The "Just back from the game" thread

Shroppie

Just back and very deflated.

Difficult to point the blame at any player in particular. Things didnt flow in the way they did on Tuesday.

Too many aimless balls down the middle, didn't get it wide often enough and whe we did, crosses were mainly disappointing. Ref was the worst I've seen for a long time. Didn't think it was a foul for their freekick for the first goal, Jaidi, Fonte and Lambert consistently won the ball fairly but were penalised. Some blatent shirt-pulling and pushes ignored in our box yet pen given for nothing I could see wrong against us.

but caught

Fonte was clearly fouled - should have been a pen but booked for simulation.

Think the penalty was just spite for all the complaining about earlier decisions.

My ratings, FWIW

Davis 8. One great save, no chance with the penalty

Harding 6 Not as assertive as he can be

Jaidi 6 Solid in the air, got nothing from the ref, poor distribution

Fonte 8 A rock. Should have won penalty.

Semi 6 Not involved enough in an attacking role

Lallana 7 Some nice moments, unlucky not to score, but nowhere near as positive as he can be.

Morgan 7 Seemed quiet, tried to get a passing game going but caught in possesion too often

Hammond 7 Worked hard as usual

Puncheon 6 Well below recent standard. Not brought into the game enough in wide positions, didn't see his pace.

Barnard 8 Worked tirelessly, good goal, missed one difficult chance, looked more likely than Ricky today

Lambert 6 Not much happened for him. Little protection from the ref, found it hard to win long balls cleanly, no real chances. One decent free kick.

Tranmere weren't that bad, but we should have won. They played some football and looked dangerous at times. They battled in midfield but we should have used the passing game better - the ball rarely moved out wide. Can't blame the pitch - it was fine.

Ref was a major factor, but all in all a not very good day at the office.

Just back and very deflated.

Difficult to point the blame at any player in particular. Things didnt flow in the way they did on Tuesday.

Too many aimless balls down the middle, didn't get it wide often enough and whe we did, crosses were mainly disappointing. Ref was the worst I've seen for a long time. Didn't think it was a foul for their freekick for the first goal, Jaidi, Fonte and Lambert consistently won the ball fairly but were penalised. Some blatent shirt-pulling and pushes ignored in our box yet pen given for nothing I could see wrong against us.

but caught

Fonte was clearly fouled - should have been a pen but booked for simulation.

Think the penalty was just spite for all the complaining about earlier decisions.

My ratings, FWIW

Davis 8. One great save, no chance with the penalty

Harding 6 Not as assertive as he can be

Jaidi 6 Solid in the air, got nothing from the ref, poor distribution

Fonte 8 A rock. Should have won penalty.

Semi 6 Not involved enough in an attacking role

Lallana 7 Some nice moments, unlucky not to score, but nowhere near as positive as he can be.

Morgan 7 Seemed quiet, tried to get a passing game going but caught in possesion too often

Hammond 7 Worked hard as usual

Puncheon 6 Well below recent standard. Not brought into the game enough in wide positions, didn't see his pace.

Barnard 8 Worked tirelessly, good goal, missed one difficult chance, looked more likely than Ricky today

Lambert 6 Not much happened for him. Little protection from the ref, found it hard to win long balls cleanly, no real chances. One decent free kick.

Tranmere weren't that bad, but we should have won. They played some football and looked dangerous at times. They battled in midfield but we should have used the passing game better - the ball rarely moved out wide. Can't blame the pitch - it was fine.

Ref was a major factor, but all in all a not very good day at the office.

Thanks for the 1st hand perspective.

Don`t forget to post about AP as he is always to blame don`t you know;)

Just back myself.

Poor game made infinitely worse by the worst refereeing performance I have seen in many, many, many a year.

That said, we had two golden chances 2nd half which I would expect to be buried.

We were denied two clear penalties IMHO of which the 2nd was a blatant foul but Fonte gets booked.

