My idea for a new Southampton badge

Matthew Le God

Discussed on here a few times before. Almost every team in recent years has made significant changes to their badges. The current Saints badge only came into existed in the 1970's so hasn't always been used. Just look here http://www.geckosaint.com/badges.htm for a badge history of Southampton.

Below is my design for my Football Manager Live team called St. Marys Y.M.A. but it could be easily used for Saints. It combines the current Saints badge with the very first Saints badge from 1885.

In 2010 we could use this badge and the home kit from 1885 in our 125 year anniversary year http://www.historicalkits.co.uk/Southampton/Southampton.htm

2elggb6.png

Edited by Matthew Le God

Thats a good idea, just a one off season badge with a home kit from 1885

http://www.historicalkits.co.uk/Southampton/Southampton.htm

like the badge and the idea. I'd prefer one of the later kits - with red and white quaters tho.

I love that historical kits site - some brilliant ones in there. particular favs are brentford, everton, watford, york city and bolton (1884 kit - king o' the mountains!). worth a look!

Edited by Polaroid Saint

Thats a good idea, just a one off season badge with a home kit from 1885

http://www.historicalkits.co.uk/Southampton/Southampton.htm

I'd prefer to keep the existing badge long-term; I know it's only been around since the '70s but there's just something very distinctive about it, it really sticks out from other club badges and as others have said - if it aint broke don't fix it.

Having said that I quite like your idea of just having it for the one season with a historical kit; I wouldn't mind that at all

Still going with the scarf and halo thing I see. Personally I've always thought our badge is pretty uninspiring and lacking gravitas. Woolly knitted scarves and pentagon-panel footballs seem to root it very firmly in the 60s and 70s, and if you've ever had to explain the halo to anyone who doesn't know anything about football, it sounds so literal it's comical.

That said, I'm very fond of it (in an embarassing relative kind of way) - I just wish the club would get it redesigned with a little more class.

Still going with the scarf and halo thing I see. Personally I've always thought our badge is pretty uninspiring and lacking gravitas. Woolly knitted scarves and pentagon-panel footballs seem to root it very firmly in the 60s and 70s, and if you've ever had to explain the halo to anyone who doesn't know anything about football, it sounds so literal it's comical.

That said, I'm very fond of it (in an embarassing relative kind of way) - I just wish the club would get it redesigned with a little more class.

I mixed current(scarf and halo) with the 1885 badge in order to mix old and new rather than something completly different from whats gone before. The scarf/halo/football combination allows for recognition it is still Southampton. The 1885 part is a link to the distant history and roots of the club.

No need to change the current badge. I'm not changing my tattoo either.

What about in a one off to celebrate 125 years of Southampton in 2010?

As my badge links 1885 to 2010

As for your tattoo, I think you will find it hard to name many clubs in this country that haven't changed their badge and Saints current badge isn't that old itself(circa 1970's)

What about in a one off to celebrate 125 years of Southampton in 2010?

As my badge links 1885 to 2010

As for your tattoo, I think you will find it hard to name many clubs in this country that haven't changed their badge and Saints current badge isn't that old itself(circa 1970's)

I don't really care how many clubs have changed their club badges. I just don't want Saints to ok. There's enough wrong with football these days with clubs selling out their traditions etc in order to make money out of fans. No offence but i take it you are quite young?

I don't really care how many clubs have changed their club badges. I just don't want Saints to ok. There's enough wrong with football these days with clubs selling out their traditions etc in order to make money out of fans. No offence but i take it you are quite young?

The club has existed for nearly 125 years it has had its current badge for not even a 1/3 of that time. Under 40 years!

So how is that tradition?

For over 80 years the club did NOT have the badge you have have tattoo of on you. So your tattoo actually is the thing without the tradition by your logic.

The club has existed for nearly 125 years it has had its current badge for not even a 1/3 of that time. Under 40 years!

So how is that tradition?

For over 80 years the club did NOT have the badge you have have tattoo of on you. So your tattoo actually is the thing without the tradition by your logic.

I don't like your design as well nipper.

I don't like your design as well nipper.

Thats fine. I don't have a problem with you not liking the design.

Its just your arguement about tradition lacked any logic due to the small amount of time and relative tradition compared to the age of the club the current badge has. :)

Edited by Matthew Le God

I like the design of MLGs badge, but I dont think there is anything wrong with the current one. Although it is new in relative terms, it has been around the entire time I have supported the club and would therefore prefer to keep it.

i concur with all of the above, but i do like the sound of the 125year anniversary kit n badge idea, we wouldn't be changing the badge for good, but just adopting (or perhaps 'fostering' would be a more apt word) a new one for the 1 season...:)

Mods, how about a poll to see if people are up for this idea. and maybe if enough people show an interest , the idea could be put to the club's marketing department..

i for one would buy a replica top with a 125 year anniversary badge on it...

Edited by saint boggy

I quite like our current badge so I'd like to keep it. I don't like anything with a crown in it.....actually I detest anything with a crown in it....take the crown out and I may consider it. That's my only criticism.

The crown is part of the 1885 Southampton badge so you can't take it out. Look here http://www.geckosaint.com/badges.htm

I know that the badge has only been around since the 70's but it is still has tradition. Just look at the web site banner above. I liked the Badge which Keegan sports above as well as no boarder on the current kit which umbro have done a nice job with.

Good effort on badge above but not really my cup of tea.

I quite like our current badge so I'd like to keep it. I don't like anything with a crown in it.....actually I detest anything with a crown in it....take the crown out and I may consider it. That's my only criticism.

The crown is part of the 1885 Southampton badge so you can't take it out. Look here http://www.geckosaint.com/badges.htm

Yeah, I know where Rev Saint is coming from, and I share the sentiment. But I don't overtly object to the crown on the badge as reflecting the tradition. I think this might be a good idea for a one off season change.

Loose those hooped socks in the changed strip, mind..! ;)

I'm always very sceptical about teams tampering with the design of their club badge, with QPR being a prime example of how not to do it! Whilst I like MLG's design, I don't think our badge needs changing and it should be kept as it is. Nout wrong with it in my eyes and as the old saying goes, if it aint broke don't fix it!

As for the 125 year suggestion, I think a special kit to mark the occasion would be a great idea, and no doubt the fans would buy into it. As well as being the team strip for a season, it would also be a nice bit of memorabilia to have. With that in mind, it would probably prove to be a good money-maker for Saints should they do something along those lines too.

I dont think it looks all that dated, does a good job of showing some southampton facts. I dont see the point in changing the current badge, maybe somekind of face lift is needed, but nothing too drastic. I dont think the club could afford to change it tbh, think of how many times the current badge is hung up all over the stadium / on shirts / merch / tickets.

Sorry MLG, I don't like your design at all.

If there is a case for changing it then the last thing you would keep from the current badge would be the bloody scarf and ball.

Your design takes thr worst bit from the old badge and adds in something "traditional" that doesn't actually mean anything to anyone apart from a couple of octogenerians who remember the boys club.

SFC is not a boys club.

SFC "tradition" started, like most football clubs, from the sixties onwards and only really got going under Ted.

Boy's clubs from hundreds of years ago just do not feature as our "tradition" whether you like it or not.

A new Southampton badge, if we need one at all, needs to look different otherwise what's the point.

Your design is just the same badge but with a slightly different (and worse) middle bit.

Of the current badge, the new forest tree, southampton water and city rose are probably the best bits and would be the elements to keep.

Sorry, back to the drawing board.