The Police compensationj culture continues

Viking Warrior

This was mentioned last night on This week on BBC

Just watch the over zealous cops in action in the video, total arsoles

https://www.google.co.uk/#q=policemans+%C2%A3400000+compensation&tbm=nws

This copper got £429 k

PC Baillon was one of two police officers chasing disabled pensioner Robert Whatley as he drove along country roads without a seat belt near Usk, South Wales.

Elderly stroke victim Mr Whatley (74 Year old was pulled over in his black Range Rover – and expected the officers to gently knock on his window.

But instead PC Baillon attacked his window with a baton 15 times while his colleague climbed onto the bonnet and kicked in the windscreen of the £60,000 car.

The two officers were later cleared of misconduct after an internal investigation but PC Baillon was later removed from front line duties.

Sorry but these two coppers should have been disciplined , yet another cover up by the police

A police officer branded a "laughing stock" for using a truncheon to smash a pensioner's car window was awarded more than £400,000 compensation from his former force on Wednesday.

Pc Mike Baillon, 42 claimed he was forced out of his job due to a “bullying campaign” by colleagues in Gwent Police, who teased him and wrote comments on his locker at the police station after a YouTube video appeared of him battering the Range Rover of a 74-year-old driver.

This not an isolated incident,

Elderly stroke victim Mr Whatley (74 Year old was pulled over in his black Range Rover – and expected the officers to gently knock on his window.

But instead PC Baillon attacked his window with a baton 15 times while his colleague climbed onto the bonnet and kicked in the windscreen of the £60,000 car.

What that fails to mention is that they pulled him over about him not wearing his seat belt, and as they started issuing him a ticket he drove off. They then proceeded to chase him for about 25 minutes, with lights and sirens going, before he eventually pulled over again. His explanation that he 'thought they were finished with him' rings a bit hollow. But then why let the facts get in the way of a good story.

The officer was paid the money for future earnings and pension and rightly so.

The officer was cleared of any fault and carried out the appropriate actions considering the events of the incident. HE was bullied at work and given no support at all from his senior officers who appoligised to the driver of the car in the chase. He was then removed from his diving duties and eventually forced to leave the police.

The money was for his superior officers failing in their duties to support an employee.

As stu says the press miss out the key info to make a good story and provoke public outrage.

N

The officer was cleared of any fault and carried out the appropriate actions considering the events of the incident. HE was bullied at work and given no support at all from his senior officers who appoligised to the driver of the car in the chase. He was then removed from his diving duties and eventually forced to leave the police.

The money was for his superior officers failing in their duties to support an employee.

As stu says the press miss out the key info to make a good story and provoke public outrage.

N

yeah i for one am v.sad that there is one less valiant copper on the streets protecting us from 74yo pensioners driving without seatbelt

And a 74 year old disabled stroke victim at that.

I love it when coppers get together to support their colleagues in cases like this etc. of course there willl be those on this thread who think Keith wallis is innocent

In the video their was excessive violence by the police trying to get the 74 year out of the vehicle

Oh an the one didnt look like someone who would suffer ridicule from his colleagues the way he unleashed the baton into the window and on to the driver once the window was broken

Sorry yes police get seriously injured and should be looked after but not cases like this

Injured soldiers from afghan get nowhere near that amount and they have lost limbs etc.

So excuse me I have no time for that that thug Ballion . he was just that a thug,

The violence was totally unacceptable. > I wonder how many drunks he beat up on a friday /saturday night.

Police tend to aggravate the situation not calm it down,

Edited by Viking Warrior

I love it when coppers get together to support their colleagues in cases like this etc. of course there willl be those on this thread who think Keith wallis is innocent

In the video their was excessive violence by the police trying to get the 74 year out of the vehicle

Oh an the one didnt look like someone who would suffer ridicule from his colleagues the way he unleashed the baton into the window and on to the driver once the window was broken

Sorry yes police get seriously injured and should be looked after but not cases like this

Injured soldiers from afghan get nowhere near that amount and they have lost limbs etc.

