Portugal and Spain Joint World Cup bid

Thedelldays

for 2018

hope that is not the one that england want...

surely it has to come to us...surely

on another note..having both spain and portugal gaining auto qualiication...would mean getting to the world cup would be a tad easier I guess

I'd be a bit ****ed if they did get a joint bid bearing in mind they Spaniards had it in '82. Also, to bo honest they should be able to host it on their own, Spain that is. Next it'll be Wales and Scotland to guarantee a world cup place!

Brazil are hosting it in 2014. I'm afraid we are bidding for 2018: Surely it is about time we were giving the honour of hosting it. Especially as there could be up to 4 world class stadiums within London that we could use?

I would like to think we will have more sway with FIFA than UEFA....

saying that...give it a couple of years and platini will be the head honcho....then we will be screwed

I'd be a bit ****ed if they did get a joint bid bearing in mind they Spaniards had it in '82. Also, to bo honest they should be able to host it on their own, Spain that is. Next it'll be Wales and Scotland to guarantee a world cup place!

The way our national teams are performing, maybe we should consider an England, Ireland, Scotland, Wales joint bid :(

Brazil are hosting it in 2014. I'm afraid we are bidding for 2018: Surely it is about time we were giving the honour of hosting it. Especially as there could be up to 4 world class stadiums within London that we could use?

They will not care about this as you can only use 2 stadiums per city.

Te stadiums could be:

Wembely

Emirates

Twikkers

Villa Park

St James Park

Stadium of Light

The new Anfield

Old Trafford

Elland Road

City of Manchester

Build a stadium in Bristol or Plymouth (Bristol City or Plymouth would probably have been in the Premiership by then, so could use it)

Either expand St. Mary's or the new Pompey Stadium (bear in mind this is a dream world in which England ost the World Cup!)

for 2018

on another note..having both spain and portugal gaining auto qualiication...would mean getting to the world cup would be a tad easier I guess

I suspect with two "hosts" there will be one less qualifying place to go for though.

And why's that? You had it in '66 so wouldn't Holland and Belgium be first in line then?

nothing to do with 66...we have invested more in stadiums than most other nations..more on anti-racism than other nations..more on anti hooligans than most other nations...more promoting football abroad than most other nations...

I could go on...did you see that I never mentioned 1966 there once..?

And why's that? You had it in '66 so wouldn't Holland and Belgium be first in line then?

nothing to do with 66...we have invested more in stadiums than most other nations..more on anti-racism than other nations..more on anti hooligans than most other nations...more promoting football abroad than most other nations...

Te stadiums could be:

Wembely

Emirates

Twikkers

Villa Park

St James Park

Stadium of Light

The new Anfield

Old Trafford

Elland Road

City of Manchester

Build a stadium in Bristol or Plymouth (Bristol City or Plymouth would probably have been in the Premiership by then, so could use it)

Either expand St. Mary's or the new Pompey Stadium (bear in mind this is a dream world in which England ost the World Cup!)

Football can't be played at Twickers.

I don't want it in England, I fancy a couple of weeks in Portugal.

Ok, lets see. If Holland would get the tournament with Belgium they would increase the capacity of almost all their rather modern stadiums to at least 40.000 as well as two over 60.000 including a new one in/near Amsterdam. As for your anti-racism and anti-hooligan argument, that might be valid for Spain but not for the Netherlands. In reality you might as well flip a coin to see who should get it, both would organize a good tournament in top-notch stadiums. Give me one reason why England would be better then Holland & Belgium?

Ok, lets see. If Holland would get the tournament with Belgium they would increase the capacity of almost all their rather modern stadiums to at least 40.000 as well as two over 60.000 including a new one in/near Amsterdam. As for your anti-racism and anti-hooligan argument, that might be valid for Spain but not for the Netherlands. In reality you might as well flip a coin to see who should get it, both would organize a good tournament in top-notch stadiums. Give me one reason why England would be better then Holland & Belgium?

im not going to give a reason.....unless of course holland and belgium are going to bid for the thing then your point is a non starter..

england only have to worry about the other nations bidding..

im not going to give a reason.....unless of course holland and belgium are going to bid for the thing then your point is a non starter..

england only have to worry about the other nations bidding..

