Exeter v Saints

VectisSaint

Shame Rupes and Mikey Wilde were not there to celebrate

As the chairman of one of the world's most dynamic investment banking companies, he received the result by text. He allowed himself a few seconds of pause, confident in that his decision to bring the Golden Duo to St Mary's has now been vindicated, and then continued to work.

As the chairman of one of the world's most dynamic investment banking companies, he received the result by text. He allowed himself a few seconds of pause, confident in that his decision to bring the Golden Duo to St Mary's has now been vindicated, and then continued to work.

Are investment banks open and trading at 21:30 on a Tuesday?

This Scooby mush is somethin` else

I think he needs help.......professional help!

Or...

As an amateur farmer, he paused while overseeing the farm-hands muck spreading, leant against the wing of his Range Rover Vogue, took a puff on his Cohiba, heard the result on Radio Five and relaxed in the knowledge that once again, despite everyone else being in the sh1t, he was alright Jack...

Or...

As an amateur farmer, he paused while overseeing the farm-hands muck spreading, leant against the wing of his Range Rover Vogue, took a puff on his Cohiba, heard the result on Radio Five and relaxed in the knowledge that once again, despite everyone else being in the sh1t, he was alright Jack...

I like that:D

:smt041Well done Saints, sounded like a good display, this will help build confidence, especially after Cardiff. Great way to come back from a defeat. McGoldrick could be proving me wrong, last season a I thought he was highly overated, but maybe JP has found what makes him tick, just maybe he will become our 20+ goals a season hitman. I'm falling in love with my club again. Up Yours Burley ! :smt075

Looks like we found it hard going even against Exeter and but for that penalty we might have been embarrassed once again. Surely we should be able to shut out teams of that low calibre and not allow them anywhere near our goal? Still, taking the positives, more matches under their belts and no serious injuries so hopefully our lads are quick enough learners to be using this experience to hone their system. They'll need all the guile they can muster to do any serious damage to Birmingham at the weekend.

Lets not pretend that this match should have been 4-0 to Saints or something for it to be a good results. Five CCC teams went out today against lower league oposition and one needed extra time for the win. A 3-1 win away from home is a good results. Nothing to get carried away with but nothing to be overly critical about as well. On Saturday Davis will be back in goal and Killer back in defence so that should tighten things at the back. Bring on Birmingham!

Lets not pretend that this match should have been 4-0 to Saints or something for it to be a good results. Five CCC teams went out today against lower league oposition and one needed extra time for the win. A 3-1 win away from home is a good results. Nothing to get carried away with but nothing to be overly critical about as well. On Saturday Davis will be back in goal and Killer back in defence so that should tighten things at the back. Bring on Birmingham!

Good post. Balanced and considered. You feeling alright? ;)

Just back from the game and all I can say about tonight is a win is a win. Saints as usual made hard work of it in the first half but gave a far better performance second.

Spiderman is not a centre Back and was much better second when he returned to mid field. Wotton playing at the back tightened things up and was able to deal with the strikers with more guile and experience of the English game.

The same could be said of John as a centre Forward he knows how to deal with the centre Backs whereas Mighty Mac was better coming at the defence with the ball at his feet. As he proved with a very ggod goal and also getting the pen which he took and wouldn't allow John or Surman the chance.. Well taken pen by Mac.

lol

A good result. It couldn't be taken for granted, as other CCC teams playing lower league clubs, have discovered - just as we did last year at Peterborough.

It gives us at least one more game, and the opportunity to earn a few more £s from gate money, but more important, it is one more proper match for these players to learn to play together.

A good result. It couldn't be taken for granted, as other CCC teams playing lower league clubs, have discovered - just as we did last year at Peterborough.

It gives us at least one more game, and the opportunity to earn a few more £s from gate money, but more important, it is one more proper match for these players to learn to play together.

Yep agree with all of this.

Big test on saturday, looking forward to it.

Just got back.

