Fifa 10

St Marco

The commentary needs a bit of touching up; during a penalty shoot out their player scored, and Tyler started banging on about how he had missed, how it was a shame and that he'd see me next time... The penalty shoot out then carried on as normal. In another match I scored a great goal, Frank Lampard DiCanio'd it from about 18 yards and then to celebrate I did the old smack the chest/badge and Andy Gray started going on about how that sort of celebration was unnacceptable and had a right old rant!!!!

Played the /FIFA10 demo on 360 two days ago, liked the fluidity of everything, massively impressed by the look and feel of the game, much less cartoony than before, and the ball no longer feels like a balloon. No more Jason Euell-style controlling be ball with bandy legs, it all looks excellent.

About time they put the effort in on goalkeepers' shirts too...

What I disliked the same old "all players are the same" FIFA nonsense - it still feels like there's no difference in players, and strategically I'm not convinced anything makes a difference other than formation.

However, it is MUCH better than last year's effort, which I didn't particularly like because of the clown faces and balloon ball, but was still decent.

For some reason I still ended up with PES2010 on for 3 hours yesterday though...

I agree pretty much the9. But i think you do notice the differences with the players. For example if i play as Barca i will try and get the ball out to Messi simply because he seems to be better at dribbling then the others. I can run at a defender and fool him into think im going one way when i actually going the other way. I think that is a lot like him. Same as Ibrahimovic, he is good at keeping hold of the ball and getting the ball down. I can notice each player from their likeness (the players i know anyway).

In contrast i actually thought that was one of the weaker areas for PES10 this year.

Gerrard,Torres,Messi,Henry,Inesta,Xavi,Alonso (coz he is still playing for liverpool in the demo) all look fantastic. But the rest look a bit wierd looking in places.

The thing is i find Fifa 10 has improved on a lot but also in some ways gone backwards. But the ways they have gone forwards is in terms of gameplay and backwards in presentation. With PES10 it is the opposite, they have gone backwards in terms of gameplay but forwards in terms of presentation. It is sad that they can't just team up and fuse the two games together because if you had fifa's gameplay and pro evo's presentation the game would be amazing.

Reading the PES forums i think most are unhappy about the game. You know it is bad when a guy who has 18000 posts on there and admin replies to the question "what build is the demo?" with "the **** build" hehe.

The PES crowd seem quite a critical bunch!

http://www.pesgaming.com/showthread.php?t=72662

Edited by St Marco

Reading the PES forums i think most are unhappy about the game. You know it is bad when a guy who has 18000 posts on there and admin replies to the question "what build is the demo?" with "the **** build" hehe.

The PES crowd seem quite a critical bunch!

http://www.pesgaming.com/showthread.php?t=72662

Reading the PES forums you'd be surprised any of them had ever bothered to play it, it's been non-stop beyatching since PES3, and the game's made massive improvements since then.

However, give me PES6 for PS2 on a Next-Gen console with full kit editing, photo imports, 64 boot slots, the new style sliders to affect team positioning and choices, 3D player modelling, a stadium designer, a league and cup editor and unlimited team slots and I'd never play another game.

As for the **** build, they've probably heard there are better builds out there, hence the response.

PS The missus scored from 30 yards with Ibrahimavic past Petr Cech in her first ever FIFA10 game, couldn't believe it.

Edited by The9

I would consider myself PES through and through and have bought all but one version.

However being that fan makes me realise how far the series has fallen. The fact i looked at Fifa 07 after not playing one since 2000 shows the downward spiral was noted awhile ago.

Before ISS i was a Fifa player, before that a kick off player. I like football games and will give them all a fair chance.

So it is good to read peoples opinions on both the series but as yet the only criticism i have seen/read of Fifa this year is normally followed by the words "i am a PES fan".

I think one of those guys on the PES forum summed it up perfectly "You are used to what you are used to and to change will always be hard for some".

Im just a fan of the better game and 99.9% of people will say Fifa 10 is better then PES 10. There are a few things i dislike about it but overall the things which are important have been improved such as the gameplay. The dribbling is better then PES, the crossing is better then PES, the shooting overall is better then PES, the corners are better then PES, the throw in's are better then PES, the penalties are better then PES the AI is better then PES, the animations are better then PES etc etc. You can go on for days.

The tactics stuff is better in PES but that is because we have not seen the Fifa version yet which is in the full game. If what they showed from the gamespot footage of gamescon is in the final product then again Fifa will win that section too simply because you can create anything you want to create in terms of plays/tactics etc, complete freedom. No sliders. You can tweak those changes on the fly in arena or practice matches. Again as i said can go on for days.

EA have added a lot to the game to justify shelling out again and overall it is an improvment.

