Brand and Woss have Sachs...on the phone.

saint lard

No one seems to have mentioned how the public choose certain people who can't be taken the p1ss out of.

It was Andrew Sachs, who is a wee little man that made a lot of people laugh. What if it was someone like Kerry Katona (n' all those types) that were at the wrong end of a prank?? I'm sure most people would just laugh!

No one seems to have mentioned how the public choose certain people who can't be taken the p1ss out of.

It was Andrew Sachs, who is a wee little man that made a lot of people laugh. What if it was someone like Kerry Katona (n' all those types) that were at the wrong end of a prank?? I'm sure most people would just laugh!

Can we make a dinstinction between a prank (a planned action to elicit laughter albeit at someone elses expense) and two rich "lads" being unable to control themselves, not worrying about the results of their actions, and thinking that they cannot be touched. Is this "quality" broadcasting ( whatever your definition of "quality" is?

Can we make a dinstinction between a prank (a planned action to elicit laughter albeit at someone elses expense) and two rich "lads" being unable to control themselves, not worrying about the results of their actions, and thinking that they cannot be touched. Is this "quality" broadcasting ( whatever your definition of "quality" is?

So you are saying what they did wasnt a prank? By your definition above, sounds very much like a prank. The called him (that had to be planned, phones cant dial on their own) with the idea of eliciting laughter at Sachs expense.

It was a prank call and while I do not find it particularly funny, there are so many people who have jumped all over this because either a) They hate Ross/Brand or both and want a chance to take a swing at them. b) They hate the BBC and want a chance to take a swing at it or c) They really are sad.

So you are saying what they did wasnt a prank? By your definition above, sounds very much like a prank. The called him (that had to be planned, phones cant dial on their own) with the idea of eliciting laughter at Sachs expense.

It was a prank call and while I do not find it particularly funny, there are so many people who have jumped all over this because either a) They hate Ross/Brand or both and want a chance to take a swing at them. b) They hate the BBC and want a chance to take a swing at it or c) They really are sad.

I believe that they were given Andrew Sachs number because they were supposed to be doing an interview over the phone. When they called Sachs was not there and they got the answering machine. At this point the "schoolboy humour" took over and the rest is history.

For the record, I actually like JR, although I can take or leave RB (too much reliance on sex and bodily functions from both of them though) and although I have Sky "Everything" I probably watch more BBC than anything else. I have no axe to grind one way or the other. To me it is just about what is and isn`t acceptable behaviour. IMHO, what happened to this ageing grandfather (regardless of who he is) goes beyond the bounds of acceptability. This was pre-recorded and could have been pulled by the Beeb and no-one would have known.

This was pre-recorded and could have been pulled by the Beeb and no-one would have known.

I completely agree with this, however they didnt and consequently it was aired. What I dont agree with is the thousands of lemmings who have taken it upon themselves to try to get these two sacked. I wonder how many of those people who complained have not made a mistake at work which they regret?!

photo-x-%247020791%24180.jpg

"Ello Andrew, this is Russell & Jonathan"

44168F58-D436-799E-97E3645517809EC6.jpg

"Wussel fw*cked her"

manuel.jpg

"Que?"

Russell-Brand_682_388073a.jpg

"I never put my dinkle in there guv"

manuel.jpg

"I no speak English so well"

russell_brand_280_373293a.jpg

"Me not either my little pumpkin"

pa374339_175x175.jpg

"Fw*cked I say, fw*cked her"

daily_mail_canvas_medium.jpg

"BAN THEM!"

article-1081414-0246DFD2000005DC-103_468x869.jpg

"Im upset, wanna see me strip? Lolz"

ed_imagessnf11tva_26_43650a.jpg

"You're fired! Or not, maybe..."

Edited by Pancake

I lol'd big time when the prime minister was talking about it. Talk about blown out of proportion! Plenty of us have said worst jokes and had a good laugh at them. This could potentially dent comedian's confidence and spoil some programs such as Mock The Week, Have I got News for You and arguably 8 out of 10 cats. I bet the rest of the world are having a good laugh at how us Brits can make such a big f*ck off deal out of such a tiny thing. Absolutely pathetic. Andrew Sachs never in a million years wanted it to go this far. I bet he wishes he never mentioned it. No way would he have ever wanted it to mess up careers or fuss so many people.

I don't care for either of them. Jonathan Ross is a complete tosser - mostly because of his ridiculous wages. Brand is a bit more funny, but I wouldn't care if I never heard of either of them again. As Sachs is an ex-comedian I think he should have kept his face shut. He's earned a pretty penny from people laughing at him making a tit of himself, so why he was bothered about this I don't know.