I feel we threw 3 points away today due to poor finishing and were robbed of 1 by a terrible ref'.

Don`t forget to post about AP as he is always to blame don`t you know;)

Can't say he picked the wrong team.

Maybe tactics were too much long ball.

Might have brought Papa on a bit earlier.

He could have tripped the ref up in the tunnel at half time. We needed a replacement: that one would never have given us anything.

Seriously don't think we could do any better than AP.

Can't say he picked the wrong team.

Maybe tactics were too much long ball.

Might have brought Papa on a bit earlier.

He could have tripped the ref up in the tunnel at half time. We needed a replacement: that one would never have given us anything.

Seriously don't think we could do any better than AP.

Me too but some on here believe we can...

Just back from the game myself.

1st half was probably fair to the teams to go in at 1-1, Saints probably just edged it but werent awe inspiring, the ref gave a couple of funny decisions but nothing compared to what was to come 2nd half. Barnard was the stand out player 1st half.

2nd half Saints looked well up for it and dominated most of the play, ref refused to give anything to Saints as the away crowed got more and more angry. I reckon' all the **** we gave him left him begging for a reason to give Tranmere a penalty. I couldnt really see if it was a pen or not, from where I was it looked like a rovers matey just fell backwards over one of our lads legs, dubious to say the least. Should have been a draw over all but im not too disapointed, was just good to see a game! :)

Worst ref ive seen in my time seeing Saints games.

Worst home atmosphere EVER, really really poor. They hardly ever got a song going, although I can see why given 60% or more of the nippers at the game had liverpool or everton shirts on.

And to make it worse a pompey fan, a middle aged man came to the game, sat near the away fans all decced out in pompey gear, with his two daughters dressed up aswell with a flag and all sorts. That REALLY wound a few people up, and the home stewards REFUSED to throw the C U N T out. It led to a few saints fans getting themselves nicked, utterly disgraceful, should have been thrown out, or not let in! And to out your daughters through that abuse??! Must have been a skate.

One of the worst refereeing performances i have ever seen too, when this guy came out dressed in salmon pink i knew we might have a problem! Denied us two blatant penalties and then up the other end couldnt not wait to award one to tranmere, for a very soft looking incident.

I think the players did well to restrain themselves - only two booked for dissent!

Apart from the refereeing, Saints were no where near at their best, and struggled to put any real pressure on tranmere's goal in the second half.

But if we had been given at least one of the penalties we deserved to get, then it could have been a lot different !

And I have demanded his dismissal....where, exaclty ?

I have said that he is failing to address an issue which is key to us being promoted.

Suggest you read posts before dismissing them.

And you can say that about todays game after seeing it of course?

Oh, no, you can't.

We had the chances 2nd half to wrap it up but poor finishing let us down. That has nowt to do with AP but the decision making of the players.

surely we must be past the point where we can blame anything or anyone but the 11men on the pitch and the bloke that sends em out there?

The pitch may be a factor, as might the Ref, but it shouldn't have mattered against lower standard opposition

How did you feel the linesman did with the Birmingham 'goal' today? Was that Alex McLiesh's fault? In my years supporting SAINTS I have seen ref's rob us on many occasions. I have no idea whether he did today. Nor do you.

And you can say that about todays game after seeing it of course?

Oh, no, you can't.

We had the chances 2nd half to wrap it up but poor finishing let us down. That has nowt to do with AP but the decision making of the players.

And the excuse for Exeter was ?

And the excuse for Brentford was ?

And the excuse for Wycombe was ?

Excuses, excuses, excuses....

Good god, what a co*k you are.

No team ever wins every game but we had the chances today, unlike the games you mention so it wasn't the set up, tactics or owt else but poor finishing and poor refing that cost us.

As I actually saw the game I guess I'm better placed that you to judge the performance.

How did you feel the linesman did with the Birmingham 'goal' today? Was that Alex McLiesh's fault? In my years supporting SAINTS I have seen ref's rob us on many occasions. I have no idea whether he did today. Nor do you.

