Touching Ted Bates

Stepgar

I was stood next to Ted today waiting for a mate who had our tickets and I was amazed to see how many people copped a quick feel off of Ted as they walked by. Most preassumably as a geture of good luck or superstition.

This got me thinking what do you do as a ritual or pre-match? What is it that you have go do before any game. I think there is a bit of OCD in all of us.

I was stood next to Ted today waiting for a mate who had our tickets and I was amazed to see how many people copped a quick feel off of Ted as they walked by. Most preassumably as a geture of good luck or superstition.

This got me thinking what do you do as a ritual or pre-match? What is it that you have go do before any game. I think there is a bit of OCD in all of us.

I did that once, last season, and we lost, so I haven't done it since.

When I was 15 I had a pair of 'lucky underpants' which I wore to every game.We won the FA Cup that year.

Obviously they have long since been discarded.May explain why we have not won the FA Cup since.

I only change my underpants when we lose. Had a few shady situations this season when we went on a good run. Still I've always done it since I was 17, old habits die hard.

If we ever have a bad run again, you could at least turn them inside out; another suggestion would be to purchase simulated tiger skin briefs they tend to conceal skid marks rather well.

Time allowing before a game I take a quick trip to visit Ted, and my paving stone nearby. I'm sure all it ever achieves is me getting the hump at herberts walking all over my lovely name.

Don't suppose I really thought that one through....!

WOW exactly the same routine as me, although I do always make sure I have time, to tap my paving stone 3 times and touch Teds toe with my left hand.

I all ways wave go Ted when I drive past,

y wife and kids roll their eyes!!!

Well I think it is great they do say he football is all about superstitions and all that hoodoo. I actully felt compelled to go and touch the great man foot and look......we won! Oh ****, what have I started. Have to go and touch his foot every game now!

I have a superstition I use during Saints games - I have a Matt Le Tissier Corinthian figure from 1995 that I hold as a good luck charm. When Saints are on the attack, I rub his nose. It's also a nervous thing - it takes my mind off the nervy moments and protects against nail-bitage.

Incidentally, of all eleven Saints games I've managed to get to this season, we lost the first (Bristol Rovers) when I didn't take him, and took him to all the rest, which we won all of except against Pompey.

Superstitions rule. I don't think you can count having to pop into Winchester services for a coffee, or the Royal Oak for a pre-match pint a superstition, but I do that too.

Every time my daughter and I pass the Statue we both say, 'Give Ted a wave'. And we do.

I have an IQ of 157 you know. Do you think I should be retested?

I have a superstition I use during Saints games - I have a Matt Le Tissier Corinthian figure from 1995 that I hold as a good luck charm. When Saints are on the attack, I rub his nose. It's also a nervous thing - it takes my mind off the nervy moments and protects against nail-bitage.

Incidentally, of all eleven Saints games I've managed to get to this season, we lost the first (Bristol Rovers) when I didn't take him, and took him to all the rest, which we won all of except against Pompey.

Superstitions rule. I don't think you can count having to pop into Winchester services for a coffee, or the Royal Oak for a pre-match pint a superstition, but I do that too.

The only superstition worth having is a pre match beer or three, makes even the worst games seem better.

I gave up "not wearing blue when we play Portsmouth" after this season's match - which I am mainly blaming on the blue dots on the flybe logo... (and ignoring the blue waves on the club badge).

Other than that, I like to see the kickoff if at all possible (and look what happened at Wycombe when I got there 15 mins late).

I've got some red and white plastic wrist bands, that I must wear when Saints are playing ( home or away ), but I can't put them on too early ( or else the luck runs out ) or too late ( or we'll start sluggish ) .

So, 9.00 for a 3.00 kick off, midday for an evening kick off and I even wake up at 5.30 for those midday games !!

I'm unbearable if they've " been moved ", blaming everyone and getting really panicky !! I'm 44 !!

I also make the kids sing "Alleluya" when we drive past St Marys and even turn back around to do it again if not loud enough !!

Every time I ride past the stadium I toot-toot the horn. I started doing this way back, days after the stadium first opened. The first time someone, behind the desk in reception, got up and waved back. It started my habit. Now I toot-toot to Ted.

I've got some red and white plastic wrist bands, that I must wear when Saints are playing ( home or away ), but I can't put them on too early ( or else the luck runs out ) or too late ( or we'll start sluggish ) .

So, 9.00 for a 3.00 kick off, midday for an evening kick off and I even wake up at 5.30 for those midday games !!

I'm unbearable if they've " been moved ", blaming everyone and getting really panicky !! I'm 44 !!

I also make the kids sing "Alleluya" when we drive past St Marys and even turn back around to do it again if not loud enough !!

Hmm, a trip to the local psychiatrist may be in order. :)

and we're off into "that always makes me laugh" territory...

But it DOES!! A genuine LOL once again. It never fails!

I actually make a point of not doing anything superstitious. Any time I have tried it, it always failed. Rubbing a saints key ring, wearing red and white, taking a lucky dump.....All total failures.

PS I don't think doing weather reports in the match day thread really counts, does it? :)

Edited by Ohio Saint