Brand and Woss have Sachs...on the phone.

saint lard

It is umimportant and pointless, sach is a idiot for being offended by something that is true, and they are both idiots for thinking it is funny.

There are far more important things in the world to worry about than them, sacking them will only push them into the media limelight more and they will get paid more by Sky, ITV or Channel 4.

i couldnt careless about the social implications, which it doesnt have.

Should Fonejacker be taken of air then?

So, if you or someone close to you was suffering from some horrible, possibly fatal disease, and someone else made fun of you, then that would be O.K. would it? Because its true? Or would that be different?

My argument on this is that these two, who I normally have no major problem with, acted like a couple of out of control, priviledged public school boys on nightclub crawl. They thought that they couldn`t be touched and can do whatever they want. It certainly wasn`t comedy, it was a form of bullying against an elderly grandfather with no thought whatsoever for his feelings.

i couldnt careless about the social implications.... Sadly this one statement says a lot about peoples general attitude in society today. "I couldn`t care less"

So, if you or someone close to you was suffering from some horrible, possibly fatal disease, and someone else made fun of you, then that would be O.K. would it? Because its true? Or would that be different?

My argument on this is that these two, who I normally have no major problem with, acted like a couple of out of control, priviledged public school boys on nightclub crawl. They thought that they couldn`t be touched and can do whatever they want. It certainly wasn`t comedy, it was a form of bullying against an elderly grandfather with no thought whatsoever for his feelings.

i couldnt careless about the social implications.... Sadly this one statement says a lot about peoples general attitude in society today. "I couldn`t care less"

Obviously not, but i dont know or have i meet these 4 tiresome gimps, so i dont care, it doesnt affect my life, so i dont care.

Obviously not, but i dont know or have i meet these 4 tiresome gimps, so i dont care, it doesnt affect my life, so i dont care.

I didn't realise Brand and Ross had killed them! Jesus, my sympathies are with Sachs, his grand daughter and ALL the family. I cannot believe they have just been suspended for this. It's becaus they're famous. If anyone else had murdered two people (one of them was 78 you know) they would have been arrested and thrown in jail.

Also, poor people did die of cholera because they were the ones near the poorest water supply. Take a look at the figures for 19th century industrial Britain.

Very good. I like the fact you've pulled another issue in from another thread. I did look at the figures years ago, for cholera outbreak in a pre-Joseph Bazalgette London. If memory serves, try looking at Bethnal Green and you'll find that it was a very, very poor district; in fact one of the poorest. Yet its cholera deaths were much less than surrounding more affluent districts because it was further away from foul water. So low income isn't a factor in causing cholera, it is close proximity to foul water and nothing else. The fact that people died, rich or poor, is just because the water company drew it's drinking water out of the foul mess that was the River Thames at the time. Other water companies drew their water from up river, and far fewer people died as a result, including poor people from the Bethnal Green district. Of course I realise poor people did die in the outbreak back then, and fact they were in the majority. But the poorer are always in a majority.

As for Sachs and his daughter, all I can say is, true, nobody killed them. But would anyone like what happened to them, happen to you or me..? If we wouldn't like it, why would they be any different..? Nobody is exempt from having their feelings hurt.

Personally, I believe that fashionable celebrity presenters/comedians/etc.. get away with too much p!ss taking of people from other walks of life, including the general public.

Any chance of moving on from this now..? I think it has had enough attention now.

Edited by St Landrew

I didn't realise Brand and Ross had killed them! Jesus, my sympathies are with Sachs, his grand daughter and ALL the family. I cannot believe they have just been suspended for this. It's becaus they're famous. If anyone else had murdered two people (one of them was 78 you know) they would have been arrested and thrown in jail.

Also, poor people did die of cholera because they were the ones near the poorest water supply. Take a look at the figures for 19th century industrial Britain.

Very good. I like the fact you've pulled another issue in from another thread. I did look at the figures years ago, for cholera outbreak in a pre-Joseph Bazalgette London. If memory serves, try looking at Bethnal Green and you'll find that it was a very, very poor district; in fact one of the poorest. Yet its cholera deaths were much less than surrounding more affluent districts because it was further away from foul water. So low income isn't a factor in causing cholera, it is close proximity to foul water and nothing else. The fact that people died, rich or poor, is just because the water company drew it's drinking water out of the foul mess that was the River Thames at the time. Other water companies drew their water from up river, and far fewer people died as a result, including poor people from the Bethnal Green district. Of course I realise poor people did die in the outbreak back then, and fact they were in the majority. But the poorer are always in a majority.

