Brand and Woss have Sachs...on the phone.

saint lard

I didn't listen, as I'm simply not interested, but I can gauge pretty accurately the sort of stuff Brand and Ross would do [which incidentally is why I wouldn't be interested]. The problem isn't the material in itself. It's the context in which it is done. The blokes themselves are moderately talented comedic style presenters. I've been known to laugh with both of them, but I've also been left switching off the TV or radio. The fact is, they broadcast material which they might have considered might have been offnesive to the people they were directing it at. Their own internal moral conscienses, should have brought them up short. Hang on... this isn't going to be right. We shouldn't be about to doing this. This could seriously offend someone and a family...

And that's the point isn't it..? WE all have a our own moral compass. It informs us of what is right and what is wrong. There is a point we do not go beyond. And when it comes to hurting other people mentally and physically, we could all say... would I willingly want this to happen to me..? And if the answer is in anyway shape or form, NO, then perhaps we shouldn't do what we're about to do.

Both Brand and Ross [and all these comedic presenters, yes, you too Graham Norton] need to do a bit of a rethink of how they respect and treat the people around them. They are exhibiting a convenient disregard for other people for the purposes of entertainment. It's practically a form of bullying, and while there will be people who wonder what the hell others are complaining about, they need to think the repercussions through. Sadly, this complete disregard is very prevalent in today's society, in all walks of life. Brand and Ross are just the TV/Radio face of it.

Good post. Agree with that.

Sadly the way things are going we're all be de-generates soon and it'll be the norm.

and in other news thousands dead in Earthquake in pakistan.......

You don't quite get the significance of why people are so offended, do you CF..?

This is actually quite an important point for society. Do we allow powerful people to walk all over other weaker individuals, in the name of entertainment..? Or do we have a code of respect for all..? This incident could be considered a crossroad.

I agree, there are more important things to contemplate, but this isn't anything like as unimportant as you seem to believe it to be.

You don't quite get the significance of why people are so offended, do you CF..?

This is actually quite an important point for society. Do we allow powerful people to walk all over other weaker individuals, in the name of entertainment..? Or do we have a code of respect for all..? This incident could be considered a crossroad.

I agree, there are more important things to contemplate, but this isn't anything like as unimportant as you seem to believe it to be.

It is umimportant and pointless, sach is a idiot for being offended by something that is true, and they are both idiots for thinking it is funny.

There are far more important things in the world to worry about than them, sacking them will only push them into the media limelight more and they will get paid more by Sky, ITV or Channel 4.

i couldnt careless about the social implications, which it doesnt have.

Should Fonejacker be taken of air then?

It is ridiculous, nobody was killed, nobody even hurts, so they phoned some old bloke who is barely famous and pretended one of them had slept with his hoe of a grand-daughter.

Big whoop. Who really cares? As CF says, sack them and they will re-appear elsewhere, they dont really care. Never gonna be poor are they.

It's P.C gone mad. Totally ridiculous. The world needs to lighten the hell up

It is ridiculous, nobody was killed, nobody even hurts, so they phoned some old bloke who is barely famous and pretended one of them had slept with his hoe of a grand-daughter.

Big whoop. Who really cares? As CF says, sack them and they will re-appear elsewhere, they dont really care. Never gonna be poor are they.

Exactly.

How many actually complained at the time ? 2 for f**k sake !

How many complained after reading the Daily Mail ?

Exactly.

How many actually complained at the time ? 2 for f**k sake !

How many complained after reading the Daily Mail ?

I was thinking, all these people who have complained since the program was aired have only heard the clip due to the fact it was in the press/TV.

So surely these complaints should be bought against the media outlets that have since replayed the clip, not the original perpetrators.

Well put. What a stupid over reaction.

It's certainly not PC gone mad. Do you like it when you get crank calls on the phone?

It's true they will never be poor but without the BBC their exposure is severely curtailed.

The BBC will end up sacking them and producers to protect its reputation. It has little choice. Doesn't mean they won't be back on the BBC in the future.

Brand actually did sleep with her, it was not made up.

And Sach's is a fairly prominent character in one of the biggest English comedy programs of all time.

However, I agree with what you have said.

Its all been blown out of proportion in a witch hunt esk way.

