Our Position Or Pompey's?

Daren W

pfc123 - have you seen the "did we sign the right one?" thread?

watch both videos and let us know.

No hadn't seen it. Just had a look now. Lambert looks pretty good to be fair- the Luton goal was a bit special. Dunno if he'd be any good at a higher level as he has a lot of space and time in nearly all those goals, but hey, who cares I suppose if he gets you up?

Fred looks pretty erm, cheap? Two goals against Rangers reserves/youth isn't a good guide of Premiership ability, but it's a start. Can only hope I suppose. Don't really have much choice :???:

to all those who would rather be in our position, go back a few years and is that where pompey were? bougfht by mandaric to invest to get to the premiership and then make a quick buck by selling. roll on 5a few years and who's to say Liebherr won't be doing the same? Presumably he wants a return on his investment..

I can give you 2.6 billion reasons why he's almost certainly not looking for a return on his tiny (0.45% of his net worth) investment. :cool:

I can give you 2.6 billion reasons why he's almost certainly not looking for a return on his tiny (0.45% of his net worth) investment. :cool:

Markus buying saints and people saying he needs a return on it, is like us buying a plasma and needing a return on it - you don't, you watch it!

Nothing wrong with sensible debate pfc123, I reserve my purile abuse for dirty northern clubs like Leeds etc. I trust you will join me in that.

I'll pick up on one point you state 'someone wants a Premiership club on the cheap' but as I tried to point out Pompey are certainly not cheap. Middling debt by Premiership standards but still stop you in your tracks numbers. No stadium, no facilities, and at the moment a tenuous hold on Premiership status. There are precious few people in the world who have 100 of millions to throw about and Pompey like Saints just don't have the draw of clubs in larger cities.

Man City have a huge following and outstanding facilities, I know because i had a good look as they were beating us 3 - 1 :( That attracted arab money because the investment could be made on players for whom there is every likelyhood of some return. 150 million spent on players will generate league success, shirt sales and champions league TV money.... no brainer really.

Frankly I can't wait until these clubs go into a Europe league, self implode and leave proper football to proper clubs.

Macca

Glad most of you are content to be in League 1 on minus 10 rather than being in our terrible situation. It depends which way you look at it, the team is clearly not as good as last year but that level of spending was unsustainable. If on the other hand one applied the saints dream test of promotion to the premier league. Would I be content to be in the premier league and:

1) Have the England goalkeeper between the posts.

2) Experienced defenders like Distin and Herman

3) The superb Younis

4) Good young players like Ritchie and Wilson breaking into the team

5) the magician Kranjcar

6) Piquionne-did you see his goals

7) premier status

8) premier income

9) just beaten the scottish champions 2-0

10) Matin Crainie England u-21 player

Well God stopped at 10 points and so will I

Funniest thread ever on here you've got to admit. The above or 2 seasons in Div 3, now let me think...................

Oh dear, seems as if even he is off elsewhere, prepared to drop down a division, although I suspect that he could have got some games in the Premiership in your threadbare squad.

http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/coventry-city-fc/football-rumours-gossip/2009/08/12/coventry-city-fc-agree-deal-for-martin-cranie-92746-24381658/

Nothing wrong with sensible debate pfc123, I reserve my purile abuse for dirty northern clubs like Leeds etc. I trust you will join me in that.

I'll pick up on one point you state 'someone wants a Premiership club on the cheap' but as I tried to point out Pompey are certainly not cheap. Middling debt by Premiership standards but still stop you in your tracks numbers. No stadium, no facilities, and at the moment a tenuous hold on Premiership status. There are precious few people in the world who have 100 of millions to throw about and Pompey like Saints just don't have the draw of clubs in larger cities.

Man City have a huge following and outstanding facilities, I know because i had a good look as they were beating us 3 - 1 :( That attracted arab money because the investment could be made on players for whom there is every likelyhood of some return. 150 million spent on players will generate league success, shirt sales and champions league TV money.... no brainer really.

