Our Position Or Pompey's?

Daren W

I would take the security of our position any day of the week! Their season isn't going to be much fun being battered week in week out!

Being battered isn't their only problem.

SBT is now being reported as having only around 60-70mil which in terms of "disposable assets" at this point is probably about right. He was NEVER the money man at Man City despite ALL his public pronouncements at the time (and how fast did his "mates" move him out of THAT seat... This time he tried the same trick with Taksin and got rumbled and is now trying to simply save face. SBT was never really more than a whacko Jacko with a suntan and an understanding of PR and a spell checker.

They have to repay debt fast so players go. SBT will not have the same borrowing power that "Pops" had for his boy.

So, IF the deal goes through, SBT gets the club for a quid and his disposable wealth is less than is needed to rebuild a "properly costed and sustainable wage bill", and he has a transfer window about to close...

Buy a new squad, get it to gel in the last month of the window - nope won't happen....

In the WORST case, the deal itself falls flat and they fall into admin, THEN what is there for the administrator to sell?

1) A PL income for one year plus parachute payments

2) Admin will not end before the window shuts - so no sqaud improvements possible except for some Bosmans, so even if a money man came in he couldn't spend until January

3) Little or no tangible assets, a high maintenance old stadium and a fanbase disgruntled at the exhorbitant prices they have been forced to pay for ST's

Those conditions rule out asset strippers and make it impossible to plan a leveraged buy-out unless the administrator accepts a very low bid.

Then a season of PL wallopings but still some PL salaries for the CCC.

Then also compare them with other clubs up for sale at the moment, which would be the better investment opportunity for anyone other than a wealthy fan?

Their BEST bet in that situation is an MJ type who can milk the parachute payments, worst case, they may not FIND a buyer.

No assets, limited squad, recession... they have UNCERTAINTY about their future, IMHO as we've just experienced, that is a far more worrying position to be in AT THIS moment in time than being in L1 with a season ahead of us.

Being battered isn't their only problem.

SBT is now being reported as having only around 60-70mil which in terms of "disposable assets" at this point is probably about right. He was NEVER the money man at Man City despite ALL his public pronouncements at the time (and how fast did his "mates" move him out of THAT seat... This time he tried the same trick with Taksin and got rumbled and is now trying to simply save face. SBT was never really more than a whacko Jacko with a suntan and an understanding of PR and a spell checker.

They have to repay debt fast so players go. SBT will not have the same borrowing power that "Pops" had for his boy.

So, IF the deal goes through, SBT gets the club for a quid and his disposable wealth is less than is needed to rebuild a "properly costed and sustainable wage bill", and he has a transfer window about to close...

Buy a new squad, get it to gel in the last month of the window - nope won't happen....

In the WORST case, the deal itself falls flat and they fall into admin, THEN what is there for the administrator to sell?

1) A PL income for one year plus parachute payments

2) Admin will not end before the window shuts - so no sqaud improvements possible except for some Bosmans, so even if a money man came in he couldn't spend until January

3) Little or no tangible assets, a high maintenance old stadium and a fanbase disgruntled at the exhorbitant prices they have been forced to pay for ST's

Those conditions rule out asset strippers and make it impossible to plan a leveraged buy-out unless the administrator accepts a very low bid.

Then a season of PL wallopings but still some PL salaries for the CCC.

Then also compare them with other clubs up for sale at the moment, which would be the better investment opportunity for anyone other than a wealthy fan?

Their BEST bet in that situation is an MJ type who can milk the parachute payments, worst case, they may not FIND a buyer.

No assets, limited squad, recession... they have UNCERTAINTY about their future, IMHO as we've just experienced, that is a far more worrying position to be in AT THIS moment in time than being in L1 with a season ahead of us.

Exactly what I was thinking lol!!!! put like that, it doesn't sound good! hart certainly has a challenge, esp when Distin goes to Sunderland!!! It is actually alovely feeling just worrying about the game today mixed with a tinge of excitement!

