Sunday Roast

Thorpe-le-Saint

A good thread for a Sunday this one:

As the missus is making one today, it got me thinking: What makes the BEST roast dinner? IMO, there has to be a few essentials:

Roast Potatoes (at least 3)

Yorkshire Puds

Carrots

Any type of meat based gravy

Sage and Onion stuffing (depending on the meat choice obviously)

A pint of cider to wash it down with.

Now meat, is a tricky one: Personally I prefer beef

Oh you just have to have carrot and swede mash with lots of black pepper.

And brussel sprouts but only so you can make bubble and squeak the next day :)

If it's lamb then it has to be with new potatoes (preferably jerseys) and sh*t loads of runner beans - remembering to mix the mint sauce in with gravy.

Oh my stomach's rumbling now!

Were having a nice leg of Lamb today, got to be roast spuds loads of runner beans, carrots, Yorkshire puddings are a must no matter what the meat & lashings of gravy with the meat stock.

Sorry BTF I can't stand Sprouts I can smell a Brussel sprout a mile off turns my stomach!

Nor can I UNLESS they're in Bubble and Squeak bizarrely!

One of my daughters just loves cold left over sprouts!

You should only have Yorkshire puddings with beef! And proper Yorkshire puddings are thick and stodgy not the airy, fairy risen to stupid heights ****ers everybody seems to cook these days! Oh and don't bother with the gravy unless its made with the roasting juices, it also should'nt be the viscosity of sick, more like light oil!!!!!!

Roast spuds (Roosters are best nowadays)

Cauliflower

Cabbage

Carrots

Brocolli

Brussels Sprouts (copious amounts please)

Swede (mashed with butter and black peper)

Garden Peas

Then, in order of preference:

Chicken breast, stuffed and wrapped with smoked bacon

Beef

Lamb

Gammon

Gravy made with a mixture of roasting juices and the veg water with a little browning to thicken (not too glutinous though!)

Roast potatoes, roast parsnips, brussel sprouts (acomppanied with crispy bacon), carrot & swede mash, yorkshire puddings all essentials IMO.

As for meat, Roast Beef is the best (Med Rare), but we recently did roast pork and Mrs JB did a cider gravy....awesome.

Edited by Johnny Bognor

Roast lamb, pork or chicken, not a fan of beef. Pork crackling has to be very crackly!!!

Swede and carrot mash (with butter and pepper)

Roast pots (roasted in goose fat)

Garden peas

Cauli & Broc

Runner beans

Sprouts

Gravy made with meat juices

Bread/mint/apple sauce depending on meat - oh and mustard.

I love a plateful of 'christmas dinner' veggies with lots of gravy. Is bread sauce only allowed at christmas? Accompanied by a mushroom & cheese bake = lovely. And no hours spent scraping animal fat of all the cooking stuff!

I find veg abhorrent, so my sunday roast is normally

Roast Pork with crackling

Mash

Yorkshire puds

stuffing balls

pigs in blankets (party sausages wrapped in bacon)

roast potatoes

thick gravy made from the pork juice, and an OXO cube.

Normally that every week, with the meat changing to beef, lamb, turkey or chicken. Might try a three bird roast at some point.

Roast potatoes, roast parsnips, brussel sprouts (acomppanied with crispy bacon), carrot & swede mash, yorkshire puddings all essentials IMO.

As for meat, Roast Beef is the best (Med Rare), but we recently did roast pork and mrs bognor did a cider gravy....awesome.

My god, she'd be mortified.

I find veg abhorrent, so my sunday roast is normally

Roast Pork with crackling

Mash

Yorkshire puds

stuffing balls

pigs in blankets (party sausages wrapped in bacon)

roast potatoes

thick gravy made from the pork juice, and an OXO cube.

Normally that every week, with the meat changing to beef, lamb, turkey or chicken. Might try a three bird roast at some point.

try googling that ;)

oh, and I like a nice light cheese sauce poured over broccoli and cauli to go with the abovementioned roasts, other than that nothing to add except to allow plenty of slobbing-around time afterwards. Mmmmmmmm, roast.....

Can I just add to the three people above who mentioned carrot & swede mash. I am thinking baby food, the best way to do it is grate the carrot & swede in a magimix add orange juice and bake it with breadcrumbs on top, now that is beautifuuuuuuuuuul.

Oh you just have to have carrot and swede mash with lots of black pepper.

We call this combination Southern Clapshot....

I too am intrigued by Dog's suggestion. If I hadn't just filled up on roast chicken with all the trimmings (including broccoli and sprouts) I'd be digging out the magimix now....

