So Who's in and Who's out for QPR?

Arizona

Based on today's viewing, what would you change about the side.

For me James and White just aren't ready yet. I'd also be tempted to play Thomas ahead of Killer as he looked off the ball a bit today, against an admittedly physical Burgess. Schneiderlin and Gillett weren't at the races either, but on previous reports, I'd give them the benefit of the doubt. Also we lacked bite up front so I've gone for someone different behind DMG, who I'm sure you'll all laugh at.

I'd go with something like:

- - - - - - - Davis - - - - - - -

Cork - Thomas - Perry - Surman

- - - Scheiderlin - Gillett - - - -

- Lallana - - Skacel - - Holmes -

- - - - - - McGoldrick - - - - - -

For me James and White just aren't ready yet. I'd also be tempted to play Thomas ahead of Killer as he looked off the ball a bit today, against an admittedly physical Burgess. Schneiderlin and Gillett weren't at the races either, but on previous reports, I'd give them the benefit of the doubt. Also we lacked bite up front so I've gone for someone different behind DMG, who I'm sure you'll all laugh at.

I quite like the look of that. Let's forget today and get on with the next game! That's on SKY too.

I'd go for

Davis

James Cork Perry Surman

Schneiderlin Gillet

Thompson Lallana Holmes

Pekhart

I cant believe that Killer has been dropped in your and others reckoniing already. Boy we do people a chance.Thomas was said to be useless a week ago and now hes the replacement for our captain.

i'd go for

------------Davis--------------

Thomas -Svensson- Perry- Cork-

-------Schneiderlin--Gillett------

Holmes----------- ------Surman

-----------Lallana--------------

-------------Pekhart-----------

Subs

Bart

John

McGoldrick

Dyer

Wotton

Edited by the scud

Personally I'd go for

Davis

Cork Perry Svenson Surman

Schneiderlin Gillet

McGoldrick Lallana Holmes

John/Pekhart

I thought Gillet was poor today but has had a good season so far so, like Arizona, will give him the benefit of the doubt. I'd be tempted to see Surman in the middle of the park but not sure who would be LB - maybe Skacel if his heart is in it? I agree that White isn't ready and I'm just not sure that James is a RB - his defensive positioning really needs working on. Didn't think killer was that bad today tbh, made some great taclkes and won his fair share of headers

We definately have to bring in Cork and Pekhart and probably play Thomas instead of Killer

Bialkowski

Cork Thomas Perry ?

Gillett Schneiderlin

Lallana McGoldrick Surman

Pekhart

We desperately need a left back

and I really don't understand why we brought in Pulis when the last thing we need is another midfielder - full backs to free up James and Surman to play in midfield would have made more sense

Edited by Rebel

As Arizona says he's looked off the pace a bit recently, and Cork looked very good against Derby and Brum. Just my opinion.

Cork didn't win anything in the air, Thomas was poor in the air against the Stoke aerial threat, Svennson was up against a real physical handful, I don't think Thomas would have done as well.

I can see changes, but I think JP likes James at fullback and Svennson as his captain.

IMO it is more likely he brings Pekart in up front with McGoldrick in the hole, Lallana moving to the right and the possibility of Cork playing in midfield with Schneiderlin or Gillett.

Interesting that everyone seems to be happy with the single striker' date=' probably would agree away but at home . not sure[/quote']

I am a 4-4-2 man, but I don't think we have the flexibility today. A common gripe about Saints today is no plan B. We were srying out for a switch to 4-4-2, but I don't think we have the players to do that halfway through a match.

The 'keeper and back 4 is the same but in front of that, I guess would be:

Dyer - Lallana - Wotton - Holmes

- - - - - DMG - John - - - - - - -

That wouldn't really work IMO. The wingers are ok, but that strike partnership has yet to produce a goal in several attempts. Lallana is good as a wide man or in the hole, but never a central midfielder.

The trouble is that Dyer, Holmes, Wotton, DMG and John can only really play one possition effectively and it just wont work in a 4-4-2 formation.

I didn't think Svensson was that bad today, no worse than the rest of the defence. Personally I would put Thomas on the right and try Cork on the left with Svensson and Perry as the centre backs. I like the look of that midfield and forward line up so will stick with that and put Surman on the bench.

We definately have to bring in Cork and Pekhart and probably play Thomas instead of Killer

Bialkowski

Cork Thomas Perry ?

Gillett Schneiderlin

Lallana McGoldrick Surman

Pekhart

We desperately need a left back

and I really don't understand why we brought in Pulis when the last thing we need is another midfielder - full backs to free up James and Surman to play in midfield would have made more sense

Cant understand why you would drop Davis.

