Saints master plan...

SuperSAINT

"...a message runs across the foot of the screen asking not ‘if’ Southampton can win the Premier League, but ‘how’. This is Cortese’s vision."

And everything else is secondary, I imagine.

Apparently not all of the fanbase subscribe to this as they consider it an impossible, foolish dream. Only time will tell who's right.

But winning that cup hasn't made Swansea more desirable to join as a player has it? Swansea seemingly don't have any ambition to break into the top 4 they are happy with the prem league and maybe a cup run.

Future ambition(and whether the player believes that will be fulfilled) is surely more important than joining a team that has won a cup (like Wigan have) as they are not likely to win another for a good number of years now?

So getting into Europe via the league makes the club desirable but winning a trophy and getting into Europe doesn't?

Genius.

"...a message runs across the foot of the screen asking not ‘if’ Southampton can win the Premier League, but ‘how’. This is Cortese’s vision."

Apparently not all of the fanbase subscribe to this as they consider it an impossible, foolish dream. Only time will tell who's right.

It's a big ask. But one way to guarantee not to win anything is to set out not to win it.

Cortese has had his ambition questioned throughout his time and not been found wanting so far...

You missed all those references to the League Cup as there"small fry" which several have said specificand disparaging remarks about winning it feeling "hollow" which one poster said specifically. So not twisted at all.

Again you're being selective in your answer or you really didn't realise, "Playing a weakened side against Sunderland was a calculated risk...a risk that failed OK. This is what happens every season in the cups with Premiership clubs...limited squad resources vs. hectic schedule vs. need to blood promising young players. Everyone knows the physical demands of playing in the Premiership...there are no easy games in which to rest key players or to give fringe players or promising youngsters a chance of football at a higher level; using cup games to do this is a fact of life."

Swansea won the League Cup and had a fine league finish so this idea that you cannot do both is nonsense.

Of course it can be done but are you saying during their cup run Swansea did it without taking the same "calculated risks." I very much doubt it.

Again you're being selective in your answer or you really didn't realise, "Playing a weakened side against Sunderland was a calculated risk...a risk that failed OK. This is what happens every season in the cups with Premiership clubs...limited squad resources vs. hectic schedule vs. need to blood promising young players. Everyone knows the physical demands of playing in the Premiership...there are no easy games in which to rest key players or to give fringe players or promising youngsters a chance of football at a higher level; using cup games to do this is a fact of life."

Of course it can be done but are you saying during their cup run Swansea did it without taking the same "calculated risks." I very much doubt it.

I was responding to your claim that no one thinks the League Cup is beneath us, and your comeback is about something entirely different. Kinda like a selective answer, ain't it.

I was responding to your claim that no one thinks the League Cup is beneath us, and your comeback is about something entirely different. Kinda like a selective answer, ain't it.

The answer on that aspect was an obvious agreement that neither of us thinks that true. However if you wish to continue this in juvenile, point-scoring fashion...post away. I'll be elsewhere.

The fact still remains the happy ones fail to see or dont want to the valid reasons for a more reserved approched to the medias love in.

So people on here genuinely believe we can compete for 4th place in years to come astounds me, we can but only with huge investment and the ability to retain our best players.

Never going to happen when other teams are winning trophies is it unless we offer huge wages.

It dosen't matter dear boy, aspiration is what it's called. Oh and I'm loving 'So people on here genuinely believe' line......always makes me laugh when people roll that one out

Getting in the europa league (especially just for one season) doesn't make anyone more desirable-

#not that bright

So we're above just getting into the Europa League for just one season, then. I mean, that would be awful.

As I keep saying, the arrogance of entitlement is sweeping across this forum.

Just to recap: total season Saints have spent in the Europa League in current form: zero.

Getting in the europa league (especially just for one season) doesn't make anyone more desirable-

#not that bright

Really? Lukaku was on TV an hour ago saying how much he missed European football. The Europa is no Champions League but it is still desirable.

#or why would anyone bother entering

So we're above just getting into the Europa League for just one season, then. I mean, that would be awful.

As I keep saying, the arrogance of entitlement is sweeping across this forum.

Just to recap: total season Saints have spent in the Europa League in current form: zero.

FFS, we fielded a team against Sunderland which SHOULD have been capable of winning. Resting some senior players was vindicated with our impressive win a few days later. It is highly unlikely we would have won the cup anyway, as to do we probably would thenhave had to beat both Manchester teams and Chelsea.

