Public Sector Cuts V Tax Rises For Those Of Us That Pay Their Wages

dune

Please respect this. This thread is about the views of private sector workers.

Great that’s me allowed to contribute to Dunes private little rant. As a private sector higher rate tax payer I fully support the Public Sector workers strike today and what’s more have been very pleased with service I get from my school, hospitals etc. Unlike the so called entrepreneurial builder (he actually had one of those awful Capitalism Works Stickers in his van) I once employed who failed to complete the contracted work then did a runner leaving me with a bill twice the size of his original quote.

What happened to Dune to invoke that much bitterness? Every thread, every post. Can't be healthy. I hope it's mostly put on, sad to see that happen to anyone really.

There's a lot of bitterness on here. Misdirected in my opinion. Still, abandoning sense and perspective seems to be a hallmark of those on the right.

I'd suggest that the vitriol would be better directed at the people who put us in the situation where we (supposedly) cannot afford the public sector. Not the people who are striking today.

We might pay their wages, but they earn what they get paid the same as everyone else.

Good luck to the striking workers. I have every sympathy when they only agreed changes to their pension arrangements in 2008. It seems the Government are happy to fund bankers and their lavish lifestyles without question, but take back from 'easy targets'.

The firm I work for recently changed our pension arrangements, with our agreement. I would feel angry if they came back in a couple of years and said 'f*ck you, pay even more, retire even later, on less money'.

Typical Tory attitude.

Ultimately, everyone acts in self-interest these days, rightly or wrongly. As a result, as this strike doesn't directly affect me, I'm not really that bothered by it all, to be honest.

If people have a genuine reason to go on strike - and I don't really know enough about the situation here to decide one way or the other - that's fine, but every single one of them should be manning the picket line for the duration of time they were due to work that day. If there's one thing that only adds fuel to the "lazy, workshy public sector workers" stereotype, it's people "on strike" who use the day to have a lie-in, go and do a bit of shopping, go to the gym when it's quiet, etc, and then the same people wonder why private sector workers get arsey when another day of strike action is announced.

codes of practice for strike (both sides) says should be no more than 6 picketing at any one site

We might pay their wages, but they earn what they get paid the same as everyone else.

Good luck to the striking workers. I have every sympathy when they only agreed changes to their pension arrangements in 2008. It seems the Government are happy to fund bankers and their lavish lifestyles without question, but take back from 'easy targets'.

The firm I work for recently changed our pension arrangements, with our agreement. I would feel angry if they came back in a couple of years and said 'f*ck you, pay even more, retire even later, on less money'.

Typical Tory attitude.

Very good post, I agree 100% with this.

Typical Tory attitude.

I suspect a big difference is that :-

a) your bosses have probably been in their jobs for more than 2 years

b) they know what they're doing

c) they know the value of having a happy workforce

Every policy the Crapalition has implemented or tried to implement has been an utter shambles. They haven't got control over the economy and their policies are based on naive fantasy.

Wade Garrett that would be the reason the flying pickets longer produce records

NickG your right about the number of Pickets. seems like the unions have forgotten about that. Also they are supposed to picket their own place of work .

17. The expression "at or near his own place of work" is not further defined in statute law. The

provisions mean that, except for those covered by paragraphs 22 and 23 below, lawful

picketing must be limited to attendance at, or near, an entrance to or exit from the factory, site

or office at which the picket works. Picketing should be confined to a location, or locations, as

near as practicable to the place of work.

18. The law does not enable a picket to attend lawfully at an entrance to, or exit from, any

place of work other than his own. This applies even, for example, if those working at the other

place of work are employed by the same.

However some are ignoring the law and by doing so are carrying out secondary picketing

Let's abolish the public sector and see how the private sector do(no education for a start... expand it from there). Anyways, it can't be that inefficient, as Osborne and co are acting like today's strike is an economic catastrophe so the public sector must contribute loads to the economy. How come it is alright to call a day off for a royal wedding, but the second 2 million people(substantially less than got the day off for royal wedding) use their democratic right to strike, they are ruining the economy.

Just seen this on Twitter. Sums up my feelings about the Unions too.

"Unions: the people who brought you the weekend, capped working hours, employment rights, fair wages, pensions and ended child labour."

Yep. None of those things would ever have happened without the unions.

