How long before we reclaim our rightful position above the Skates?

Mole

The natural order of things has been turned on it's head in recent years, but with the Skates now facing financial armageddon and Saints on the brink of a bright new dawn, surely it won't belong before they are back where they belong.

My gut feeling is that we'll both be championship clubs in two years time and we'll be waving to them as they tumble down the football league.

Back-to -back league titles, record home gate of 51,000+ and more FA Cup Final appearances - we have a long way to go before we are the senior club in terms of history and reputation. Just let's get back to being a decent team and stop worrying about crappy statues and what the Skates are doing

Highly unlikely we get promoted this year, but they may come down this season or next. So I reckon we will both be in the Championship in season 10-11, then season 10-12 we will be champions while those fags come mid table in the Championship.

Back-to -back league titles, record home gate of 51,000+ and more FA Cup Final appearances - we have a long way to go before we are the senior club in terms of history and reputation. Just let's get back to being a decent team and stop worrying about crappy statues and what the Skates are doing
and 40 years in our shadow.

Well said. The rivalry is great but lets not forget that they have some 60 years above us overall.

and 40 years in our shadow.

Yes but according to book I have just been reading Portsmouth have won more games against us than we have won against them.

Mind you most Pompey fans are concerned that like us they may soonbe relegated as they really have no team to support just players coming in and then leaving.

Yes but according to book I have just been reading Portsmouth have won more games against us than we have won against them.

Saints Wins Draws Pompey Wins

League 14 8 8

FA Cup 4 0 0

Lea Cup 1 0 0

Total 19 8 8

And that is going back to 1905

HTH

We haven't even been taken over yet! Lets get our own future sorted first before we start needlessly speculating and worrying about that lot down the road! We shouldn't be getting too ahead of ourselves just yet.

This is not true.

If they don't get taken over I think there's a very good chance they will go down next season. We won't be down in League 1 for long.

Got a gut feeling we wont walk league 1 (billionaire owners or not)

But I admire your optimism sir! :D

Not this season maybe, but we we'll be back in the Championship soon enough. We are much much bigger than most teams in League 1, it's only a matter of time.

Not this season maybe, but we we'll be back in the Championship soon enough. We are much much bigger than most teams in League 1, it's only a matter of time.

Bollix! We were much much bigger than many CCC teams in 2005 according to some on here. This attitude is why this club is a national joke.

Bollix! We were much much bigger than many CCC teams in 2005 according to some on here. This attitude is why this club is a national joke.

It's not ******** at all to say we are on a completely different level to the likes of Exeter, Yeovil, Bristol Rovers, Carlisle, Hartlepool, Oldham etc... We will be back in the Championship at the absolute latest 3 or 4 years time, I guarantee it.

Let's try walking before we run eh? We are still at the time being in administration, and about to face league one with a 10 point deduction? These are the things that we need to be concerned about at the moment!

Im not convinced we will come close to promotion next season, to reach the play-offs we will need to show title-challenging form, the winning mentality is not something that has really surrounded St. Mary's in recent times.

First lets stable the ship, sort the financial mess and ownership issues out first. Then set about piecing together a TEAM that wants to play for saints and help us move back up the leagues.

I will speculate that the premier will again split,the big boys will break away to form a super league consisting of the cream of Europe.

If we do ever get back to the premier league it won't be the one we left,it will just be league of the leftovers a bit like a premier championship.

Pompey will probably still be kicking around in one of these leagues but the money would have long gone,following the teams that broke away.

Whoever is left will be in massive debt that they are unable to pay but eventually the game will become fairer and non elitist.

This is not true.

If they don't get taken over I think there's a very good chance they will go down next season. We won't be down in League 1 for long.

Er you pony boys said, (We will not be in the fizzy for long),,,,,,,,Oh sorry! silly me you were right on that one,:smt118

Book Saints v Pompey page 267

MATCHES 209 SAINTS 81 POMPEY 95 DRAW 33

There is also a nice picture of FITZHUGH FELLOW and MLT on page 275

You think we've played 209 times in pompey's 111 year history?

So nearly twice every season?

This MUST be counting non-competitive matches.

With the greatest of respect lads you have to get out of League One first and that isnt a gimme by any means
That probably won't be necessary. We just have to wait 3-4 seasons for Poopey to be in the lower reaches of Div 1 too.

Who's to say a buyer will invest the kind of money that needs to go up two leagues ? I imagine we could be talking anything up to £50million all in. There are plenty of multi millionaires in boardrooms in these leagues that don't spend.

I will speculate that the premier will again split,the big boys will break away to form a super league consisting of the cream of Europe.