First half we were absolutely awful, the system wasn't working at all, Mcgoldrick was playing far too deep, we weren't closing down the Exeter players and allowing them far too much time on the ball, couldn't string any passes together, schneiderlin at centre back was dodgy and Bialkowski was DREADFUL.

Wotton was the only player to come out with any real credit IMO, he got forward well to assist Holmes for his goal and got back on a number of occasions to clear the ball in scrambles, no nonense football, just a player we need in our team.

Second half was much better, put Wotton at centre back and moved to Schneiderlin to midfield - who unfortunately was still having a poor game, completely anonymous throughout.

The main change was that we brought on Stern John for Jake Thompson - this changed the game SIGNIFICANTLY. This system worked much better, as John was holding up the ball expertly and this boded well for the whole team as our passing and link up play was much better.

Lallana seemed to link up much better with John who was holding up and laying off, than he did with McGoldrick who was previously chasing lost causes.

But even though we moved McGoldrick out wide, he seemed to benefit with general link up play too, as John held off up to three players at a time, to lay the ball off in neat moves, which involved neat moves between Lallana and McGoldrick and much more chances were created.

Lovely goal by McGoldrick :)

I really hope we play the following team against Birmingham on Saturday

Davis

James

Svensson

Perry

Surman

Gillett

Wotton

Lallana

McGoldrick

Holmes

John

Subs: Forecast, Thomas, Schneiderlin, Dyer, BWP.

Bialkowski -3- awful, wasn't concentrating for a backpass and almost let it go straight in, spilt a really tame shot straight into the path of one of exeter's strikers, parried a shot right into the path of exeter striker and they should have scored rebound, Spilt a shot Lee Bowyer against Dida style and almost dropped it in the net, should have claimed cross for exeter's goal.

James -6- was solid, defended when needed, but seemed to take far too long to clear the ball sometimes - tried playing his way out of trouble, rather than getting clear like Wotton for example.

Schneiderlin -5- looked uncomfortable at centre back and was largely anonymous when moved to midfield too.

Perry -6- generally solid, overhit backpass caught bart napping in goal, poor positioning for a few shots which exeter lashed wide and should have scored

Surman -6- Didn't really notice him, not a bad thing I guess...

Thompson -6- worked hard, but with little success.

Wotton -7- one of our better players in the game, great assist for Holmes' goal and put ina good shift, making lots of no-nonense clearances - rather than the usual ****ing around with the ball of our other defenders/midfielders

Gillett -5- a couple of mis-timed tackles from him and didn't break up play as well as previous games.

Holmes -6- took his goal well, should have scored a second - was clean through and had ages to compose himself but shot straight at keeper, didnt prove to be a big enough attacking threat down the left hand side..

Lallana -7- struggled in a unsuccessful system in the first half, but linked up really well with Stern John in the second half, showing some neat passes and flicks to create chances for teammates.

McGoldrick -7- was chasing shadows for most of the first half, but like Lallana, benefited from feeding off of John and at right wing looked much more threatening - did really well for his first goal and a dangerous run into the box earned him a second goal, which he tucked away nicely, his confidence will be sky high.

Stern John -7- his arrival changed the game, his hold up play was great and at times he was holding off three players at a time, we look far more dangerous with john in the team and he should be a dead cert to start in a lone striker system, with McGoldrick wide right.

Edited by saintrich

Just recently got back from the game. As ottery st mary said, a win is a win, but I'd have to say that 3-1 rather flattered us considering how we played during the first half. Exeter could well have scored four goals with more luck. Equally though, we could have had a few more. It was just one of those games. A one goal win would have been fair, in my opinion - we deserved it, but not by very much.