As for the OP and article, an excellent read.

It is such a pity there are some on here who have to try to ruin every speck of good news with their BS. On the plus side I have finally cracked and used the ignore feature for the first person ever (not CB Fry - clue is above).

I'm not moaning, I am putting a balanced argument (my opinion) out there as afterall its a forum, its the people unable to discuss other opinions I worry about.

They delete or airbrush history to fit in with their selfish one eyed argument, its as funny as it is sad.

No you're not you dull skate troll - you are applying a negative where there isn't one...I ask from which club's support would you expect that response.

For the hard of thinking the answer is in the first seven words...skatechez knows the answer already, c*ck!

Thing is, for any normal rational level headed true fan of any club, it matters not who is 'proven right' - that's only a concern for our resident egotists ,WUMs and saddo w@nkers... For the rest of us, the fact that we support a club with a passion for following 'impossible foolish dreams' is what makes these last 5 years so exciting and interesting.

The true fan culture of football has always been about such dreams. For most the sky/prem and billionaire owners have crushed this spirit, but we are lucky, we don't seem to be deterred by glass ceilings, and will give a right old go. Whatever happens, the fun is in the trying. Anyone who can't see this is no true fan of football.

It's a great article, and some of the preparation is extreme - but it works like a dream and having this sort of level of dedication is the only way clubs like us can sneak in to get success. Porto weren't mega-stars when they won the CL for example, so anything is possible with the right preparation and foundations in place.

Although I don't rate our 'long-term' scouting for Forren ;)

Porto are a huge club with unique access to Brazil due to their history and language connection.

Porto are a huge club with unique access to Brazil due to their history and language connection.

All the huge clubs you forever go on about have massive histories, which really bares little relevance on the present day.

Yes Porto are a big fish in a relatively small pond, and have past successes. But that played little part int their winning the CL in '04 when they were extremely unfancied. That win was very much a triumph for the underdog.

Thing is, for any normal rational level headed true fan of any club, it matters not who is 'proven right' - that's only a concern for our resident egotists ,WUMs and saddo w@nkers... For the rest of us, the fact that we support a club with a passion for following 'impossible foolish dreams' is what makes these last 5 years so exciting and interesting.

The true fan culture of football has always been about such dreams. For most the sky/prem and billionaire owners have crushed this spirit, but we are lucky, we don't seem to be deterred by glass ceilings, and will give a right old go. Whatever happens, the fun is in the trying. Anyone who can't see this is no true fan of football.

Dont be silly, real football fans knew football and you are supposed to be championing died years ago, lead into gold. Sky as you say have crushed it as have teams like Liverpool who win in effect very little domestically but can still pump millions upon millions into their club as they have a bottomless pit, hope? Dont be so naive.

Edited by Barry Sanchez

All the huge clubs you forever go on about have massive histories, which really bares little relevance on the present day.

Yes Porto are a big fish in a relatively small pond, and have past successes. But that played little part int their winning the CL in '04 when they were extremely unfancied. That win was very much a triumph for the underdog.

We have to get past three of Spurs, Everton, Man City, Liverpool, Man Utd, Arsenal and Chelsea, do you honestly see that happening for a sustained period of time? Do yuo think their fans will have that? That like Father Christmas coming down the chimney is not going to happen, it simply is not, there is no argument there, Cortese will have to spend as much as them on a consistent basis and even then payers always want to go to bigger clubs.

Dont be silly, real football fans knew football and you suppose to be championing died years ago, lead into gold. Sky as you say have crushed it as have teams like Liverpool who win in effect very little domestically but can still pump millions upon millions into their club as they have a bottomless pit, hope? Dont be so naive.

What did you expect from Southampton when we were in League One? Did you hope for anything in particular?

We have to get past three of Spurs, Everton, Man City, Liverpool, Man Utd, Arsenal and Chelsea, do you honestly see that happening for a sustained period of time? Do yuo think their fans will have that? That like Father Christmas coming down the chimney is not going to happen, it simply is not, there is no argument there, Cortese will have to spend as much as them on a consistent basis and even then payers always want to go to bigger clubs.

Probably not, no. But why not give it a go?

I don't see many people saying we will. What is your problem with the club at least trying? Do you want us to just aim for mid-table, and say that is the best we can ever hope for so don't even bother aiming higher?

