Lee Barnard

Ian the Red

I believed AP's appointment to be a very good move; however I am left a little concerned by the treatment of Lee Barnard. Why is he constantly substitued? When he came on, on Saturday he made a huge difference. Last night he was one of a few that worked hard, got into great positions laid the ball off well and yet he was taken off. Why take off a proven goal scorer when we need to score when he is playing well and there were at least 6 other players who playing crap?? Why put on a player at half time and take him off 25 minutes later. AP got it wrong last night big time

I would not be surprised to see LB move on in the summer, AP obviously doesnt rate him. A big big lose if LB goes IMHO, he will score loads of goals.

Of course Pardew rates him, he has been a big success here so far and has already got 9 goals for us.

He was subbed last night because he was blowing on empty, we needed to try a bit more pace through the middle to open them up with Papa.

The thing about having a squad is being able to rotate it, very few players last the full match and play in every game.

I believed AP's appointment to be a very good move; however I am left a little concerned by the treatment of Lee Barnard. Why is he constantly substitued? When he came on, on Saturday he made a huge difference. Last night he was one of a few that worked hard, got into great positions laid the ball off well and yet he was taken off. Why take off a proven goal scorer when we need to score when he is playing well and there were at least 6 other players who playing crap?? Why put on a player at half time and take him off 25 minutes later. AP got it wrong last night big time

I would not be surprised to see LB move on in the summer, AP obviously doesnt rate him. A big big lose if LB goes IMHO, he will score loads of goals.

Any footballer will tell you the last 15 mins. of a game are the most energy-sapping. Yes LB did work hard by all accounts, but Oldham obviously had his mark and if he wasn't making any impact it's best to make changes and try something else.

At 0-0 HT, I couldn't wait to see Papa Waigo and Connolly put on. Its a squad game these days, (as Paul Wotton observed) and it's got nothing to do with " being popular with the manager ". More than a few people have commented that there are some games where even Ricky has been "anonymous" - not everyone can be 100% effective every game.

I think most players understand that - some fans don't.

I saw nothing wrong with that subbing..or the James one (discussed on another thread).

Most managers replace strikers during games it does not show that Pardew does not rate him.

That is the whole point of having a squad

Support strikers make a lot of high intensity sprints at an ever-decreasing rate as they become tired, we just swapped a tired one for a fresh one.

Lambert doesn't often get subbed because he's our only target man style player and he does less high-intensity sprinting so he doesn't get as worn out.

Support strikers make a lot of high intensity sprints at an ever-decreasing rate as they become tired, we just swapped a tired one for a fresh one.

Lambert doesn't often get subbed because he's our only target man style player and he does less high-intensity sprinting so he doesn't get as worn out.

You may have to break that down and explain it lay mans terms....Some of the posters do not go to football, know nothing of the great game and possibly don't even follow the Saints.;)

The little rascals:smt117

COYRs

an extra " nerdy" point.

prior to last night's match.. Lee Barnard had started 14 games for Saints...he has been subbed in 12 of them!

You make it sound like some earth-shattering decision that AP has suddenly made ...and that LB is going to get upset about .....:smt084

I was going to start my own Lee Barnard thread but you've saved me the bother. I think he is a very good footballer, and a key addition to our side. Not only is a fairly reliable goal poacher, he has a good touch on the ball and works harder than any other player in the team. Watch him go - his little face turns redder than a beetroot.

I like the 4-5-1/4-3-3 formation - but IMO you can't leave Barnard out - he offers too much. That said, it does suprise me why Pards subs him - although having worked so hard I wouldn't be suprised if he was knackered.

I was going to start my own Lee Barnard thread but you've saved me the bother. I think he is a very good footballer, and a key addition to our side. Not only is a fairly reliable goal poacher, he has a good touch on the ball and works harder than any other player in the team. Watch him go - his little face turns redder than a beetroot.

I like the 4-5-1/4-3-3 formation - but IMO you can't leave Barnard out - he offers too much. That said, it does suprise me why Pards subs him - although having worked so hard I wouldn't be suprised if he was knackered.

see stats above..post #8

.LB has been subbed 12 times from 14 starts. It's part of AP s regular strategy - and put out Papa Waigo or Connolly in the last 20 mins. I don't know why people are reacting to it NOW, when the same tactic has been used since he arrived in January.

Edited by david in sweden

I always feel a little sorry for the lad though as often he still looks fresh. Also its not just attackers that get tired, defenders do too - which he would benefit from if he stayed on.

Connelly or Barnard though. What a choice that is.

I always feel a little sorry for the lad though as often he still looks fresh. Also its not just attackers that get tired, defenders do too - which he would benefit from if he stayed on.

Connelly or Barnard though. What a choice that is.

True, but also probably the best argument for a fresh pair of legs.

I've thought Lambert has looked consistently worn out for as many home games as I can remember. I agree with you apart from that though!