The first goal was really excellent, Paul Wooton latched onto a long ball down the left, took it inside, then put it across the face of goal for Holmes to turn in skilfully. The second goal probably looked good in the highlights, but to be honest the Exeter defence let McGoldrick run through them. It may well have been the threat of Stern John nearby that gave the space for the goal, as his passing and link up with Lallana and McGoldrick once SJ came on really opened up Exeter's defence. I didn't see the third goal too well, as it was down the other end from us, but I would suspect it was just a case of failure to clear the ball away. Our final goal was a penalty - I personally wasn't certain it was one, as I though the Exeter player might have got the ball, but the defence didn't complain much. There was a disagreement between Drew Surman and McGoldrick over who should take the penalty, but DMG put it away well, right down the middle.

Player Ratings:

Bialkowski: 6 - Dodgy at times, there was a massive scare when Perry tried to pass the ball back to him, but Bart had come out for it right at the start of the match. Did well to recover, but lack of communication with the defenced was a concern. Also did some juggling and ball dropping, but made good saves well called upon and fairly good with corners.

James: 5 - Occasionally good going forwards, but positionally poor enough that he was getting caught out by League Two players. Not Championship ready.

Perry: 6 - Again, a worrying lack of communication with the goalkeeper. Did what he needed to do, and not often caught out, but it would have be nice to see Perry head the ball to a Saints player at some point.

Schneiderlin: 5 - Clearly not a centre back, although he was adequate there if nothing more. Nearly absent in midfield in the second half. needs to work harder to get himself involved in the game.

Surman: 7 - Good while defending, linked up well with Holmes down the left going forward.

Wooton: 6 - Reasonable as a midfielder in the first half, and solid alongside Perry at the back in the second.

Gillett: 6 - Unremarkable. I really can't remember him doing anything good or bad all night.

Thompson: 6 - Like Gillett, played a part but not a lot to say about him.

Holmes: 8 - Excellent. Stayed very wide all night, providing somewhere to pass to into space if the midfield became stagnated. Pacy and tricky, Exeter's right back could not handle him. Crossing could be slightly better, but his goal was really excellent, and he ought to have scored again after being put through by a delightful Lallana pass.

Lallana: 7 - A bit absent in the first half, but good in linking up once SJ came on. Played one pass that should have led to a goal.

McGoldrick: 8 - Gets points for the goals, but didn't contribute that much else in his forward position. Probably better out on the wing for now.

John: 8 - His ability to hold the ball up and distribute it out wide is exactly what we need. Stern should start up front every match he's available, as long as we have the self control to keep the ball on the ground rather than hoof it when he's on, Stern will help create and score goals.

Man Of The Match - Lee Holmes

Exeter were surprisingly good, and they'll have no trouble staying in League Two this season (although it's obviously going to be a challenge for anyone except Luton, Bournemouth and Rotherham to go down). In the first half, their passing and movement was high class, and they out pretty-footballed us - we were chasing shadows for at least 20 minutes. Stern John coming on changed the game, but we did rather worryingly resort to hoofball for much of the second half. In short, if we play like that against Birmingham at the weekend, we may well get absolutely killed.

PS: Did anyone understand that counting chant Exeter were singing? "You're not twenty-six, you're not twenty-six, you're not twenty-, you're not twenty-, you're not twenty-six. You're not twenty-seven..." Bizarre.

That was the most bizarre chant I've ever heard!!

Anyway, Bialkowski was not dreadful. If it wasn't for him in the first half, we would have been 3-0 down. What about his point-blank double save?

We were terrible first half and were lucky not to go in losing at half-time.

Saintrich and I must have been watching a different game because Paul Wotton was awful. Poor touches and terrible passing. I think he let the crowd get to him.

Lee Holmes was quick but had no real end product (apart from his goal). The best player for me was McGoldrick.

PS: Did anyone understand that counting chant Exeter were singing? "You're not twenty-six, you're not twenty-six, you're not twenty-, you're not twenty-, you're not twenty-six. You're not twenty-seven..." Bizarre.

It was to do with the number on Bart's shirt - 28. I guess if a GK isn't number one they start the chant.

That was the most bizarre chant I've ever heard!!