Birmingham were poor i thought, didn't deserve to win

We shouldn't be getting to the 84th minute v Tranmere with the game in the balance IMO

And I have demanded his dismissal....where, exaclty ?

I have said that he is failing to address an issue which is key to us being promoted.

Suggest you read posts before dismissing them.

Have you thought that maybe the players have something to do with that?

Nope...all AP`s fault...

We shouldn't be getting to the 84th minute v Tranmere with the game in the balance IMO

And if AL and to a lesser degree LB had taken their gilt edged chances we wouldn't have been in that position. That's before I mention the two handed pushed on LB which was a stick on pen'.

But hey, you saw the game so you know that.

No, but thanks to a linesman/refereeing decision this country has a world cup. So you can't claim they have no effect on the game.

Anyway, that aside, what do you suggest Pardew does about Barnard and Lallana's finishing?

And if AL and to a lesser degree LB had taken their gilt edged chances we wouldn't have been in that position. That's before I mention the two handed pushed on LB which was a stick on pen'.

But hey, you saw the game so you know that.

At no point have i commented on the game specifically, i didn't go so don't know how we played. But we lost to Tranmere. Says a lot....

No, but thanks to a linesman/refereeing decision this country has a world cup. So you can't claim they have no effect on the game.

Anyway, that aside, what do you suggest Pardew does about Barnard and Lallana's finishing?

Chivers (?) sohuld have headed the rebound in anyway, rather than running off celebrating!

Lallana never seems to strike it cleanly, always seems to scuff it. Good question. Practise makes perfect....

Just back myself.

Poor game made infinitely worse by the worst refereeing performance I have seen in many, many, many a year.

That said, we had two golden chances 2nd half which I would expect to be buried.

We were denied two clear penalties IMHO of which the 2nd was a blatant foul but Fonte gets booked.

I feel we threw 3 points away today due to poor finishing and were robbed of 1 by a terrible ref'.

Scrappy game overall, wasn't sure about the Fonte "penalty" shout, but before that Barnard was clearly shoved in the back in the area as the ball came over. There was also the incident where most Saints fans were clamouring for a free kick as barnard was tussled off the ball by one of their centre backs, and understandably missed the back pass from the CB to their keeper, who picked it up on the edge of the area. The ref missed it too, but it's his job to spot those things.

Think it might well be a good shout that he gave their pen to **** of the away fans for the stick we were giving him.

Best chant of the day - "de de de der - HMRC"

At no point have i commented on the game specifically, i didn't go so don't know how we played. But we lost to Tranmere. Says a lot....

Chivers (?) sohuld have headed the rebound in anyway, rather than running off celebrating!

Lallana never seems to strike it cleanly, always seems to scuff it. Good question. Practise makes perfect....

I think he tries to side foot it. Probably he's been learning from someone else who used to do that rather well... He's got 11 league goals, not bad for a midfielder, the 12th highest in the league, four goals less than Barnard in the league...

http://stats.football365.com/dom/ENG/D2/leadsc.html

That's not bad is it?

Alpine you have obviously never played football because the strangest thing happens in games, the other team tries not to lose

they don't just roll over

no team in history of league one has got 138 points

On what grounds.

EVERY saints fan expected us to win today. and 90% of Tranmere fans expected us too as well.

We didn't

Something went wrong/didn't happen

So we never turned over high flying teams over when we weren't expected to?

It happens and today it happened to us.

Poor finishing and terrible refing cost us today, not formation, tactics or pitch.

I think he tries to side foot it. Probably he's been learning from someone else who used to do that rather well... He's got 11 league goals, not bad for a midfielder, the 12th highest in the league, four goals less than Barnard in the league...

http://stats.football365.com/dom/ENG/D2/leadsc.html

That's not bad is it?