Where as PES to me just seems like the last three versions. No real change at all and if anything has now become to noob friendly in that anybody can play it, it does not take as much skill to play. Like that tricks video above, a good player can do those things, most cannot. In PES you have 2 dribbling animations and that is it. Very very limited.

But it is as i said a matter of opinions, some who are used to it will love it and those who are not will probably not. But one statement is true in that recently more people are being converted to fifa players then pro evo players, there has to be a reason for that.

cracker of a goal, mine are never that good. I scored with a scissor kick but it was not that amazing, basically a cross came in i scissor kicked it and got the angles all wrong, it hit the ground and bounced over the keeper like a sort of lob.... guess they all count right :p

Well Eurogamer have got their review up

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/fifa-10-review

Wont ruin it for you but wow they really go for it against Pro Evo

Pro Evolution Soccer finds itself in the Liverpool role these days. Demoted to second-best in 2008 after a few years of increasing stagnation, Konami will not enjoy FIFA 10. Conflicting embargoes mean that we can't put the two latest instalments head to head until our PES 2010 review on 15th October, but unless something dramatic has happened since last month, the gap is ever more significant. If last year saw FIFA knocking PES off its perch, this year it's chasing it around the birdcage with a plank of wood and a sledgehammer

That is funny as ****

Im just a fan of the better game and 99.9% of people will say Fifa 10 is better then PES 10. There are a few things i dislike about it but overall the things which are important have been improved such as the gameplay. The dribbling is better then PES, the crossing is better then PES, the shooting overall is better then PES, the corners are better then PES, the throw in's are better then PES, the penalties are better then PES the AI is better then PES, the animations are better then PES etc etc. You can go on for days.

The tactics stuff is better in PES but that is because we have not seen the Fifa version yet which is in the full game. If what they showed from the gamespot footage of gamescon is in the final product then again Fifa will win that section too simply because you can create anything you want to create in terms of plays/tactics etc, complete freedom. No sliders. You can tweak those changes on the fly in arena or practice matches. Again as i said can go on for days.

The corners are much better in PES.

The AI is far better.

The tactics are much more useful I find.

Crossing seems FAR too easy on Fifa.. (on PES it's more satisfying as you have to judge where your player will be) Fifa i hit it midpower everytime = perfect header.

Dribbling it depends I like how it's harder on PES, on Fifa it's easier but it feels like the ball is stuck to the feet sometimes..

There's no way on earth the shooting is better on Fifa than PES, the shooting on this years PES is absolutely immense, the only thing that needs slight improving is chips, anyone score a screamer on FIFA & then on PES & Tell me which felt more satisfying.

The fact is it's down to opinions, Marco you strike me as someone whose more of a Fifa player, but what people are starting to find is this years PES if you give it a chance is a grower if you read the PESFAN forums then you'll see alot of people who were initially disappointed with the demo who are now hailing it as one of the best PES's to date.

Fifa is more instantly likeable but I don't get the same feel for the game, and the novelty just wears off for me after a while, it's a great game but just somehow feels a bit too.. 'forced' the defending in Fifa just feels pretty awful too.

The corners are much better in PES.

The AI is far better.

The tactics are much more useful I find.

Crossing seems FAR too easy on Fifa.. (on PES it's more satisfying as you have to judge where your player will be) Fifa i hit it midpower everytime = perfect header.

Dribbling it depends I like how it's harder on PES, on Fifa it's easier but it feels like the ball is stuck to the feet sometimes..

There's no way on earth the shooting is better on Fifa than PES, the shooting on this years PES is absolutely immense, the only thing that needs slight improving is chips, anyone score a screamer on FIFA & then on PES & Tell me which felt more satisfying.

The fact is it's down to opinions, Marco you strike me as someone whose more of a Fifa player, but what people are starting to find is this years PES if you give it a chance is a grower if you read the PESFAN forums then you'll see alot of people who were initially disappointed with the demo who are now hailing it as one of the best PES's to date.

Fifa is more instantly likeable but I don't get the same feel for the game, and the novelty just wears off for me after a while, it's a great game but just somehow feels a bit too.. 'forced' the defending in Fifa just feels pretty awful too.

I would actually say i was now more a fan of Fifa yes.

But i was once a massive hater of Fifa and a huge PES fan. PES5 will be my favourite football game i think, even more so then Kick Off or Sensible World of Soccer. Still play it on pc now and then.

You are entitled to your opinion mate and i respect you for it.

But i disagree in every aspect.

