Saints master plan...

SuperSAINT

I would not, for a club of size we are hardly swimming in silverware, and we are hardly going to win the Champions League so we should run out a few academy players, would only be fair and evenhanded.................

Suggest you are in a massive minority and I consider myself old school who still love the cups. Riches and exposure (if we won the qualifying round) woudl be incredible although I am being hypothetical as do not think it is realistic.

As I said, we´re not there for obvious reasons that most people (and all players) understand, except the normal few on here.

So you´re saying that all things players think about when joining a club is whether they can win anything?

No players ever think about the possibilities to play and be part of a team and to develop as a footballer....they would prefer sitting on the bench or in the stands week in week out as long as the club can win something...??

I think lots join for the pay packet, sweetheart.

And I love your question belittling, again, the notion of winning stuff.

Lots hope we win the FA Cup this season and see you try and shrug it off as unimportant and not what the players want to achieve.

Edited by CB Fry

Cause he thought he had a better chance playing week in week out at us than in those two clubs and therefore develop as a player??

Quite simple, anything else you want to know?

I dont share the lottery numbers though...

Well thats worked a blinder hasn't it? He could quite simply as he is quoted as saying that he came here for the money? Or is that too simplistic?

Suggest you are in a massive minority and I consider myself old school who still love the cups. Riches and exposure (if we won the qualifying round) woudl be incredible although I am being hypothetical as do not think it is realistic.

Really, how has being in the Champions League helped Everton or Newcastle?

Well thats worked a blinder hasn't it? He could quite simply as he is quoted as saying that he came here for the money? Or is that too simplistic?

Olalanna's red and white coloured specs. Players join other clubs for evil reasons like money and winning trophies (like, urgh) but they join Saints for magical reasons like team spirit, self development and living in Chilworth.

What is your point? No clubs can attract better players unless they pay more and this is part of their progression. Wages attract footballers and always has. Man City and Chelsea did this when they first acquired their sugar daddy and now can draw for reasons of being more successful but those same 'mercenaries' played their part in making them successful.

Really, how has being in the Champions League helped Everton or Newcastle?

So ultimate goal is what? How has LC helped Swansea? Tis all part of just supporting a football club. Most clubs win nothing and their fans will have ups and downs and enjoy all the wins. Bet you were the sort who never went to games in L1

These "fans" crack me up, are they for real?

As opposed to those 'fans' who just love to slag off players and question their motives for being whilst truly having no insight and speculate after watching celebrations on MOTD. Same sort of ***ts at Arsenal slagging off Ramsey and Mertesacker instantly deliver or you are cr@p and fans know best and manger knows f all. Oh hang on he does and he did.

So ultimate goal is what? How has LC helped Swansea? Tis all part of just supporting a football club. Most clubs win nothing and their fans will have ups and downs and enjoy all the wins. Bet you were the sort who never went to games in L1

Of course I did, are you trying now to call me a glory fan for us wanting to win a trophy as opposed to finishing 4th?

They might have won it. Even though they didn't they got paid a lump of money. How has winning the League Cup ever helped any club?

How big was that lump of money that Everton got being they didn't actually qualify for the Champions League?

By the way, great question on the League Cup. It would be so terrible to win it, wouldn't it? Simply awful.

Back to the OP, I think it was a brilliant article and a very enjoyable read! Great to see our club is looking to leave little to chance. It's a great strategy and builds a culture in which everything needs to fit the vision. That's how Barcelona started (waits for laughter). In my opinion what Saints are doing is far better for a club our size than what we have ever done before, or building like West Ham as someone has already mentioned. Exciting to be a Saints fan! Bring it on!!!

As opposed to those 'fans' who just love to slag off players and question their motives for being whilst truly having no insight and speculate after watching celebrations on MOTD. Same sort of ***ts at Arsenal slagging off Ramsey and Mertesacker instantly deliver or you are cr@p and fans know best and manger knows f all. Oh hang on he does and he did.

Sorry what was that rant? I slag off players as you put it as its a valid formof expression for someone who is a mercenary, this could be forgiven if he was good or even interested but he is not but we digress.

One swallow does not make a summer, Mertesacker is still dodgy and Ramsay could regress, its not unthinkable is it?

They might have won it. Even though they didn't they got paid a lump of money. How has winning the League Cup ever helped any club?