Didn't say it was. You brought it up. Good goalscoring return this year, just at times doesn't seem to strike it cleanly. Expect a fight to keep him in the summer

Alpine you have obviously never played football because the strangest thing happens in games, the other team tries not to lose

they don't just roll over

no team in history of league one has got 138 points

But this is what people seem to believe is possible? how is it they can get so wound up over one defeat in 2010 - on March 6th??

Feck me, for most of my supporting life we have won LESS games than any other club.

We are now playing decent football, are still in with as much chance tonight of promotopn as we were yesterday, alright with one game less to catch those at the top.

But this could be just the kick up the arse after two dreamland games the players need.

Losing ain't fun, ever, but it happens, and often when you least expect it.

You'd think the way people talk that we had some sort of 'endemic' problem that needed solving. We don't. We need to keep building and getting better - everything I've sees says we are, even when we occasionnally get it wrong.

Was a poor game all round really, very little quality shown by either side. However ref was appauling, their pen was a joke, their guy went for an overhead kick and comehow came away with a pen??! One of their defenders push one of ours full 2 hands in the back in their box nothing was given. Lambert was winning headers all day but was getting fouls called against him for something, I think the ref should go back to taking charge of basketball games. But tbf we did little to deserve a win, but certainly didnt deserve to loose. 2-1 to the ref.

As usual this thread has been spoilt by the usual suspects who were not at the game.

Saints should have won this game easily and dominated large periods of the game without having an luck in front of goal. I thought Barnard played well and looked our most dangerous forward and found it strange he was subbed. Lallana also played well but Puncheon had an off day.

The ref!!! not sure how to describe him? i've seen some poor refs in this league but this was he worst ever i've seen. He awarded a soft free kick for their 1st goal, missed a blatent push on Barnard right in front of him, allowed ther keeper to pick up a pass back in the 2nd half, and you just knew he would top it off with a lte dodgy penalty for the home team. I expected him to send a Saints player off as well as it was the only thing he orgotten to do against Saints. I'm not sure anyone can be that bad so can only prsunme he is a cheat.

Had an interesting pub crawl around Rock Ferry before the game which will stay in my memory for a while.

Was a poor game all round really, very little quality shown by either side. However ref was appauling, their pen was a joke, their guy went for an overhead kick and comehow came away with a pen??! One of their defenders push one of ours full 2 hands in the back in their box nothing was given. Lambert was winning headers all day but was getting fouls called against him for something, I think the ref should go back to taking charge of basketball games. But tbf we did little to deserve a win, but certainly didnt deserve to loose. 2-1 to the ref.

Yep this was exactly how I saw it too. Tranmere player went for an overhead kick and completely fluffed it, ending up on his backside with no contact from a single Saints player that I could see, and the ref gave them a penalty for it. Then a few minutes later Fonte clearly had his legs taken from under him by their defender and he got booked for diving. Utterly ridiculous referreeing.

We didn't really do enough to deserve to win, even though on the few occasions we did get the ball down and play possession we were a class above Tranmere, but it seemed like every Saints player struggled to control the ball all afternoon and always needed an extra touch which gave Tranmere the time to close us down. Our long ball tactics didn't work and IMO AP left it far too late to bring on Antonio and Waigo cos they hardly had any time to make any impact on the game.

Tranmere lacked any real quality and it's easy to see why they are where they are in the league. They didn't look likely to score from open play, but they closed down the midfield and denied Saints the opportunity to play our normal game. They obviously did their homework on us so fair play to them - they worked harder than we did and got a massive, massive slice of luck with the referreeing decisions.

Yep this was exactly how I saw it too. Tranmere player went for an overhead kick and completely fluffed it, ending up on his backside with no contact from a single Saints player that I could see, and the ref gave them a penalty for it. Then a few minutes later Fonte clearly had his legs taken from under him by their defender and he got booked for diving. Utterly ridiculous referreeing.

That's just as I saw it too.

In fairness to Tranmere they pressed the ball well. I was not sure they could do it for 90 minutes, but they got every decision going from the most inept referee I have seen for a very very long time.