Before I go, what are people's opinions of boiled potatoes? Personally I hate them. Potatoes have to be roasted, mashed or chipped; boiled is a lazy half arsed way to serve potatoes. Imo of course.

Roast Beef (red not overcooked) with a touch of English Mustard

Roast Potatoes cooked in oil and the meat juice sprinkled with a bit of paprica

Yorkshire Pudding

Sprouts or Greens, Cauliflower or Broccoli, Sweed mashed with Flora Active & Black Pepper, Runner Beans, Chalots or Onion,

Gravy made with meat juices and greens water

Black Pepper

Before I go, what are people's opinions of boiled potatoes? Personally I hate them. Potatoes have to be roasted, mashed or chipped; boiled is a lazy half arsed way to serve potatoes. Imo of course.

New potatoes HAVE to be boiled, surely? Served with loads of butter.

We quite like 'old' potatoes boiled too, ready for smashing down with a fork and soaked in gravy.

Mmmmmm

Beef

8 Potatoes Roasted in Goose fat with rosemary sprinkled over them

2 Yorkshire Puddings

Roast Parsnips

Honey Roasted Carrots

2 Stuffing Balls

Swede

Peas

The Gravy

The recovery position until 8ish then a couple of slices of Vienetta

Mint or original.

New potatoes HAVE to be boiled, surely? Served with loads of butter.

We quite like 'old' potatoes boiled too, ready for smashing down with a fork and soaked in gravy.

Mmmmmm

New Jersey Royals boiled with a sprig of mint and served steaming with butter (or flora active) and a sprinkle of parsley

I had Fish & Chips today...

But deffo Beef Roasties, Sprouts, Parsnips, Yorkshire Pud, Very Young & Tender Peas and critically with Beef

Colemans English Mustard.

Recently did a Roast Loin of Pork for a change (really not easy getting good crackling from the frozen pork down here, followed the flash sear the meat in a pan first then slow roast in the oven trick I saw on the telly.

(Finely chopped garlic added to hot extra virgin oil sprinkled with Oregano & Herbs de Provence before adding the meat and frying off the outside)

I love crackling with a leg of Pork but that meat was something else, best way to do Pork that's for sure.

We need a Cooking Forum

Recently did a Roast Loin of Pork for a change (really not easy getting good crackling from the frozen pork down here, followed the flash sear the meat in a pan first then slow roast in the oven trick I saw on the telly.

(Finely chopped garlic added to hot extra virgin oil sprinkled with Oregano & Herbs de Provence before adding the meat and frying off the outside)

I love crackling with a leg of Pork but that meat was something else, best way to do Pork that's for sure.

We need a Cooking Forum

Hmmm slow roast pork is fantastic if no-one has tried it. You need fatty piece of pork to do it otherwise it will be too dry, try covering it in fennel seeds, crushed dried chilli flakes, garlic and olive oil. As DP says, sear the outside and then slow roast at lowest heat for at least 6 hours.

Beef & lamb are both good - beef has to have horseradish sauce and I can't be doing with mint sauce on the lamb though.

Venison,Sprouts,Roast Parsnips(basted in honey),Roast Potatos,Green Beans,Kale,Cauliflower cheese,Leeks,Carrots and swede mashed with copius amounts of black pepper.

Bread sauce(yes i know it should be with paultry but it is gorgeous) and Lemon and Thyme stuffing,this has to be roasted in balls until very crispy.

Proper gravy made from the jus of the meat.

New Jersey Royals boiled with a sprig of mint and served steaming with butter (or flora active) and a sprinkle of parsley

Jerseys are overated, especially now because they're no longer fertilised with seaweed so are tasteless. Lincolnshire new potatoes are much nicer.

Venison,Sprouts,Roast Parsnips(basted in honey),Roast Potatos,Green Beans,Kale,Cauliflower cheese,Leeks,Carrots and swede mashed with copius amounts of black pepper.

Bread sauce(yes i know it should be with paultry but it is gorgeous) and Lemon and Thyme stuffing,this has to be roasted in balls until very crispy.

Proper gravy made from the jus of the meat.

I wouldn't want to sleep with you tonight.

But you don't like lamb, so why did you try it knowing that you don't like lamb, have you eaten a chicken burger lately?

Not keen on lamb, i will eat it, but i find it too greasy and don't really like the taste much either. Not eaten a chicken burger recently.

Meat: Chicken or Beef. Pork on the side as you do need Sausages wrapped in Bacon! Lamb is a no, slightly too fatty.

Veg: Roasties

Crispy Parsnips

Carrots

Brussels

Red Onion

It must have a Yorkshire Pudding. lovely and crunchy.

Beautiful!!