I can't believe people are suggesting we drop Killer, especially when it's Thomas coming in to replace him.... :|

Forget it, JP isn't going to drop his captain. Anyway he's saving Thomas for Rotherham if he's still here.

When we won the Ashes everyone was going on about Ashley Giles. We lost a game and the world wanted to drop him.

But it was Ashley's runs that helped win us that little urn.

Sometimes in a team someone has a bad day but overall they are an ingredient in the team that it needs.

I wouldn't be for wholesale changes based on losing one game in three myself...

It's what I HATED about Burley. Either we have a best eleven or we don't. And do you drop players because of one bad game or because they're off form??

When we won the Ashes everyone was going on about Ashley Giles. We lost a game and the world wanted to drop him.

Sometimes in a team someone has a bad day but overall they are an ingredient in the team that it needs.

It's what I HATED about Burley. Either we have a best eleven or we don't. And do you drop players because of one bad game or because they're off form??

Spot on. There isn't one single player to blaim for today.

I can't believe people are suggesting we drop Killer, especially when it's Thomas coming in to replace him.... :|

Killer today was found wanting, both in the air and in pace. Whilst Thomas is no quicker, I feel he would be stronger in the air and in the tackle, allowing Perry to clean up the scraps.

Cork would be my first choice, although I admit I haven't seen him play. However I think RB is perhaps the most pressing issue and I'd have him there ahead of James.

didn't think James was too bad today but would like to see Cork given a go.

Svensson didn't have a good game but do not think he deserves to be dropped because of it.

Main problem today was the significant drop in form of Gillet and Scneiderlin. If they are thought to be back in form stick with them -if not maybe one with Wooton.

RM is the position most in need of settling, whether its one of the midfielders or swapping around and using Lallana or DMG (although thought they were two of the best players today)

-------------Davis

--Cork---Killer-----Perry-----Surman

-----Gillett---------Wotton

Lallana------Schneiderlin-----Holmes

--------------Pekhart

or

-------------Davis

--Cork---Killer-----Perry-----Surman

-----Gillett---------Schneiderlin

McGoldrick------Lallana-----Holmes

--------------Pekhart

--------------------Davies

Cork----Svensson/Thomas----Perry----Skacel

-----------Schneiderlin----Wotton

Dyer----------McGoldrick/Surman-----------Holmes

-----------------Pekhart/John

Or different formation

------------------Davies

Cork----Svensson/Thomas----Perry----Skacel

------------------Wotton

----------Schneiderlin---Euell

Dyer---------------------------------Holmes

-----------------Pekhart/John

Oh good, back to player Scrabble. I've missed old Burley, really I have. Not knowing who might be playing one week to the next. Jesus, that was fun wasn't it? So much fun. Dined out on those team selections we did.

So glad that above all, we learn from our mistakes at this club.

Our main problem was sticking religiously with things which clearly weren't working. I'm thinking tactics like using Euell, BWP and Viafara and wingers, Wright as a left back etc.

Much as I disagree with changes for changes sake, I think there are some aspects of the team which need adjustment. White and James I don't think are ready. Killer I wouldn't be upset to see in the team, but I'd personally rather have Thomas.

I don't think 3 changes to a team which has just lost at home to a poor Blackpool side is going overboard.

yeah, rofl!

Our main problem was sticking religiously with things which clearly weren't working. I'm thinking tactics like using Euell, BWP and Viafara and wingers, Wright as a left back etc.

Much as I disagree with changes for changes sake, I think there are some aspects of the team which need adjustment. White and James I don't think are ready. Killer I wouldn't be upset to see in the team, but I'd personally rather have Thomas.

I don't think 3 changes to a team which has just lost at home to a poor Blackpool side is going overboard.

James I disagree. Very little of Blackpool's second half attacking threat came down the right (although on reflection most of their first half did!!!). White I couldn't even tell you how he played which probably means you're right!

But James has held is own in better company and second half he was up to the plate.

I think also that our full backs are getting unfair hammer. Their role in this set-up is to get forward and be part of the play - that their colleagues sometimes fail to cover, or lose the ball when they shouldn't, means our full-backs look exposed or not quick enough to get back. Often, that's not their fault, but the covering midfielder's.

If, however, you're basing selection on yesterday's game, you would drop Gillet in a heartbeat, wouldn't you? And, as above, is that fair? Are we looking at yesterday's result/performance in isolation? Or taking the view that we had made two great strides last week, and one step back?