By the way - Davis made a save at 1-1 when the linesman called for a foul - ref played on even though almost everyone had stopped & they had a shot. Top top class save.

4 incidents in the 2nd half he got wrong. Both pen shouts. The foul on Barnard as Broomes held him off - then he back passed to the keeper who picked it up.

If Mr Quinn ever refs again it will be a disgrace to the integrity of the game!

First thing first - The Fonte 'penalty' was a blatant dive born out of frustration at being denied a blatant earlier pen with the two handed shove on Barnard and the failure to award a free kick and send off their centre half when he man handled the Barnard to the floor. I had a great view of the Fonte one and honestly it was embarrassing.

That said, the ref was a total gobsheen and really had as much of a clue as those tosser police and stewards for allowing a Pompey fan and his local scrote allies to sit there winding our fans up. The inevitable happened and about 4 of theirs and a few of ours were ejected so some inbred can wave his poopey flag around.

Pees poor atmosphere as their fans were so few and quiet but at least I only had to go 30 mins down the road to get away from the placky scouse burstards.

In fairness to Tranmere they pressed the ball well. I was not sure they could do it for 90 minutes, but they got every decision going from the most inept referee I have seen for a very very long time.

By the way - Davis made a save at 1-1 when the linesman called for a foul - ref played on even though almost everyone had stopped & they had a shot. Top top class save.

4 incidents in the 2nd half he got wrong. Both pen shouts. The foul on Barnard as Broomes held him off - then he back passed to the keeper who picked it up.

If Mr Quinn ever refs again it will be a disgrace to the integrity of the game!

I think he might have taken exception to some Saints fans singing "You're too short to referee" and "The referee's a midget".

We didn't really do enough to deserve to win, even though on the few occasions we did get the ball down and play possession we were a class above Tranmere, but it seemed like every Saints player struggled to control the ball all afternoon and always needed an extra touch which gave Tranmere the time to close us down. Our long ball tactics didn't work and IMO AP left it far too late to bring on Antonio and Waigo cos they hardly had any time to make any impact on the game.

Tranmere lacked any real quality and it's easy to see why they are where they are in the league. They didn't look likely to score from open play, but they closed down the midfield and denied Saints the opportunity to play our normal game. They obviously did their homework on us so fair play to them - they worked harder than we did and got a massive, massive slice of luck with the referreeing decisions.

They have have had an eleven day break since their last game, may have something to do with it.

First thing first - The Fonte 'penalty' was a blatant dive born out of frustration at being denied a blatant earlier pen with the two handed shove on Barnard and the failure to award a free kick and send off their centre half when he man handled the Barnard to the floor. I had a great view of the Fonte one and honestly it was embarrassing.

I couldnt agree more. He deserved that yellow. But I'll go a step further and say I dont think Banards one was either. We are all frustrated but if they had been awarded against us I dont think we would have liked it. The ref didnt have a good game but blatant cheating by Saints players doesnt make it right either. Simply put we were not good enough today and got what we desrved.

Thankyou to people who have posted thier report's and view's after attending the game,. It gives those of us who didn't go a variation of oppinion's.

Keep it up.

On a side note, can we have a linked thread for reaction's to the report's ( half of this thread is cluttered with petty snipeing by people who have written interesting post's in the past so are not just bum nugget's what don't know no better) as it would make the report thread a better read.

I couldnt agree more. He deserved that yellow. But I'll go a step further and say I dont think Banards one was either. We are all frustrated but if they had been awarded against us I dont think we would have liked it. The ref didnt have a good game but blatant cheating by Saints players doesnt make it right either. Simply put we were not good enough today and got what we desrved.

Well that's football for you,even people at the same match have wildly differing ideas about the penalty desicions.

TBF - if a couple of desicions had gone our way and we ground out a result would the usual suspects still be on here spouting of their usual virtiolic nonsense and air of I told you so blah blah fcking blah

You all paint such a black and white picture of football FFS - well guess what...........