The AI in Fifa is hardcore, it is realistic in it's movements and everything. PES10 is up there with the worst AI i have seen in any game not just a football game. In one of those reviews someone comments that if PES10 was say a first person action game the AI would be the equivelent of the opponents standing still while grenades, bombs and fire are coming at them and then looking at each other and then firing in the opposite direction to where your facing. It is so poorly coded.

The corners in Fifa10 blow PES10 out of the water. You can now actually decide your own corners and put people wherever you want. But if you can't be arsed with that you can just do any type of corner you want with various button presses i.e 2 hits of A = ball hit to just outside the penalty box etc..

Crossing in PES10 does not exist. There are various types of crossing in Fifa10 with various differnt types of height and weight. You can cross one in with a bend or try a Rise type rocket that goes straight. Fifa09 had **** poor crossing as was like launching a baloon and hoping your player got to it before their keeper. So Fifa10 compared to 09 is a huge improvement in terms of crossing. PES10 gives you a delayed long cross, and that is it, no bend no nothing.

I could go on but i wont. I read the PES forums, always have. Part of me knows that PES could be great again and each year i wonder if this is the year. But seriously most PES fans this year conceed it has pretty much died on it's ass. The forum is full of angry people ****ed at Konami. If you read the first page they have a poll and 39% state they are very unhappy in it. They have the mod of that site openly saying the game is ****, etc etc. Plus Konami have blocked magazines/websites from putting up reviews with embargoes. Rumour has it they have to wait until 15th october before they can do that. Now this is not rare it happens a lot but in this instance there is a reason for it. Early reports say PES10 is going to get savaged review wise. Eurogamer is one website that will most likely put up a very brutal review and the key thing here is they are the UK guy's. They know football, they know football games.

Today should see the first review come out from Official Playstation mag and the few other ones Konami knows will give them a fair ride i.e IGN and Playstation Mag. Those websites normally favour Konami.

But you don't need a review to see how far backwards the game has gone, you can see it for yourself. And this is why i dislike PES and like Fifa now. Because Fifa feels like how PES used to feel. The things we hated fifa for we liked in pes, the roles have reversed now so surely that logic must now be applied the other way? EA are trying to do their best, you can see how much they care about the game because of the sheer amount of work they do with the fans of it, they are fans of football themself. Where as Konami just lie about it all. Last year they said sorry for the poor game they made and would go back to start again. They didn't do that so will be interesting to hear what they have to say this time.

The best thing PES can do is take it out of the annual list. Take it away and work on it as long as it takes. Because right now PES10 is playing like an old gen game, it is out of date and stale. Being released every year was the worst thing to happen to it.

So as i said you are entitled to your opinion but in terms of progression Fifa is going forwards and is positive overall, where as PES seems the opposite to me, that is what i think.

Edited by St Marco

As a 'Will probably buy both games' man (AKA, nerd). The demo for PES2010 was 70% build over here. If you download Winning 11 demo in Japan, it's 90%.

You'll be surprised how much difference there is between them.

Pro Evo definitely isn't as bad as people are making out it is. It does some aspects better than FIFA, such as shooting and crossing, but is a lot less polished.

So while I like FIFA better than Pro Evo at the moment, and it all comes down to opinions, if anyone says to you that Pro Evo is getting worse, immediately disregard that.

if anyone says to you that Pro Evo is getting worse, immediately disregard that.

even though on the official forums 40% of people on their poll think it is?

horses for courses i guess but i'm in the same camp as most people seem to be in that it is ****.

Well it will be interesting to see how the final build is because the eurogamer guy has played the full version, the release version and pretty much said it was worse.

I have not played the WE version as don't have a Japanese PSN account. But i somehow doubt Konami would release a demo that was supposedly months old in europe/america and then all of a sudden have this great game with all these improvements etc only 2 weeks later. The ironic thing is those few people who are saying it is great are the ones who said the orgional demo was great....go figure how that works.

I will give it a rent and see how it is but people i know who have played the retail version do not sound as happy as those few guys do that is for sure. In fact the one guy on there who is mr pes, always has nice things to say etc.. say's "the difference is miminal, you are hyping it up". So it is hard to know who to believe.

It is possible that it is better, it happened with Fifa 08 i.e the demo and retail were very different. Guess we will find out soon enough hey.

jammy buggers, hoping Game do what Game do and give me the game a day early on thursday.

A few questions though for those who have the full game already

They say that the demo and full version are quite different. The demo was 5 builds ago and a lot of things have been polished up. So was wondering if you notice any differences from the demo to the final version? Are the replays like how they were on 09 where you would get a reply quite often or like in the demo where you only get a replay if it really is a close shot or a save?

Also reading the reviews they say the further you get down the leagues the harder it is i.e you notice that playing in league 2 is more rough and not as technical as say the prem league. I'm guessing most of you have started as Saints so do you find that to be true? How good is our team?