Edited by thesaint sfc

By taking the p*ss out of the indefencable Spannish, Germans, the deaf etc etc :rolleyes:

So Frankie Boyles makes a joke about the Queens p*ssy being haunted (:D) on last night on Mock the week - will he be next for a public flogging ?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1081966/Even-Russell-Brand-row-raged-BBC-comedians-insulting-Queen.html

:(

I blame the media for all this, the Mail have always hated Brand so jumped at the chance to screw him over. That radio show was really funny, good to see Amstell, Carr etc come out in support. Storm in a teacup if ever there was one. While what they did was out of order, it was hardly outrageous, and the fact that only 2 complaints were voiced before the Mail picked up on it speaks volumes.

This was pre-recorded and could have been pulled by the Beeb and no-one would have known.

I completely agree with this, however they didnt and consequently it was aired. What I dont agree with is the thousands of lemmings who have taken it upon themselves to try to get these two sacked. I wonder how many of those people who complained have not made a mistake at work which they regret?!

I do hope the producer of the show has lost their job over this.

Looking at the pics you've posted, Pancake - I wonder how many of the same lemmings who complained would also complain about how the granddaughter looks?

You lot on here won't think she offends, dressing like that, but lots of the blue-rinse brigade would.

I agree BTF. I think the girl lost a lot of sympathy as soon as she wrote the story in the Sun, but we cant get away from the messages left to the grandad. Even a 10 year old kid would know that was wrong and Ross should have called a halt to it being broadcast and tried to get it sorted with Sachs immediately.The BBC should have not let it fester and yes the media (DM) did whip it up but that is their job. No different to many other stories that are found and then published.

I do hope you didnt dress like that in your dance troupe days, skirts to the ankles Im sure

I agree BTF. I think the girl lost a lot of sympathy as soon as she wrote the story in the Sun, but we cant get away from the messages left to the grandad. Even a 10 year old kid would know that was wrong and Ross should have called a halt to it being broadcast and tried to get it sorted with Sachs immediately.The BBC should have not let it fester and yes the media (DM) did whip it up but that is their job. No different to many other stories that are found and then published.

I do hope you didnt dress like that in your dance troupe days, skirts to the ankles Im sure

:oops: :-$

Let's hope lessons have been learned all round, eh? What I do find interesting is the low profile Andrew Sachs has kept, apart from the one interview he did in which, to me, he didn't really seem to be that upset.

I'd like to be a fly on the wall in the Sachs family house, however.

I'm very broadminded and don't really like censorship. But I did find Little Britain last night far more offensive than the reported answerphone messages to A Sachs.

Well done Russell for bringing a little controversy back. British humour nowadays is just lame because people complain too much about controversial jokes. People over react too much, that is the main problem with humour nowadays.

Russell knew what he was getting in to when he broadcast this joke. But he still did it. Thats the type of person Russell is

It's the British way to complain i guess

I find Brand quite funny.

I aint a fan of Wossie though, but he is clearly a BBC legend as his show still gets millions of viewers.

On the joke, I found it slightly funny. but it was a breach of privacy though! But I love controversy! Although it was a joke too far.

Edited by Calvin

It just goes to show the effect that the racist propaganda that is The Daily Mail has on the moronic public. Russell Brand's show is hilarious and it's easily the best thing on the radio. It's a great shame that he's resigned now because of some stupid little newspaper trying to drum up some controversy to sell papers.

Brand and Ross are by far the best presenters contracted to the BBC. I never miss Friday Night with Jonathan Ross and I listen to Russell Brand's Radio 2 show whenever it's on and i'm dismayed that the BBC have seen fit to suspend both of them, to the point where RB has resigned, with JR probably likely to resign as well. The BBC will realise they've made a massive mistake, as both will be snapped up by other channels (Brand already has a contract with C4 for Ponderland and he'll probably get a radio slot at Virgin/Xfm or another station).

I've completely lost faith in the british public now and I can't wait for the outcry when we're faced with even more Dale Winton on the radio and Graham Norton on the TV... not that I have anything against orange looking gay blokes that is.

It just goes to show the effect that the racist propaganda that is The Daily Mail has on the moronic public. Russell Brand's show is hilarious and it's easily the best thing on the radio. It's a great shame that he's resigned now because of some stupid little newspaper trying to drum up some controversy to sell papers.

Brand and Ross are by far the best presenters contracted to the BBC. I never miss Friday Night with Jonathan Ross and I listen to Russell Brand's Radio 2 show whenever it's on and i'm dismayed that the BBC have seen fit to suspend both of them, to the point where RB has resigned, with JR probably likely to resign as well. The BBC will realise they've made a massive mistake, as both will be snapped up by other channels (Brand already has a contract with C4 for Ponderland and he'll probably get a radio slot at Virgin/Xfm or another station).

