The Spuds Saga.....for better or worse

david in sweden

..whilst Spuds are rejoicing about signing Toby, they'll need him to shore up their leaky defence with today's news that Hugo Lloris has broken his wrist.

such injuries can be very tricky.....my daughter broke her wrist in a freak accident 8 years ago, and the doctor said it would heal in six weeks.(!)

She had tendon damage that wasn't operated on until two years later...and a second op. last month to remedy the damage that the first surgeon had missed....

I don't wish HL the pain and discomfort that she has endured, but his absence in goal might slow them up a bit at the start of the season....

If Spuds hadn't had him in goal, and Harry Kane scoring at the other end..... they might have had real problems last season..

There is only one thing worse than being talked about..and that is not being talked about.

Why do people feel a continual need to talk about Tottenham Hotspur ?

Because they and Liverpool are the two teams above us that are the more likely candidates that we could rise above potentially?

Lloris played quite an important role in them finishing above us last season, so I for one am delighted that Lady Luck has gone some way to balancing our misfortune with the injury to our number one GK.

Because they and Liverpool are the two teams above us

That was last Season.

I'd suggest with our additional fixtures & squad changes that we will be competeing against the following next year for those 4th-10th spots

Tottenham

Liverpool

Swansea

Stoke

Everton

West Ham

We also dont know how Sunderland & Newcastle will perform with new managers

That was last Season.

I'd suggest with our additional fixtures & squad changes that we will be competeing against the following next year for those 4th-10th spots

Tottenham

Liverpool

Swansea

Stoke

Everton

West Ham

We also dont know how Sunderland & Newcastle will perform with new managers

I'd stick Palace in with those teams. Think they will have a good season with a couple more decent signings.

I'd love United to buy Kane and Lloris. Give Spurs a taste of their medicine.

(and with this post thus ends my self imposed holiday exile!)

Anyway apparently Hugo has had a fractured wrist these last 3 weeks and they're confident he'll be back by the season opener.

Also, it might make Man U look elsewhere for a De Gea replacement which would help Tottenham.

There was an element of relief to hear of the departure of Dani Osvaldo, although there are Saints fans still smarting from the thought that he cost SFC £12 million,

in the first place plus (I assume).. a considerable salary which could have been better spent, had Pochettino realised that he had nil chance of reforming Dani.

Now it seems that Tottenham have started their own clear-out (a recent report) stated that Daniel Levy has told MP to sell some of the squad if he wanted to buy more.

The losses that they are likely to incur may make the Osvaldo deal seem like petty cash.

After the euphoria of selling Gareth Bale (£85 million), Spurs spent £100+ million on 7 new players, the majority of whom are already gone - at some considerable loss.

Paulinho cost £17 million. and managed 6 goals in his 45 games and has ended up in CHINA (!) for just £10 mill.

Soldado's £26 million fee looked an embarassment from the start and an expensive deal with just 7 goals from 51 games. Now in Spain,TH let him go for £15 m.

Capoue, who cost £9 million has moved after only 24 games (and broke Watford's club record transfer) ....at £3.25 million.

Chiriches £9.5 million fee wasn't recovered either with his recent £7 million transfer out.....after only 27 games with Spurs.

TH just about recovered their investment (£2mill.) by selling Lewis Holtby to Hamburg....but the announcement that Kaboul has moved to Sunderland for an "undisclosed fee " (one wonders how much profit there may be on the £9.5 million they bought him for)... has surprised many, especially as his agent once said... " it would take an earthquake" for his player to move to Sunderland ...(oh yeah ?)

The fire sale continues as high-profile names like Aaron Lennon and Emmanuel Adebayor may be given a cheap exit-if only to clear their enormous salaries off the books.

Now we know that this is only "small potatoes" for " a big London club " like Spurs, but I suspect that their fans may wince a little when they get to see the price of season tickets in the new stadium they are building. One can hope they will be able to fill the 61,000 mega-stadium every match - or maybe NOT.

Edited by david in sweden

I'd stick Palace in with those teams. Think they will have a good season with a couple more decent signings.

I'd love United to buy Kane and Lloris. Give Spurs a taste of their medicine.

(and with this post thus ends my self imposed holiday exile!)

When did Saints fans become so bitter about other clubs?

Exactly, I expect loads of bile from Celtic and Feyenoord fans.

well we might think that, ...not sure about Celtic fans but......

.... an interesting item I read recently said that Dutch fans are more likely to applaud their former players rather than ridicule them.

Their attitude is that it's good to see one of their own " go on to bigger and better things" ...not an English reaction - is it ?