If we do ever get back to the premier league it won't be the one we left,it will just be league of the leftovers a bit like a premier championship.

Pompey will probably still be kicking around in one of these leagues but the money would have long gone,following the teams that broke away.

Whoever is left will be in massive debt that they are unable to pay but eventually the game will become fairer and non elitist.

I would sign up for that happening.

The big fear is that Man Utd and Chelsea will certainly be looking to break away, especially Utd after being swamped by Real Madrid in the transfer market this summer.

The collective bargaining agreement for the TV cash cow that Premiership club have seen as a godsend for so long, is suddenly being seen as a millstone around their necks by Man Utd.

There's no collective agreement in Spain (or Italy) which mean Real and Barca can cut their own deals; hence they can flog their TV rights to whoever they like for whatever they can get.

This won't be lost on England's Big Four, particularly Man Utd and Chelsea.

I've said on here before the big fear is that the Big Four will start some back door negotiations to free themselves from the shackle of the collective deal, and the likes of Sky and ESPN (the big new players on the block) owe no loyatly to Prem clubs.

If the Big Four decide to go off and play somewhere else - for example a European or even a World League - TV will follow them, and everyone else can go to hell.

Premiership clubs outside the top four will suddenly not seem attractive propositions to the money men, and the money will evaporate from the game.

The Rest will have to make enormous and painful adjustments before football eventually returns to some sort of sanity.

I genuinely think I'll be dead before Saint are in the top division above Pimpey.

By the way I'm 47 (on July 17th) and keep fit and I am very healthy for my age and if I have any say in it I intend to live for a lot more years.

In short I'm not confident and I think no matter what happens we'll be a League Division Three club for quite a few more years to come....

**** me a lot of gloom mungers on here, I can't see it be any longer than one season and one game. With any luck it will be the opening fixture next season and we can do the honours. Then the last game of the season with our promotion guaranteed we let West Brom beat us so they can leap frog over Pompey and stick them back down.

The big fear is that Man Utd and Chelsea will certainly be looking to break away, especially Utd after being swamped by Real Madrid in the transfer market this summer.

There's no collective agreement in Spain (or Italy) which mean Real and Barca can cut their own deals; hence they can flog their TV rights to whoever they like for whatever they can get.

Italy are reverting back to the collective deal from this season.

Why would the big four break away when at the moment they have got the best of both worlds, domestic and European and are coining it in on both fronts.

They may look to cut their own deal but will stay in the domestic league while there is a lot of money to be made here. The other clubs will have to kick them out and I can't see that happening for a long time.

5 years min

and thats being extremely optimistic

I think its being incredibly pessimistic.

Portsmouth are very likely to be relegated from the Premier League in the next three years, regardless of their rich owners.

If Newcastle, with the fifth biggest wage bill in the league can go down, then I think Pompey are more than capable of having a nightmare season.

And in those three years we will be back in the CCC.

So that's three years having us in the same division, meaning we could finish above them in the fourth year.

Perfectly possible, so us being above PFC in five years is fairly realistic. And I've got no rose coloured specs on.

I know that you lot are very fond of rewring history but we have not been in more finals than you. Won more often yes, scored more goals yes, conceded fewer goals yes but more finals than you-NO!

1900 Bury 4 Southampton 0

1902 Sheffield United 2 Southampton 1

1929 Bolton 2 Pompey 0

1934 Man C 2 Pompey 1

1939 Pompey 4 Wolves 1

1976 Southampton 1 Man u 0

2003 Arsenal 1 Southampton 0

2008 Pompey 1 Cardiff 0

As I have pointed out before you are the only team to reach a final from three different divisions and you even have a chance to improve on that record this year.

Hmmmm....whilst I am no particular lover of the Blue Few I cannot help thinking we should stop the gloating. We have had an absolutely awful last 5 years and been through a horrendous last few months in particular. The Swiss deal looks like it's done barring the shouting so hopefully better things are ahead for us. BUT, I would not wish what we've gone through on my worst football enemies, Pompey and Spurs included. Remember people we very nearly ceased to exist at all and the whole thing has left me shattered and my nerves shot to pieces at times. I freely admit to waving bye-bye to Leeds at SMS and thinking that'll never be us but how very wrong I was. So ,for me, the gloating is over because we very nearly died the death and if you want any further reminder of what could have been - Dickens's "The ghost of Christmas yet to come" in Scrooge is apt here - just spare a thought for Farsley Celtic who have no league to play in next season. That could, VERY EASILY, have been us. On a brighter note I am now going to have a glass or three of red to celebrate our almost takeover. Cheers guys !!