Saints master plan...

SuperSAINT

really good article, nice details and well-written.

I almost don't recognise the club from these descriptions, but it is the new Saints image. Nothing left to chance.

Those journo's who are pushing out stories about " soon to depart " Saints players going to " big clubs " ought to take a look at this ...WHO would want to leave a club like ours ?

All it shows is how fickle the press and supporters are, progression is attempted by every club. Whilst good things are happening other things concern me like the poor expensive signings we have made, if they can accept the plaudits for Lovren they can expect **** their way for Mayuka, Ramirez, Forren and Osvaldo.

Proper preparation prevents p1ss poor performance they say - a credo Don Cortese obviously subscribes to. I don't know if I find the meticulous level of attention to detail the club is now applying to all aspects of the game to be deeply impressive, or rather frightening. A bit of both perhaps.

In any case, of all the press links we've seen posted on this site lately THIS is surely the one every Saints fan should bother to read if they really want to understand what is happening at our club. I've always taken the Chairman's stated ambition to transform little Southampton Football Club into a real force at the posh end of the Premier League with a 'pinch of salt' as it were.

Now however, well if the Liebherr cash keeps flowing then maybe ... just maybe.

really good article, nice details and well-written.

I almost don't recognise the club from these descriptions, but it is the new Saints image. Nothing left to chance.

Those journo's who are pushing out stories about " soon to depart " Saints players going to " big clubs " ought to take a look at this ...WHO would want to leave a club like ours ?

A player who wants to win trophies? We made no attempt to win the League Cup did we?

All it shows is how fickle the press and supporters are, progression is attempted by every club. Whilst good things are happening other things concern me like the poor expensive signings we have made, if they can accept the plaudits for Lovren they can expect **** their way for Mayuka, Ramirez, Forren and Osvaldo.

How predictable...surely even you must get bored with this constant rubbish.

We know your feelings on the matter, there are a million and one similarly wordedthreads on it, so why do you continue to beat the drum? Go get yourself a girlfriend, life really isn't that monotonous when you give it a real go.

The article really outlines the effort we go to to ensure the porridge is 'just right'. Great effort by the staff and Cortese.

How predictable...surely even you must get bored with this constant rubbish.

We know your feelings on the matter, there are a million and one similarly wordedthreads on it, so why do you continue to beat the drum? Go get yourself a girlfriend, life really isn't that monotonous when you give it a real go.

The article really outlines the effort we go to to ensure the porridge is 'just right'. Great effort by the staff and Cortese.

And I just happen to think it is filling a page and am not that impressed by it, sending a wag a birthday card? Ok thats fine, whats next? Christmas vouchers for them in a couple of weeks? You appear to be easily impressed my boy.

Edited by Barry Sanchez

Only Barry could moan at an article like that.

Difference between Saints and say West Ham in terms of strategy is staggering.

Excellent article and insight into the culture of the club.

I'm not moaning, I am putting a balanced argument (my opinion) out there as afterall its a forum, its the people unable to discuss other opinions I worry about.

They delete or airbrush history to fit in with their selfish one eyed argument, its as funny as it is sad.

Yeah, all players dreams are coming to a club that aims for winning the league cup.

Clubs like Liverpool, Chelsea,Arsenal, Spurs and Man United? Yeah players do dream of playing for those clubs.

More than they dream of playing for provincial clubs who have won literally f uck all for thirty years and desperately pretending they are not small time by sneering at the League Cup.

I'm not moaning, I am putting a balanced argument (my opinion) out there as afterall its a forum, its the people unable to discuss other opinions I worry about.

They delete or airbrush history to fit in with their selfish one eyed argument, its as funny as it is sad.

Fair enough. But article makes no mention of the League Cup or trying to emulate Swansea.

You can't just trot out the same three lines on every thread surely?

Clubs like Liverpool, Chelsea,Arsenal, Spurs and Man United? Yeah players do dream of playing for those clubs.

More than they dream of playing for provincial clubs who have won literally f uck all for thirty years and desperately pretending they are not small time by sneering at the League Cup.

But the one reason they go for the league cup is squad depth. They dont put their first team out in the league cup, do they?

We´re not there yet for obvious reasons that most people understand, except for the normal few on here.

And find me one player that publicly states that he wants to go to those clubs because of the chance to win the league cup...

Not sure Lovren is worth £21m just yet! Great article though - loving the attention to detail we have.

Although taking mattresses to other hotels is a bit extreme. Surely we don't take 17+ mattresses away with us plus a cleaning team to every hotel we visit for every away game....?

But the one reason they go for the league cup is squad depth. They dont put their first team out in the league cup, do they?

We´re not there yet for obvious reasons that most people understand, except for the normal few on here.

And find me one player that publicly states that he wants to go to those clubs because of the chance to win the league cup...

You are picking the League Cup as you think its the least attractive Cup to win, its attractive for the fans and players alike if they win it, especially if you have not won it, thats what I am saying.