And the other thing is they said they would bring back 5v5 on be a pro online (as well as 10 vs 10) has that been brought back?

ta :)

Ah, but wouldn't you get banned the minute it went online to play? I have no idea about copying games.

Also thought i would add that the very very biased PSM (Playstation Magazine) who are bigtime Konami supporters and normally Pro PES have released their reviews today. They were the company Konami turned to and gave them exclusive rights for the first review for PES10. They normally give them a 90% no matter what they do. Like last year PES09 everyone was giving 70% and 75% reviews and they gave it 90%.

So this month they were the ones due to continue the good name of the PES series.

So what happened?

Well they gave PEs2010 a 89%.........and Fifa2010 a 90% score.

So more evidence to show PES has indeed gone backwards and the fact Konami need to pick the magazines that are allowed to review their games means they are running bigtime damage control.

And there you have it, the biggest Ally to PES has now openly admitted Fifa is now better.

Ah, but wouldn't you get banned the minute it went online to play? I have no idea about copying games.

Also thought i would add that the very very biased PSM (Playstation Magazine) who are bigtime Konami supporters and normally Pro PES have released their reviews today. They were the company Konami turned to and gave them exclusive rights for the first review for PES10. They normally give them a 90% no matter what they do. Like last year PES09 everyone was giving 70% and 75% reviews and they gave it 90%.

So this month they were the ones due to continue the good name of the PES series.

So what happened?

So more evidence to show PES has indeed gone backwards and the fact Konami need to pick the magazines that are allowed to review their games means they are running bigtime damage control.

And there you have it, the biggest Ally to PES has now openly admitted Fifa is now better.

No you wouldn't. You need to get it patched. 2 years online and not banned yet!

ah well i hope you guy's don't get caught!

One last thing. There is a update for the game on the day of release. They say it is to add/change things which they did after the game had gone gold. All the feedback they got from people from the demo etc they used to create the patch. So won't be huge changes but shows that they care what people think. Couple of days to go now yay.

always one more thing.....

Was just browsing the fifa forum and noticed someone has set up a saints team on there. I notice a few names from this site.

So thought i would pass on the thread to those guys who like , a virtual saints club....

http://forums.electronicarts.co.uk/fifa-10-manager-mode/821599-southampton-f-c-ea-united.html

So well done whoever did that stuff about us, top man.

And don't forget if you enjoy the be a pro stuff loads of leagues on the official league thing for you to play in

http://forums.electronicarts.co.uk/online-leagues/

Edited by St Marco

So what happened?

Seriously, are you PAID by EA or what? You always go on about supposedly being a writer for the games industry, yet it seems clear that your writing is poor, and you never, eer show much in the way of objectivity about anything.

Seriously, are you PAID by EA or what? You always go on about supposedly being a writer for the games industry, yet it seems clear that your writing is poor, and you never, eer show much in the way of objectivity about anything.

When have i ever said i am a writer for the games industry?!

I am a media analyst....

i.e i get paid by companies to research into various things and give an opinion. Like for example how popular a service could be, or how people would react to a product hitting the market, if a company is worth buying etc etc

I have on a few occasions been asked to do some work for computer software companies.

So you sort of contradict yourself there by saying i don't object to things when i have said PES10 is crap.

This is a Fifa thread, about Fifa. Some people have given their views on it and made statements and they are entitled to them. I myself have my own opinions on the same subject and overall that view is shared in the whole media. As mentioned right now Fifa10 has a 92% metacritic score. Making it

currently the 9th highest scoring Playstation game, ever. I imagine it's pretty high on the 360 list too. It is the highest scoring sports game of all time.

If it was an action game say COD4 everyone would be raving about it. As a football fan myself i see how good it is.

So i think the problem is your end mate not mine. Everything i have said about the game has come from the reviews of the game. I have not played the game, i have not got the game. Only going on what people have said.

If you prefer PES10 then that is fine, you are entitled to your opinion but mine is as i mention many times that it feels like a con job, which is just what EA used to do.

I thought we all moved on from this whole "let's have a go at people" thing?

I'll admit Fifa is looking very good this year and is instantly likeable I'm going to get both titles, because PES still is the game I'm more comfortable with, I'd go as to far to say both titles are looking superb this year and Konami have made changes in the right direction but for the BETTER game is Fifa for most people (not me included) I've been playing PES and ISS ever since 1998 so to transfer to another series is hard for me. I still get those magic moments from it, the problem i find with Fifa it doesn't capture the same sort of multi-player moments that PES does.

But this year we should be glad we have two great games to choose from, it all comes down to your own preferances and style of play.