Let's abolish the public sector and see how the private sector do(no education for a start... expand it from there). Anyways, it can't be that inefficient, as Osborne and co are acting like today's strike is an economic catastrophe so the public sector must contribute loads to the economy. How come it is alright to call a day off for a royal wedding, but the second 2 million people(substantially less than got the day off for royal wedding) use their democratic right to strike, they are ruining the economy.

I was led to believe that the Royal Wedding (and other such events) had a net positive effect on the UK economy (not just on the day but over a period of time)? I don't have the stats to hand so can't substantiate that (feel free to correct me via provision of said stats).

To compare something that is also an income generator with something that is purely destructive (in economical terms) is "comparing apples with oranges" terriotory.

Just an opinion mind you.

Just out of interest, is there no acknowledgement from dune that public sector workers also pay tax, and therefore also pay their own wages?

Yet they cannot pay their own wages. The sum simply doesn't add up, although yes, they do supplement them just a little.

Yet they cannot pay their own wages. The sum simply doesn't add up, although yes, they do supplement them just a little.

The main contributors to public sector wages are the top 1% who pay 27% of all taxes collected by the exchequer. Just think how much they would contribute if they weren't so busy avoiding tax...

Edited by trousers

Arghhhhhhhhhhh. NO F/CKING STUDENTS. Especially ones that know it all.

Question for everyone else: If someone were to ask you for a link to a website or story with the details about today's strike, and as much unbiased and factual information as possible, so this person could make up their own mind, free of as much journalistic licence and political agenda as possible, where would you direct them?

Question for everyone else: If someone were to ask you for a link to a website or story with the details about today's strike, and as much unbiased and factual information as possible, so this person could make up their own mind, free of as much journalistic licence and political agenda as possible, where would you direct them?

pick the mirror and the mail - the truth is somewhere in the middle

If certain mods did their job it wouldn't be required.

To be fair, I don't think you can expect Mods to suddenly act to protect your self-imposed rules on a thread. Here's a novel idea that works for me on forums like this: Take note and reply to the people who answer your question and give responses that you respect, and ignore the ones who don't.

pick the mirror and the mail - the truth is somewhere in the middle

It's easy to take the facts of a story and add journalistic licence and political agenda to it, it's much harder to reverse. So I'd quite like an information source that has none of that to begin with.

If it exists. It may not.

It's easy to take the facts of a story and add journalistic licence and political agenda to it, it's much harder to reverse. So I'd quite like an information source that has none of that to begin with.

If it exists. It may not.

SKY News is the closest we have to impartial news, unlike the BBCC.

Ah, so this thread has followed its inevitable course, now that it turns out to be about you.

I'm going to surprise everyone now by not making a comment about therapists or medication. Not as predictable as you thought, eh Verbal.

I'm going to surprise everyone now by not making a comment about therapists or medication. Not as predictable as you thought, eh Verbal.

I've been charitable and left your medication out of it. But I'm curious - are you on strike? Because you seem to have an awful lot of free time today. Or are you - again - secretly wasting your employer's time and money?

The estimated cost of the Royal Wedding to industry was about £5bn whereas today could cost £0.5bn.

But at least the government is on the right track with rising growth (oh, it's not), borrowing less (oh, they're increasing it) and falling unemployment (oops, it rising). So less tax revenues, more spent on benefits.

I've been charitable and left your medication out of it. But I'm curious - are you on strike? Because you seem to have an awful lot of free time today. Or are you - again - secretly wasting your employer's time and money?

Did you or did you not once mention having a therapist?

This thread hasn't really gone the way dune had hoped, I imagine.

I'm gutted, but I take solace in the fact we have a Conservative led coalition that is going to push through public sector cuts and there's nothing you can do about it.:smug:

Shall we call it 1-1 and move on?

As both an income and corporation tax payer, my only real issue with the public sector is the size of salaries of some at the top end. Demonising public sector workers is becoming a sport played to amuse the dumb and stupid.

Those at the lower end in the public sector get paid more than their private sector counterparts; those at the higher end get paid considerably less than their private sector counterparts. Public sector workers in London and SE get rawer deal than those oop north because of union opposition to regional pay. Services provided by the public sector tend to be higher quality but are more expensive; the same services provided by the private sector tend to be lower quality but cheaper and more efficiently delivered. These are all more or less FACTS.

Edited by shurlock