Public Sector Cuts V Tax Rises For Those Of Us That Pay Their Wages

dune

As one of the millions of Britons that pays for the wasteful and bloated public sector it is my view that the Conservative led coalition are doing us proud by keeping taxes down by cutting back on the public sector. Because of the mess Labour left there were only two choices and the right choice was made.

I'd be interested to hear the views of other private sector workers. Public sector workers (including public sector retirees) and students - your opinions are not wanted on this thread, however please feel free to read the views of the people who pay your wages.

As one of the millions of Britons that pays for the wasteful and bloated public sector it is my view that the Conservative led coalition are doing us proud by keeping taxes down by cutting back on the public sector. Because of the mess Labour left there were only two choices and the right choice was made.

Nah, there were only two choices presented to you. Not quite the same thing as there only being two choices.

So straightaway mate, you're off to a bad 'un.

I'd be interested to hear the views of other private sector workers. Public sector workers (including public sector retirees) and students - your opinions are not wanted on this thread, however please feel free to read the views of the people who pay your wages.

I've worked in the private sector for the last thirteen years of my life, although I have spent around 2 years either working directly or indirectly for the public sector.

I support the strikes, largely because I think the public sector is an essential part of our society, and the two options that the Crapalition came up with are a tiny subset of the choices that are actually available to us.

Even if you think you don't use the public sector yourself, it's working for you. Every villain the police lock up, every life that is saved in an accident and emergency situation, every kid taught in school. We take the public sector for granted, yet it is responsible for so much of the fabric of society. And I'm sorry, but there is no way that I feel comfortable with essential services like this being privatised - and there is plenty of evidence to back me up.

I have spent around 2 years either working directly or indirectly for the public sector.

Please discount pap's views because a) he has worked for the public sector, and b) he lives in Liverpool.

Can anyone who has ever worked in the public sector or resides in Liverpool please refrain from posting on this thread.

Please discount pap's views because a) he has worked for the public sector, and b) he lives in Liverpool.

Can anyone who has ever worked in the public sector or resides in Liverpool please refrain from posting on this thread.

There are perfectly good reasons for discounting pap's views. This is not one of them.

Can you tell me why the Conservative led government REFUSE to carry out an audit on the cost of these pensions? Thanks.

I'll try to post pictures of the well supported (in attendance and in public support - see the lastest BBC poll) strike action in Essex today if I get round to going to Chelmsford dune, but I have a feeling that I'll probably stay in Colchester for the march there. Also, saw a very nasty survey on Sky News today that support for the government is falling at an alarming rate; people seeing the strike as the ****servaties fault eh?

Edited by Thorpe-le-Saint

Can you tell me why the Conservative led government REFUSE to carry out an audit on the cost of these pensions? Thanks.

I'll try to post pictures of the well supported (in attendance and in public support - see the lastest BBC poll) strike action in Essex today if I get round to going to Chelmsford dune, but I have a feeling that I'll probably stay in Colchester for the march there. Also, saw a very nasty survey on Sky News today that support for the government is falling at an alarming rate; people seeing the strike as the ****servaties fault eh?

Pics here please TLS.

We could, but as you are tresspassing on a thread that you don't have permission to be on, we won't.

Are pupils allowed to wander into the staffroom willy nilly? No, thought not. Now run along to your cringeworthy little demo and leave this thread for those of us who keep the country running.

We could, but as you are tresspassing on a thread that you don't have permission to be on, we won't.

Are pupils allowed to wander into the staffroom willy nilly? No, thought not. Now run along to your cringeworthy little demo and leave this thread for those of us who keep the country running.

Like some of the brighter and more streetwise kids at our school, I've managed to crack the door code, so methinks I might add to your trolling thread.

For any other Public Sector workers out there who need the code it's 1-800-TROLL

Can you tell me why the government REFUSES to carry out an audit on the cost of these pensions? Thanks dune, I'll check back on this thread via my iPhone later once I get to the mass supported strike and demonstration against this failing government. Hopefully after a bit of research time you might be able to come up with an answer.

I hope the closure of a number of job centres today means that you're still able to get hold of your JSA, but I'm hopeful that you when you get a bit older you will realise we were striking in order to protect the very services you rely on day in, day out.

Edited by Thorpe-le-Saint

Please can wannabe chairmen (regardless of the number of quiz nights they organised) please refrain from posting on this thread.

A worker on the board/cabinet and none of this would have materialised.

We could also have lowered the heat in this confrontation by organising a sort of Union/Whitehall Challenge quizzy thing. David Starkey in the chair. And here's your starter for ten.

A quiz sounds fun. I'll start the ball rolling.

“The purchase of 1885 shares in Southampton Leisure Holdings by the Saints Trust is a major step forward for all fans of Southampton Football Club. It gives the average fan on the terrace a voice in the way the club is run. Right now that voice is only a whisper but in time it will grow to be roar”.

Who said this?

a) Michael Wilde.

b) Rupert Lowe.

c) Someone who wanted to be either of the above.

The two types of employment should be symbiotic although a large private sector doesn't necessarily need a public sector to function. Ideologically I would always favour private sector benefits over public sctor concessions as the private sector will be the part that provides growth and sustainability whereas a public sector, even at it's most effecient will only serve to recirculate funds rather then generate. The ultimate irony of a Labour government swelling a public sector in order to boost employment in a capitalist economic system is now finally coming back to haunt us as the economies cannot take it.

A quiz sounds fun. I'll start the ball rolling.