Frankly I can't wait until these clubs go into a Europe league, self implode and leave proper football to proper clubs.

Macca

Yep, quite a few valid points there apart from Pompey's debt, which is now down to 27m- not much by Premiership standards. There's a whisper on the Pompey news site this morning saying that the club will be debt free after August 24th. Apparently the first instalment of the Sky money is paid the day before and it's going straight to Standard bank of South Africa as the last repayment of the loan Sascha took out initially.

Now, whether that means that from then on we're 'completely debt free' is a moot point. I think it will bring it down to the last 20m that Gaydamak is owed personally. Either way, very good progress on what was a crippling debt.....

Yep, quite a few valid points there apart from Pompey's debt, which is now down to 27m- not much by Premiership standards. There's a whisper on the Pompey news site this morning saying that the club will be debt free after August 24th. Apparently the first instalment of the Sky money is paid the day before and it's going straight to Standard bank of South Africa as the last repayment of the loan Sascha took out initially.

Now, whether that means that from then on we're 'completely debt free' is a moot point. I think it will bring it down to the last 20m that Gaydamak is owed personally. Either way, very good progress on what was a crippling debt.....

so the debts paid but no player investment, that quite honestly is desperately needed or its likely you will go down, no new stadium and no training ground. What ever way you cut it thats still 100-120 million needed before you can progress.

And on Maccas last point, ive been saying it for years, Sky has ruined football in this country as a competition, the premier league is another scottish prem with limited clubs that can win the thing, so yes let them form a european super league and leave the also rans a bit to aim for rather than avoid relegation and grab the cash

Thats fine so long as your gate money is suffcient to pay your running costs for the next 12 months. I suspect it won't be.

Your situation reminds me of the Jules Verne book "Around the World in eighty days," specifically the bit when Phileas Fogg is heading across the Atlantic on the way home on board a small cargo vessel. When the ship runs out of fuel, Fogg buys it and has the crew burn every wooden fitting and fixture to maintain a head of steam.

Your club is just like that boat stripped down. All the valuables have been removed and nobody with any sense would buy the remaining carcass, as the cost of restoring it to even something akin to a football team capable of survival in the Premiership would be enough to put off anybody wealthy enough to consider it.

Even if you did end up debt free after the initial FA payment has been made and paid on to the South African Bank, the revenue from your small stadium will not be sufficient to maintain the wages of any players decent enough to keep you up. And if a decent stadium had to be built as a result, the cost would put you straight back into debt.

If Gaydamak wants all his remaining loan repaid, then that will presumably come from further payments to the club from the FA, meaning that the monthly running costs will be even harder to sustain. Most buyers will not be spending their money because you are in the Premier division at the moment, without looking long and hard at the probability that you will not be there next year.

Your club is just like that boat stripped down. All the valuables have been removed and nobody with any sense would buy the remaining carcass, as the cost of restoring it to even something akin to a football team capable of survival in the Premiership would be enough to put off anybody wealthy enough to consider it. ...................

Like everything in life, there is always somebody who will buy an old wreck. There is a price for everything and I sadly have no doubt that someone will buy them.

In their case it looks as if it's going down to the bargain basement, rejects and unwanted returns section in ikea

Like everything in life, there is always somebody who will buy an old wreck. There is a price for everything and I sadly have no doubt that someone will buy them.

In their case it looks as if it's going down to the bargain basement, rejects and unwanted returns section in ikea

Yes, just as there's always a drunken sailor who will settle on the ugliest Pompey scrubber, looking at her through his beer goggles. Trouble is, realisation dawns on him in the morning, just as it will on anybody stupid enough to buy the Skates when they realise that they've been screwed. ;)

Increasingly it looks like an opening for Mark Jackson to exploit

I don't believe that for a second. P*mpey will be out of business by this time next year at the very latest.