I don't think anyone would suggest dropping a 100% (or even 80%) fit Killer, but yesterday (from what I saw) I would rate him at only 50/60% fit.

As long as he's fit enough we should play him but he needs to be exactly that

to keep his place against QPR.

I don't think anyone would suggest dropping a 100% (or even 80%) fit Killer, but yesterday (from what I saw) I would rate him at only 50/60% fit.

He had a really tough job yesterday. Much tougher than I think he's been given credit for. He still made a couple of outstanding tackles but was really exposed on a couple of occasions for pace - which was never his strong suit!!

I kind of agree - 80% would be good enough and he won't have anywhere near the same physical battle against QPR as he had here!

Yesterday's probably the first time this season he's been significantly shorter than the striker and it showed!!!!

But he has a fortnight to work on fitness and recover. I bet he's suffering badly after four years out and then a month of almost solid football. Wouldn't like to be him waking up this morning...

But James has held is own in better company and second half he was up to the plate.

I think also that our full backs are getting unfair hammer. Their role in this set-up is to get forward and be part of the play - that their colleagues sometimes fail to cover, or lose the ball when they shouldn't, means our full-backs look exposed or not quick enough to get back. Often, that's not their fault, but the covering midfielder's.

Well said, I have been going on about this on a number of threads over the past few weeks. We do not want "traditional" full backs in this system, our full backs have to be comfortable on the ball and be able to link up play and get forward. Both did that well yesterday. Surman had a very good first half. The biggest problem with Holmes and Surman is that they are not yet on the same wavelength, Holmes sold Surman badly a number of times yesterday, and this has happened in previous matches as well.

The position that seems most up for grabs to me is the right side where we have used Thompson, Dyer, McGoldrick, and White. Maybe he might try McGoldrick there again to give space to Pekhart, but I wouldn't change too much yet, we need to give them time to settle into the pace. Just look at the total appearances of this team, it needs games, we should give them support, despite three defeats they are not out of their depth, we have only lost by one goal on each occasion, and yesterday was the first match we have not scored in.

Yesterday we just tried to have too many touches before releasing the ball, I am sure they will be working on getting back to the two touch football they played pre-season and in the first few games. I have a sneaking suspicion that we will have better results away this season.

we should give them support,

On that very point, 15K and change yesterday,what was that about then?

Not many Blackpool, I could see that from the TV,for the other missing thousands, lack of "names" in our side, hatred of the senior management,

holidays,TV what? or is the dire economic situation predicted by Mr Darling beginning to bite football already. I looked at QPR's attendance against Doncaster, 8000 or so....so those Sugar daddies better start making economies on fast cars and fast women, a lot of big spenders will need bailling out soon.

Killer today was found wanting, both in the air and in pace. Whilst Thomas is no quicker, I feel he would be stronger in the air and in the tackle, allowing Perry to clean up the scraps.

Cork would be my first choice, although I admit I haven't seen him play. However I think RB is perhaps the most pressing issue and I'd have him there ahead of James.

sorry mate but i do not agree with you, he made some quality tackles and is a must for the starting line up. The problem was that the midfield pushed up so far leaving gaping holes in behind and lost the ball too cheaply, you could have had Terry or Rio in place of killer and you would still have seen the same.

James I disagree. Very little of Blackpool's second half attacking threat came down the right (although on reflection most of their first half did!!!). White I couldn't even tell you how he played which probably means you're right!

If, however, you're basing selection on yesterday's game, you would drop Gillet in a heartbeat, wouldn't you? And, as above, is that fair? Are we looking at yesterday's result/performance in isolation? Or taking the view that we had made two great strides last week, and one step back?

Gillett has shown himself in the past to be good enough for the first team. Yesterday it was clear that he had the ability and the maturity to be in the first team, however he made a several mistakes with misplaced passes and the odd rash challenge. I think the first half hour showed what he is really about and given a 2 week break he will be back to his best.

White and James I just don't think are ready. White just looked lost and barely touched the ball for long periods of the game. James I think struggled to cope with Hammill and just didn't look comfortable either.

The problem is a Killer and Perry combination lacks pace. If Killer isn't winning things in the air, it is all to easy for teams to hoof it up to some great big lard a*se like Burgess and have quick players like Hammill and Kabba playing of the rebounds. We were slightly fotunate in that I think Kabba played too far off Burgess to take full advantage.

A fully fit Killer I completely agree would be awesome. However Killer yesterday looked off the pace and a bit behind the game.

Killer didn't look fit although he had a big physical threat to deal with.