Anyway, Bialkowski was not dreadful. If it wasn't for him in the first half, we would have been 3-0 down. What about his point-blank double save?

you are kidding surely?

I was sitting in the area with the Exeter fans in the centre stand. They were in histerics with the clowns antics.He caught the ball and dropped it through his legs he never knew whether to come and clear and stay on his line.The douible save you say about I was in line with, the first save was good but he pushed the ball straight to the onrushing forward who should have scored but hit it straight at Bart.As for their goal and a couple of catches for the cameras just added to the very poor display.

First 20 minutes we were not in it.Thomson looks as though he will be OK later on but at the moment not ready.

Gillete though tidy was not really in the game and we needed Euell to add a bit of bite to the midfield.

We came into the game and some good passing moves were good to watch.

Holmes was my M.o.t.m. Wotton cleverly broke their offside trap and Holmes did a great finish.

Quite a few scares the defence were unsure and Bart was awful, comical if it wasn't so serious.

Second half Wotton went intodefence and Morgan moved into midfield.We looked better and the quality of the attacking was a beauty to behold.Stern made a big difference and the inter play between Holmes, Lallana , Mcg, and John was a great.

Holmes went thropugh and although he did miss he looked that he would score and it was a surprise he did not, unlike the feeling you get when some players are bearing in on goal.

As for their goal it was a joke and Bart againwas at fault.

Overall the defending is a worry, the attacking good on the eye.

Lee Holmes potential to be a very good signing, and all those Derby fans who said he was poor, are not very good judges if he keeps up the standard.

As usual people see things differently in the game. I think this is quite often because we see what we went expecting to see.

A common thread to the match reports though is the ineffectiveness of Spiderman, which is a bit worrying. From what I saw pre season he looked a class above the rest of the team but he sounds a bit shell-shocked by the realities of the real thing. Lets hope its just an adjustment period! ...and no, for all is ability I don't think he is a CB.

We really are a Jekyll anf Hyde team. It seems that there is always a poor half and a much improved half and it varies as to which half it is. There has not been one serious game yet under JP where we have had two decent halfs in the same game.

If an independent witness that didn't know the names of the teams or the players was listening and had been told that one team was being coached in the total football style, he would have put money on that team being Exeter. Several times the commentary counted 12/14 passes strung together by them and their good movement off the ball in the first half.

Things go better for us in the second half after some tactical switches, but by then, we could have been chasing the game instead of holding a narrow lead against the run of play.

I'll look forward to the time that we play with fluency both halves and hope that it comes against Brum on Saturday.

We really are a Jekyll anf Hyde team. It seems that there is always a poor half and a much improved half and it varies as to which half it is. There has not been one serious game yet under JP where we have had two decent halfs in the same game.

If an independent witness that didn't know the names of the teams or the players was listening and had been told that one team was being coached in the total football style, he would have put money on that team being Exeter. Several times the commentary counted 12/14 passes strung together by them and their good movement off the ball in the first half.

Things go better for us in the second half after some tactical switches, but by then, we could have been chasing the game instead of holding a narrow lead against the run of play.

I'll look forward to the time that we play with fluency both halves and hope that it comes against Brum on Saturday.

From what I saw Wes, that was not quite the case.Exeter were not playing good passing football but our defence and midfield was not balanced. We did play some quite good stuff in periods in the first half and made a few chances. The defence were made very nervous by some slapstick goalkeeping. Perry lost faith in leaving the ball for Bart and so ended up kicking the ball away insted of leaving it for him.When Jan made the changes and the balance looked better we were fluid.

Thomson will be good but at present he makes the wrong decisions and couldnt find our own man.

Interesting reading - it is still very early days and we will be able to form a much better judgement after 8 or 10 games. An away win at Exeter is a perfectly good result (ask Man Utd) and i am generally encouraged.

This is a young team still feeling its way and has made a reasonable start.

