Tracking Cookies

bpsaint

Bit of advice please guys,

On a daily basis now Norton is picking up anything up to 24 tracking cookies. I know roughly what they are but how are they getting on my computer? I'm not visting any other sites than the ones I usually do but recently the amount Norton finds has gone up,massively. More so since I replaced the 09 edition with 10. Cheers

Best bit of advice you can get.....get rid of Norton its sh1te!!!!

AVG free versions have never let me down - run with Malwarebytes and Spybot does everything I need.

Has norton for years,never had a problem..

Easy to set up,easy to use...

AVG = poor software...

Just had a nasty problem. My internet addresses were being re-directed (both with Explorer and Chrome), couldn't update Spybot.

Decided to download Malwarebytes but prevented from connecting to site. Got a copy via another PC, ran it and it found 25 infections.

Everything is now OK.

Tracking cookies are a normal part of accessing the net. People often run away with the idea that tracking cookies are some kind of virus which must be got rid of. Sure you don't want them there, taking up space, but security programs like Norton, McAfee, Bullguard, etc... only add to the idea that tracking cookies are some kind of manifestation of evil that will possess your computer and make it attack you in the night when you are asleep. Tracking cookies may reveal your browser habits to interested parties, but they won't make your computer jump on you, or go bang.

So if you're really keen to see no more cookies, then set you browser to empty all temporary files and cookies upon closure. And Norton will suddenly find that there's very little out there to frighten you with.

For many users, I would never say get rid of Norton, et al, because they do perform a worthwhile task. But there are plenty of online personal computers that get along perfectly well without all that security paraphenalia, and they don't attract viruses like magnets. So let's not overhype the danger.

Has norton for years,never had a problem..

Easy to set up,easy to use...

AVG = poor software...

Complete rubbish...I have built hundreds of machines its my job and never had any issues with AVG. I have had to delete/remove Norton many times where its eating up all the CPU.

Many times I have had issues with Norton failing to stop trojans.

Last week a friends machine was handed to me that took over 25 minutes to boot up - then a further 25 to load up apps - I removed Norton and it worked straight away!

Why pay £25-40 a year for something that doesnt do the job when there is loads of free stuff far better??

Edited by Give it to Ron

norton eats cpu. Avoid/remove

As do all the all-encompassing security programs, SS. If a computer user is an experienced user, then of course I would encourage them to do without. But it depends on the user. Some people are probably better off with their PC running in treacle, but secure.

norton is pants, but AVG is resource hungry too. I use nothing but the windows firewall and run superantispyware once a month just to tidy things up. So long as you dont go opening strange looking links in emails and are careful with what you browse you should have no probs.

AVG 8.0 and SuperAntiSpyware haven't let me down yet. Had Norton before as well, came with a 6 month free trial with my laptop. Uninstalled it after about 2 weeks as it just took an age to load and was actually pretty ineffective against finding infections.

Guest Dark Sotonic Mills
i forgot to mention that I discovered a missive trojan problem when I changed over that Norton just didn't see.

Was this a message regarding the marriage of Helen and Paris or merely one of these...?

trojanhorse.gif

Got rid of Internet Explorer and started using Safari instead. Not only solved the problem but web browsing is noticeably much faster.

boooooo! ;)

you may find that things stop working, such as online forms. If you do want to get rid of IE then firefox or chrome are better bets.

Got rid of Internet Explorer and started using Safari instead. Not only solved the problem but web browsing is noticeably much faster.

Well it wouldn't have to do too much to be faster than IE. But wait for a few weeks. It'll slow up. As mentioned above, Mozilla Firefox is much better. Chrome is better, but a bit quirky, IMO.

• 2 weeks later...

I had several issues when I used to use Norton a few years ago, it brought my PC to an almost grinding halt and was also useless at finding viruses. I finally gave up with it when a particularly nasty trojan invaded my PC, I tried a few other AV programs (AVG being one of them) that also couldn't find it until I tried Kaspersky which did and removed it easily.

I've had Kaspersky since and my PC runs perfectly now. From time to time on the odd occasion when I run Spybot as a further check that finds nothing either when it often would find loads of crap when I had Norton.

Edited by Gigersaint

Even better is using CCleaner which clears out all cookies, temp files and gives Anti virus programs and Anti spyware nothing to find. It's free, does a lot of nice things safely and together with AVG is a pleasure to have on your computer.

You can download at Filehippo the latest version. ( top right hand side) Ensure to take a look at exactly what you want to clean up after installation before running. Also untick the Yahoo toolbar option on installation

http://www.filehippo.com/

Malwarebytes is highly recommended. A friend was infected by one of those 'Windows Antivirus 7.0' trojans that tells you you have all these infections and buy their software in order to fix them.

Tried to manually do it myself by renaming the infected file but the clever little bgugers had hook the exe call to their file so removing the file made Windows unusable.

In the end, bought MalwareBytes and had email correspondence with the support team who were extremely knowledgeable and quick to respond and cleaned the PC up.

Such good support that I also have it installed and purchased on my work laptop and home PCs now!