Glad most of you are content to be in League 1 on minus 10 rather than being in our terrible situation. It depends which way you look at it, the team is clearly not as good as last year but that level of spending was unsustainable. If on the other hand one applied the saints dream test of promotion to the premier league. Would I be content to be in the premier league and:

3) The superb Younis

5) the magician Kranjcar

7) premier status

8) premier income

9) just beaten the scottish champions 2-0 *

Funniest thread ever on here you've got to admit. The above or 2 seasons in Div 3, now let me think...................

And just to add to your hilarity.....

Cranie is reported to have been sold to Coventry today...

http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/coventry-city-fc/coventry-city-fc-news/2009/08/12/martin-cranie-set-for-coventry-city-fc-medical-92746-24382016/

I bet you're still finding it funny now aren't you?

*that still makes me chortle, pfc123 says they're no better than Bolton and that's why skates stayed away in their droves but you call them the champions of all of Scotland... lmfao

Edited by Daren W

Got told by a few mates of mine who support pompey rekons on the 29th of august there enter admin unless that nob buys them.

No matter even if that nob buys them there still be in deep trouble they wont have enough time to buy players in this transfer window and there gona strugle untill xmas in which there be in a very poor postion i would take the stabality we seem to have now over theres but there league status i would take over ours.

3) The superb Younis

5) the magician Kranjcar

7) premier status

8) premier income

9) just beaten the scottish champions 2-0

1) Yeah we all know that there is a lack of quality England keepers at present.

7) Make the most of it while you can, doubt you'll match 27 years.

8) Think you'll find that a certain ex-chairman has a design on most of that

9) That'll be the champions of a league, a team of from which we beat 3-0 a couple of weeks ago.

10) Another long tailed rodent leaving an ailing ship, I'll take your word for it about the rest but if they are as good as you say then I think they'll be joining Agent Crainie.

Hmm, League 1 with a future, I think so, the future is very bright cos it's gonna be Red & White.

Your accounts have been highlighted here before and you do not seem to realise that Portsmouth City FC Ltd is the wholly owned subsidiary and Miland Developments (2004) lTD is the Holding Company.

These companies, in their accounts to 31.05.08, made a gross loss of £10M and £7.6m respectively and a pre tax loss of £17m and £17.2M. Current Liabilities including Bank and I presume Gaydamaks Loans amount to £391M for the two companies and their net worth is negative £96M and negative £85M. You have sold over £100m worth of players, but that is not enough to repay all the liabilities. Furthermore all the high wages would continue to be paid since then so goodness knows what the liabilities are now.

You can check these figures from the Company's Registry, but suffice to say I am glad I am not Portsmouth's Bank Manager or indeed a creditor. Ooops, I forgot to mention those County Court Judgements registered against them.

Your situation reminds me of the Jules Verne book "Around the World in eighty days," specifically the bit when Phileas Fogg is heading across the Atlantic on the way home on board a small cargo vessel. When the ship runs out of fuel, Fogg buys it and has the crew burn every wooden fitting and fixture to maintain a head of steam.

Your club is just like that boat stripped down. All the valuables have been removed and nobody with any sense would buy the remaining carcass, as the cost of restoring it to even something akin to a football team capable of survival in the Premiership would be enough to put off anybody wealthy enough to consider it.

What a fantastic analogy! Wasn't able to read without passing comment! :D

FWIW The words that i've been reading over the last 24 hours are very positive, from what I've read from 'Trusted' message board sources (Openly available) things are really hotting up and could well be sorted already. Of course, I've made the judgement as to wether or not to believe them and through years of trawling boards feel the info is reliable.

I hope it's right, I really do, and that many of the 'less imaginative' posters on here suffer the same fate as many of the feeble minded Pompey fans recently rubbing their hands at your (thankfully recently averted) demise. That of being made to drink a bowl of thier own throthing bile soup! :D

Edited by PES
Scientific Human inability to 'Read' Sounds.