Still, if the granddaughter wants some consolation, she has, at least, got some free publicity for her 'baroque dance group' :rolleyes:

Slight side step, but she is easily found on Facebook. Infact, there is only about 3 Georgina Baillie's. It looked like a 'google image' search shot of her so I thought it was a profile someone had set up, but looking at her friends (293 of them) she has a few famousish people so I think its actually her.

(Yes I was bored)

It cant be nice for a 78 year old to have a couple of people phone up and jibe him that they had sha### his granddaughter. He is the innocent , she will go on and make lots of money and they will have another thing to laugh about. I would like someone to ring Ross and leave a lewd comment about sh####g his wife and he wouldnt have such a grin.

Yes it has been blown out of proprtion and Max Clifford is in the background, what a surprise.

Ironically, we (self included) are all adding to the massive over-exposure that this incident does not merit.

In the main, this thread appears is a debate on the rights or wrongs and moral obligations of high profile entertainers, and whatever our own views on them, they ARE entertainers. Entertainment could not be more subjective, that is fact.

It is quite distasteful though in my opinion, for some people to show such hypocrisy, would any of us honestly say that we would find such messages humourous if they were concerning our nearest and dearest. Like the clown who started this group on facebook:

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=33726445661

Should we all leave some personal messages for him to test his theory of the over zealous reaction? Would he like it? I think not.

A woman scorned :D

I understand if people have been offended, especially Andrew Sachs who is an old sweetie.

But 18000 complaints? 18000 people listened to the show? I think not! Just a knee jerk reaction to what was published in the Mail. No independent thought on the part of its readership.

That's the obscene part of this sorry story IMO

I understand if people have been offended, especially Andrew Sachs who is an old sweetie.

But 18000 complaints? 18000 people listened to the show? I think not! Just a knee jerk reaction to what was published in the Mail. No independent thought on the part of its readership.

do you have to listen to the show to make a complaint??

can you not make a complaint if and when you see it?

do you have to listen to the show to make a complaint??

can you not make a complaint if and when you see it?

But surely if you know in advance that you're going to be insulted (because you've been told it's offensive) why listen to it in the first place FFS :rolleyes:

Don't get me wrong - I'm no advocate for either of them. I just wish people would think for themselves sometimes instead of being led by the nose or any other protrusion.

Guest Dark Sotonic Mills

Well over 18,000 people listen to his show according to the ratings. However, I would put a lot of money on the fact that virtually all of the complaints were from people who did not listen to it.

IMO, the phone call was childish and pathetic which I would have expected from Brand but somehow not from Ross.

As much of the blame lies at the feet of the production team who allowed a pre-recorded sequence to go out on air.

I didn't listen, as I'm simply not interested, but I can gauge pretty accurately the sort of stuff Brand and Ross would do [which incidentally is why I wouldn't be interested]. The problem isn't the material in itself. It's the context in which it is done. The blokes themselves are moderately talented comedic style presenters. I've been known to laugh with both of them, but I've also been left switching off the TV or radio. The fact is, they broadcast material which they might have considered might have been offnesive to the people they were directing it at. Their own internal moral conscienses, should have brought them up short. Hang on... this isn't going to be right. We shouldn't be about to doing this. This could seriously offend someone and a family...

And that's the point isn't it..? WE all have a our own moral compass. It informs us of what is right and what is wrong. There is a point we do not go beyond. And when it comes to hurting other people mentally and physically, we could all say... would I willingly want this to happen to me..? And if the answer is in anyway shape or form, NO, then perhaps we shouldn't do what we're about to do.

Both Brand and Ross [and all these comedic presenters, yes, you too Graham Norton] need to do a bit of a rethink of how they respect and treat the people around them. They are exhibiting a convenient disregard for other people for the purposes of entertainment. It's practically a form of bullying, and while there will be people who wonder what the hell others are complaining about, they need to think the repercussions through. Sadly, this complete disregard is very prevalent in today's society, in all walks of life. Brand and Ross are just the TV/Radio face of it.

That saved me reading your opinion about it then ;)

Have to agree with this, 99.9% of complaints were made after the media exposure. Funny how people have to be "urged" to complain.