Having been back a while now and given my opinions on the Echo site (where it cost nowt all day as many posts as you want!) here's my 5 pennyworth!

The team was effective as a unit.

Were undone by an early goal - dubious free kick?

Got back in it and should have gone in ahead.

Came out second half all guns blazing - but the ref gave them very little in the way of free kicks or decisions on 50/50s.

I thought we got lucky when caught on the break and Kelvin made a super save to keep us in it. We had a blantant penalty waved away when Barnard was clearly pushed in the back - and yet he gives one at the other end!

Not sure about the Fonte penalty shout - too incensed by the then.

Talking from years of experience - it hurt the players. I have never seen a team approach a ref on the final whistle like that for a long time - they were livid...

Said it before and will say it again - I really enjoy my awaydays in this league, and as long as we play with passion and desire League 1 will do for me. Cheap tickets in plentiful supply, decent pubs close to the ground with "nice" staff and no plastics. It's almost like what I remember following Saints used to be all about except at a less intense level.

I'd expect Pardew to keep his job until December 2010 - but if we are not top and romping away in League 1 by then I expect there to be a reaction at the top. We have a great squad, some fantatstic individuals and a great patient fan base.

Going places? Yeah that will be Hartlepool, Wallsall and Carlisle - and I can't wait!

I knew it would be "one of those days" the minute the skates won, and then the **** of a ref that totally ruined the game. He is the worst ref I've ever seen. The 1st goal was not a free kick. Even the lino didn't raise his flag and he was right on top of the so called foul. I can handle losing fair and square, but today took the p**S. Tranmere didn't deserve the win, and If you thought Colchester were bad with their time wasting tactics and blatant fouls, then this lot took it to another level. I'm looking forward to seeing their pen as well.

Again, before the usual "bad loser, can't blame the ref brigade" start it was truly a shocking display by that midget ***** ref. Barnard was pushed in the box, it was as clear as a bell. I don't blame the lads today. We didn't play that well or bad but it was just one of those days.

Just back and very disappointed. Didnt expect another 5 goal feast but thought we would have come away with a deserved point. The worst ref I have seen in over 45 years and should never be allowed to referee again. Barnard worked hard today, but most of the rest of the team including Morgan were a bit lacklustre. Liked the way at the end of the game the Saints players did a Bridge and shook the hands of the linesmen but completely ignored the referee except for Kelvin. Tranmere is not a lucky ground for us at least we werent 3-0 up at ht this time.

That referee was terrible, he didn't have a hold of the game at all and disrupted the flow of the game every thrirty seconds blowing his whistle for nothing challenges.

We where crap though, lost the game in midfield. Lallana and Puncheon where both rubbish, should have taken one of them off far sooner it just wasn't working out for them. Even our set pieces where shocking, just nothing came off for us all day, it was the complete opposite of the Huddersfield game.

Was Dan Harding taken off injured? I really hope not he's probably been our most consistent performer this season.

Davis and Barnard where the only two players who played anywhere near their best, not sure why we took off Barnard would have preffered to see Puncheon and Lallana come off instead.

The only positive was the clear roads for the drive back.

That referee was terrible, he didn't have a hold of the game at all and disrupted the flow of the game every thrirty seconds blowing his whistle for nothing challenges.

We where crap though, lost the game in midfield. Lallana and Puncheon where both rubbish, should have taken one of them off far sooner it just wasn't working out for them. Even our set pieces where shocking, just nothing came off for us all day, it was the complete opposite of the Huddersfield game.

Was Dan Harding taken off injured? I really hope not he's probably been our most consistent performer this season.

Davis and Barnard where the only two players who played anywhere near their best, not sure why we took off Barnard would have preffered to see Puncheon and Lallana come off instead.

The only positive was the clear roads for the drive back.

Harding was taken off for 3 or 4 reasons which AP wants to keep to himself,

his words not mine. They must have been good though or at least I hope they are as the Chairman will probably want to hear them.