Deer problems.

slickmick

Keeping deer out of the garden is perhaps one of the worst predicaments a gardener can find themselves facing. There are many deer deterrent and repellent products available, but many gardeners have been trying for years to come up with a homemade solution to this perplexing problem of deer control.

One of the best solutions to keeping deer out of the garden is to guide the deer away from the garden. I'll cite an example here. I had a garden not too long ago that seemed to be right in the path of the local deer population. The deer walked this path almost every night and as they were passing by, nibbled any green shoots that were in reach. I knew I had to come up with some kind of control for the deer fast or there simply wouldn't be a harvest from the garden. In checking out the surrounding area in the woods around the garden, I noticed that our neighbor had set out a new salt lick for the deer. The deer seemed to stray from their normal path for this new salt lick. I thought that if I could block off their normal path and set out salt licks quite a ways away from the garden, then maybe the deer would make a new path and bypass the garden on their nightly stroll. Well, this seemed to work well this last year. I'm really confident that it may work in the future, but only time will tell.

Some other suggestions for keeping deer out of the garden are listed below:

• Dogs are considered a top deterrent for keeping deer out of the garden, unless your dog is the type that lays there, raises an eyelid and basically gives anyone permission to travel across your property. Some training could be in order for your pooch, should you decide to go that route.
  • Fencing or netting off your garden can help to deter deer, but this can become costly depending on the size of your garden.
  • Some people have been known to pee, yes pee, around the garden and get successful results. I personally have tried this, very early in the morning, mind you. Had I been caught by my neighbors, they might not have thought highly of the idea. By the way, my results with this strategy failed.
  • There is a product on the market that works off the basis of deer not liking the smell of rotten eggs. So some people have let eggs rot and then placed them around the garden perimeter, with mixed results
  • We have several pet cats around the house. The deer do not approach the area around the house, ever. This is my personal observation, of course. I think it has to do with kitties using the flower beds and that's where the deer like to eat and well, you know. I can understand the deer's point of view there. One reason I guess to have cats in the garden.
  • Growing plants that deer are not particularly fond of can also deter the deer from around your garden.
  • Ivory and Irish Spring soap grated around the garden have also been tried to help deter deer, but the results were also mixed.
  • Coyote Urine, purchased at your local hunting supply, has also had pretty good results in deterring deer.
  • Scare tactics, like throwing rocks, spraying water, running after the deer through the woods like a mad man, yelling out wildly, can clearly convince the deer that you are quite off your rocker, and can possibly deter them until they believe you might be back on your meds.

Whatever deer control strategy you decide to use to keep deer out of your garden, please remember that you must change your strategy every so often, as deer will get used to the same things and be right back in the garden, munching on your precious plants.

http://www.bluegrassgardens.com/deer-control-in-the-garden.html

Keeping deer out of the garden is perhaps one of the worst predicaments a gardener can find themselves facing. There are many deer deterrent and repellent products available, but many gardeners have been trying for years to come up with a homemade solution to this perplexing problem of deer control.

One of the best solutions to keeping deer out of the garden is to guide the deer away from the garden. I'll cite an example here. I had a garden not too long ago that seemed to be right in the path of the local deer population. The deer walked this path almost every night and as they were passing by, nibbled any green shoots that were in reach. I knew I had to come up with some kind of control for the deer fast or there simply wouldn't be a harvest from the garden. In checking out the surrounding area in the woods around the garden, I noticed that our neighbor had set out a new salt lick for the deer. The deer seemed to stray from their normal path for this new salt lick. I thought that if I could block off their normal path and set out salt licks quite a ways away from the garden, then maybe the deer would make a new path and bypass the garden on their nightly stroll. Well, this seemed to work well this last year. I'm really confident that it may work in the future, but only time will tell.

