pay day loans

JustMike

As employers we regularly advance money to employees against future earnings - often for just this sort of sum & reason.

As long as you have holiday entitlement due the money is reasonably guaranteed to the employer it only entails a little trust & builds a good working relationship both ways.

Why not ask? Typically we deduct from the salary over two to three months depending on amount & circumstances.

I used quick quid :(

Sounds good ;)

"QuickQuid is helping hard-working Britons across the UK find a fast and convenient solution to immediate money needs from the privacy and convenience of home. Our same-day cash advances are a hassle-free solution to household bills, emergency expenses or short-term money needs. Apply today to benefit from our industry-leading cash advance services.: "

I'm with the general consensus here, which is to avoid those loans like the plague. The interest rates are punitive, a credit card would be way cheaper even if you had to draw the cash on that and pay the cash advance fee. And the nice friendly people helping you out suddenly get a little aggressive when it comes to paying them back.... If you really cant raise the money before payday, or the garage wont defer paying them til then, cant you borrow a car from a mate or something?

I saw the advert for "Quick Quid" the other day in between Top Gear repeats on Dave. Couldn't believe the APR - 2356%!!!!

At the risk of getting political - is there where Mr Brown and Mr Darling have been getting money from?

In short - Speak to your bank and explain the situation. They are usually pretty good and will arrange a short term loan at much better rates than these con-artists you see advertised on TV!

OOO

I saw the advert for "Quick Quid" the other day in between Top Gear repeats on Dave. Couldn't believe the APR - 2356%!!!!

At the risk of getting political - is there where Mr Brown and Mr Darling have been getting money from?

In short - Speak to your bank and explain the situation. They are usually pretty good and will arrange a short term loan at much better rates than these con-artists you see advertised on TV!

OOO

Would be my advice too. Speak to the bank about a short term overdraft facility.

Or failing that, see if your employer can help as Dronskisaint suggested

What car is it?

its a renault scenic mpv thing

An old wreck by the sound of it :D

yes, i hate it with a passion but it gets me from A TO B ...well it used too

I was expecting that reply but still laughed (does that make me bad?)

JM, Perhaps you could phone round the scrap merchants for a replacement clutch, that may bring the price down a bit.

I was on my way home from town when it went, luckily right outside HI Q garage. Its them that quoted £400. Its not drivable at the moment so if i want somewhere else to fix it i would have to pay for a tow too.

Would be my advice too. Speak to the bank about a short term overdraft facility.

Or failing that, see if your employer can help as Dronskisaint suggested

yes im definitely going to avoid the pay day loan things.

See, isnt this forum great :-)

Could you not foot the bill on a credit card ?? Much much smaller interest rates than those pay day loan sites.

Theres always another way mate, unless you are really really stuck don't do it.

yes, am not going to touch them at all mate, rip offs the lot of them.

Not being funny but clutches don't often go all at once. Has it been slipping for awhile?

I noticed on sunday, driving back from London that it was making a strange noise, nothing too loud or drastic. Didnt drive anywhere Monday and then yesterday had to drive to pick kids up, noise was still there and just thought I would take it to garage to get it looked at. 10 mins later I am struggling to find a gear.

The guy in the garage said it was the bearing slipping through the clutch plate thing. So a new clutch and cable is the upshot of it

The problem i have is that it is un-drivable so i have no choice but to let Hi - Q do it. Have also phoned a couple of garages this morning and they are not too disimilar to what I have been quoted already. Just going to hav to get it done. Bloody cars!

I noticed on sunday, driving back from London that it was making a strange noise, nothing too loud or drastic. Didnt drive anywhere Monday and then yesterday had to drive to pick kids up, noise was still there and just thought I would take it to garage to get it looked at. 10 mins later I am struggling to find a gear.

The guy in the garage said it was the bearing slipping through the clutch plate thing. So a new clutch and cable is the upshot of it

Sounds like a collapsed thrust bearing siezing the mechanism up. Thrust bearings are dirt cheap but, to be honest, I'd get the plate changed when it was in bits anyway so you're not going to get ripped off. That's all that I had in mind.

Mike I still owe you for that lift last year that springboarded my comeback.

I have a bit of spare time tomorrow, if you want me to tow you (and car) to somewhere more affordable just ask mate.

And fwiw I used William Street Services for a few years and they were always; quick, helpful, fairpriced and friendly.

thanks everyone for offers of help and advice, just goes to show that we really have the greatest set of fans in the world ;-)

I have now got this sorted, yes Ponty, you were spot on, it was the bearing but also the plate was knackered too. Managed to get it £150 cheaper by buying the part myself and taking it to them, they werent too happy but after i said that id take it elsewhere they soon changed their mind.