How big was that lump of money that Everton got being they didn't actually qualify for the Champions League?

By the way, great question on the League Cup. It would be so terrible to win it, wouldn't it? Simply awful.

So basically players should be able to look into the future and know what´s going to happen before they choose what club to join?

Oh to be a troll and know everything in retrospect, must be a wonderful life.

So that he stated the money amongst other reasons, that´s the only one that counts?

Well that´s of course not being simplistic, is it...

Sorry what was that rant? I slag off players as you put it as its a valid formof expression for someone who is a mercenary, this could be forgiven if he was good or even interested but he is not but we digress.

One swallow does not make a summer, Mertesacker is still dodgy and Ramsay could regress, its not unthinkable is it?

No I always respect forum opinion and man in pub over evidence of 75+ international caps for one best football countries in the World. Must be a mug can't compete with us English eh

I think lots join for the pay packet, sweetheart.

And I love your question belittling, again, the notion of winning stuff.

Lots hope we win the FA Cup this season and see you try and shrug it off as unimportant and not what the players want to achieve.

Are you saying the FA Cup is as big a cup as the league cup?

Maybe I´m strange but I would hate to do a Wigan....I prefer to see my team compete with the best teams in the best league week in week out instead of going down and play the championship again. Do I think all fans think the same, no I dont.

But it´s my opinion and as the discussion started out from players perspective I would still say that the majority of players would prefer finishing top four if that was a given choice.

Now it isn´t of course as this (as most discussions) is hypothetical. Some of us can see the different reasons to things in football, some others cant.

What is really telling is that pretty well everybody is impressed and complimentary about the article and what it tells us about the club's management and ambition. All except Barry and CB Fry that is. To them, the important thing is that we haven't yet achieved the depth of squad of the top five clubs to enable us to win the League Cup, or it is an irrelevance the way that the club treats its players and their families, as the really important things that attract a player to a club are solely how much they are paid and the possibility of winning trophies.

On past form, I'd say that the more that the Chuckle Brothers bleat about the way things are done here under the Cortese regime, the more I believe that they are going about it in exactly the right way.

Back to the OP, I think it was a brilliant article and a very enjoyable read! Great to see our club is looking to leave little to chance. It's a great strategy and builds a culture in which everything needs to fit the vision. That's how Barcelona started (waits for laughter). In my opinion what Saints are doing is far better for a club our size than what we have ever done before, or building like West Ham as someone has already mentioned. Exciting to be a Saints fan! Bring it on!!!

Completely agree - It's a great article and I cant understand why an Saints fan wouldn't enjoy it.

Of course I did, are you trying now to call me a glory fan for us wanting to win a trophy as opposed to finishing 4th?

No but sound like one of those fans who is never happy. OP was positive article and you strike me as the same sort of bloke who starts having a go at player if they don't instantly gratify you every game. As I implied a Piers Morgan sort. I don't know you of course but slagging Osvaldo is typical of such behaviour when you haven't given him a chance to settle and adjust.

Understand that the club has purchased approx. 15,000 tonnes of sand from Southern Ireland to be delivered to the Marchwood Training Complex . Estimated cost £250k

Some suggestions as to what the sand may be for. Add your own, as appropriate

1. Foundation for new pitches

2. Brazilian type beach football facility

3. Part of an Indoor Dome complex with artificial reef and lagoon etc to allow foreign players to acclimatise

4. Sand castle centre for the players children

5. Somewhere to bury the chest with all the BVI Loan money

6. To toughen up the skinny Academy U16 players who will get sand kicked in their face prior to training by the U18 squad

7. Part of a monkey petting complex. An idea borrowed from Pompey

The fact still remains the happy ones fail to see or dont want to the valid reasons for a more reserved approched to the medias love in.

So people on here genuinely believe we can compete for 4th place in years to come astounds me, we can but only with huge investment and the ability to retain our best players.

Never going to happen when other teams are winning trophies is it unless we offer huge wages.

Exactly when was the last time we let a good player join one of our opponents?

The fact still remains the happy ones fail to see or dont want to the valid reasons for a more reserved approched to the medias love in.

So people on here genuinely believe we can compete for 4th place in years to come astounds me, we can but only with huge investment and the ability to retain our best players.