They were the first ones to officially bid for the thing.

I will give a reason. Because football is better supported in England than it is in Holland and Belgium put together.

How exactly is this measured? Just total attendances or is it measured against the population?

If its the former then: Duh

If its the latter, show me some numbers. I doubt if that is actually true.

But if English teams continue to dominate the Champions League for the next 10 years , I think it would look a bit crappy if all the best players in the World were in the Premier League , so the public get to see them every week, and then we have the tournament here, so we get to see them some more.

I say spread the tournament around so that 3rd world countries like Spain and Portugal get a chance.

And the Russians are the latest to enter the race -

http://www.football365.com/story/0,17033,8652_4823276,00.html

It wouldn't surprise me if the Aussies got it :cool:

Its a double bid for both 2018 and 2022, I wouldn't be surprised if Australia gets one of them but I can almost guarantee you that one of them will go to a European country.

I do have to agree with hypocondraic that England has the bonus of already having the required stadiums but on the other hand, its not like its going to be next year. It will be in 2018 or 2022, so there will be plenty of time to expand the stadiums in Holland and Belgium and the plans are already there to do so.

Do get me wrong, I'm sure that England could host a perfect WC but so could Holland & Belgium and probably several other nations. To suggest that it would be ridiculous to give it to any other nation then England is just laughable.

Its a double bid for both 2018 and 2022, I wouldn't be surprised if Australia gets one of them but I can almost guarantee you that one of them will go to a European country.

I do have to agree with hypocondraic that England has the bonus of already having the required stadiums but on the other hand, its not like its going to be next year. It will be in 2018 or 2022, so there will be plenty of time to expand the stadiums in Holland and Belgium and the plans are already there to do so.

Do get me wrong, I'm sure that England could host a perfect WC but so could Holland & Belgium and probably several other nations. To suggest that it would be ridiculous to give it to any other nation then England is just laughable.

well..considering we are english (well most of us) here....I would not say it is laughable..I happen to think that we will be the best possible nation to host it...in my biased view of course.

its not like its going to be next year. It will be in 2018 or 2022, so there will be plenty of time to expand the stadiums in Holland and Belgium and the plans are already there to do so.

Does it make sense though, to expand all your grounds by 10-20,000 just for one tournament? Wouldn't you just end up with a load of half-empty stadiums afterwards?

I wonder what happened to all the grounds they built in Portugal and Austria-Switzerland for recent competitions? There's no point having big grounds if you haven't got the population to fill them.

England has the advantage that all the grounds are already there and are full every week. We could host a world cup our european championships at a few weeks notice if we had to.

The current economic situation will mean people look more closely at this sort of issue than they have in the past.

Does it make sense though, to expand all your grounds by 10-20,000 just for one tournament? Wouldn't you just end up with a load of half-empty stadiums afterwards?

I wonder what happened to all the grounds they built in Portugal and Austria-Switzerland for recent competitions? There's no point having big grounds if you haven't got the population to fill them.

England has the advantage that all the grounds are already there and are full every week. We could host a world cup our european championships at a few weeks notice if we had to.

The current economic situation will mean people look more closely at this sort of issue than they have in the past.

The clubs want to extend their stadioums anyway but they couldn't afford to do such big expansions in one go. The advantage of the WC would be that city councils would be more willing to help with both planning permissions and finances. Heerenveen and FC Twente already have concrete plans to go to 40000+, WC or no WC and AZ has already got building permission to extend their stadium to 30.000 with a possible extension to 60000. Perhaps the clubs won't sell out for pretty much every league game like they do now but it will be full enough.