Obviously if one was just asked the question would you prefer to be in the Premiership or the third division on -10 points, then the answer is going to be the first option every time, unless by some really quirky reasoning somebody actually prefers the lower cost, but genuine football in the third division.

If somebody asks would you prefer to support Saints or the Skates, then again everybody on here will naturally say Saints, apart from the blue few who prefer our forum to theirs.

Otherwise, if the intention of the thread was to use an element of crystal ball gazing, most sensible people would be predicting that the circumstances surrounding both clubs now, will probably favour us one or two seasons along the road.

we are all excited about tomorrow and the season,

they are dreading it and not wanting the football to start,

sure most of them would love to be in our position

I take it from the time of the above post that the last phrase was beer induced.

Even with all the uncertainty and worn out setup at FP, I'd much rather be in the Premiership than the third division. If you're in the prem, there's always a chance to stay in it, even if it's a long, dour struggle to survive.

If you're in the third tier, you have a long, long way to go to get back to the bright lights. If you spend a decent amount of money on carefully selected players, you've got a chance. If you don't, and lets face it you aren't, you've got very little chance of even making the playoff's.

Don't be surprised if we're in the same divisions this time next year....

I take it from the time of the above post that the last phrase was beer induced.

Even with all the uncertainty and worn out setup at FP, I'd much rather be in the Premiership than the third division. If you're in the prem, there's always a chance to stay in it, even if it's a long, dour struggle to survive.

If you're in the third tier, you have a long, long way to go to get back to the bright lights. If you spend a decent amount of money on carefully selected players, you've got a chance. If you don't, and lets face it you aren't, you've got very little chance of even making the playoff's.

Don't be surprised if we're in the same divisions this time next year....

What are you saying? That we'll both be in the Fizzy Pop? ;) Yes, it's possible, although I reckon it'll be the year after.

As for the chances of you lot staying in the Premiership, that will be next to impossible if you go into administration and have 9 points deducted. Even those who reckon that there will be three other teams worse than you do not fully take into account that those clubs are in the main better financed than you with less debt and therefore the ability to invest in the better players than you lot can afford.

But I admire your optimism, misplaced as it is.

What are you saying? That we'll both be in the Fizzy Pop? ;) Yes, it's possible, although I reckon it'll be the year after.

As for the chances of you lot staying in the Premiership, that will be next to impossible if you go into administration and have 9 points deducted. Even those who reckon that there will be three other teams worse than you do not fully take into account that those clubs are in the main better financed than you with less debt and therefore the ability to invest in the better players than you lot can afford.

Lot's of 'If's' in there. The reality is that an awful lot more has to go wrong for us, and an awful lot has to go very right for you for us to both be in the Championship next year.....

The 3 promoted clubs plus Stoke, Hull and possibly Hull have a similar standard squad to Pompey IMO.

But then im an arrogant juvenile so what do i know

Optimism? Not sure having optimistic fans gets you anywhere. And its not arrogance, its realism

Ah! There's an echo of previous sentiments in there somewhere from the time that the Lowe Luvvies were decrying the attitude of the pessimists, who preferred to be considered as realists.

But I refute your contention that having optimistic fans gets you nowhere. Optimistic fans are more likely to attend matches, pay for merchandise, spread the word amongst friends. Optimistic fans give wholehearted support to the players, who in turn pick up the mood and gain confidence.

It's pessimism that is so destructive, but that feeling has disappeared with the departure of the old regime. If you wish to continue feeling pessimistic about our future, go ahead. But don't decry the mood of others who feel that we have a better era ahead of us.

The 3 promoted clubs plus Stoke, Hull and possibly Hull have a similar standard squad to Pompey IMO.

But then im an arrogant juvenile so what do i know

The point I made was that those teams you mentioned do not have the precarious fininancial situation that the Skates have. Unless the fake sheik can get somebody with real concrete wealth to come in with him, they will be hampered in their dealings with the replacement players for the family silver quality that they have had to sell. Those other teams have mostly got better stadia with greater capacity and less debt to encumber them.