Never going to happen when other teams are winning trophies is it unless we offer huge wages.

well the the plan is to field our own. If we can avoid dropping £30m each year on transfer fees, we can pay every single member of the first eleven another £50k per week. That might go some way to retaining them.

I don't see the point of the 26 technical analysts though because we all know that it is down to NCs and les Reeds gut feel on who we sign.

Only Barry could moan at an article like that.

Difference between Saints and say West Ham in terms of strategy is staggering.

Excellent article and insight into the culture of the club.

That's why he and others are now blocked, my reading pleasure of the forum is vastly heightened by removing their dross and only reading from those who add something.

What is really telling is that pretty well everybody is impressed and complimentary about the article and what it tells us about the club's management and ambition. All except Barry and CB Fry that is. To them, the important thing is that we haven't yet achieved the depth of squad of the top five clubs to enable us to win the League Cup, or it is an irrelevance the way that the club treats its players and their families, as the really important things that attract a player to a club are solely how much they are paid and the possibility of winning trophies.

On past form, I'd say that the more that the Chuckle Brothers bleat about the way things are done here under the Cortese regime, the more I believe that they are going about it in exactly the right way.

Except, of course, I've said none of that stuff.

I will have a go at people on here deciding the League Cup is beneath us, and pretending that players don't join clubs for financial reasons.

And if you can find a quote from me saying we need a top four sized squad, stick it up here. Or that how we treat our players families isn't important. You've got over a decade of forum posts from me to get through. Fill your boots.

Lastly, interesting you are so happy about a Daily Mail article as there are plenty of moments when you have remorselessly slagged them off. Funny, huh?

Edited by CB Fry

And I just happen to think it is filling a page and am not that impressed by it, sending a wag a birthday card? Ok thats fine, whats next? Christmas vouchers for them in a couple of weeks? You appear to be easily impressed my boy.

One of the best defences in Europe, 5th in the table, exciting to watch, 3 players picked for the England team,this impressess me more and proves it's working? Perhaps.

My company started a Behavioural Safety Culture change 4 years ago, all about talking to each other, currencies and NLP. a lot of mumbo jumbo, but it is led by two guys with no safety training who used to work on the tools. Cost the company 1/2 million to impliment, and another 250k to keep going when construction companies were going bust and people were being laid off. When we started our accident/incident rate was 3.9, (we injured 4 people in every 100) and had been for 5-6 years. The olympics were congratulated for having one of 2.6, for the same period our was 0.006.

But in answer to your statement about Mayuka, Ramirez, Forren and Osvaldo, you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink. And success doesn't come overnight, it still took us 5 seasons to get where we are.

Are you saying the FA Cup is as big a cup as the league cup?

Maybe I´m strange but I would hate to do a Wigan....I prefer to see my team compete with the best teams in the best league week in week out instead of going down and play the championship again. Do I think all fans think the same, no I dont.

But it´s my opinion and as the discussion started out from players perspective I would still say that the majority of players would prefer finishing top four if that was a given choice.

Now it isn´t of course as this (as most discussions) is hypothetical. Some of us can see the different reasons to things in football, some others cant.

You think we'd go down if we won the FA Cup? But if we don't go for the FA Cup we'll challenge top four. Okay then.

Fantastic read and it is great that we are getting so much attention for the good we are trying to do at the club.

I am very proud to be a Southampton FC fan again. For a while I hated the set up of a club that was rotten to the core. Everyone seems to want to be at the club, as they are respected and looked after. There is such a togetherness at the club, which can only be good for on the field.

I think it is possible to finish in the top 6, but do not think the champions league will happen. I can see the reason for putting out a second string in the league cup as we cannot play the pressing game every game with our first team. Just think how much that must take out of the players. It is just not possible, but we are doing everything to keep the players 100% so that has got to help. The top 4 clubs put out a second string in the league cup, but their second strings are just much better than ours as we do not have the depth of squad. I would prefer to be winning in the premier league and trying to end in the top 6 than winning the league cup and coming 10th. I think if we keep progressing and end in the top 6, we will be able to strenthen our squad and keep improving. Then maybe we will be in a position to challenge on all front.

We are not quite there, but we are on the fringes of the top 6 and then top 4. If we do break into the top 4, then we really have made it, and we can push on and get the players needed to win trophies and have consistant top 4 finishes and even challenge for the top spot. I cannot see any reason why we cannot continue improving and with a bit of luck along the way who knows what the future holds.