Some other suggestions for keeping deer out of the garden are listed below:

• Dogs are considered a top deterrent for keeping deer out of the garden, unless your dog is the type that lays there, raises an eyelid and basically gives anyone permission to travel across your property. Some training could be in order for your pooch, should you decide to go that route.
  • Fencing or netting off your garden can help to deter deer, but this can become costly depending on the size of your garden.
  • Some people have been known to pee, yes pee, around the garden and get successful results. I personally have tried this, very early in the morning, mind you. Had I been caught by my neighbors, they might not have thought highly of the idea. By the way, my results with this strategy failed.
  • There is a product on the market that works off the basis of deer not liking the smell of rotten eggs. So some people have let eggs rot and then placed them around the garden perimeter, with mixed results
  • We have several pet cats around the house. The deer do not approach the area around the house, ever. This is my personal observation, of course. I think it has to do with kitties using the flower beds and that's where the deer like to eat and well, you know. I can understand the deer's point of view there. One reason I guess to have cats in the garden.
  • Growing plants that deer are not particularly fond of can also deter the deer from around your garden.
  • Ivory and Irish Spring soap grated around the garden have also been tried to help deter deer, but the results were also mixed.
  • Coyote Urine, purchased at your local hunting supply, has also had pretty good results in deterring deer.
  • Scare tactics, like throwing rocks, spraying water, running after the deer through the woods like a mad man, yelling out wildly, can clearly convince the deer that you are quite off your rocker, and can possibly deter them until they believe you might be back on your meds.

Whatever deer control strategy you decide to use to keep deer out of your garden, please remember that you must change your strategy every so often, as deer will get used to the same things and be right back in the garden, munching on your precious plants.

http://www.bluegrassgardens.com/deer-control-in-the-garden.html

Thanks for that, have tried the last one but they seemed to be getting used to me and don't seem so bothered anymore.

Thought I had got rid of them as they haven't been seen for the last 18 months, but this morning 2 of them were back and had eaten nearly everything by the time I got up.

These two were well manky looking things and leave sh1t everywhere.

My neighbour has put barbed wire along his side, but they jump really high.

Coyote urine ? Is that a wind up ?

Human hair

Get yourself down the local hairdressers & get your self a bag of the stuff.

Spread it around said garden & goodbye deers :smt039

Tried that aswell a few years ago.

I'm from your neck of the woods, the Deer are coming from the old nursery in Peters Road.

My mate had this problem and planted bamboo, closely, all around his property boundary.

Once established it proved effective. The bonus was that as the bamboo spread he was able to cultivate it and sell it.

Hhmm - we have shed loads of bamboo all round our garden, most of it is around 20ft tall, maybe we should think about making some money from it???

I shot a moose, once. I was hunting up-state New York, and I shot a moose, and I strap him on to the fender of my car, and I'm driving home along the west side highway, but what I didn't realize was, that the bullet did not penetrate the moose. It just creased the scalp, knocking him unconscious. And I'm driving through the Holland tunnel - the moose woke up. So I'm driving with a live moose on my fender. The moose is signaling for a turn, y'know. There's a law in New York state against driving with a conscious moose on your fender, tuesday, thursday and saturday. And I'm very panicky, and then it hits me: some friends of mine is having a costume party. I'll go, I'll take the moose, I'll ditch him at the party. It wouldn't be my responsibillity.

So I drive up to the party and I knock on the door. The moose is next to me. My host comes to the door. I say "Hello. You know the Solomons". We enter. The moose mingles. Did very well. Scored. Two guys were trying to sell him insurance for an hour and a half. Twelve o'clock comes - they give out prices for the best costume of the night. First price goes to the Burcowiches, a maried couple dressed as a moose. The moose comes in second. The moose is furious. He and the Burcowiches lock antlers in the living room. They knock each other unconscious. Now, I figured, is my chance. I grab the moose, strap him onto my fender, and shoot back to the roads, but - I got the Burcowiches. So I'm driving along with two jewish people on my fender, and there's a law in New York State ... tuesdays, thursdays and especially saturday.

The following morning the Burcowiches wake up in the woods, in a moose suit. Mr. Burcowich is shot, stuffed and mounted - at the New York Athletic Club, and the joke is on them, because it's restricted.