Im all for optimism, but optimism + a crap team will only go one way

The season only starts later today, the transfer window is open until the end of the month and after that loans are possible. If you're all for optimism, then you would not be so damned pessimistic now, would you?

Like a kid moaning that he hasn't got the presents he wants on Christmas Eve.

Lot's of 'If's' in there. The reality is that an awful lot more has to go wrong for us, and an awful lot has to go very right for you for us to both be in the Championship next year.....

That's why I said that the year after appeared the more likely option.

I just love this place,,

3rd tier of english football which is our lowest for half a century...or the prem...

brilliant

Some people have such simple minds that they cannot see the point of the original question at all. Perhaps giving them the benefit of the doubt, it was badly worded.

I'm pretty sure that the intention of the thread was to look at the wider historical perspective rather than the here and now.Perhaps the OP could clarify that and then those with simpler minds can then post their thoughts in terms of say the next 5 years.

I wonder if (when we had wiggles in charge and could not buy a win) all these lot would have been happy swapping with say......barnsley at the time or even plymouth..

im sure they would have at the drop of a hat

The thread is about us and the Skates and there are particular circumstances prevailing at the moment that make comparisons between two local rivals interesting. Pity that you can't see the relevance of that.

If you wish to post your own thread comparing us with other teams several years ago, go ahead.

The thread is about us and the Skates and there are particular circumstances prevailing at the moment that make comparisons between two local rivals interesting. Pity that you can't see the relevance of that.

If you wish to post your own thread comparing us with other teams several years ago, go ahead.

it is ridiculous to suggest right now we are better of than pompey...utterly risiculous...and certainly if you dont think we are better off that certainly does not mean you are a 'moaner'

im all for being positive..heck, i even banged on enough over the last weeks that we CAN go up this season as we have more than most in this league whilst so many are happy with just "staying alive" and 'consolidate'

but to suggest it is better to be where we are over where the skates are is quite frankly...stupid (imo of course)

You've been watching too many episodes of Panorama :)

But then Sound Bites and spin that's all the Brit population like to watch on telly these days

Haven't seen it on TV - my daughter works in Abu Dhabi. She is currently involved in the 'new' Abu Dhabi on the mainland - is that connected to Hydra?

PS I don't go to Primark for the very reason that you quoted.

Good question - Pompey getting tonked 4-0 in the EPL every game or (hopefully) the Saints winning their fair share down in L1 - I'd say it's almost impossible to actually enjoy watching your team lose a match so we may well have more fun this season than PFC , after all the enjoyment of watching your team win a football game is the reason we go in the first place isn't it ?

Of course the ideal situation would be watching your team win games at the highest possible level , but we are where we are and I for one fully hope & expect to enjoy watching my team this season - I bet plenty of pompey fans would struggle to say the same .

Some people have such simple minds that they cannot see the point of the original question at all. Perhaps giving them the benefit of the doubt, it was badly worded.

I'm pretty sure that the intention of the thread was to look at the wider historical perspective rather than the here and now.Perhaps the OP could clarify that and then those with simpler minds can then post their thoughts in terms of say the next 5 years.

Clearly if you break it down to exactly what was originally posted, even most of you guys don't believe you're in a better position. Things MAY change in the next few weeks and months, but as I say, lot's and lot's of 'if's'......

it is ridiculous to suggest right now we are better of than pompey...utterly risiculous...and certainly if you dont think we are better off that certainly does not mean you are a 'moaner'

im all for being positive..heck, i even banged on enough over the last weeks that we CAN go up this season as we have more than most in this league whilst so many are happy with just "staying alive" and 'consolidate'

but to suggest it is better to be where we are over where the skates are is quite frankly...stupid (imo of course)

Read the subject of the thread carefully and then try a see it in the context that I'm sure it was intended, i.e in the perspective of say the next few years.