So excuse me I have no time for that that thug Ballion . he was just that a thug,

The violence was totally unacceptable. > I wonder how many drunks he beat up on a friday /saturday night.

I am not a fan of the police but he was cleared of any wrong doing regarding his actions when stopping the driver. Your point on violence and aggression are not valid.

The money was for his superior officers failing in their duties to support an employee. This was the basis for the award.

All other miss reported points are invalid.

So are you saying that a copper trying to kick the window screen in and a copper launching blows on the drivers side is acceptable .

In my opinion my point is valid .

They might have been cleared but it was an internal investigation .

Look at hillisborough , plebgate . They were also cleared of wrong doing

So cryoman your are condoning the amount of violence used

What about the other case of the trumped up drunken driver case in the tracking case . Police were cleared of any wrong doing in that as well .

As for compensation the amount bolland got does not fit the injuries he recieved

N

He was paid for future earnings? Or lost earnings?

Edited by Barry Sanchez

I am not a fan of the police but he was cleared of any wrong doing regarding his actions when stopping the driver. Your point on violence and aggression are not valid.

The money was for his superior officers failing in their duties to support an employee. This was the basis for the award.

All other miss reported points are invalid.

Its a question of pubic opinion not the courts, do you think his use of force was excessive? I do? Obviously so did his colleagues.

N

So if it was proven that he was bullied at work surely the plod responsible for the bullying should be sacked without receiving any compensation?

It's not violence, to call it that is actually quite disrespectful to those who suffer 'real' violence in assaults/attacks etc. The officers clearly felt they had to stop the vehicle. They have a power, in law, to use force like that shown. The 'true' facts are hardly ever reported, they don't make great reading. What looks a better headline? A driver who failed to stop for police has his window smashed or police smashing the window of a 74 year old stroke victim?

Keith Wallis is not innocent. There are police officers out there who bring shame to their job. However there are lots of people out there that bring shame to their job. Should police officers be more responsible because of what they do? Yes. Are they human? Yes. Will there always be a minority which aim to take advantage of their position? Sadly, Yes. The whole police bashing thing, I just don't get. The way the country is going, you'll probably need them one day.

The officer in question stated on 5Live on Friday that he smashed the window and then proceeded to remove the rest of the glass with his baton so that when he leaned in to grab the keys he wouldn't be cut if the driver tried to drive off AGAIN.

The age of the driver is irrelevant, he had already driven off from a Police stop and had driven for 25 mins. whilst being chased by Police vehicles with their blues & twos on, if he thought they had finished dealing with him why didn't he pull over to let them past? Obstructing a Police vehicle must be an offence, and if he didn't notice them maybe it's time to stop driving. The real 'crime' is the fact the driver got any compensation.

Some people will always have it in for the Police for whatever personal reason they think justifies it in their head, fact is 99% of coppers do a good job and a job 99% of the public don't want to do.

It's an offence under s.163 RTA to stop when requested by the OB in uniform.

What they also failed to mention in the newspaper article was that the old fart ran a cyclist off the road, undertook another car nearly forcing it into the path of an oncoming car and cut up other motorists at a junction.

Swannymere I take your point .

However yes I have my gripe with the police and rightly so as a law abiding citizen . There are arrogant aggressive police out there who seem to do as they please . My view of them will never change after the way I was wrongly stopped , aggressively man handled during a search at Aberdeen airport in recent times when I was accused of smoking in the toilets there .

While in the case of the motorist above . He did stop his vehicle . So there was no need to continue to smash the window .

I don't buy the issue he only continued to smash the window so he didn't cut himself . That's an easy explanation . I'm sure the police use that as a justified excuse .

If it is standard practice why would his colleagues ridicule him? And also the big copper move him out of the way to open the door . Sorry I think the copper saw the red mist in his actions

I must admit while I'm aware he was initially stop and the drove off again I did not know about the cyclist

Remember it was a police video that was released the one the poor bullied copper was in . Poor poor lad

Oh Swannymere and Waggy what about the Salford case and the actions by the police on the driver who was charged with a trumped up drinking charge . So you can now be done for drinking tea .

I'm sure there is a rational explanation . Blood tests were accidentally mixed up .

Oh I'm not some thug , anarchist or criminal I'm a law abiding every day citizen .

Some several years ago I went to the help of a young woman who was being harassed and about to be mugged by four youths in reading in the road just yards from her house on a Sunday afternoon. I intervened got beat up for it and was taken to the Royal Berkshire hospital

The reading police didn't peruse the assault charges with the thugs let alone the assault charge with the woman .

The reason was I had brought the assault on my self by going to the defence of this woman

So please don't patronise me by saying people have it in for the police .

I have just reasons for having little respect for the police

Hatch it probably includes projected pension .

I would have thought he received PILON 12 weeks is the norm outstanding holiday pay . His monthly pension x £ projected for the next 50 years and possibly some form of compensation payment .

Highly unlikely it was a lump sum . There maybe one off augmented costs if he was not retired on ill health grounds .

I think he has paid in 11% of his wage each month...towards his pension...HIS pension.

IF he had retired at his 30 years...he would be allowed to take a lump sum and then receive a monthly pension after tax.

Not quite sure what happens when he goes on early retirement...ill health or whatever??

But it is..... HIS pension...and he has PAID for it........Like when plod goes to HMP etc...it is still that individuals money......and when peeps cry...take his pension...it is HIS.

The officer in question stated on 5Live on Friday that he smashed the window and then proceeded to remove the rest of the glass with his baton so that when he leaned in to grab the keys he wouldn't be cut if the driver tried to drive off AGAIN.

The age of the driver is irrelevant, he had already driven off from a Police stop and had driven for 25 mins. whilst being chased by Police vehicles with their blues & twos on, if he thought they had finished dealing with him why didn't he pull over to let them past? Obstructing a Police vehicle must be an offence, and if he didn't notice them maybe it's time to stop driving. The real 'crime' is the fact the driver got any compensation.

Some people will always have it in for the Police for whatever personal reason they think justifies it in their head, fact is 99% of coppers do a good job and a job 99% of the public don't want to do.

I also listened to the policeman putting over his side of the story on BBC Radio

He seemed to be a very decent chap who was let down by some of his colleagues (including one who thought it appropriate to post a derogatory note about the loss of his wife's still born child) and especially his superiors.

The guy was trying to do his duty in difficult circumstances and has had to leave a job he loved.

The pay off seems a lot but, as has been said in previous posts, does not fully compensate him for loss of earnings over his expected service period

It would be foolish to say that our police are all paragons of virtue, they are not.

However it is a difficult job with a lot more risks and checks and balances than in the past and we should be grateful that our police force, in general, is far better than most countries around the world

I have just seen it was an employment tribunal that awarded the following

The tribunal awarded him damages of £429,434.64 for loss of pension had he stayed in the force until the end of his career, as well as a further sum of around £10,000 for loss of earnings since leaving the force..

In that case it wasn't an ill health retirement so the police may either pay him a monthly payment or pay it all up front . I think there is a lot more to this whole story that has not been released in the public domain . I get the impression that there were other reasons his colleagues forced him out and the incident re the 74 year old was the straw that broke the camels back

What's your problem with the police Viking, they do a bloody tough job and do it well. Yes, there maybe a few rotten apples, but less than in most jobs. I dont get this country sometimes, we honour and respect the army, god help anyone who dares to slag off a nurse, doctor or teacher, yet the police are fair game for all sorts of weird and wonderful nonsense.

I would rather have our police forces than many countries in the world but some policeman are not good role models . A bit like some of the rogue stewards you get at football matches .

Hear hear. I can confirm from personal experience that the barrel of an AK47 does not fit up either of my nostrils.

Lord duckhunter I explained what my problem is with some police from my own experiences .

Yes they are easy prey from certain groups as are the armed forces, nurses etc . Just look at the Staffordshire

The police apologised to me for the rough handling of me and another passenger at Aberdeen airport having been accused of smoking in the gents toilets . It was a mute apology as they said they were only doing their job and that they class smoking as a serious offence in side airports . It was that serious 4 police bods including an inspector and sgt plus 2 airport security .

I have never smoked and never will .

And then when I went to the aide of a female being assaulted . I'm told that it was my own fault for getting beat up by the 4 thugs for doing what I think any law abiding citizen would do . But not according to Thames valley police .

I feel you pain viking! I remember when i was 10 years old i was walking along the high street minding my own business, and as i walked past the green man crossing they went off and turned beep-beep even tho there was no-one crossing. This police car then screamed up on me with sirens blaring and copper got out and accused me of pressing the button! I denied this immediately, cos i never, and then the copper said that he had witnessed me pressing the the button! This was lies cos i never! I still burn with the indignation even now!

i lost a lot of respect for coppers that day. That they would blatantly lie like that just to boost their conviction figures. I reckon there are some jobs like copper and post office and internet forum moderator that people just do cos they like to bully people.

Lord duckhunter I explained what my problem is with some police from my own experiences .

Yes they are easy prey from certain groups as are the armed forces, nurses etc . Just look at the Staffordshire

The police apologised to me for the rough handling of me and another passenger at Aberdeen airport having been accused of smoking in the gents toilets . It was a mute apology as they said they were only doing their job and that they class smoking as a serious offence in side airports . It was that serious 4 police bods including an inspector and sgt plus 2 airport security .

And then when I went to the aide of a female being assaulted . I'm told that it was my own fault for getting beat up by the 4 thugs for doing what I think any law abiding citizen would do . But not according to Thames valley police .

Agree with your pain Viking Warrior..........I too have met those 7/8 naughty Police Officers and did not like them..

I have met many of the other 150,000 coppers around the UK and personally gave them much praise:p

Then again I love all the female coppers anyway...they are verty gentle.......Except the WPCs who play rugby for England and smash Scotland:D

Those particular WPCs can be very rough at times..

The good the bad and the ugly springs to mind...

When I was in the Services I met and operated with many a good soldier...like you Warrior:p

But I met hundreds who were absolutely shiiiiite:rolleyes:

Swings and roundabouts..:smug:

Whenever I get stopped I always give your name:lol:

I am all up for adopt a rozzer day............as long as I get a good lucking lady for the day with a furry lined set of handcuffs.:blush:

They apologised and said they were only doing their job, perfectly reasonable IMO. What more did you want, a meeting with the head honcho ala Plebgate?

I expect being a copper is a hard job but that is no excuse for doing a bad job, and from my experiences there are plenty who are not up to scratch.

IMO the problem, as ever, is lack of funding and resources. If someone feels overworked, underpaid or under-resourced they are not going to perform at their best. Also if the whole force is under pressure the plod are bound to stick together and cover up any failings.

Some of the police do a great job but when some MET ***t pushes you for no reason saying "I f*cking hate football fans", it's hard to have any respect at all.

Lord duckhunter

It wasnt exactly an apology as, just an explanation as why they caried out such a physical search. At least they acknowledged that they carried out the search unlike so,e situtuations plebgate when at least one of the policmen blantently lied .

As for meeting the head honcho , no thanks but 4 policeman and 2 airport staff needed to check if someone was smoking in an airport, To me that was overkill

I was very very annoyed a the time as I had only just arrived from heathrow and went straight to the loo to do a puncheon.

Next few seconds I am in the process of undoing my pants and then a massive knock on the door. I thought it must have been puncheon desparate for the loo . but know the police send open the door open it now.

There i was trying desparatly trying to get my pants up. talk about getting caught with yer trousers down .