Nice to win an away game for the first time since December, even if it was only against League 2 opposition. McGoldrick is still far from the finished article, but is coming along well and had a decent game tonight. Thompson looked promising again, like he did on Saturday. Agree with Rory about Saintrich's bizzare ratings. Bart kept us in it and overall did pretty well.

Vindicated?

We beat exeter ffs.

you are kidding surely?

I was sitting in the area with the Exeter fans in the centre stand. They were in histerics with the clowns antics.He caught the ball and dropped it through his legs he never knew whether to come and clear and stay on his line.The douible save you say about I was in line with, the first save was good but he pushed the ball straight to the onrushing forward who should have scored but hit it straight at Bart.As for their goal and a couple of catches for the cameras just added to the very poor display.

I'm glad someone agrees! His performance was a joke.

Saintrich and I must have been watching a different game because Paul Wotton was awful. .

If two assists and two goal line clearances, along with a generally solid display, make a performance 'awful' i'd quite like to see what you rate as a decent performance ;)

I guess it was somewhat inevitable that a young team managed by a manager with no previous CCC experience would take some time to adjust and find the right balance.

What is encouraging though is JP doesn't seem afraid of admitting something is wrong and changing it. By the sounds of last night, he tried something in the first half, it didn't work, so he changed it around and it worked much better. Hopefully this lesson will be taken into the next game and we will be better. If this story continues, with us improving with each game, we could see some huge improvements after the first 8-10 games.

I'm not so sure that our previous manager thought the same as this, insisting instead on sticking with the same crap or changing EVERYTHING with no real logic. It's a nice change :)

Can't agree either, Wotton in centre midfield was almost useless, marking space half the time, pointing and telling people who to mark and marking nobody himself and kept humping it up the field which we are not doing so much this season. Thought he was more solid at centre half in the second half, mainly because he didn't do much of the linking up with Lallana and McG which led to us being much better passing side in the second half and deserving the victory.

. Bart kept us in it and overall did pretty well.
Are you for real??? Were we at different games?

In the first 2 minutes he came charging out didnt call and Perry nearly passed it into an open goal.He then took a simple catch dropped the ball through his legs.He made a pathetic diving catch for the cameras and nearly spilled it.He did not at any time take a cross fom a corner.The ball was cleared off the line twice. A shot at him at head height spilled from his hands and fortunately went sideways and not to the goal.His distribution was useless and and as for the goal it was comical.Read my earlier post regarding the double save.

As I stated I was sitting with the Exeter fans and it was comical how they viewed him and they sensed how unsettled the team were with the keeper.

Edited by OldNick

Can't agree either, Wotton in centre midfield was almost useless, marking space half the time, pointing and telling people who to mark and marking nobody himself and kept humping it up the field which we are not doing so much this season. Thought he was more solid at centre half in the second half, mainly because he didn't do much of the linking up with Lallana and McG which led to us being much better passing side in the second half and deserving the victory.
I think on this 1 I agree although his clever run from midfield breaking their off side trap was very good and he took his time finding the very impressive Holmes who put the ball away well.

I guess it was somewhat inevitable that a young team managed by a manager with no previous CCC experience would take some time to adjust and find the right balance.

What is encouraging though is JP doesn't seem afraid of admitting something is wrong and changing it. By the sounds of last night, he tried something in the first half, it didn't work, so he changed it around and it worked much better. Hopefully this lesson will be taken into the next game and we will be better. If this story continues, with us improving with each game, we could see some huge improvements after the first 8-10 games.

I'm not so sure that our previous manager thought the same as this, insisting instead on sticking with the same crap or changing EVERYTHING with no real logic. It's a nice change :)

Our previous manager was Pearson, who certainly cannot be accused of what you wrote in your last paragraph. I'm assuming you meant Burley?

In a nutshell, without John coming on we'd potentially have crashed and burned like so many other CCC teams last night?

mmmm..... time to rethink selling him Mr Lowe don't you think?

has Lowe said he wants to sell him then? or is this another post similar to the Wilde not at Exeter one?