James I thought was OK, didn't get forward but defensively worked hard and looked better than say Baird ever did at RB.

Gillett was the pivot for all the midfield for the first 30 minutes, and looked great for a while until he went right through a player a midfield, just like Surman did. It just seemed to me that after edging the first half without producing enough shots on goal, we were killed off by falling behind to the penalty.

As for changes, it doesn't sound like JP will make many, as he believes this is his best team. You can see Cork and Pekhart getting a go sometime, but they have all just got to learn from the experience.

If Killer is fit for QPR, then I would just try Pekhart as the only change in favour of White.

Gillett has shown himself in the past to be good enough for the first team. Yesterday it was clear that he had the ability and the maturity to be in the first team, however he made a several mistakes with misplaced passes and the odd rash challenge. I think the first half hour showed what he is really about and given a 2 week break he will be back to his best.

White and James I just don't think are ready. White just looked lost and barely touched the ball for long periods of the game. James I think struggled to cope with Hammill and just didn't look comfortable either.

The problem is a Killer and Perry combination lacks pace. If Killer isn't winning things in the air, it is all to easy for teams to hoof it up to some great big lard a*se like Burgess and have quick players like Hammill and Kabba playing of the rebounds. We were slightly fotunate in that I think Kabba played too far off Burgess to take full advantage.

A fully fit Killer I completely agree would be awesome. However Killer yesterday looked off the pace and a bit behind the game.

Agreed, we (or Jan) has to find a solution to that centre back pairing,from within I presume. You could see yesterday that corners and set pieces

scared us wobbly,young players learning to cope with full time,week in week out football just don't need that sort of extra pressure.Our midfield playing so high was designed to keep the pressure off the back two, didn't work .

I thought he'd run Cork on at half-time, he didn't , don't know why.Perhaps he just didn't see it the way we seem to.

Don't buy your logic here.

Killer can't have a bad game but Gillett can??

With a two week break maybe they'll BOTH be back to their best?

As for James I just flat disagree - I think he's young and learning fast. Every player in this league will struggle with an on-form Hammil. Find me a defender who is adept at defending a winger running at them with pace and the ball??

holidays,TV what? or is the dire economic situation predicted by Mr Darling beginning to bite football already. I looked at QPR's attendance against Doncaster, 8000 or so....so those Sugar daddies better start making economies on fast cars and fast women, a lot of big spenders will need bailling out soon.

Only 5.5k out on that one.

Don't buy your logic here.

Killer can't have a bad game but Gillett can??

With a two week break maybe they'll BOTH be back to their best?

As for James I just flat disagree - I think he's young and learning fast. Every player in this league will struggle with an on-form Hammil. Find me a defender who is adept at defending a winger running at them with pace and the ball??

It wasn't so much that Killer had a bad game as that he looked off the pace and lacking sharpness. If he can get that back before QPR then great, but if not I'd give Thomas a run out.

Gillett on the other hand did look sharp, but just made several mistakes.

Maybe they will both be ready for the QPR game, however I think it would be unfair on Thomas, who is match fit, to be left out in favour of Killer, who looked like he wasn't.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on James. I just didn't think he looked ready yet, or comfortable playing fullback.

It wasn't so much that Killer had a bad game as that he looked off the pace and lacking sharpness. If he can get that back before QPR then great, but if not I'd give Thomas a run out.

Gillett on the other hand did look sharp, but just made several mistakes.

Maybe they will both be ready for the QPR game, however I think it would be unfair on Thomas, who is match fit, to be left out in favour of Killer, who looked like he wasn't.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on James. I just didn't think he looked ready yet, or comfortable playing fullback.

Wingback? ;)

I think he looked marginally better, but Drew wasn't fantastic either. Also guilty of a booking for a needless rash challenge.
Drew is an enigma to me.He has nevere been the same player since he turned down South Africa to play for England.He has never played the same since.I understand he is playing out of position but also dont think he is mobile enough to play in his favourite position.

It is very frustrating.

Yes sorry you're right, the 8021 was for their game about Carlisle, so their

attendance varies by 7.5k from match to match, must be a budgetary nightmare,unless the BBC got it wrong of course. Can they have that few ST

holders at QPR, less than 8000?

STs sold out at 10k, the ground holds about 18k and the away end is 3k so theres only 5k home tickets available for league games.

They sold out the £10k seats and all the boxes which are more expensive than 15 prem teams.

We also have huge sponsors paying money, Lotto paid £5m to make our kits and Gulf air paid £20m if we make the prem. Santander and Chronotech also paid a lot too.