“The purchase of 1885 shares in Southampton Leisure Holdings by the Saints Trust is a major step forward for all fans of Southampton Football Club. It gives the average fan on the terrace a voice in the way the club is run. Right now that voice is only a whisper but in time it will grow to be roar”.

Who said this?

a) Michael Wilde.

b) Rupert Lowe.

c) Someone who wanted to be either of the above.

You need a d) as it was Nick I who then stuck my name on it.

So I think I should get an extra bouns point to make that starter worth 11, so now give me three more questions at 5 points each (I presume I playing for the Union team??).

I'm not going to give you any questions on Rhodesia or Churchill though as understand that's what your HND is in.

Ah, you're just unhappy because this deluge of private sector tub-thumpers has failed to materialise.

Still, I'm sure you get over it. You're in the unique position of forming your own views just to wind up other people. You could well believe something different tomorrow (depending on who you're unhappy with then).

As someone who works in the private sector I fully support these strikes. Osborne and his banker cronies want 95% of the population to engage in a race to the bottom so that the rich can enjoy a low wage economy.

Anyway Dune I remember you saying that you were glad that the economy was going to shrink - surely you think that more friction in the economy is a good thing?

Dune, given your views on the public sector, which of the following services, all of which depend on the work I do, would you like to see pruned to save money :

home care for the elderly / meals on wheels / sheltered housing

respite care

child protection

environmental protection

environmental health

trading standards

schools

I work in the private sector and yep, I support the strikes. Why has the government REFUSED to carry out an audit on the cost of these pensions?

Becasue it knows damn well that the pension cuts have nothing to do with finance.

I have no problem with the strike, providing those who strike are displaying their grievance appropriately, through demonstration, petitioning or any other legal display of dissatisfaction. Heaven knows where this country would be if we couldn't protest at what we consider is an injustice. I do have a problem with those who see it as a bonus day off to go out and do some Christmas shopping. Fortunately, the vast majority of those on strike will be doing so for the correct reasons. However, i have very high regard for those who are carrying on working as normal.

I thought long and hard about whether to support this strike but cant bring myself to do so. After all Ed Milliband, the union placement at the top of the Labour Party calls them "irresponsible" and has refused to support them.

If Red Ed (who owes his job to the unions) doesn't support them, why should I, someone who contributes to their wages, do so?

I have no problem with the strike, providing those who strike are displaying their grievance appropriately, through demonstration, petitioning or any other legal display of dissatisfaction. Heaven knows where this country would be if we couldn't protest at what we consider is an injustice. I do have a problem with those who see it as a bonus day off to go out and do some Christmas shopping. Fortunately, the vast majority of those on strike will be doing so for the correct reasons. However, i have very high regard for those who are carrying on working as normal.

I would suggest everyone does.

I do have a problem with those who see it as a bonus day off to go out and do some Christmas shopping.

I think you should have some sharp words with trousers, who's clearly shirking.

Just walked through a picket line (not on the way to work, I might add). Very pleasant experience - everyone chatty and happy at the turnout.

I've just been down to Poole,where the bridge was meant to be shut to traffic all day. Saw a couple of clowns........sorry, union members hanging around, and asked them if this was a picket line? "Sort of" was the reply. Asked them why the bridge was open to traffic, when it was meant to be closed. Turns out that they just wanted to disurpt the rush hour traffic this morning, to inconvience people like me, who pay their wages, but had now decided to go back to work and open the bridge.

So much for a day of action, and high principles. They seemed to have hit on a new form of industrial action, the "lie in". Where union members have an extra couple of hours in bed, and then go to work. It's a win-win, ****es off the public but they dont lose much pay............

So much for a day of action, and high principles. They seemed to have hit on a new form of industrial action, the "lie in". Where union members have an extra couple of hours in bed, and then go to work. It's a win-win, ****es off the public but they dont lose much pay............

Didn't Francis Fraud suggest that strikers should just take a token 15 minutes of action ? Maybe they are following his advice.

I do hope the 7 protesters outside Eastleigh BC offices will be joined by the hundreds more who are obviously not in Top Shop/Debenhams/Bed watching daytime TV at the moment. How can anyone take the strike seriously when a large number of those on strike spend all day tossing it off? Fair enough to those who turn out and good luck to ya, though.

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/9392423.Thousands_walk_out_in_strike_action/

I've just been down to Poole,where the bridge was meant to be shut to traffic all day. Saw a couple of clowns........sorry, union members hanging around, and asked them if this was a picket line? "Sort of" was the reply. Asked them why the bridge was open to traffic, when it was meant to be closed. Turns out that they just wanted to disurpt the rush hour traffic this morning, to inconvience people like me, who pay their wages, but had now decided to go back to work and open the bridge.

Bless, you're so bitter. Take deep breaths and clam down.

I'm glad these strikes are going ahead, they will just prove to the government how little public sector workers we actually need when skeleton staff do pretty much the same job (welcome to how the real world work)

This "massive day of action" will not effect me in the slightest.

Ultimately, everyone acts in self-interest these days, rightly or wrongly. As a result, as this strike doesn't directly affect me, I'm not really that bothered by it all, to be honest.

If people have a genuine reason to go on strike - and I don't really know enough about the situation here to decide one way or the other - that's fine, but every single one of them should be manning the picket line for the duration of time they were due to work that day. If there's one thing that only adds fuel to the "lazy, workshy public sector workers" stereotype, it's people "on strike" who use the day to have a lie-in, go and do a bit of shopping, go to the gym when it's quiet, etc, and then the same people wonder why private sector workers get arsey when another day of strike action is announced.