BMW: a car for complete nobbers...

.comsaint

Yes Steve - it would. Go for the new Audi A1 instead...or the new Golf GTI - both excellent cars with "nob-free" status attached! ;)

I don't know about that .comsaint. Apparently, Audi's are now the new nobbers car.

Agreed the Golf would be OK. Volkswagens couldn't possibly be for nobbers. But they might be for happy campers. ;)

Edited by St Landrew

Yes Steve - it would. Go for the new Audi A1 instead...or the new Golf GTI - both excellent cars with "nob-free" status attached! ;)

I don't about that .comsaint. Apparently, Audi's are now the new nobbers car.

Agreed the Golf would be OK. Volkswagens couldn't possibly be for nobbers. But they might be for happy campers. ;)

I was drawn to the 1series 1.8d ES. 140bhp, Ins Gp11 £35 a year tax and 50+mpg.

found a 55plate, 2 owners for £8k.

Also will never buy a Golf again........The A1 looks a bit Nissan Figaro to me.

I don't know about that .comsaint. Apparently, Audi's are now the new nobbers car...

Funny you should mention that StL my old mate. Over recent years - the number of A3 drivers that have cut me up/driven appallingly/totally disregarded other drivers has been nothing short of staggering!

Saying that - I was behind a brand new R8 Spyder the other day & that is one sexy beast! At £112,500 OTR (and that's the starting price) - it ought to be!

But yeah - Audi's - good cars that they are - are generally the new bellends car of choice. ;)

I was drawn to the 1series 1.8d ES. 140bhp, Ins Gp11 £35 a year tax and 50+mpg.

found a 55plate, 2 owners for £8k.

Also will never buy a Golf again........The A1 looks a bit Nissan Figaro to me.

Save - save a bit more - then add some further pennies for what is THE sexiest affordable small car on the market - bar none! ;)

http://www.ausmotive.com/2010/02/21/video-citroen-ds3-racing-in-action.html

If you're not worried about what people think of you, and why should you be, then get the 1 series. Rear wheel drive is where it's at.

Save up and get the 135iMSport though. It's the only one I'd have.

If you're not worried about what people think of you, and why should you be, then get the 1 series. Rear wheel drive is where it's at.

Save up and get the 135iMSport though. It's the only one I'd have.

Agree, my little brother has just got himself a new 123d M Sport Coupe. Lovely car, good performance and 60mpg (ish), good stuff!

They shouldn't make anything with an 'M' badge and a diesel engine.

Agreed, that's why I'd go for it. It's an in-line 6 cylinder petrol, but you knew that, you were talking about PB's brother's car.

Not cool. What makes a tractor-engined version cool when there are perfectly good V8 and V10 petrols available?

Who, that can afford to buy a $100,000 car, needs the frugality of a diesel? It's ****ing rubbish.

Not cool. What makes a tractor-engined version cool when there are perfectly good V8 and V10 petrols available?

Who, that can afford to buy a $100,000 car, needs the frugality of a diesel? It's ****ing rubbish.

Just a thought but maybe its because the diesel is faster and puts out more torque and power than either the V8 or V10?

Faster at the the ultimate end of the range, maybe. Do you think that's why that bird is driving it down the street though? No. The rich will buy the diesel because it says, "Hey, I'm rich and like to go fast but I also care about the environment." It's all bull****. If diesels are so great why aren't F1 cars kitted out with them? The biggest advantage is fuel economy (which is minimal at those specs anyway) and is why the Le Mans cars use them over their 24hr races.

Besides, who wants to change gear at 4000rpm.

Sorry, you may have some very salient points to support the use of diesel engines but I'll never change my viewpoint. They are dirty, smoky and noisy. Even today's relatively silent ones are poor in those respects when compared to modern petrols.

Is the Audi R8 Diesel and Alpina BMW as cool as the petrol variant - maybe not because in most high performance cars the petrol engine will give more driving pleasure. But to say that a well designed, fast car cant be be cool simply because its a diesel when you rave about many other 'lesser' petrol cars is blinkered imo. Many multi valve petrol engines have narrow power bands so the difference between them and a diesel isnt as great as you make out.

I know what I like and I know what I do and I think diesels still have a long way to go before they become as good as their petrol cousins. That's not to say they won't get there and I don't doubt the possibility that diesel will one day make its way into the ultimate motorsport but, for now, I'm going to continue to look down on them in "sports" cars.

They're perfectly acceptable in repmobiles, economy is their forté and no one expects excitement from a repmobile, but there is only one reason anyone would buy a car such as the R8 in the diesel version and that's to try and disguise their unenvironmental nature.

i just want something 1.8+ (get the most allowance at work per mile) that will do about 50mpg (get 25mpg out my current golf) and something that doesn't look like sh!t (was looking A3, GT TDI (prefer not to get another golf) and 1series) I have about £8k to spend.

Could join the rest of the world and get a Focus/Astra i suppose

i just want something 1.8+ (get the most allowance at work per mile) that will do about 50mpg (get 25mpg out my current golf) and something that doesn't look like sh!t (was looking A3, GT TDI (prefer not to get another golf) and 1series) I have about £8k to spend.