As for Sachs and his daughter, all I can say is, true, nobody killed them. But would anyone like what happened to them, happen to you or me..? If we wouldn't like it, why would they be any different..? Nobody is exempt from having their feelings hurt.

Personally, I believe that fashionable celebrity presenters/comedians/etc.. get away with too much p!ss taking of people from other walks of life, including the general public.

Any chance of moving on from this now..? I think it has had enough attention now.

Edited by St Landrew

But it does effect your life. This is all about acceptable standards of behavior and respect for other people both of which are on the decline. It is about quality of life and how we all interact with each other. If you are happy the fact that people can say whatever they want about in any manner they want with any repercussions then thats your problem.

Sadly, in this country, selfishness rules ATM. As long as I can do or say what I want, I don`t care what effect it has on anybody else. F**k everyone else!!:(

OK the stuffed oldies have won!

How many more campaigns will the lunatic right (Daily Mail) start? How dare a newspaper drive the decisions of the BBC - the same BBC that belongs to ALL of us.

I don't like Ross, I don't really understand Brand (because I'm an oldie) and I think what they did was in very poor taste, but I shudder at the influence of a rag like the Mail.

BTF I think I think Ican recall you being sensitive on here about an illness that a close member of your family sufered from was being laughed about. If you had those 2 idiots phone you up leaving messages about it i doubt you would be criticising the Mail for trying to get the fools punished.

As for the BBC isnt it interesting how they towed the line to the Labour party when the Licence review came up a couple of years back. The BBc is supposedly independent but there are subtle ways to control it.

I think Sachs contributed more to the world of comedy in 12 episodes of Fawlty Towers than either of those two boring, attention seeking, unfunny, overpaid tw*ts have in their careers.

By taking the p*ss out of the indefencable Spannish, Germans, the deaf etc etc :rolleyes:

So Frankie Boyles makes a joke about the Queens p*ssy being haunted (:D) on last night on Mock the week - will he be next for a public flogging ?

Nearly 30,000 have now complained...out of those who heard when it actually went out ... 2 & they complained about the swearing & not the content. the other 29,998 have probably seen the clip on Youtube. If you go looking for something that will offend you then sure you will find it on the internet BUT IT WAS NOT ORIGINALLY TARGETED AT THEM.

By the way hundreds were killed by an earthquake yesterday but that seems to have gone unnoticed.

BTF I think I think Ican recall you being sensitive on here about an illness that a close member of your family sufered from was being laughed about. If you had those 2 idiots phone you up leaving messages about it i doubt you would be criticising the Mail for trying to get the fools punished.

As for the BBC isnt it interesting how they towed the line to the Labour party when the Licence review came up a couple of years back. The BBc is supposedly independent but there are subtle ways to control it.

And, if you re-read my post, you'll see that I said that what they did was in very poor taste. I still think that. I also think that Andrew Sachs has been very dignified in the way he's dealt with the whole matter and is to be admired for that.

I'm trying to make the wider, more prosaic point that is this. It is not right that the BBC reacts so vehemently to ANY pressure that is not representative of the views of majority, be that the Labour Party or the Daily Mail. The BBC should be (and, in the main, is) apolitical.

People have jumped on a bandwagon without thinking through the consequences. Censorship, in any form, is unhealthy. If all these complainants had actually listened to the programme and complained AT THE TIME, there'd be more justification for the BBC's reaction.

However, if they've only complained after watching the programme on the internet, then they shouldn't have watched it if they thought they were going to be offended.

But frenzies have been whipped and that's what's wrong.

By taking the p*ss out of the indefencable Spannish, Germans, the deaf etc etc :rolleyes:

So Frankie Boyles makes a joke about the Queens p*ssy being haunted (:D) on last night on Mock the week - will he be next for a public flogging ?

Nearly 30,000 have now complained...out of those who heard when it actually went out ... 2 & they complained about the swearing & not the content. the other 29,998 have probably seen the clip on Youtube. If you go looking for something that will offend you then sure you will find it on the internet BUT IT WAS NOT ORIGINALLY TARGETED AT THEM.

By the way hundreds were killed by an earthquake yesterday but that seems to have gone unnoticed.

Ah but if there were earthquakes in the UK ,Little England would complain about it,someone would probably get sacked as well.