Let's be honest, if Cortese and co came out saying that you'd knock their lack of ambition.

I don't see many people saying we will. What is your problem with the club at least trying? Do you want us to just aim for mid-table, and say that is the best we can ever hope for so don't even bother aiming higher?

Let's be honest, if Cortese and co came out saying that you'd knock their lack of ambition.

Because to achieve what he is trying is selling people air, explain to me as I want to believe how it can be achieved?

I'm all up for the ambition but if we persist in blowing off the cup competitions following a pipe dream of winning the league our trophy cabinet will forever remain embarrassingly bare.

The really interesting thing here isn't our ambition, plenty of teams have that.

It's that the media and the England setup seem to be buying into it. They seem to think we're going to have a chance to succeed and are falling over themselves to have the chance to say I told you so if we do.

The really interesting thing here isn't our ambition, plenty of teams have that.

It's that the media and the England setup seem to be buying into it. They seem to think we're going to have a chance to succeed and are falling over themselves to have the chance to say I told you so if we do.

I agree with the ambition, our fans seizing upon it seems to imply they think other clubs dont harbour the same thing, that lack of knowledge or ignorance if you will worries me as those clubs have done it before, have huge budgets and have a huge fan base, so sorry for me being pessimistic but why should I believe?

Have you actually looked to see if that link supports your point? That link shows in each the last 5 seasons Everton have received more from outgoing transfers than they spent! :D

Saints however since returning to the Premier League have a net spend which is 3rd behind Chelsea and Man City (and we don't have the sponsorship deals or Champions League money like they do).

It never ceases to amaze me why peeps keep insisting on replying to the skate trolling c**** on here. Some peeps fall for it every time.

As for the article...TBH I'm really not surprised at the lengths we go to get things right....A lot of peeps ripped it out of Cortese when he introduced the "Southampton Way"...But peeps from around the world are now starting to sit up and take notice....Never underestimate someone as driven as Cortese....He's not here to make the numbers up, you can be sure of that.

And please do us all a favor here, and quit quoting the skate trolls.

:lol: are you completely stupid?!

That shows they have made a net profit the last 5 years! Thanks for proving my point.

All that proves is they are successful in the transfer market, how much have they spent? You make yourself look stupid with a comment like that, are Spurs scrimping due to their net spend? Dear Lord.

Have you actually looked to see if that link supports your point? That link shows in each the last 5 seasons Everton have received more from outgoing transfers than they spent! :D

Saints however since returning to the Premier League have a net spend which is 3rd behind Chelsea and Man City (and we don't have the sponsorship deals or Champions League money like they do).

Everton have spent and sold well, they are prepared to spend when they have to, not too sure what you are trying to prove.

I agree with the ambition, our fans seizing upon it seems to imply they think other clubs dont harbour the same thing, that lack of knowledge or ignorance if you will worries me as those clubs have done it before, have huge budgets and have a huge fan base, so sorry for me being pessimistic but why should I believe?

Other clubs do harbour ambition. But surely you would agree we appear to have a better strategy than say Newcastle? Or Fulham? Or Sunderland? Or West Ham? Or Villa?

So why can we not compete with the teams who have a similar strategy to ours? Like Spurs, Everton, Liverpool?

And then if we can have some success, combined with more money, we could have a crack at fourth place.

You're right, it won't be easy, but if you cannot read that article and see the evidence with your own EYES that our ambition is matched with a decent strategy, then you can't be looking very hard...

All that proves is they are successful in the transfer market, how much have they spent? You make yourself look stupid with a comment like that, are Spurs scrimping due to their net spend? Dear Lord.

No Barry, they just have no money, or assets. They don't own their stadium or training ground.

Bury your head in the sand and try turn it round all you want, but you made yourself look rather daft there. They sell simply because they cannot buy otherwise.

Everton fans will tell you the same thing. They have been successful in the transfer market yes, because they had a good manager, then replaced him with another good manager. That doesn't mean they are flush with cash.

Fact is we have massively outspent them the past two years and are closing the gap on them pretty rapidly.

Other clubs do harbour ambition. But surely you would agree we appear to have a better strategy than say Newcastle? Or Fulham? Or Sunderland? Or West Ham? Or Villa?

So why can we not compete with the teams who have a similar strategy to ours? Like Spurs, Everton, Liverpool?

