM is one of the performers that I have enjoyed most. He managed to be very funny without resorting to too much smut or bad language. One of the worst I have seen is Paddy McGuiness @ Southampton Guildhall. A very short (not much more than an hour in total inc. an interval!) and not very funny.

I think a lot of his comedy is 'obvious'. Sort of stuff we all talk about in the pub with our mates. So it doesn't make it funnier just cos he is on stage.

You must have some strange mates if they describe things like MM does all the time.

'tis true though. Basically ALL his comedy is "observational" humour.....but I think he does it better than most who attempt it!

I think a lot of his comedy is 'obvious'. Sort of stuff we all talk about in the pub with our mates. So it doesn't make it funnier just cos he is on stage.

TBF most of the comedians that I have seen recently (Frankie Boyle, Andy Parsons, Russell Howard etc) fall into that catagory. True originals are few and far between.

I caught a snippet of MM just before xmas on a live at the apollo program, I immediately asked for his DVD for xmas and have watched it a few times now. I think he's very very funny, he doesn't come across in the same way on programs such as mock the week because his humour doesnt seem to fit with the other comedians on it.

I've also got tickets to see him in October at the BIC and am really looking forward to it. £30 might seem a bit steep but it sold out quickly so many people obviously feel they'll get value for money.

I also went to see Jimmy Carr at the anvil this week which was pretty good, didnt start brilliantly but got funnier as the night went on.

Think about it..

Roughly £7 each for the film

Petrol costs getting there & back lets say £4

Drink each £2

Crisps each £2

Pop corn £3

Other costs...

Around 25-30 quid.

Just watch illegal pirates!

Your cinema must be a quite a drive away for £4!!

Back to the subject. I rate MM. I've spent £30 for a ticket at the BIC and look forward to it.

He's better on tour in fairness as he has a script and doesn't have to come up with comedy on the spot.

Frankie Boyle is hilarious on Mock the Week though because he's so quick-witted, but his stand-up stuff isn't as good IMO.

Funny you should say that cos I don't like Frankie Boyle on MTW, he resorts far too easily to saying something deliberatley controversial rather than actually funny, but I quite enjoyed his standup show that I saw on DVD not so long ago.

Back on topic. I think MM is a very funny chap and his standup show is certainly a lot funnier than his slot on MTW (his routine about having a baby son that can only say 'no 'jeeeeeews' is hilarious IMO). My GF wants to book tickets to see him at Sheffield Arena in October and I may just be tempted to go with her.

I must be missing something, because i think he's about as funny as herpes. He comes across as the self conscious annoyingly loud kid in the class that tried too hard to be popular and you just felt a little bit embarrased for. All imho of course.

I must be missing something, because i think he's about as funny as herpes. He comes across as the self conscious annoyingly loud kid in the class that tried too hard to be popular and you just felt a little bit embarrased for. All imho of course.

Yeah, that's pretty much what I don't like about him. He's trying to hard.

I'm currently a Michael McIntyre fan, I saw his DVD and thought it was very funny. I like his style although, like Jimmy Carr, I can see why he's not to some people's tastes.

Would like to get tickets.

I can see why people like him, but for me he is just too irritating, even if some of his material is actually quite good.

I like Jimmy Carr though. For dead-pan humour there is nobody better IMO.

Funny you should say that cos I don't like Frankie Boyle on MTW, he resorts far too easily to saying something deliberatley controversial rather than actually funny, but I quite enjoyed his standup show that I saw on DVD not so long ago.

Back on topic. I think MM is a very funny chap and his standup show is certainly a lot funnier than his slot on MTW (his routine about having a baby son that can only say 'no 'jeeeeeews' is hilarious IMO). My GF wants to book tickets to see him at Sheffield Arena in October and I may just be tempted to go with her.

I like Frankie Boyle, although he does tend to resort to stereotypes about Scotland a bit too often on MTW. I remember once he had to talk about Diana during that 'Wheel of news' round. He said this:

Ok on occasions but nowhere near as funny as Jack Dee or Stewart Lee. Or George Carlin and Bill Hicks for that matter, but admittedly their recent live stuff isn't up to much.

I might as well do the ho-ho, split my sides reply as anybody. I think MM is fairly refreshing as a comedian. He's quite light, but he finds an edge, which is definitely funny. He always looks as if he's not quite in a comfort zone, and that helps. One to watch, along with that welsh announcer on Dave, who is also doing some Welsh Tourist Board adverts. He's unexpectedly funny too in stand-up.

Watched a clip of very recent Billy Connolly stand-up, the other day. Made me think it was his time to retire. It was so unfunny.

Times change, but Martel never varies.

Bill Bailey had got to be the best for me.

Trouble with Bill Bailey, is that he's not consistent. Sometimes he's side-splittingly funny. Other times he's just funny. Never unfunny though. When he's on form though, there's no one better.

I remember him gently taking the p!ss out of Stephen Fry on QI, and it was utterly hilarious. Phil Jupitus nearly had a heart attack, he was laughing so hard [good laugher is JP], and the audience were practically wetting themselves. SF was shouting, you beast, you beast..! :)

Trouble with Bill Bailey, is that he's not consistent. Sometimes he's side-splittingly funny. Other times he's just funny. Never unfunny though. When he's on form though, there's no one better.

I remember him gently taking the p!ss out of Stephen Fry on QI, and it was utterly hilarious. Phil Jupitus nearly had a heart attack, he was laughing so hard [good laugher is JP], and the audience were practically wetting themselves. SF was shouting, you beast, you beast..! :)

BB is so clever. His latest DVD (Part Troll) is a blast :D

I'm going to see this bloke in October - I was put on the spot being asked if I wanted a ticket and had to make a decision then so I just said yes. I'm seeing Jimmy Carr in April. I liked the MM DVD I watched but have seen nothing of Jimmy Carr - how does he compare?

I can't remember that moment, but the funniest QI clip I have ever seen has to be this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13VEonU3hWU

Bailey, Carr, Fry, Brydon and Davies. 5 of the funniest men on TV and that's what you get. :lol:

I got ham but I'm not a hamster! :D

Great DVD, although I did like Part Troll more.

"Like fundamentalist Islam, the AA don't like it when you leave"

"I'm so hairy, the only tattoos that would look good on me are things you might glimps through a dense forrest. So I've got a burned out Vauxhall Astra, a disused chemical storage facility and a notorious local dogging site"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13VEonU3hWU

Bailey, Carr, Fry, Brydon and Davies. 5 of the funniest men on TV and that's what you get. :lol:

That is an excellent one too. When Jimmy Carr first appeared on the show, he didn't quite get the swing of it IMO. But by the time that clip came along, he'd well and truly got the feel. Great stuff from the 4 which left SF and the audience quite helpless. :lol: