New TV deal

whelk

I heard this on the radio earlier I think they said BT and Sky are paying less than they did last time for the TV rights?

Yeah, not as much money has been thrown at these latest rights. After the last record breaking set I think it was always going to reduce a little bit.

Rumour has it that some of the unallocated pots (the midweeks etc) may be a share between BT and Amazon.

Interesting comment on the FT site highlighting the overlooked importance of international broadcasting income:

Domestic income seems to have peaked and it won't grow much until newcomers join the bidding just like 2007 and 2013. But the growth in international income is staggering, The Chinese broadcaster is paying 14 times more than 2016-2019 to show 2019-2022 games!!! African broadcaster is paying double what it paid before...For 2016 to 2019 PL is making £1bn a year from overseas TV tights, but it's almost doubled for 2019-22... Competitiveness is the key here, so long as Big clubs don't take disproportionate cut of the money like Spain, the league will stay attractive because there's no easy match.

Edited by shurlock

Saturday evenings - 7.45 kick off.......... ridiculous

Disagree and don’t know why everyone gets precious about Friday and Sat night games. All of Europe does it.

Ok ball ache for some away fans but that is a insignificant minority.