And then if we can have some success, combined with more money, we could have a crack at fourth place.

You're right, it won't be easy, but if you cannot read that article and see the evidence with your own EYES that our ambition is matched with a decent strategy, then you can't be looking very hard...

Liverpool are one of the largest clubs on the planet, thats a given and Spurs are probably in the top 25 with Everton not far behind, we wont overtake them for the fact their clubs fans wont allow it.

Liverpool are one of the largest clubs on the planet, thats a given and Spurs are probably in the top 25 with Everton not far behind, we wont overtake them for the fact their clubs fans wont allow it.

Haha yeah, the fans have so much to do with what happens to a clubs fortunes right.

Let's take a look at the best fans in the world just down the road.

No Barry, they just have no money, or assets. They don't own their stadium or training ground.

Bury your head in the sand and try turn it round all you want, but you made yourself look rather daft there. They sell simply because they cannot buy otherwise.

Everton fans will tell you the same thing. They have been successful in the transfer market yes, because they had a good manager, then replaced him with another good manager. That doesn't mean they are flush with cash.

Fact is we have massively outspent them the past two years and are closing the gap on them pretty rapidly.

Us closing the gap on them will not be proved until the end of the season, not before, spending money is all well and good but you have to spend good, we have not, Ramirez and Osvaldo are not playing so near £30 Million is to waste straight away. Forren and Mayuka well thats another £7 Million, we have not done very well at all.

Dont be silly, real football fans knew football and you are supposed to be championing died years ago, lead into gold. Sky as you say have crushed it as have teams like Liverpool who win in effect very little domestically but can still pump millions upon millions into their club as they have a bottomless pit, hope? Dont be so naive.

Silly boy, you are obviously too daft to get it Dune.... Your life must be pretty dull if you only ever consider probabilities.... Some of us prefer to think of 'possibility' - try it, makes life so much more enjoyable.

All Cortese has done is look at what is possible and be determined to try it.... Based on developing talent, create an environment where they might want to stay for awhile at lest so we get the benefit. ... Both in a few years service and eventually the bigger fees... If it works great, if not, we gave it a go..... To be as cynical, miserable, ignorant and obsessive as you, to come in here to pleasure yourself in wind up attempts, is as sad as it is hilarious.....

Us closing the gap on them will not be proved until the end of the season, not before, spending money is all well and good but you have to spend good, we have not, Ramirez and Osvaldo are not playing so near £30 Million is to waste straight away. Forren and Mayuka well thats another £7 Million, we have not done very well at all.

Haha same old, same old. You make this just too easy.

How about Lovren, Wanyama, Clyne. What £22m spent on the three of them? We'd be on for double, if not more than that were we to sell them all in January. Funny J-Rod doesn't get some much stick of you now, having said a lot last season we would do well to get half back on him.

Do you think every Everton player was a massive success? I can tell you it wasn't. And given their finances that will affect them more.

Also, any idiot can see we have closed the gap on them, unless you are suggesting we will 8 places and 22 points behind them again.

Silly boy, you are obviously too daft to get it Dune.... Your life must be pretty dull if you only ever consider probabilities.... Some of us prefer to think of 'possibility' - try it, makes life so much more enjoyable.

All Cortese has done is look at what is possible and be determined to try it.... Based on developing talent, create an environment where they might want to stay for awhile at lest so we get the benefit. ... Both in a few years service and eventually the bigger fees... If it works great, if not, we gave it a go..... To be as cynical, miserable, ignorant and obsessive as you, to come in here to pleasure yourself in wind up attempts, is as sad as it is hilarious.....

I am not the one resorting to petty insults, does your blind faith extend to a belief in God, the tooth fairies? I hope it does.

Haha same old, same old. You make this just too easy.

How about Lovren, Wanyama, Clyne. What £22m spent on the three of them? We'd be on for double, if not more than that were we to sell them all in January. Funny J-Rod doesn't get some much stick of you now, having said a lot last season we would do well to get half back on him.

Do you think every Everton player was a massive success? I can tell you it wasn't. And given their finances that will affect them more.

Also, any idiot can see we have closed the gap on them, unless you are suggesting we will 8 places and 22 points behind them again.

No I am not suggesting anything, I prefer proof, you wont find many Everton fans talking about Champions League and they are far more likely to get it than we are, that tells you something.