BBC Team News

saintbob40

"Southampton striker Thomas Pekhart is pushing for a place in the Saints team after scoring in midweek.

Fullback Lloyd James is doubtful so Paul Wotton may play in defence. Morgan Schneiderlin and Michael Svensson are both ruled out"

Ok in which case I would pick....

................Davies...........

[Reserve RB???]...Perry..Wooton...Skacel

...............Gillett...Cork......................

........Dyer....Llana...Surman...............

............... Peckhart..........................

Cork is better with the ball at his feet and Wotton can crunch people so swap them.

:-?

Cork at RB, Wotton at CB.

Wotton has impressed me massively so far, looks much better than most of us thought. His passing in particular has surprised me. To be honest, I would drop Gillett and play Wotton and Morgan in DM. Not through Gillett doing anything wrong - just playing our best players in their best positions.

"Southampton striker Thomas Pekhart is pushing for a place in the Saints team after scoring in midweek.

Fullback Lloyd James is doubtful so Paul Wotton may play in defence. Morgan Schneiderlin and Michael Svensson are both ruled out"

Ok in which case I would pick....

................Davies...........

[Reserve RB???]...Perry..Wooton...Skacel

...............Gillett...Cork......................

........Dyer....Llana...Surman...............

............... Peckhart..........................

Cork is better with the ball at his feet and Wotton can crunch people so swap them.

:-?

The Echo is saying JP is considering BWP, Schneiderlin, Pekart, to play together with Svennson who has been given the all clear by the surgeon and is fit.

So it is likely to be

---------------------Davis-------------------

------------Svennson------ Perry-------------

Cork---------------------------------Surman

--------------Wooton---Schneiderlin----------

McGoldrick-------Lallana----------Wright Phillips

---------------------Pekhart-----------------

So it is likely to be

Same 11 Ron, but for me McGoldrick was AWOL from wide right. I wouldn't consider him there, he has no discipline, it unbalanced the team.

That leaves Lallana to play wide and McGoldrick behind Pekart. Otherwise I would leave him out and play Dyer or Thompson wide right.

sod playing one up front

442 for me

Davis

James Cork Perry Skacel

Lallana Wotton Schniderlin Surman

Pekhart John

Schneiderlin is out, so I would play Dyer and McGoldrick instead of John who was a bored passenger on Wednesday. Isn't Skacel still injured?

Yeah, subbing one with the other on Weds was like saying "we're still gonna play with 10"

Davis

Cork,Killer,Perry,Mills

Schneiderlin,Wooton

Lallana McGoldrick Surman

Pekhart

But take out Schneiderlin and Killer, what've you got left?

We have 29 in the squad,3 are keepers, so we're down to 26 outfield players.

About 8 are injured or suspended,Skacel looks like a non-starter (why I've no idea) so that put us down to 17 for 14 places. If you want to exclude BWP and Dyer means you've got to put Paterson,White,K Davies in the squad.

The average age will be about 12.

So it is likely to be

Looks OK on paper doesnt it? Our full backs will still be exposed though meaning KD, Killer and Perry will have an abundance of crosses to deal with though.

I wonder if our tactics are to blitz teams in the 1st half and aim to go in 3 goals up so we can play keep ball in the 2nd half. We have had enough chances in most games to do it but just havnt taken them or have been shooting high and wide.

I almost feel sorry for the 1st team we play against where this system clicks. lol

Looks OK on paper doesnt it? Our full backs will still be exposed though meaning KD, Killer and Perry will have an abundance of crosses to deal with though.

I wonder if our tactics are to blitz teams in the 1st half and aim to go in 3 goals up so we can play keep ball in the 2nd half. We have had enough chances in most games to do it but just havnt taken them or have been shooting high and wide.

I almost feel sorry for the 1st team we play against where this system clicks. lol

Killer isn't playing,

Same 11 Ron, but for me McGoldrick was AWOL from wide right. I wouldn't consider him there, he has no discipline, it unbalanced the team.

That leaves Lallana to play wide and McGoldrick behind Pekart. Otherwise I would leave him out and play Dyer or Thompson wide right.

I think DM likes to see his name in lights so tends to come inside looking for goals. When he works out that there is no-body to supply him the ball from the right he may settle for doing a job there. He has the skill to do an OK job there, just needs to do it for the team. Lallana is much better in the hole than DM but I think he is also better on the right.

Personally I would send Dyer back to kiddy training for a couple of weeks where they still teach 1-2 passing then bring him back as our right winger leaving DM, Lallana and Pekhart to fight for the middle attacking options.

So the Beeb is as clued up as usual. How those blokes get their info mixed up

all the time is simply amazing .

Don't blame the BBC. Their information comes from the Press Association The UK's 'national' news agency), who in turn get it from the club or from local stringers who are supposed to have their finger on the pulse.

Most team news you read about is piffle as clubs deliberately spread false so as not to give the opposition any clues.

I can almost hear you saying 'the BBC should check their facts.' Not even the BBCc, with its wealth of resources, can devote time and man-hours to checking team news from every club. If they did devote such resources, you licence payers would be whingeing that it is a waste of your money.

They pay PA vast amounts of money every year to provide information, and the BBC have to place trust in the PA's reputation that it is going to be correct.

HTH

It's not looking good is it? I thought the idea was to use young, less injury prone players this season, instead of the usual old crocks, but it seems that, to be a first XI Saints player, you need to know how to get injured above everything else!!

Given this new (depressing) news, I'd go for:

Davis

Hatch, Cork, Perry, Surman

Wotton, Gillett

McG, Lallana, BWP

Pekhart.

Subs: Bart, Mills, Thomson, Dyer & John

So it is likely to be

I think that will be the team tomorrow - unless Killer is unfit. In that case I think Wotton will play at the back with Perry and Skacel at left back with Surman in the middle.

McGoldrick's best position is in the whole but Lallana is by far the best player in that position - ideally you rotate the two of them and play BWP/Thomson/Dyer on the right and Holmes on the left!

Have to say I'm not sure 4-2-1-2-1 is working for us in the Championship. I'd switch to a more defensive 4-3-3 with one holding midefielder and two box-to-box midfielders (providing some much need cover for our fullbacks) with a centre forward and two inside forwards.

A bit more like Terry Venables old 4-3-2-1 Christmas tree formation really I guess

Whatever formation we do play we need two full backs in the team as neither Lloyd James or Surman are really defenders

But take out Schneiderlin and Killer, what've you got left?

We have 29 in the squad,3 are keepers, so we're down to 26 outfield players.

About 8 are injured or suspended,Skacel looks like a non-starter (why I've no idea) so that put us down to 17 for 14 places. If you want to exclude BWP and Dyer means you've got to put Paterson,White,K Davies in the squad.

The average age will be about 12.

I've reconsidered....

----------Davis

Hatch, Cork , Perry, Mills

-----Wotton, Gillett

Lallana,McGoldrick,Surman

---------Pekhart

Subs: Bart, John, James, Paterson, Thomson

The only choice really is where do you play Wotton. If he's in defence then there is a lightweight midfeild, if he's in midfield then the average age of the defence is 12. Personally, I don;t think hatch and Mills at full backs will be worse than James and Surman... at least it's their natural positions.