led tv's

Saint Keith

If you skip back a few months you'll find the answer to your question. The quick answer is that Plasma TVs use twice as much power as an old equivalent sized CRT TV, and LCDs [not LEDs] use half the amount of power as old CRTs. So unless you're Saint George, or have a generator and a forest, the no brainer is an LCD TV, if you're going to have one or the other. Quality is dependant upon manufacturer. Do a lot of research.

You can get OLED' (organic light emitting diode) tv's, but I doubt thats what he meant. Think that tech currently maxes out at about 5inches or something. Means you can have a tv about one inch thick and the picture clarity is immence, but getting a big tv out of it is some way off yet.

We were waiting to get a Sony Bravia but they were never in stock. We ended up getting a Samsung 42" 8 Series from Novatech. It's got a slightly better spec. than the Bravia and cheaper. With HD it is the dogs. It's 100Hz, or 100 frames per second so there's virtually no motion blur which is great for footy or other sport. Dynamic contrast ratio is 70000:1, the Sony was 50000:1 so the dark/light contrast is marginally better with the Samsung (depending on how it was tested I suppose....)

Anyway, we're happy with it and we spent quite a bit of time researching which one to get.

LED TV's have an LED backlighting rather than a lamp arrangment like an LCD, which means than can react faster for colour changes, hence the excellent blacks and colours they can acheive and slimness! And their working life is 3x longer than LCD!

Definately the TV to get if you can afford it, until OLED's become more affordable! :D

LED TV's have an LED backlighting rather than a lamp arrangment like an LCD, which means than can react faster for colour changes, hence the excellent blacks and colours they can acheive and slimness! And their working life is 3x longer than LCD!

Definately the TV to get if you can afford it, until OLED's become more affordable! :D

thanks for that, appreciate it.. what are oled's?

Bloody hell, I didn't for a moment think you meant one of those. Besides, I didn't think the technology had moved on enough, just yet.

Time passes, when you're not paying attention. ;)

are they any good then, or just expensive because they're new?

thanks for that, appreciate it.. what are oled's?

HTH

http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/oled.htm

EDIT: The ones you linked to are another step in the direction of LCD technology, by having them back lit by LEDs, which use less power than a lamp. OLEDs use even less power, and are supposedly far more accurate in the overall picture. Anyway, read the How It Works article.

Edited by St Landrew

• 12 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

TVs are one thing that have changed massively in 10-12 years. A bloke on my team at work has just bought a 77" LG. It costs about £3k if not more at the thing is a monster. 10 years ago that wouldn't have been a thing, and I think 42, maybe 50 was the biggest and people were still debating LED vs Plasma. Personally I've gone through 4 main (in the lounge) TVs in this time, with each being pushed to the next room as the new one comes in, bar one, a Panasonic, which was rubbish and died completely. 

But I also remember not that long ago, perhaps 2002, buying a fat 32" CRT widescreen and being really excited. The bastard thing weighed a tonne. I lived in a townhouse back then and carried the thing up 2 flights of stairs, nearly killed me, heavy as f**k. 

7 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

TVs are one thing that have changed massively in 10-12 years. A bloke on my team at work has just bought a 77" LG. It costs about £3k if not more at the thing is a monster. 10 years ago that wouldn't have been a thing, and I think 42, maybe 50 was the biggest and people were still debating LED vs Plasma. Personally I've gone through 4 main (in the lounge) TVs in this time, with each being pushed to the next room as the new one comes in, bar one, a Panasonic, which was rubbish and died completely. 

But I also remember not that long ago, perhaps 2002, buying a fat 32" CRT widescreen and being really excited. The bastard thing weighed a tonne. I lived in a townhouse back then and carried the thing up 2 flights of stairs, nearly killed me, heavy as f**k. 

When I dumped our large CRT model, I think it might have been 28”, it was the first thing that I had thrown away that was in good working order. I could barely lift it when I bought it and it needed two of us to carry it to my car. At the tip a young man just picked it up with two hands and carried it to put on the pile with all the others.

When I used to be in TV research up until 1982 the talk was all about being able to make 14” LCD screens for small TVs and portable PCs. Phillips had just bought a production line of Sharp in order to get some experience. It might have been the other way round.

21 minutes ago, whelk said:

Will OLED tvs continue to fall in price? Have two perfectly good TVs but the sharpness of OLED appeals but cannot really justify it other than being a twat.

I am a twat and I did buy one, have to say the image is astonishing. The first time I watched sky sports in 4K they were interviewing David Moyes, I never knew he was quite so grotesque.

• Haha 1