I for one am loving the positivity coming out of the club and the fans that I speak to at games and even fans of other clubs (even if not the small majority of fans on this site). Enjoy it everyone, as I have said before, if you cannot enjoy being a Saints fan now..... you never will.

Long may it continue COYR!!!

It's a great article, and some of the preparation is extreme - but it works like a dream and having this sort of level of dedication is the only way clubs like us can sneak in to get success. Porto weren't mega-stars when they won the CL for example, so anything is possible with the right preparation and foundations in place.

Although I don't rate our 'long-term' scouting for Forren ;)

Once again..my beloved Saints enjoying high praise from all quarters.:)

One or two..... naughty choirboyz on SWF... :p

unable to get in our choir or belonging to some other choir.....

AND singing lots of duff notes.:mcinnes:

The choir master has got his eye on you cretins:rolleyes:

Come on you Saints choir...sing loud and proud........:D

I am down the local church ..as we speak...

praying for lots of points at the bridge ..

to send us back into the heavens.... c:)

Just realised that the game is on Sunday....back to church in the morning:blush:

COYS

Did I mention Father xmas ?....He is in red and white:lol:

Merry xmas all you luvvvverly Saints fans.:blush:

Edited by ottery st mary

CB Fry: Except, of course, I've said none of that stuff.

I will have a go at people on here deciding the League Cup is beneath us, and pretending that players don't join clubs for financial reasons.

And if you can find a quote from me saying we need a top four sized squad, stick it up here. Or that how we treat our players families isn't important. You've got over a decade of forum posts from me to get through. Fill your boots.

Lastly, interesting you are so happy about a Daily Mail article as there are plenty of moments when you have remorselessly slagged them off. Funny, huh?

My response lumped you and Barry together (The Chuckle Brothers), so part of it was aimed at him and part at you.

Your reference to the top four? Ollalana picked it up well enough, from your withering sarcasm questioning that clubs like those you listed weren't supposedly interested in the League Cup. His point was valid, that they had the wealth behind them to be able to afford the dpeth of squad enabling them to pick a squad strong enough to give them a decent chance of beating most teams they would encounter in that competition.

If Southampton decided that they presently did not have that squad depth to make a realistic attempt at winning it this season and the priority was league position, then I respect that judgement.

The other thing I'll throw right back in your face. You've got numerous years to look through, but find me some of these numerous moments when I have remorselessly slagged of the Daily Mail. About as funny as you are; funny peculiar.

Oh yes and the only teams to win the FA Cup out of the top 6 since the mid 80's

Coventry

Wimbeldon

Skates

Wigan

Look were they are now! The most recent, yes a huge success, but Wigan went down and are struggling in the Championship, because of europe. Well and the skates ha ha ha!

I really do think we are looking at more long term, than just grabbing a throphy at all costs for one off success in the league cup. There is a lot more thought behind the club and the long term is to challenge at the top get into the champions league and then have the squad to challenge on ALL fronts. We are not there yet and yes it sounds a little bit strange being a Saints fan, but this is what the club are aiming for.

How would you feel if we put everything into winning the league cup and FA Cup, got knocked out of both in the semi's picked up injuries and missed out on the top 4 or 6 for a european place by a point because we did not have a 100% fit squad? reach europe and the club has the chance of moving on to the next level, get into the top 4 and the club will change for the good forever. We need to just sit back and wait for that time. You win the FA Cup or League cup and then you could be mid table next season. Get into the top 4 and you have a great chance of sustaining success!

Get used to it, and enjoy it.

Look were these are now

The problem is the need for instant gratification. Don't want to give time to develp and squad with depth I want it now, now,now, NOW!!!!!

And I'll shout you all out as I am right.

Things like this take time. Look at how far we have come to be here, now, and the time it has taken to get here. The Chelseas and Arsenals and Manures are years ahead of us in preparation to win the Prem, we have been here two years and building for 5. Why can't you enjoy the little steps that get us even closer.

I bet you're the type that buys the latest Call of Duty, gets home then types in 'Cheats and Mods' into google before playing it.

