Band Aid 30

Batman

"Band Aid" is about right. It's a short-term sticking plaster on a long term wound and a shocking indictment of how the world tends prioritise profit and narrow self-interest over people.

One day, a future generation is going to sort problems like world hunger and death from easily preventable disease, and it won't be some huge technological advancement that leads the way, more a case of vision, priorities and political will. They'll probably look kindly on the cohort of musicians that raised awareness about modern-day famine and disease in Africa, probably less so at all those that have turned a blind eye while scampering about acquiring belief tokens.

A band aid where are they now 30 years on would make good reading

Number 7 bono. Still recording with U2, the poverty activist is now said to be worth £517m after investing in Facebook. Everyday he says to himself tonight thank god it's me instead of you.

It’s time the likes of Geldof stopped asking us to give money, and like Adele, started donating some themselves. Charity, after all, begins at home.

Who else knew that Geldof doesn't donate money himself? That's a pretty good scoop right there.

Yeah Geldof can get f***ed to be honest. How dare Adele privately donate and not jump the second he clicks his fingers. It's more important that people are seen to be doing things, with him as the focal point (obvs), than actually give to the charity.

And Bono, seriously, I hope there is a special circle in hell reserved for that man. Oh yeah, lecture us on how amazing you are, whilst dodging tax and saying how much you hate the line "well tonight thank god it's them, instead of you" - 30 years later when it dawned on you it' actually a bit patronising. Even though you throw a hissyfit insisting it was your line, and talked at length about your pride in it.

Thank god you guys spent a weekend making a song (the same song you've made before), you are the heroes, not the guys actually out in Africa attempting to fight the disease. Those people are the heroes, a million times braver than Bono, or Geldof or the vast majority of us (yes, obviously myself included).

The arrogance is just staggering.

I remember thinking after Live Aid how much more money they could have raised at the time if they sold videos (no DVDs at the time) of the event but Geldof said that he wanted it to be like a shooting star (or something) that was there and then gone. So much for being about just raising as much money as possible and saving lives. The first Band Aid effort meant a lot because it was spontaneous and in some ways wonderfully naïve. A group of pop stars feeding the world. Now it is as tired and hackneyed as Bob Geldof who seems to think his time is more important than paying taxes. Sir Bob has been a very lucky boy. His pop career was already virtually over when he came up with Band Aid and that has kept him going ever since - shame he hasn't learned to be any less obnoxious since. Give us your effing money worked in the 80s, now I just want to say give them YOUR effing money now matey! His treatment of Adele is appalling by the way.

That's a bit low from the Telegraph, Geldof has done a fair bit for charity.

Having a go at Adele is probably out of order but maybe what Geldof did promoted her to make the donation?

why should adele or anyone be singled out to give a penny at all?

and it should be a personal choice. and no one should be named and/or shamed into not giving to a particular charity/cause

I have not and will not be giving a penny to this/Ebola

I couldn't give a monkeys if people as wealthy as Adele are pressured into giving to charity. The more the better IMO, these people have too much cash anyway.

I couldn't give a monkeys if people as wealthy as Adele are pressured into giving to charity. The more the better IMO, these people have too much cash anyway.

so do you, compared to some

I hope you are giving loads each month...more the better

and it should be a personal choice. and no one should be named and/or shamed into not giving to a particular charity/cause

+1.

Why should adele do anything just because geldof asked her to? Who does he think he is, the supreme master of humanity? These pop stars are often too precious for words, I told elton john to f*ck off once over a job they wanted me to do at a moments notice. He didn't like it one bit.

I have not and will not be giving a penny to this/Ebola

It is weird this.

I find the poppy thing baffling. Anyone who dares not wear one in public is absolutely pilloried.

For me, forcing everyone to wear a poppy or attacking them for choosing not to do so detracts from the message of actually wearing one. "I'm doing this because I'll get crap if I don't, not because I truly believe in the cause". Charlene White, the ITV News presenter made some good points about this too - which also have some relevance to football.

http://www.itv.com/news/2014-10-25/itv-news-presenter-charlene-white-why-i-dont-wear-a-poppy/

Before anyone starts, I have no problem with the Poppy campaign and buy one every year. I just find the forcing of it on people on, and as I said it detracts from it's actual message, in my opinion.

"Band Aid" is about right. It's a short-term sticking plaster on a long term wound and a shocking indictment of how the world tends prioritise profit and narrow self-interest over people.

One day, a future generation is going to sort problems like world hunger and death from easily preventable disease, and it won't be some huge technological advancement that leads the way, more a case of vision, priorities and political will. They'll probably look kindly on the cohort of musicians that raised awareness about modern-day famine and disease in Africa, probably less so at all those that have turned a blind eye while scampering about acquiring belief tokens.

This is a fantastic post :toppa:

Many of these things, from Geldof 'outing' Adele, to talk of individuals being 'shamed' for making a choice to support certain charities etc, all come down to one person passing judgement on another.

We have no right to judge anyone other than ourselves, because other people do not live with my morals, and I do not live with theirs. By all means, try to explain to me why your morals are different, and allow me to make a choice to change my morals, but do not force me to live by yours if I do not yet understand them or agree with them.

Oh, and pap is spot on.

+1.

Why should adele do anything just because geldof asked her to? Who does he think he is, the supreme master of humanity? These pop stars are often too precious for words, I told elton john to f*ck off once over a job they wanted me to do at a moments notice. He didn't like it one bit.

Good for you mate. These pop stars don't know they are born. That Nick Kershaw pushed in front of me at the Costa queue this morning and got a right good ear bashing for his troubles