Firstly, it asks "our position or Pompey's" It does not ask who is better off.

I agree with you that it is entirely possible, although unlikely that we could be promoted this coming season. Equally, I'd say it was a distinct possibility that the Skates could be relegated this season. Taking that perspective, who is really in the better position if that happened?

Secondly, where you asked whether it is better to be where we are over where the Skates are, again, I'm sure that was not the intention of the thread. I agree that somebody would have to stupid not to believe that it was better to be the Premiership than in the third division.

I can only explain my choice like this:

We've been in Pompey's position before. Preparing for a season where you believe you are going to get kicked from pillar to post, with little or no help from the manager, players or owner is no fun. We've done that before. For years. Yes, Pompey could well survive but as what? A team whose only hope is to hold on until a real owner comes along? Done that. I don't remember it being all sunshine and lollipops on here while it was happening either.

I may be a bit punchdrunk after the last few seasons but I'd prefer a season with the promise of maybe... maybe winning games and getting somewhere over a season of just holding on. We've ridden out this God-awful rollercoaster of a mess so please forgive me not wanting to switch to a club showing all the signs of doing the same all over again. I'd rather win some games and I don't really give a flying one who it's against... Man U or Darlington, it's all the same to me.

Our club is on the up now. I don't really care where it's coming up from exactly. By contrast, Pompey appear to be on the wane. Considering the events at FP, it doesn't seem that important where they're coming down from either. Not to me anyway.

I trust AP to get us up there - maybe not this year but soon. Don't think the same can be said of Pompey's man.

I think I can settle this.

Imagine today that both Southampton and Pompey bid for a player at another club. Both bids are accepted, and both clubs offer the player an identical contract.

Can anyone honestly imagine he'd chose us?

I just love this place,,

3rd tier of english football which is our lowest for half a century...or the prem...

brilliant

Again, do people not atually read the question. It's not about position.... It's about where the respective clubs are.

One secure and stable but in a lower league

The other insecure, unstable and in real, real trouble...

Jesus, do people actually read stuff before they go off on one, or is being an abrasive internet personality more important than actually debating?

Edited by Daren W
reply was a tad too abrasive!

League one on minus ten.

Premiership only having to finish higher than Birmingham Wolves and Burnley.

Is this a serious question?

yes mate, it is...

People seem to be completely missing the point.

A choice...

A league One club that has come out the other side and is optimistic, stable and secure, albeit it starting with -10 points but now on the way up.

Compared to a club in a higher league but in total meltdown, players leaving in their droves, unable to balance the books, in an antiquated ground, no infrastructure and no direction and very much heading towards administration and relegation, regardless of where they finish in the league...

Now bearing in mind they struggled last season and are now seriously weakened and the clubs coming up and the ones above are strengthening, it doesn't take a football genius to forsee a season of struggle... at the very best.

Now seriously I would rather be our position as a club cleansed of all the crap and looking forward than feverishly looking over our shoulders. That's over, that part of our club is now history.

Now if people think just being in the Premier league is all it's about then good for them but this thread was about the state of the clubs not the rather vacuous option of what league they're attempting to compete in...

Now, can people address the question....

I don't know, Daren. The way you pose the original question, surely only a dufus would answer: P*mpey.

Perhaps it would be fairer to compare our actual position in League 1, -10, new minted, honest owner, etc, with a Southampton in a parallel universe: with an 'owner' in property development from the land of the mother of all property collapses, millions in debt, including a £35 million payment due any day, a squad being decimated by the football equivalent of a Woolworths closing down sale, a stadium that could actually be improved with a few judicious swings of a wrecking ball...and Premiership status at a time when, the big four or five aside, it seems the top division has an unusually high number of relegation candidates?

Daren, you are trying to debate with teenage mentality, and to be fair, the same few coming out with the opposing view, are in my view, just trolling. They have infected every thread with their 'we want it now' view, even when the majority of posters on here have argued against it. DD,SS,O_B_S, SCS, and CL.......they all share the same brain cell....sorry, I meant view point.