Could join the rest of the world and get a Focus/Astra i suppose

These are good.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201019359049103/sort/locasc/usedcars/fuel-type/diesel/price-from/6000/price-to/10000/body-type/coupe/maximum-mileage/up_to_60000_miles/model/407/make/peugeot/page/1/postcode/so143as/radius/1500?logcode=p

The old ‘BMW’ arrogant driver comments always make me laugh.

My logic on why people keep saying this is because these people actually take time to admire the cars and like to criticise the drivers as an act of jealousy. Let’s face it, do you honestly believe Ford Fiesta drivers are any different? I wonder how many of these’ critics’ admire Ford Fiesta’s and watch them until they make a driving mistake?

The truth is BMW’s are bloody excellent cars, they are admired by jealous people who love to criticise the drivers as it makes them feel better about the far in superior vehicle they are driving.

My logic on why people keep saying this is because these people actually take time to admire the cars and like to criticise the drivers as an act of jealousy. Let’s face it, do you honestly believe Ford Fiesta drivers are any different? I wonder how many of these’ critics’ admire Ford Fiesta’s and watch them until they make a driving mistake?

The truth is BMW’s are bloody excellent cars, they are admired by jealous people who love to criticise the drivers as it makes them feel better about the far in superior vehicle they are driving.

Lol. I hope for your sake thats tongue in cheek. If not I've got loads of ordinary stuff I can dress up as prestige and flog you.

Lol. I hope for your sake thats tongue in cheek. If not I've got loads of ordinary stuff I can dress up as prestige and flog you.

Actually no I am not.

I would call a Ford Focus or a Vauxhall Astra 'ordinary,' certainly wouldnt put a BMW in the same league.

For the record, as a previous owner of a Ford, Vauxhall, Audi, VW, Mercedes & BMW, I would put the BMW as the best car /drive and Mercedes well at the bottom!

I think BMWs are lovely cars.

It's just a shame the drivers are unable to use the stick on the steering column that makes the little orange lights flash on and off to show which way they are turning.

The Seat Ibiza is the same car as the forthcoming Audi A1 at a fraction of the price of an A1. Same chassis, engines etc. So why pay all the extra money for an Audi? Badge Snobbery?

The Seat Ibiza is the same car as the forthcoming Audi A1 at a fraction of the price of an A1. Same chassis, engines etc. So why pay all the extra money for an Audi? Badge Snobbery?

That's not quite true though is it. The Audi will have better quality finishes, sound proofing,,,hell, even the paint will be thicker! Hardly the same car

That's not quite true though is it. The Audi will have better quality finishes, sound proofing,,,hell, even the paint will be thicker! Hardly the same car

You do know that the A1 is built in Belgium (ie not Germany) on the same production line where some Ibiza's are built and some Audis are built in Spain?

You do know that the A1 is built in Belgium (ie not Germany) on the same production line where some Ibiza's are built and some Audis are built in Spain?

Exactly. I very much doubt that the paint is thicker on an Audi than on a Seat. The VW group are running the company in two halves these days. Under one banner you've got VW and Skoda, and under the other you've got Audi and Seat. They are keen to raise the profile of Seat outside mainland Europe and are making the cars more sporty and stylish to appeal to a younger audience.

The thing that convinced me to buy a Seat over an Audi was the level of service from the dealer. The two Audi dealers I visited were complete ****s. I was ignored, had to ask for help and then treated like I was a piece of **** on the salesman's shoe. The testdrive in an A3 lasted less than 10 mins and I did under 5 miles in the car. The Seat dealer lent me the car for 24 hours, didn't pressure me at all and made the whole process far more enjoyable. A rare thing in car sales these days.

I keep getting told my A3 sportback is just an over priced golf , but considering it looks totally different inside and out id say thats good enough.Also the service i get from Southampton Audi has always been 1st class and not to expensive (previous A3 had one service in the 3 years i owned it £160)

Exactly. I very much doubt that the paint is thicker on an Audi than on a Seat. The VW group are running the company in two halves these days. Under one banner you've got VW and Skoda, and under the other you've got Audi and Seat. They are keen to raise the profile of Seat outside mainland Europe and are making the cars more sporty and stylish to appeal to a younger audience.

The thing that convinced me to buy a Seat over an Audi was the level of service from the dealer. The two Audi dealers I visited were complete ****s. I was ignored, had to ask for help and then treated like I was a piece of **** on the salesman's shoe. The testdrive in an A3 lasted less than 10 mins and I did under 5 miles in the car. The Seat dealer lent me the car for 24 hours, didn't pressure me at all and made the whole process far more enjoyable. A rare thing in car sales these days.[/QUOToTE]

To be fair, I'm pretty sure that everyone has an example of bad service at a motor dealer. Southampton Audi were awful, and simply wren't interested in any sort of deal on a new A5. By contrast Heritage in Salisbury were superb from start to finish. My wife was looking for a new Golf a year ago. Peter Cooper in hedge End were shocking - you'd have thought we were doing them a favour. Heritage in Salisbury were fantastic.

I'm surprised that you'd make a choice as material as Audi or Seat (or CFord or VW) based on an experience at a couple of dealers. Sure, I wouldn't buy from that dealer, but would find one that was interested and who wanted my business and actually sold me the car I wanted. Sure, justify your purchase based on the fact that it was the car you wanted, not because you picked a couple of poor dealers.

Edited by Chin Strain