I've completely lost faith in the british public now and I can't wait for the outcry when we're faced with even more Dale Winton on the radio and Graham Norton on the TV... not that I have anything against orange looking gay blokes that is.

So you call the paper rascist and then the public moronic.

I love comedy programmes, I dont see anything in Harry Hill but like Alan Carr, Jimmy Carr Monty P, bits of little britain and comics like Chubby brown so Im not averse to odd humour but they went too far and people have been looking to cut Ross down to size.This is the opportunity.

i just love this.

to have an opinion you have to read he daily mail..

I guess it missed your attention that ALL the papers/media regardless of their stance on society have slammed their actions...the times, guardian, sun, mirror, observer and (heaven forbid) the daily mail...

this is just ANOTHER **** up by the BBC who, take OUR money every year and produce mostly crap telly

I think you are the moron with your ill informed opinion

I didn't realise until this morning that the actual programme went out on 18 October but the ordure didn't hit the air conditioning until last weekend :shock:

TDD you're right that all the newspapers climbed on the bandwagon, but I think it was the DM that started it.

You're also right in that the senior management at the BBC should have pulled the segment before it was broadcast and the Controller of BBC2, who is apparently very highly thought of by all who work for that channel, has resigned because that didn't happen. So that should be the end to the matter now.

What worries me (and SuperMikey alludes to this) is that cutting edge comedy will be dumbed down or somehow castrated. That may not be such a problem if it means schoolboy pranks like this don't happen any more.

It will be a problem if newspapers start forcing a situation whereby REAL cutting edge comedy / satire cannot be aired.

One section of society controlling the media is very, very worrying.

I didn't realise until this morning that the actual programme went out on 18 October but the ordure didn't hit the air conditioning until last weekend :shock:

TDD you're right that all the newspapers climbed on the bandwagon, but I think it was the DM that started it.

You're also right in that the senior management at the BBC should have pulled the segment before it was broadcast and the Controller of BBC2, who is apparently very highly thought of by all who work for that channel, has resigned because that didn't happen. So that should be the end to the matter now.

What worries me (and SuperMikey alludes to this) is that cutting edge comedy will be dumbed down or somehow castrated. That may not be such a problem if it means schoolboy pranks like this don't happen any more.

It will be a problem if newspapers start forcing a situation whereby REAL cutting edge comedy / satire cannot be aired.

i just cant put this and "cutting edge" comedy in the same bracket.....im sorry, but making a prank phone call and getting paid millions for it is as far from cutting edge as you can get...

all of the media jumped on the band wagon as WE ARE ALL license fee payers and we ALL had and have a right to know what our money is spent on...

That may not be such a problem if it means schoolboy pranks like this don't happen any more.

TDD At no time have I EVER said that the Brand Russell stuff was cutting edge as you will see if you read my post (or any of my previous posts on this subject) again.

To me, cutting edge comedy is the sort of stuff done by Mark Thomas.

And I'd be VERY worried if that sort of stuff was removed as a result of these events or because certain sections of the press didn't like it.

well..there are plenty more channels other than the BBC.....

Most of them dross. The only ones worth watching are the ones that show BBC repeats IMO.

However, if the BBC does stop showing GOOD comedy, then I'll switch.

But then the BBC does do outstanding programmes with the quality unmatched by any other programme producers.

Most of them dross. The only ones worth watching are the ones that show BBC repeats IMO.

However, if the BBC does stop showing GOOD comedy, then I'll switch.

But then the BBC does do outstanding programmes with the quality unmatched by any other programme producers.

seriously

when has the BBC shown GOOD comedy

maybe little britain

Have I got news for you is about it

seriously

when has the BBC shown GOOD comedy

maybe little britain

Have I got news for you is about it

I don't think Little Britain is in the slightest bit funny any more. Just the same old one themes repeated over and over. I imagine some viewers would find the stuff they do very offensive. Doesn't bother me - I don't watch it any more.

But I was talking about BBC programmes in general actually. Like the classic dramas, Spooks, the Arts programmes, the documentaries, David Attenborough's stuff etc. etc.

• 2 months later...
More over blown nonsense today from what is probably a bunch of Daily Mail/Express readers who have nothing better to do:

http://entertainment.uk.msn.com/tv/news/Article.aspx?cp-documentid=13293908&GT1=61503

Of course Jose Maria Moreno should probably realise that nobody would even have known that Jonathan Ross was referring to his mother had he kept his mouth shut...

If this is the best that the News of the World can do for a scandal these days then they really are in trouble...