Ever been on the M4 between Junctions 11 and 10? You will notice that there are warning signs about deer. They live in three fields behind my house. There are about 20 of the feckers (Roe Deer) and this winter they've eaten everything at the front of the house. They don't get into the back garden because a 6' panel fence keeps them out. May I politely suggest investing in something similar. We've been here four years now. When the estate was being built they were nervous, now they seem to have got used to it, the dog doesn't chase them any more and they don't run at the first sight of humans. Some mornings its like the *****in Serengeti out there. Nuisance they may be but personally I find it enormously uplifting to see so much wildlife on the edge of a large built up area. the best I have seen on one half hour dog walk is 21 Roe Deer. 2 foxes, a Muntjac and a pair of Red Kites all at the same time. as we live close to the River Loddon this wildlife is often shrouded in low lying mist adding to the dramatic effect. Will get camera out over the weekend to see if I can get some good shots.

Ever been on the M4 between Junctions 11 and 10? You will notice that there are warning signs about deer. They live in three fields behind my house. There are about 20 of the feckers (Roe Deer) and this winter they've eaten everything at the front of the house. They don't get into the back garden because a 6' panel fence keeps them out. May I politely suggest investing in something similar. We've been here four years now. When the estate was being built they were nervous, now they seem to have got used to it, the dog doesn't chase them any more and they don't run at the first sight of humans. Some mornings its like the *****in Serengeti out there. Nuisance they may be but personally I find it enormously uplifting to see so much wildlife on the edge of a large built up area. the best I have seen on one half hour dog walk is 21 Roe Deer. 2 foxes, a Muntjac and a pair of Red Kites all at the same time. as we live close to the River Loddon this wildlife is often shrouded in low lying mist adding to the dramatic effect. Will get camera out over the weekend to see if I can get some good shots.

Mmm... much as that sounds idyllic, it's probably been their neighbourhood longer than yours. :)

Agreed with the 6ft wood panel though. It would cut people off from the wildlife having to see them.

I have had similar problems in the past and solved it by using "Punji traps". This involves sharp spikes hidden in pits which can easily disable deer. Often I deliberately contaminated the traps to increase the risk of infection, just in case the deer escaped.

I also got my family involved in helping defeat the deer. Each day, each member of the family had to dig 3 feet of tunnel a day. We then used the tunnels to jump out on the deer and scare them away. I once jumped out on a pair of deers and they were so surprised that they just froze with fear, giving me enough time to strangle them with some wire. I put my eldest boy in charge of deepening some of the tunnels and we used these as stores for supplies as we didn't know how long the battle with the deers was going to last. I remember one time my youngest daughter got very scared and was crying after hearing the sound of deer hooves above the tunnel she was in. She was reprimanded severely and sent out, armed only with a small knife, to confront her fears. She came back shaken, but with a slice of deer ear in her little hand.

I know what you're going through and wish you luck.

Hmm, lots of Shirley residents here! First turn left into Mayflower Road, ISTR. No deer but foxes, I think.

As a lover of venison I'm sure there must be a way of exploiting excess deer. Seeing as they don't have any natural predators we have to take that role.:-) If you take the train across to Chichester you'll always see plenty of deer. As for the rabbits...!

Good luck with the camera, would love to see some pictures.

Mmm... much as that sounds idyllic, it's probably been their neighbourhood longer than yours. :)

Agreed with the 6ft wood panel though. It would cut people off from the wildlife having to see them.

It does sound idyllic and you're right they have been there long before us, although numbers were more controlled when the land was a dairy farm. The builders told of some quite difficult problems with deer becoming trapped behind Harris fencing during their time on site. The odd thing is that this is no idyllic stretch of countryside. Yes there are these three fields but they are very much part of a suburban environment. To the south is the M4 to the north west is Lower Earley still one of the biggest housing estates anywhere. Winnersh itself is a linear settlement spread along the the A329 between Reading and Wokingham and if you look at the area on Google Earth it is not out in the sticks. What is really strange is that my folks lived in a house in Oliver's Battery for nearly 20 years overlooking wonderful Hampshire downland and I never saw the equivalent amount of wildlife there.

Used t-bags in a pair of ladies pantyhose, preferably unwashed as you get to sniff them as you load them with Punjani.

Human hair for foxes, t-bags and gusset odour for deer.