Pochettino on his future as Southampton manager

Saint-Armstrong

Mauricio Pochettino:

"The first thing is that I still have one more year on my contract."

"The second thing is that we still have six games until the end of the season and we are trying to focus as much as we can to get the maximum number of points out of those games."

"Third of all as first team manager I am always focused on the team and the game ahead."

"I am also working in a calm manner and I am open to discuss with the board whenever it's convenient and necessary in the future but I think there is still time until that happens and I am always open to discuss with the board whenever it's necessary in the future."

Sounds promising to me, considering some said he had lost interest and was just seeing the season out before walking away.

Of course, he still could. But that's not the vibe I am getting from him at all.

Once again......come on here with a good post re Saints ..

Skate ****s about to take it over again..

Dishing out their usual garbage.

As a Saints supporter I am looking forward to Poch signing a long contract..

Me too.

Maybe GS is just tired?

It's difficult remaining as positive as he is all day.

Once again......come on here with a good post re Saints ..

Skate ****s about to take it over again..

Dishing out their usual garbage.

As a Saints supporter I am looking forward to Poch signing a long contract..

As a Saints supporter i too am looking forward to Mopo signing a new contract, but all this will he wont he chat/rubbish is becoming boring.... Dont you think? Weve had a number of mopo will/ wont leave threads and it gets dull

If he signs a new contract i will be delighted and instantly jump for joy. But all these teasers and agent links to other clubs are becoming a little tiresome.

He sounds about as non-committal as he could possibly be frankly.

Why some on here are interpreting this statement as some sort of indication that MP wants to stay here past the end of his current contract is beyond me.

I think he's just fed up with being asked now. It's a; "look, we've still got games to win and points to gain, which are more important over the next 2 months than my contract".

I think that's fair enough and is correct. If we did sneak up another place, that would be circa £900k extra in prize money and would pay for a portion of that new contract ...

He sounds about as non-committal as he could possibly be frankly.

Why some on here are interpreting this statement as some sort of indication that MP wants to stay here past the end of his current contract is beyond me.

"I am open to discuss with the board whenever it's convenient and necessary" gee, I think that can only mean he's going to discuss getting out of his contract early, right?

I think it would be impossible to focus on game preparation and find time to discuss a new contract.

Is there any precedent of managers signing a new contract during the season? I very much doubt it

I can never tell if you're being sarcastic or not ... but I was going to agree, then I did a quick bit of searching ... Wenger's last contract was August 2010, Ferguson's last contract was signed in Jan 2012. So that probably dispels that ;)

I can never tell if you're being sarcastic or not ... but I was going to agree, then I did a quick bit of searching ... Wenger's last contract was August 2010, Ferguson's last contract was signed in Jan 2012. So that probably dispels that ;)

Nope no sarcasm, didnt think anyone would have time to sort out a new contract during the season.

I am happy that mopo is focused on the football just now and will discuss contracts when he has more time.

I am 75/25 positive on the outcome atm

Of course, he still could. But that's not the vibe I am getting from him at all.

I think it's disgraceful that you'd suggest MP would own a vibrator, let alone one he would be prepared to lend out.

If he's got any sense he'll stay here until he gets a better offer. Likely he'll sign a one-year extension come the summer, but still think he would probably be gone by the following summer.

He's not going to stay forever but I don't think he is just going to walk out either.

A worryingly political answer. Keeping options very open. Only thing certain is he'll see this season out.

"We will look at that at the end of the season. The focus is on the team; the focus is on the club. There will be plenty of time, come the end of the season, however it finishes, to evaluate everything"

"There is no point in having any distractions now and I don’t want any distractions...there’s another year and we will take it from there."

Brendan Rodgers on extending his contract at Liverpool, 15/03/2014.

I'm slightly more worried about him going after reading this, as up til now I had assumed that the board would already have been talking to him about an extension to his contract by now?

yeah it's a bit of a come-and-get-me plea if anything. Pull yo finger out, dumb board!

"I am open to discuss with the board whenever it's convenient and necessary" gee, I think that can only mean he's going to discuss getting out of his contract early, right?

Wrong.

This type of language means next to nothing, it is in effect little more than a bland holding statement. If he is minded to leave he's hardly going to shout "adios muchahos" and make a run for the hills at this stage of the season is he? On the other hand if he does see his future here then saying that publicly might weaken his hand when it comes to negotiating any new contract with the board.

Personally I think its 60/40 on that he's planing to leave, but only time will tell.