Anyway we should take note of the sort of reception Clasie gets when we play Feyenoord.

So for me, it's not difficult.

In almost 40 years, I've seen almost every transfer between the Spurs and Saints as a rip-off, and the Spurs fans I've met have been totally insufferable.

(I don't use the word hate, but they are not my favourite club amongst the other 91.)

well we might think that, ...not sure about Celtic fans but......

.... an interesting item I read recently said that Dutch fans are more likely to applaud their former players rather than ridicule them.

Their attitude is that it's good to see one of their own " go on to bigger and better things" ...not an English reaction - is it ?

Anyway we should take note of the sort of reception Clasie gets when we play Feyenoord.

So for me, it's not difficult.

In almost 40 years, I've seen almost every transfer between the Spurs and Saints as a rip-off, and the Spurs fans I've met have been totally insufferable.

(I don't use the word hate, but they are not my favourite club amongst the other 91.)

I think we seem to have a load of fans who thinks Saints deserve to keep all their players. We're still way down the pecking order and thankfully we always will be as we won't then attract even more (clueless) new generation football fans.

I do agree with you on Spurs fans, I know one that's a good bloke, the others are complete helmets. But let's not become like them, that's my point as we've generally been a club supported by people who are pragmatic and know their football, with the odd sprinkling of old moaners ... GET IT FOORWWARRD.

There was an element of relief to hear of the departure of Dani Osvaldo, although there are Saints fans still smarting from the thought that he cost SFC £12 million,

in the first place plus (I assume).. a considerable salary which could have been better spent, had Pochettino realised that he had nil chance of reforming Dani.

Now it seems that Tottenham have started their own clear-out (a recent report) stated that Daniel Levy has told MP to sell some of the squad if he wanted to buy more.

The losses that they are likely to incur may make the Osvaldo deal seem like petty cash.

After the euphoria of selling Gareth Bale (£85 million), Spurs spent £100+ million on 7 new players, the majority of whom are already gone - at some considerable loss.

Paulinho cost £17 million. and managed 6 goals in his 45 games and has ended up in CHINA (!) for just £10 mill.

Soldado's £26 million fee looked an embarassment from the start and an expensive deal with just 7 goals from 51 games. Now in Spain,TH let him go for £15 m.

Capoue, who cost £9 million has moved after only 24 games (and broke Watford's club record transfer) ....at £3.25 million.

Chiriches £9.5 million fee wasn't recovered either with his recent £7 million transfer out.....after only 27 games with Spurs.

TH just about recovered their investment (£2mill.) by selling Lewis Holtby to Hamburg....but the announcement that Kaboul has moved to Sunderland for an "undisclosed fee " (one wonders how much profit there may be on the £9.5 million they bought him for)... has surprised many, especially as his agent once said... " it would take an earthquake" for his player to move to Sunderland ...(oh yeah ?)

The fire sale continues as high-profile names like Aaron Lennon and Emmanuel Adebayor may be given a cheap exit-if only to clear their enormous salaries off the books.

Now we know that this is only "small potatoes" for " a big London club " like Spurs, but I suspect that their fans may wince a little when they get to see the price of season tickets in the new stadium they are building. One can hope they will be able to fill the 61,000 mega-stadium every match - or maybe NOT.

As of April 2014, the Spurs claimed to have 47,000 people on their season ticket waiting list.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/tottenham-hotspur/10739060/Tottenham-eye-2017-stadium-switch-as-Daniel-Levy-defends-summer-spending-and-Tim-Sherwood-role.html

Good for them. Only hope they (and all visiting fans) can afford their ticket prices.

Personally who cares about Spurs, We are Southampton and we do things are way differently. Way to many negative people on this forum I am quite new here although I am 30 years old and have supported Saints through and through since I was 8 years old.

They are a bigger club than us deal with it what I mean by this they can afford higher wages and are not afraid to take a punt on ridiculous transfer fees. However if we get our heads down and continue with Koemans philosophy and way of doing things then we will continue to progress. I like our style of doing things sure we sell players for great money might I add but lets be brutally honest here why keep a player who is a) unhappy b) is only in it for the money.

Clear out the deadwood and get some players in sure they may be cheaper and unknowns but will obviously have potential of course once in a while we may sign a few bad apples but think of how far as a club we have come over the last couple of years.

All these people going on about champions league and top 4 need a reality check. The only way we are going to do that is if we spunk ridiculous amounts of money. Or take the sensible approach and gradually sell the odd gem and strengthen further in multiple areas on the cheap.

Jordy Clasie is a massive coup for us, Being in Europe is awesome aswell and having a team full of players who actually want to be here and play for our club and follow the clubs vision that is what it's all about.