I was more annoyed about the lack of dignity i was given .

Tossers

:D It was just ur description of the extended process of undoing ur pants that sparked my interest! I was envisaging some kind of suspenders situation, which would explain ur embarrassment when po-po started peeping over toilet door. Prob just as well it didn't make it to court!

Lord duckhunter

It wasnt exactly an apology as, just an explanation as why they caried out such a physical search. At least they acknowledged that they carried out the search unlike so,e situtuations plebgate when at least one of the policmen blantently lied .

As for meeting the head honcho , no thanks but 4 policeman and 2 airport staff needed to check if someone was smoking in an airport, To me that was overkill

I was very very annoyed a the time as I had only just arrived from heathrow and went straight to the loo to do a puncheon.

Next few seconds I am in the process of undoing my pants and then a massive knock on the door. I thought it must have been puncheon desparate for the loo . but know the police send open the door open it now.

There i was trying desparatly trying to get my pants up. talk about getting caught with yer trousers down .

I was more annoyed about the lack of dignity i was given .

Tossers

Oh come on, you must be able to see the funny side. I certainly can lol.

Btw, it is pretty irresponsible to be smoking in airport toilets in this day and age. Any sign of smoke, or smoke alarms could cause a panic. Perhaps you should get one of those electric ones.

They have silent smoke alarms that activate else where .

I give up with you mr Duck . Just to reiterate I don't F****** smoke .

I hope the police wrongly stop you and rough you up then you will see the funny side

So now you are saying the police "roughed you up"

If so why have you not complained to the ICCP ?

By the way all toilets in all airports in the UK are covered by CCTV cameras so this can all be easily verified as to who is telling the truth.

They have silent smoke alarms that activate else where .

I give up with you mr Duck . Just to reiterate I don't F****** smoke .

I hope the police wrongly stop you and rough you up then you will see the funny side

If I was smoking in airport toilets and got roughed up slightly it would be my own fault. The police have better things to do than investigate somebody having a crafty fag. You're lucky you didn't get a wasting police time charge.

They are my words for being roughed up . its was a very physical search and the first time I had ever been searched , they took every thing out of my hand luggage and shoved it on the floor . I will know what to expect next time.

The same happened to the other middle aged guy as well. He also commented about the aggresive nature of the search

I thought they were looking for something else and was suprised when they said they thought one of us had been smoking

Thats life, I was in the wrong place at the wrong time .

Good to see policeman keeping the streets and airports safe from would be smokers:p

Viking Warrior

Glad to hear you gave up smoking just before the Police got to you.......you could have been in real trouble:)

Know your rights...next time...insist that you be searched by a female Officer back at the station.;)

Make sure it is a non rugby playing female officer.:D

Now whatever happens...stay off the ciggies and send The Old Bill a xmas card every year.:lol:

So now you are saying the police "roughed you up"

If so why have you not complained to the ICCP ?

By the way all toilets in all airports in the UK are covered by CCTV cameras so this can all be easily verified as to who is telling the truth.

Video only, or do they also have audio to pick up stray farts?

I think the police do a terrible job.

But for any sort of motoring offence they are probably the best in the world.

They have largely forgotten how to walk, and just seem to ponce around in their cars to me.

I don't think the taxpayer gets value for money from them.

Well they have announced today that there's another 500 going due to the latest cuts, so don't expect to see an improvement on seeing them walking ever again!

Thank goodness the police are targetting hardened criminals in the highland and islands. .

Murderers and physical assualt perpetrators can rest easy for a few weeks

Inspector Neil Lumsden, head of divisional road policing unit in Highland and Islands Division, said: ”The seatbelt is the number one safety device within vehicles and it’s an offence not to wear it.

He added: “

‘‘Don’t risk it – because if you do we will be looking for you and you will not be able to justify your action to officers when you are stopped.”

Meanwhile in Orkney the police are asking witnesses if they saw a pedestrian struck by a blue van as they dont have a clue what happened