But surely if you know in advance that you're going to be insulted (because you've been told it's offensive) why listen to it in the first place FFS :rolleyes:

Don't get me wrong - I'm no advocate for either of them. I just wish people would think for themselves sometimes instead of being led by the nose or any other protrusion.

I suppose the funny thing is... is that I don't find the comments overtly offensive. I have heard it now, and the comments are just juvenile and pathetic. What troubles me is that anyone should find the comments amusing. It's the verbal equivalent of knocking someone's front door and running away. Hilarious if you're a kid and playing the joke. But not funny at all if you're the frustrated person having to deal with the hassle. Why does comedy have to be so directly cruel to the person nowadays..? Years ago it was cruel to the stereotype. Now it's aimed at the individual to get under the barrier. It's not right, and the reason it's not right is because it wouldn't be funny if Ross or Brand were called on their answer machines and had lewd comments left and broadcast. And btw, something doesn't escape being wrong because lots of people don't hear about it. And if you still don't think it's wrong, just think of the worst thing that someone could invent about you down your phone, and simultaneously broadcast it to your faimily and friends. Unimportant now..?

Sensibly, both Ross and Brand have realised that their comments were stupid and potentially offensive. I'm hopeful that they realised their fault before they counted up the money they'll lose in the process, and the potential blow to their careers. My sympaties are with poor old Andrew Sachs and his granddaughter.

I think Sachs contributed more to the world of comedy in 12 episodes of Fawlty Towers than either of those two boring, attention seeking, unfunny, overpaid tw*ts have in their careers.

I never get why people find Brand in particular funny. He's like p*ssed up rebel wannabe at a high school party, who doesn't realise people aren't laughing at his jokes, but at how much of a mong he is.

My sympaties are with poor old Andrew Sachs and his granddaughter.

I didn't realise Brand and Ross had killed them! Jesus, my sympathies are with Sachs, his grand daughter and ALL the family. I cannot believe they have just been suspended for this. It's becaus they're famous. If anyone else had murdered two people (one of them was 78 you know) they would have been arrested and thrown in jail.

Also, poor people did die of cholera because they were the ones near the poorest water supply. Take a look at the figures for 19th century industrial Britain.

My sympaties are with poor old Andrew Sachs and his granddaughter.

I didn't realise Brand and Ross had killed them! Jesus, my sympathies are with Sachs, his grand daughter and ALL the family. I cannot believe they have just been suspended for this. It's becaus they're famous. If anyone else had murdered two people (one of them was 78 you know) they would have been arrested and thrown in jail.

Also, poor people did die of cholera because they were the ones near the poorest water supply. Take a look at the figures for 19th century industrial Britain.

OK the stuffed oldies have won!

How many more campaigns will the lunatic right (Daily Mail) start? How dare a newspaper drive the decisions of the BBC - the same BBC that belongs to ALL of us.

I don't like Ross, I don't really understand Brand (because I'm an oldie) and I think what they did was in very poor taste, but I shudder at the influence of a rag like the Mail.

OK the stuffed oldies have won!

How many more campaigns will the lunatic right (Daily Mail) start? How dare a newspaper drive the decisions of the BBC - the same BBC that belongs to ALL of us.

I don't like Ross, I don't really understand Brand (because I'm an oldie) and I think what they did was in very poor taste, but I shudder at the influence of a rag like the Mail.

It is umimportant and pointless, sach is a idiot for being offended by something that is true, and they are both idiots for thinking it is funny.

There are far more important things in the world to worry about than them, sacking them will only push them into the media limelight more and they will get paid more by Sky, ITV or Channel 4.

i couldnt careless about the social implications, which it doesnt have.

Should Fonejacker be taken of air then?

So, if you or someone close to you was suffering from some horrible, possibly fatal disease, and someone else made fun of you, then that would be O.K. would it? Because its true? Or would that be different?

My argument on this is that these two, who I normally have no major problem with, acted like a couple of out of control, priviledged public school boys on nightclub crawl. They thought that they couldn`t be touched and can do whatever they want. It certainly wasn`t comedy, it was a form of bullying against an elderly grandfather with no thought whatsoever for his feelings.

i couldnt careless about the social implications.... Sadly this one statement says a lot about peoples general attitude in society today. "I couldn`t care less"