Why did Ramirez and Osvaldo come here then? To win what?

Edited by Barry Sanchez

Fair enough. But article makes no mention of the League Cup or trying to emulate Swansea.

You can't just trot out the same three lines on every thread surely?

David in Sweden stated why would a player want to leave us, I stated quite plainly at the top of the thread to win trophies, what trophy do we want to win as we obviously dont want to win what in many see the easiest to win, so are we that good are confident of winning the better Cup competition or even the League, we are not that stupid surely?

Right so you are saying more players dream of joining a club who admit to not having the squad depth to compete in three competitions than dream of joining a club that wants to win a trophy?

Sure they do.

David in Sweden stated why would a player want to leave us, I stated quite plainly at the top of the thread to win trophies, what trophy do we want to win as we obviously dont want to win what in many see the easiest to win, so are we that good are confident of winning the better Cup competition or even the League, we are not that stupid surely?

Agree on that to an extent. To be honest I don't think the LC is seen as a big win by most clubs, and even Wigan with the FA cup - they would rather sti be in the PL than with a cup win to their name, mahbe not the fans but the club for certain.

You are picking the League Cup as you think its the least attractive Cup to win, its attractive for the fans and players alike if they win it, especially if you have not won it, thats what I am saying.

Judging by the article the premier league and beyond. Stop moaning.....

You are picking the League Cup as you think its the least attractive Cup to win, it attractive for the fans and players alike, especially if you have not won it, thats what I am saying.

You have to ask them but why are those two always singled out in these type of questions and never for example Rodriguez or Clyne??

Do you make difference on players because of where they are from or dont Rodriguez and Clyne share an ambition to win things in your mind?

And why do you think players prefer a 4th place in the league to winning the league cup?

You never see players talk about the league cup but every week how important those top four spots are, why is that?

You have to ask them but why are those two always singled out in these type of questions and never for example Rodriguez or Clyne??

Do you make difference on players because of where they are from or dont Rodriguez and Clyne share an ambition to win things in your mind?

And why do you think players prefer a 4th place in the league to winning the league cup?

You never see players talk about the league cup but every week how important those top four spots are, why is that?

Really? I can assure you hand on heart Swansea fans will be talking about their Cup victory and European adventure far more than Newcastles sterling 4th years ago.

I think you are being sold short.

Edited by Barry Sanchez

Because Rodriguez and Clyne moved to us as an advancement in their careers, did the mentioned do that?

Right so you are saying more players dream of joining a club who admit to not having the squad depth to compete in three competitions than dream of joining a club that wants to win a trophy?

Sure they do.

As I said, we´re not there for obvious reasons that most people (and all players) understand, except the normal few on here.

So you´re saying that all things players think about when joining a club is whether they can win anything?

No players ever think about the possibilities to play and be part of a team and to develop as a footballer....they would prefer sitting on the bench or in the stands week in week out as long as the club can win something...??

Really? I can assure you hand on heart Swansea fans will be talking about their Cup victory and European adventure far more than Newcastles sterling 4th years ago.

Well strange post since I´m talking from the players perspective, and then you answers from fans perspective....

Because Rodriguez and Clyne moved to us as an advancement in their careers, did the mentioned do that?

Gaston certainly did. Even though the "trolls truth" on here is that it was all about the money he stated a numbers of other reasons to why he moved here, one of them taking the next step in his career.

Very impressive attention to detail in there.

Cycling seems to be setting the pace in some areas of preparation, and remember the old head of UK cycling talking about teaching athletes how to wash their hands properly in an attempt to stop the spread of coughs and colds. The mattress haul may sound OTT but thinking about it a good nights sleep before a game is actually massively important.

Hats off to those running the football side, they are doing a decent job.

As an aside then why have The Mail used a photo of Portsmuff training at Wellington/Stoneham????

Interesting article. Cortese has a vision, that is clear. It is more than can be said for some clubs that are very short term splashing cash on old and over valued players.

The attention to detail shows a passion to do things right and creates a culture where everyone buys into making the club successful.

I think we are still a long way off top 6, we haven't got the money of Chelski etc but if it works we could still become a very 'slick' outfit !

As I said, we´re not there for obvious reasons that most people (and all players) understand, except the normal few on here.

So you´re saying that all things players think about when joining a club is whether they can win anything?

No players ever think about the possibilities to play and be part of a team and to develop as a footballer....they would prefer sitting on the bench or in the stands week in week out as long as the club can win something...??

On your basis of argument then have Ramirez and Osvaldo progressed their careers coming from Roma and Bologna?

They were at similar or larger clubs than us.

Gaston certainly did. Even though the "trolls truth" on here is that it was all about the money he stated a numbers of other reasons to why he moved here, one of them taking the next step in his career.

http://metro.co.uk/2012/08/17/gaston-ramirez-snubs-spurs-and-liverpool-to-sign-for-southampton-540202/

How is refusing Spurs or Liverpool and coming to us a furthering step, lets discuss this and not argue, hoe is that progression after a fantatsic Olympics?