Hmmm, an interesting analogy with one fatal flaw- because the boat is stripped out and burnt it allows them to not only survive by getting across to the other side, but also it allows Fogg to get to the reform club in time to win the bet!

Alternatively, they could have just stuck their heads in the sand, run out of fuel and drifted before being consumed by the first nasty storm that came their way.

Sooooo, using your analogy, you can either sit tight and hope to drift into calmer waters where you might eventually be spotted and saved, OR you sell a large chunk of your assets off, survive and continue under your own steam.

This picture you paint gives me considerable hope for PFC's future. Thankyou!

Hmmm, an interesting analogy with one fatal flaw- because the boat is stripped out and burnt it allows them to not only survive by getting across to the other side, but also it allows Fogg to get to the reform club in time to win the bet!

Alternatively, they could have just stuck their heads in the sand, run out of fuel and drifted before being consumed by the first nasty storm that came their way.

Sooooo, using your analogy, you can either sit tight and hope to drift into calmer waters where you might eventually be spotted and saved, OR you sell a large chunk of your assets off, survive and continue under your own steam.

I think you'll find that in Wes' excellent analogy Phileas Fogg represents Sacha Gaydamak and the boat Pompey. So, according to your reading of it Gaydamak will skip happily away to greater things, as did Fogg. As for the boat, it is simply sacrificed to allow Fogg/Gaydamak to achieve his aim. Still, it's nice that Wes' picture makes you feel optimistic...

I think you'll find that in Wes' excellent analogy Phileas Fogg represents Sacha Gaydamak and the boat Pompey. So, according to your reading of it Gaydamak will skip happily away to greater things, as did Fogg. As for the boat, it is simply sacrificed to allow Fogg/Gaydamak to achieve his aim. Still, it's nice that Wes' picture makes you feel optimistic...

True, but at least the boat survived. Slimmed down, maybe, but a good 'restoration project' for somebody ;)

Well, as per the analogy, Pompey is represented by the empty shell that will require extensive rebuilding at huge expense to keep it afloat and operational, although on the face of it, it would probably make more sense to consign it to the scrapyard.

Meanwhile, down the road, the good ship SS Southampton is a good modern seaworthy vessel which was badly run by the previous owners and has been bought by a successful shipping magnate, who is going to do a major refit, turning it from a tourist class ship into a first class liner. Quite fitting really, as Southampton is the country's major liner port.

Well, as per the analogy, Pompey is represented by the empty shell that will require extensive rebuilding at huge expense to keep it afloat and operational, although on the face of it, it would probably make more sense to consign it to the scrapyard.

Meanwhile, down the road, the good ship SS Southampton is a good modern seaworthy vessel which was badly run by the previous owners and has been bought by a successful shipping magnate, who is going to do a major refit, turning it from a tourist class ship into a first class liner. Quite fitting really, as Southampton is the country's major liner port.

Yep, yep interesting. I suppose you're a bit like most of the new cruise ships. New, gaudy, flash, cheap to get on, but with little pedigree and history.

We're a bit like the Queen Mary. Tired, a bit faded around the edges, and in need of some well earned TLC, but still just about first class, and with an interesting history.

Actually, **** it you probably are better off on that analogy :D

As long as we don't turn into the Queen Elizabeth (saddest day of my parents life) I'll be happy....

Yep, yep interesting. I suppose you're a bit like most of the new cruise ships. New, gaudy, flash, cheap to get on, but with little pedigree and history.

We're a bit like the Queen Mary. Tired, a bit faded around the edges, and in need of some well earned TLC, but still just about first class, and with an interesting history.

As long as we don't turn into the Queen Elizabeth (saddest day of my parents life) I'll be happy....

What does 'little pedigree and history' mean?

