Fence ownership / responsibility

SO16_Saint

Due to the winds last night, my fence is fooked and has been damaged.

As you look out the back door, it's the fence on the right. I've looked on the net for ownership advice, but it's not clear.

Does anyone know a definitive answer? Am I or my neighbour responsible for that side?

As you look out the back door, it's the fence on the right. I've looked on the net for ownership advice, but it's not clear.

Does anyone know a definitive answer? Am I or my neighbour responsible for that side?

You need to check your deeds. There is no definitive answer - we own the fence on the left, the fence on the right and the fence at the end. Marvellous.

You need to check your deeds. There is no definitive answer - we own the fence on the left, the fence on the right and the fence at the end. Marvellous.

I am relieved to find that I am not the only one in this situation !

It is a real bummer that everytime something happens (or even just repairs etc..) it is down to me, as it is a half acre plot with a mixture of hedges and fences it is both expensive and time

consuming to maintain !

The background is that my house (almost 100 years old!) was there first and that the newer ones to each side were not allowed to infringe my boundary !

It probably made sense at the time but still a pain nevertheless !!

I am relieved to find that I am not the only one in this situation !

It is a real bummer that everytime something happens (or even just repairs etc..) it is down to me, as it is a half acre plot with a mixture of hedges and fences it is both expensive and time

consuming to maintain !

The background is that my house (almost 100 years old!) was there first and that the newer ones to each side were not allowed to infringe my boundary !

It probably made sense at the time but still a pain nevertheless !!

Exactly, it is a pain! Last year I lost almost the entire left hand side apart from a sheltered couple nearer the house ... 12 panels and posts later :(

This year, looking at the right hand side, fence panels roughly the same age, I'm just waiting really now!

We own the fence on the right as you look out the back door.

Handily we live next door to a bit of an odd-job man and he is always out there fixing things, so I have never had to do a thing to it.

He does it all cos he likes doing that sort of thing, who am I to stop him.

Just get it fixed you tight bastard :)

The only way you can tell is by looking at the deeds. My parents own the fence on the right, we own the fence on the left. The strange thing is that I live on the same side of the road as my parents, albeit about 400yds away, so somewhere in between us, someone owns both side. The position of the fence posts are not really a good guide, it just depends on how the fencer decided to do it on the day, our posts are central with the panels fixed between.

IIRC, if you have a mortgage then the Title Deeds (or for new properties Title Register and Title Plan) will be with the mortgage lender. So you'll need to go to the Land Registry and buy a copy (and possible next doors as well).

And when you first bought the property, your solicitor should have given you a copy of the Deeds or at least a plan showing the boundaries.