That's right bazza focus on the negatives - your life must be such fun! Would you be happier if we were back in League 1? Hark at you eh? Mr concerned from Liverpool - give it a ****ing rest.

Same old repetitive off thread discussion I see.

Just waiting for Turkish's oh so funny daily mail line when he awakes.

We should be discussing mattresses, better buses and poch's perfect English.

Fact it shows we are improving doesn't mean we have to always compare to other clubs FFS and clear that we are doing something right.

I was not happy with approach to League cup but would definitely swap a victory in that for 4th which would mean a European adventure.

Shouldn't Turkish have pointed out "this article can't be true as it's in the awful Daily Fail (PMSL)" by now?

(Cue instructions to "stick with Groundhog Day"...) ;)

Edit: oops, beaten to it.... ( you got a copy of the thread script too I see Whelk)

Edited by trousers

The fact still remains the happy ones fail to see or dont want to the valid reasons for a more reserved approched to the medias love in.

So people on here genuinely believe we can compete for 4th place in years to come astounds me, we can but only with huge investment and the ability to retain our best players.

Never going to happen when other teams are winning trophies is it unless we offer huge wages.

On your basis of argument then have Ramirez and Osvaldo progressed their careers coming from Roma and Bologna?

They were at similar or larger clubs than us.

It wasn´t an argument, it was stating that there are many different reasons why players switch clubs and I mentioned one of those.

Regarding Ramirez I answered that in another post and while Bologna is a similar club in Italy to us here there is other major differences on the ambition of the clubs and the financial possibilities.

Osvaldo wasn´t welcomed to stay at Roma and he opted to join us but probably the premier league was what attracted him and to join up with a manager he´s worked under before and that made his career really move forward then.

There are many reasons why players choose to join a new club, but I´m pretty sure noone ever thinks about the league cup which was the focal point that started this discussion, at least for me as it was mentioned once again on this forum as some sort of fact that shows the clubs ambition......my view on that is completely different.

It´s how we put the team out in the league cup that shows how high ambitions this club now have.

I know fans want to win trophies but the focus point at THIS moment for the club is not going for the one-time-wonder and win a trophy but to really make the best possible effort to mix it with the bigger clubs in the league. And with the lack of squad depth we cant play a strong team in a midweek game in that competition just yet.

Give it a few more years to really add better squad depth and we might be able to perform in it in another way.

I was not happy with approach to League cup but would definitely swap a victory in that for 4th which would mean a European adventure.

I would not, for a club of our size we are hardly swimming in silverware, and we are hardly going to win the Champions League so we should run out a few academy players, would only be fair and evenhanded.................

Edited by Barry Sanchez

Well. Surprise surprise. Right on the button here comes BS peddling his own brand of "know it all" superior negativity. It is blow hards like you, and a few others who have driven me away from this forum. I now just look in occasionally to see if things have improved. They obviously haven't. Never was a set on initials more apt.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk 4

It wasn´t an argument, it was stating that there are many different reasons why players switch clubs and I mentioned one of those.

Regarding Ramirez I answered that in another post and while Bologna is a similar club in Italy to us here there is other major differences on the ambition of the clubs and the financial possibilities.

Osvaldo wasn´t welcomed to stay at Roma and he opted to join us but probably the premier league was what attracted him and to join up with a manager he´s worked under before and that made his career really move forward then.

There are many reasons why players choose to join a new club, but I´m pretty sure noone ever thinks about the league cup which was the focal point that started this discussion, at least for me as it was mentioned once again on this forum as some sort of fact that shows the clubs ambition......my view on that is completely different.

It´s how we put the team out in the league cup that shows how high ambitions this club now have.

I know fans want to win trophies but the focus point at THIS moment for the club is not going for the one-time-wonder and win a trophy but to really make the best possible effort to mix it with the bigger clubs in the league. And with the lack of squad depth we cant play a strong team in a midweek game in that competition just yet.

Give it a few more years to really add better squad depth and we might be able to perform in it in another way.

To cut through that, you may not talk about the League Cup before but after you have won it you will. That is case and point.

Well. Surprise surprise. Right on the button here comes BS peddling his own brand of "know it all" superior negativity. It is blow hards like you, and a few others who have driven me away from this forum. I now just look in occasionally to see if things have improved. They obviously haven't. Never was a set on initials more apt.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk 4

So driven you quote me and come back, dont be a hypocrite, come on to a forum and contribute, how old are you?

http://metro.co.uk/2012/08/17/gaston-ramirez-snubs-spurs-and-liverpool-to-sign-for-southampton-540202/

How is refusing Spurs or Liverpool and coming to us a furthering step, lets discuss this and not argue, hoe is that progression after a fantatsic Olympics?

Cause he thought he had a better chance playing week in week out at us than in those two clubs and therefore develop as a player??

Quite simple, anything else you want to know?

I dont share the lottery numbers though...