Vito Mannone...

Unbelievable Jeff

Interesting timing of this suggestion given his monumental ****up last night for Man City's equaliser :lol:

He's been decent, but I'd imagine if we're looking for another keeper, it'll be one who can pass short and long distances - difficult to tell from his games for Sunderland whether he is capable of that.

...interesting comment from Peter Shilton interview (see todays BBC site).....saying that he thinks (at 26) ......Joe Hart is still young..and prone to mistakes ....well everyone makes them of course, but in 50 years as a fan ..the number of top-level goalies I've watched who were consistantly pretty reliable ....could probably be counted on one hand, and Hart is (argueably) the best English keeper.

I've seen Mannone play some good games this season...and then.. games like the other night.

Thus my ongoing comments about young keepers. It's good to have a prospect, but IMO central defenders and goalies take the longest time to develop properly.

The best goalies I've watched have been 30+ ....and then a bit more too......so Mannone (not really) ......I'd prefer ....Fabianski ..or David Marshall.

We want to improve our team, so that means bringing in players better to what we have.

Mannone, IMO, doesn't fit this bill, and I'd definitely have Boruc over him anyday.

OK, but we would need to spend massive to replace Boruc as our No 1... not sure many posters on here realise that Boruc was in the top 5 of European Goalkeepers not long ago..

We need a goalie who commands the penalty area.. Kaspar would maybe fit the bill but can we entice him away from Leicester ?

OK, but we would need to spend massive to replace Boruc as our No 1... not sure many posters on here realise that Boruc was in the top 5 of European Goalkeepers not long ago..

We need a goalie who commands the penalty area.. Kaspar would maybe fit the bill but can we entice him away from Leicester ?

TBH I'm probably one of the few who will say that if we was to only buy 3 players this season, I'd buy a CB, AM and ST. I genuinely wouldn't bother with GK just yet as I'm happy with Boruc (just needs to sort out those damn niggles!)

Top rated keeper in the Premier League this season on WhoScored.com.

the fact that he is number 1 rated keeper in the Prem this season counts for something?

Do you believe he is the best keeper in the Premier League this season? If you don't think he is the best keeper in the league it makes it pointless using the whoscored.com ratings as you are contradicting yourself. He just had more work to do than most of the top keepers, doesn't mean he is better. Put Cech, Hart or De Gea in the Sunderland team and they'd likely come out with better who scored.com stats than they currently have.

Edited by Matthew Le God

TBH I'm probably one of the few who will say that if we was to only buy 3 players this season, I'd buy a CB, AM and ST.

I genuinely wouldn't bother with GK just yet as I'm happy with Boruc (just needs to sort out those damn niggles!)

I think a lot of us are " happy " with Boruc, but as soon as he gets an injury, we're back to KD and Gazzaniga....neither of whom is Prem.quality. If he were seriously injured we'd really be in the sh*te.

We were on that great run of form when Boruc broke his hand at Chelsea and in the following 8 games ..we won only once, whilst trying both Davis and Gazzaniga.

....after Boruc came back.... we lost only three times in the following 12 games. Those stats. surely proves the point in question.

When we were promoted from the Championship.....

MY first buy would have been an international keeper. KD (great club servant though he is).. isn't Prem.standard and having Gazzaniga as his back-up was an idiotic choice.

(Sorry Nigel but you really underestimated that).

NOTE; Almost every Prem.club has, at least one international keeper, quite a number have two.....and several have three quality keepers.

Do you believe he is the best keeper in the Premier League this season? If you don't think he is the best keeper in the league it makes it pointless using the whoscored.com ratings as you are contradicting yourself. He just had more work to do than most of the top keepers, doesn't mean he is better. Put Cech, Hart or De Gea in the Sunderland team and they'd likely come out with better who scored.com stats than they currently have.

I do actually believe he is right up there. Best keeper in the Prem is probably De Gea though.