I posed this question on another thread, as did someone before me....it's simple, Saints any day...........we're on the up, Poopey are on the down.

Clearly if you break it down to exactly what was originally posted, even most of you guys don't believe you're in a better position. Things MAY change in the next few weeks and months, but as I say, lot's and lot's of 'if's'......

Exactly. I couldn't possibly say that our league position is in any way shape or form better than Pompeys but in terms of hope and the immediate future I think we're in the better position long term.

Perhaps i should have say L O N G T E R M but then you'll always get one person....

So it's all about the opposition then?

Riiiiigghhht...

where have I said that..?

being in the premiership means we are putting southampton back on the map..more interest in our city, seeing better players play for us, seeing our players go up against some of the best in the world, and at times, beat them...seeing full houses..the list is really endless why being in the prem is an infinity times better than league one...you are not daft, so im sure you know this

where have I said that..?

being in the premiership means we are putting southampton back on the map..more interest in our city, seeing better players play for us, seeing our players go up against some of the best in the world, and at times, beat them...seeing full houses..the list is really endless why being in the prem is an infinity times better than league one...you are not daft, so im sure you know this

But again, you 're missing the point. I'm not talking about the Premiership or League One.

A choice...

A league One club that has come out the other side and is optimistic, stable and secure, albeit it starting with -10 points but now on the way up.

Compared to a club in a higher league but in total meltdown, players leaving in their droves, unable to balance the books, in an antiquated ground, no infrastructure and no direction and very much heading towards administration and relegation, regardless of where they finish in the league.

For a makeshift side against promotion favourites, we looked bloody good today..

Again I would rather be us strong and looking forwards than strained, weak and unstable and looking over our shoulders...

Is it really that hard a point to put across?

Just what does it take for people to feel really upbeat about this club?

yes mate, it is...

People seem to be completely missing the point.

A choice...

Compared to a club in a higher league but in total meltdown, players leaving in their droves, unable to balance the books, in an antiquated ground, no infrastructure and no direction and very much heading towards administration and relegation, regardless of where they finish in the league...

Now bearing in mind they struggled last season and are now seriously weakened and the clubs coming up and the ones above are strengthening, it doesn't take a football genius to forsee a season of struggle... at the very best.

Now seriously I would rather be our position as a club cleansed of all the crap and looking forward than feverishly looking over our shoulders. That's over, that part of our club is now history.

Now if people think just being in the Premier league is all it's about then good for them but this thread was about the state of the clubs not the rather vacuous option of what league they're attempting to compete in...

Now, can people address the question....

It took five years, three Chairmen, some bizarre business decisions and administration and then we found a buyer. In that time we have fallen three leagues and could easily fall one more.

Pompey could be bought in the next week, and in four months be comfortably mid-table and safe in the Premiership.

Just because we shot ferking great holes in our foot with an idiotic meglomaniac chairman, that fate need not befall Pompey.

What if some Arab buys them next Tuesday for £50m and invests £400m??

How stupid will this thread look then?

Daren.. Either way, it seems many of the blue few agree with you..apparently only around 4k have turned up at fratton for their friendly with Rangers today....and some of those will ge rangers fans..

lol

S**t club, no fans. FACT.

Daren.. Either way, it seems many of the blue few agree with you..apparently only around 4k have turned up at fratton for their friendly with Rangers today....and some of those will ge rangers fans..

lol

Since when has 9k been 4k?

lol

Seriously???

Now that is funny!

I've always said that their support is not at all like ours. We moan like **** and are a miserble lot but when the going gets tough, for some reason we rally round and work better as fans. They seem to desert the sinking ship.

It annoys me when skates snipe about attendance at the Dell when even at our worst in the Premiership we operated at 95% attendance. Look at us now, 12,000 season tickets and rising for a League One side. You compare that to the early to mid nineties when Fratton Park was two thirds empty.