I frankly couldn't care about Spurs they beat us to signing Toby who wasn't ours in the first place..... And currently have a manager who doesn't have a plan B.

I am anticipating the future, brand new academy, new youth players coming through the future is bright the future is red and white. If we continue to lose the odd gem and milk clubs for millions so be it I wont lose any sleep over it....

With the demise of pompey I want a club to dislike. Spurs will be that this season. It fills a void for me. Not sure why that void is there, it's just football. I don't/won't hate them. Just hope we beat them along with everybody else beating them. It will give me a slight sense of satisfaction for some reason, especially on the days we lose. I hope that's okay with you all.

With the demise of pompey I want a club to dislike. Spurs will be that this season. It fills a void for me. Not sure why that void is there, it's just football. I don't/won't hate them. Just hope we beat them along with everybody else beating them. It will give me a slight sense of satisfaction for some reason, especially on the days we lose.

I hope that's okay with you all.

No problem . We can have some t-shirts printed ........:lol:

With the demise of pompey I want a club to dislike. Spurs will be that this season. It fills a void for me. Not sure why that void is there, it's just football. I don't/won't hate them. Just hope we beat them along with everybody else beating them. It will give me a slight sense of satisfaction for some reason, especially on the days we lose. I hope that's okay with you all.

I'm happy with that, same goes for Liverpool this season.

Personally who cares about Spurs, We are Southampton and we do things are way differently. Way to many negative people on this forum I am quite new here although I am 30 years old and have supported Saints through and through since I was 8 years old.

They are a bigger club than us deal with it what I mean by this they can afford higher wages and are not afraid to take a punt on ridiculous transfer fees. However if we get our heads down and continue with Koemans philosophy and way of doing things then we will continue to progress. I like our style of doing things sure we sell players for great money might I add but lets be brutally honest here why keep a player who is a) unhappy b) is only in it for the money.

Clear out the deadwood and get some players in sure they may be cheaper and unknowns but will obviously have potential of course once in a while we may sign a few bad apples but think of how far as a club we have come over the last couple of years.

All these people going on about champions league and top 4 need a reality check. The only way we are going to do that is if we spunk ridiculous amounts of money. Or take the sensible approach and gradually sell the odd gem and strengthen further in multiple areas on the cheap.

Jordy Clasie is a massive coup for us, Being in Europe is awesome aswell and having a team full of players who actually want to be here and play for our club and follow the clubs vision that is what it's all about.

I frankly couldn't care about Spurs they beat us to signing Toby who wasn't ours in the first place..... And currently have a manager who doesn't have a plan B.

I am anticipating the future, brand new academy, new youth players coming through the future is bright the future is red and white. If we continue to lose the odd gem and milk clubs for millions so be it I wont lose any sleep over it....

Why do people keep getting on their high horse saying this when I cannot actually remember more than 1 or 2 fans saying they think we are bigger than Spurs, if any.

The fire sale continues ....next one out of the door from White Hart Lane is Benjamin Stambouli (after little more than one season).....gone to PSG for a paltry £6 million !

........wonder how much Spurs lost on THAT deal......?.

They've made a profit on him.

So far, they've done pretty well off loading some unwanted players. Still playing Adebayour's wages though.

i don't think Dutch fans would be so accommodating if one of their stars went to Ajax. It's easier to be magnanimous when they won't be playing against you.

• 2 weeks later...

the latest chapter in the "Great Spurs Fire Sale" appears to be.....Roberto Soldado. Rumour has it he'll be on the move ..with Spuds taking a loss of £15 million :scared:

..but....that's only a drop in the ocean for a "big club" like there's. Still I bet there are a lot of Spurs fans who will breathe a sigh of relief at hearing that news.....

• 2 weeks later...

In the wake of the sale of Gareth Bale's £86 million move to Real Madrid two years ago...Spurs went out and spent over £100 million .....on 7 new players.

To date; 4 of them have been sold at a loss of around £25 million, and that doesn't take into account the salaries they've all received in those two years.

More interesting is the stats. of aforementioned players who between them have played in over 400 league and cup games and netted a total of ...just 69 goals.

With hindsight perhaps only Eriksen can be called a good buy - as he alone was responsible for 22 of those 69 goals.

Bale on the other hand has scored 39 goals in 92 games.... doesn't take much imagination to see who got the best deal.

The response of the Spurs Chairman has been to sack two managers for bad results ...and still keep the idi*t who wasted all their money by buying them...:lol:

Pochettino must hope for a good start to the season ...or it'll be his head on the block soon........