I don't think anyone here has said the LC is beneath us...that's just someone's negative twist on what's been said. Playing a weakened side against Sunderland was a calculated risk...a risk that failed OK. This is what happens every season in the cups with Premiership clubs...limited squad resources vs. hectic schedule vs. need to blood promising young players. Everyone knows the physical demands of playing in the Premiership...there are no easy games in which to rest key players or to give fringe players or promising youngsters a chance of football at a higher level; using cup games to do this is a fact of life.

CB Fry and BS well know these facts but choose to ignore them...the true sign of a Troll. As genuine Saints fans I'm sure we'd all like to field our strongest possible side every game but until we have the resources, prioritising Premiership games is our only option.

The problem is the need for instant gratification. Don't want to give time to develp and squad with depth I want it now, now,now, NOW!!!!!

And I'll shout you all out as I am right.

Things like this take time. Look at how far we have come to be here, now, and the time it has taken to get here. The Chelseas and Arsenals and Manures are years ahead of us in preparation to win the Prem, we have been here two years and building for 5. Why can't you enjoy the little steps that get us even closer.

I bet you're the type that buys the latest Call of Duty, gets home then types in 'Cheats and Mods' into google before playing it.

The strangest thing about it is that we have had instant gratification. From League One to fifth in the Premier League in four years, no patience required. The problem is that our expectations keep shifting upwards and, erm, some people are loons.

Why get worked up? Barry, bless him, has consistently shown us his judgement is truly awful.

How did QPRs 'going for it' last season work for them?

How did Wigans inevitable charge up the league leave us doomed to relegation?

How has Norwichs super summer spending going? RVW is tearing the league apart isn't he?

Keep going on about those few transfers that didn't work out. No other club ever makes signings that don't work out do they? It's just Cortese. Oh and Reed, that man that shouldn't be near a football club - he only worked for the FA and has been praised this season for his work at the club.

Gaston clearly only left for money, coming to Saints (5th in the PL tipped for Europe by media, not just in uk) from Bologna (17th in a Serie A decreasing in standing by the year). No progress at all there.

The list is nearly endless.

You clearly haven't read the article, instead wanting to "discuss" (I'm not convinced you know what this means, stating the same few lines over and over is not discussing) the same things over and over, instead of discussing the article posted, which offers some really interesting insights into how the club is run.

Interesting that the article notes Pochettino speaks perfect English to the players, most of us suspected this was the case - but makes a difference in the usual media presentation of him.

It is fascinating what is happening at our beloved club, what certain people miss is that we are doing our best to maximise the potential of every player at the club, by being real innovators in all departments, with the aim of stealing a march on our higher spending competitors.

It might not work, but it's damn exciting watching us at least give it a go.

Lol at being happy is apparently a bad thing, why support the club? Why enjoy what is happening after the crap we endured? We should not get ideas above our station - and accept our place and hope for nothing more than mediocrity.

Edited by KelvinsRightGlove

Really? I can assure you hand on heart Swansea fans will be talking about their Cup victory and European adventure far more than Newcastles sterling 4th years ago.

I think you are being sold short.

But winning that cup hasn't made Swansea more desirable to join as a player has it? Swansea seemingly don't have any ambition to break into the top 4 they are happy with the prem league and maybe a cup run.

Future ambition(and whether the player believes that will be fulfilled) is surely more important than joining a team that has won a cup (like Wigan have) as they are not likely to win another for a good number of years now?

I don't think anyone here has said the LC is beneath us...that's just someone's negative twist on what's been said. Playing a weakened side against Sunderland was a calculated risk...a risk that failed OK. This is what happens every season in the cups with Premiership clubs...limited squad resources vs. hectic schedule vs. need to blood promising young players. Everyone knows the physical demands of playing in the Premiership...there are no easy games in which to rest key players or to give fringe players or promising youngsters a chance of football at a higher level; using cup games to do this is a fact of life.

CB Fry and BS well know these facts but choose to ignore them...the true sign of a Troll. As genuine Saints fans I'm sure we'd all like to field our strongest possible side every game but until we have the resources, prioritising Premiership games is our only option.

You missed all those references to the League Cup as there"small fry" which several have said specificand disparaging remarks about winning it feeling "hollow" which one poster said specifically. So not twisted at all.

Swansea won the League Cup and had a fine league finish so this idea that you cannot do both is nonsense.