My sympaties are with poor old Andrew Sachs and his granddaughter.

F*ck that. Yeah sympathies to Andrew Sachs, it was his answerphone that they left the message on, and yes it is his family they were talking about, but thats about where my sympathy stops Im afraid.

We are all forgetting, she DID sleep with him, so they are not making any false accusations, and the fact of the matter is, that if something bad happened to me, I would want it swept under the carpet asap and forgotten about.

I certainly would not sell the story to any newspaper willing to throw a few pennies my way! She is a 'dancer' who has tried her hand in 'glamour modelling'. IMO, she will do very well out of this and taking the humiliating call to her grandad out of the acquations, she has not lost out whatsoever.

I mean, if Brand just announced on air he slept with a little known person from Locksheath and said girl was trying to become famous by whapping her baps out, it would give her so much publicity, it would be the boost her career needed.

IMO, yes it may not have been planned, and yes, her grandad is probably hurting, but I would imagine she will go on from this and look back at it as the moment her 'career' kicked off.

I never doubted he did sleep with her but it was how they sent a message to her granddad

Probably be raised to the Legion of Honneur for it in France.

It's difficult for me to understand English mentality nowadays.

The French would just say the same as François Mitterand when his illegitimate(if such a thing exists in France) daughter Masrine came to light.

Asked on the 8 o'clock news about it, he simply said "So what".

The scandal lasted about 1 second.

Edited by Window Cleaner

According to its website the 23-year-old and her troupe are "four of the sexiest depraved London jezebels" who put on shows which include "blood, guts, gore, sexy striptease and slutty activity."

Writing on her own web page, Baillie, who goes under the stage name Voluptua, says: "I am a member of the Satanic Sluts Xtreme and perform violent, horrific and sexy burlesque shows around the UK and the rest of Europe with my dance and burlesque troupe. .. I like to party, I don't care if you call me a waster or even a groupie because I am having so much more fun than you and living this way makes me happy."

(Excerpt from the Guardian http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2008/oct/30/russell-brand-ross-baillie-sachs)

I understand that she heard about it first and then told her grandfather. According to his interview yesterday (and I'm paraphrasing) 'I give her advice but they don't listen do they'.

Do you suppose she heard the clip and thought either:

a) Oh sh*t my grandad's going to be livid with me for being so silly as to sleep with Russell Brand or

b) Yippee, a chance for me to get me and my 'baroque burlesque' dance troupe some free publicitiy?

Again, for the benefit especially of Nick, I'm not supporting or justifying the phone call. I'm trying to find a balanced view in amongst all the hype.

Afterthought

If the Daily Mail readers watched her dance troupe, do you suppose they would be more / less 'offended'?

According to its website the 23-year-old and her troupe are "four of the sexiest depraved London jezebels" who put on shows which include "blood, guts, gore, sexy striptease and slutty activity."

Writing on her own web page, Baillie, who goes under the stage name Voluptua, says: "I am a member of the Satanic Sluts Xtreme and perform violent, horrific and sexy burlesque shows around the UK and the rest of Europe with my dance and burlesque troupe. .. I like to party, I don't care if you call me a waster or even a groupie because I am having so much more fun than you and living this way makes me happy."

(Excerpt from the Guardian http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2008/oct/30/russell-brand-ross-baillie-sachs)

I understand that she heard about it first and then told her grandfather. According to his interview yesterday (and I'm paraphrasing) 'I give her advice but they don't listen do they'.

Do you suppose she heard the clip and thought either:

a) Oh sh*t my grandad's going to be livid with me for being so silly as to sleep with Russell Brand or

b) Yippee, a chance for me to get me and my 'baroque burlesque' dance troupe some free publicitiy?

Again, for the benefit especially of Nick, I'm not supporting or justifying the phone call. I'm trying to find a balanced view in amongst all the hype.

Afterthought

If the Daily Mail readers watched her dance troupe, do you suppose they would be more / less 'offended'?

I dont get newspapers but your generalisation of Daily Mail readers is wrong. Only a percentage of them complained and no doubt there were people who found phoning the granddad offensive as well, even the luvvie Guardian readers may have felt uneasy.

There was 1 innocent victim in all this and that is who the majority of people would feel for. The 2 presenters and the girl deserve each other.

I dont get newspapers but your generalisation of Daily Mail readers is wrong. Only a percentage of them complained and no doubt there were people who found phoning the granddad offensive as well, even the luvvie Guardian readers may have felt uneasy.

