A Daily Echo Scoop! Right back to train with Saints over the Summer.

Matthew Le God

It has quotes and everything, like a real news story. Something they don't often do. Nor is it lifted from another paper or from the Saints OS like they normally do.

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/saints/news/8178915.Murty_hopeful_of_Saints_return___despite_being_released/

They actually thought it through. "Saints don't let us have interviews, Saints release players, lets interview one of the released players".

I doubt it will end with anything more than Murty training with Saints and medical team helping him with his injury until Bournemouth offer him a contract.

Edited by Matthew Le God

What I can't understand (still) is that IIRC Murty's contract was always Pay-as-you-Play, so we insured ourselves last season by that style of contract.

So why didn't we offer the same terms again this season?

If he overcomes injury and plays lots of games, great, it's a win/win situation.

If he struggles and is out injured, it's not costing us anything ... apart from physio time and space.

What I can't understand (still) is that IIRC Murty's contract was always Pay-as-you-Play, so we insured ourselves last season by that style of contract.

He is still injured. There is no guarantee that he will recover at all from this injury so would be daft to offer a contract.

If he overcomes injury and plays lots of games, great, it's a win/win situation.

If he struggles and is out injured, it's not costing us anything ... apart from physio time and space.

When people are on a pay as you play contract there is still a base amount they are paid. They then get extra pay dependent on if they actually play. So it's not a complete no risk thing.

not even PAYP?

If he don't play, we don't pay!

A pay as you play deal as explained above still pays a base rate with additional money for games played. It isn't as you seem to think £0 that week if you are injured and can't play. No-one in their right mind would accept job conditions like that!

If the player would have been on £4k p/w on a normal contract then on a pay as you play contract it might be £2k p/w base rate and another £2k p/w if he plays.

Murty would also require a wage from July 1st when a new contract would start until 7th August when the first game is.

He is still injured. There is no guarantee that he will recover at all from this injury so would be daft to offer a contract.

I think we all agree on that, but it's nice that Pardew hasn't closed the door totally and has offered GM the chance to train and do more rehab. work with SFC and " have another chat " later. Good idea AP, he hasn't just said ...sorry you're OOC, injured, or too old ..F. off !

For my part - if GM lost a stone, got fit and looked strong in pre-season, we could do worse than have him as a reserve ..

on some sort of contract..and it could be useful to have someone who might play a dozen good games next season

in emergencies - as Perry did this last year.

He is a good leader-type (like Kelvin) with tons of experience, and could help the younger "new squad signings" a lot.

If we don't re-sign him, there are several southern-based L1/L2 sides who would be glad to take him.

Edited by david in sweden

I think we all agree on that, but it's nice that Pardew hasn't closed the door totally and has offered GM the chance to train and do more rehab. work with SFC and " have another chat " later. Good idea AP, he hasn't just said ...sorry you're OOC, injured, or too old ..F. off !

For my part - if GM lost a stone, got fit and looked strong in pre-season, we could do worse than have him as a reserve ..

on some sort of contract..and it could be useful to have someone who might play a dozen good games next season

in emergencies - as Perry did this last year.

He is a good leader-type (like Kelvin) with tons of experience, and could help the younger "new squad signings" a lot.

If we don't re-sign him, there are several southern-based L1/L2 sides who would be glad to take him.

we should just let him go, its not like he was a loyal servant like Svensson, he's just another excaptain come to retire at saints

we should just let him go, its not like he was a loyal servant like Svensson, he's just another excaptain come to retire at saints

of course ..we have let him go ...and I would never compare him with M.Svensson..but my point was that players with his experience aren't easy to find and only IF...he got back to full fitness would AP be likely to want him as a reserve full back.

We still haven't got a genuine right back with James, Otsemobor and Thomas gone ..and even if Calderon proves to be the best overseas RB since Ivan Golac ..we have no cover for that position should he get injured.

As it is now I just hope he can get fit and find himself a club..but if AP is impressed with his pre-season (as offered) then we have part of the puzzle.