Surely every club has history. The number of trophies doesn't enter in to it. If you work on the same lines, by comparing both our history's, Saints have actually finished higher than pompey more times since we were both founded. That includes our time in the Southern League, the old Div 3 south, Div 3, the old 2nd and 1st Divisions. In fact your time in the old Div 1 was probably the only sustained period of time you spent higher than us.

Personally I think we are both reasonably successful provincial clubs that in certain parts of their history punched above their wieght, you happened to win the league in that time, we were runners up, but that was when we were up against a club that at that time were one of the strongest, most successful clubs in the history of the game.

what a pointless thread. A vehicle 4 the usual windbags to revel in the misfortune of others to avoid accepting the shortcomings of our recent history. I have no love at all for Pompey but our own existence would be all the poorer without the motivation to do better with them down the road and the desire to return to the old status quo . Perhaps we should at least recognise that their takeover bid has not been endorsed by one of their playing legends. Once again Daren and Wes are in the glass house being predictable.

what a pointless thread. A vehicle 4 the usual windbags to revel in the misfortune of others to avoid accepting the shortcomings of our recent history. I have no love at all for Pompey but our own existence would be all the poorer without the motivation to do better with them down the road and the desire to return to the old status quo . Perhaps we should at least recognise that their takeover bid has not been endorsed by one of their playing legends. Once again Daren and Wes are in the glass house being predictable.

There goes the neighbourhood.

Riiiggghhht, ok......

How would you define the history of a club? To me its the story of the existence of a club from its founding until the present day. Part of that history may document successes and failures. A club that has won nothing still has a history.

If we said that history was based on what you had won, we would have to say that Germany didn't have a history because they hadn't won any wars. But we all know that that isn't the case

More like The Titanic coming up for you lot. "Iceberg straight ahead"

Oh the irony, Mr Multiple Personality accusing others of being windbags and being predictable...

lol

Keep taking the tablets....

Then don`t read it and don`t bother to post on it. Simple isn`t it?

Sammy Igo?

Matt Robinson?

Alan McCloughlin?

Fredi Piquionne?

Oh the irony, Mr Multiple Personality accusing others of being windbags and being predictable...

lol

Keep taking the tablets....

Once again the usual lame and truly ignorant response to a fair comment. In this instance recognising that the demise of our arch rivals would ultimately diminish our own supporting experience. T

Once again the usual lame and truly ignorant response to a fair comment. In this instance recognising that the demise of our arch rivals would ultimately diminish our own supporting experience. T

Fair point?? What fair point you complete idiot? Can you please point out where, at any stage, I've relished Pompey going into administration or going out of existence? Or even hinted it at?

You can't as it never happened and it's not true.

To say I'm "Recognising their demise" is a blatant lie...I am simply enjoying the complete and utter mess they're in. No more no less.

Are you that stupid that you can't understand the basic premise of this thread or are you just looking for arguments?

A cheap and unpleasant dig followed by a cheap and unpleasant dig.

Absolutely... I'm not denying it... But there's something about 19c/Sundance/Flashman that just brings out the worst in me.

Without wishing to appear childish, who started it? Surely the poster who gave us this....

"what a pointless thread. A vehicle 4 the usual windbags to revel in the misfortune of others to avoid accepting the shortcomings of our recent history. I have no love at all for Pompey but our own existence would be all the poorer without the motivation to do better with them down the road and the desire to return to the old status quo . Perhaps we should at least recognise that their takeover bid has not been endorsed by one of their playing legends. Once again Daren and Wes are in the glass house being predictable. "

If multiple personality man throws stones he should expect one or two heading right back at him.... even if it's rather harsh. If he doesn't like me or my replies... don't rile me. Simples...

What is your reason/purpose for posting these comments on "a pointless thread"? Are you happy now that the sniping has started again after your return from holiday? If being a WUM really is the best you can do to get your kicks, why not do something different, something more in line with your personality like train-spotting or drowning kittens? I am sure that you will find these far more satisfying.

As I said before - if you think that the thread is pointless, then don`t read it or post on it.

Cheer up.