There was 1 innocent victim in all this and that is who the majority of people would feel for. The 2 presenters and the girl deserve each other.

Yeah well I'm a luvvie Guardian reader too and I thought it was wrong. Nick I've said this - what - 5 times on this thread already!

Are you not able to understand the higher point I'm trying to make?

A Bridge Too Far really does need to get over their hatred towards the Daily Mail. I may not agree with the majority of points it raises but it's just a newspaper.

I don't HATE the Daily Mail - that's ferkin' stupid, to hate an inanimate object.

I read it from time to time, so that I can balance the reporting in the Guardian and it's a shame others don't do something similar. Its views often offend me, but I don't complain because I know what to expect.

I'm all for newspaper campaigns for good causes and concerns. But the Mail has a history of BBC bashing and it's using this as an excuse to bash Auntie again.

No doubt the Mail's allies, commercial broadcasters, will see this as an opportunity to snap up Brand and Ross - will the Mail still complain then I wonder.

We do, Ponty, and he was posting at about 9am this morning, so I guess he's alright.

Cabbage - it was on 5 Live this morning so I then watched BBC Breakfast. You're right - not a mensh :rolleyes:

Ok on the pointless radio stations that no one listens too.

It seems to be the headline or second main story on every bloody thing i see/hear.

I would love this exposure if i was a comedian...

We do, Ponty, and he was posting at about 9am this morning, so I guess he's alright.

Cabbage - it was on 5 Live this morning so I then watched BBC Breakfast. You're right - not a mensh :rolleyes:

It was mentioned on Sky News, BBC News channel (or whatever they want to call it this week). Dont forget that BBC Breakfast ISNT a new programme, its a morning current affairs and light entertainment programme...:rolleyes:

It was mentioned on Sky News, BBC News channel (or whatever they want to call it this week). Dont forget that BBC Breakfast ISNT a new programme, its a morning current affairs and light entertainment programme...:rolleyes:

Oh! My bad Pancake :D

It's just that when they say 'and now the news headlines' I somehow expect them to tell me about serious flooding in Devon rather than pointless crap about two idiots and 28,998 other idiots.

Yeah well I'm a luvvie Guardian reader too and I thought it was wrong. Nick I've said this - what - 5 times on this thread already!

Are you not able to understand the higher point I'm trying to make?

I do understand and you put it beautifully but I would like to point out your bias does show through even though you really do try and be balanced.

The Daily Mail seems to be a pet hate of yours, I dont read any of the papers anymore as they only get you down. If its not spongers its government waste, or other nonsense to wind people up.

It would be best if I read the Guardian so I could see the adverts for jobs and how my taxes are being used to employ people in mad jobs on high wages.

..........steady Im only teasing you BTF although

Yikes things must be bad on the main forum when nickh & Window Cleaner spend so much time on TMS.

Again, for you "little englanders" the outside world looks at this nonsense in much the same way as fat chicks sh*gging on the beach and just sees a nation becoming a sad cariacature of what was at least once a laughing stock...

The only question I really have in this whole thing is that Ross was never an offensive c*ck when he started on TV and the radio, and when you watch his show for the first time nowadays the whole "look at me I'm 'ard 'cos I say offensive things" attitude in his show is just contrived. he almost seems embarrassed to be doing it, let alone having to listen to it.

Still luckily because it is pants we don't have to watch it on BBC World

Yikes things must be bad on the main forum when nickh & Window Cleaner spend so much time on TMS.

Again, for you "little englanders" the outside world looks at this nonsense in much the same way as fat chicks sh*gging on the beach and just sees a nation becoming a sad cariacature of what was at least once a laughing stock...

The only question I really have in this whole thing is that Ross was never an offensive c*ck when he started on TV and the radio, and when you watch his show for the first time nowadays the whole "look at me I'm 'ard 'cos I say offensive things" attitude in his show is just contrived. he almost seems embarrassed to be doing it, let alone having to listen to it.

Still luckily because it is pants we don't have to watch it on BBC World

You didn't mention Dubai =/

The main forum has become an anti-lowe (and Wilde) gabfest from Monday's to Fridays with a brief interlude if there's a match on Tuesday.

TSW is my only contact with the UK at the moment and I just have to slide off the main forum from time to time to cool off;If I don't ,I 'm really going to lay into one (or more) of those a/hs one day soon and they won't like what they get. I'll get banned though ,which is why I haven't done it yet.