Offensive posting

Turkish

That's a matter of opinion rather than fact...

Anyway, happy modding and get well soon. I too have the man flu :-)

That's the trouble, anyone that's seen Brass Eye will have picked it up, a number of people haven't, and found the post offensive enough to report it.

There was nothing to suggest the post was parody or satire itself, or that it was being quoted from somewhere, and it obviously came across as though they were Hypo's own words to some people.

Basically, to put it in football terms, Hypo was probably trying to get the ball, but he went in with both feet, studs showing.

Unfortunately for you, Brass Eye is racist itself

Sorry, Jimmy, but this isn't a matter of interprative difference. Brass Eye is spoof, parody, comment on exactly the kind of reactionary rubbish that causes half the moral panics in the world. It is categorically not racist, it actively mocks racism and so on. Maybe irony isn't a strong point of yours, I don't know, but based on that view of it, I honestly can't believe you are best placed to pass judgement on things like this. Mods surely need to have some level of cultural awareness, emotional intelligence and a vague ability to understand meanings and messages that are relayed in a manner beyond the most simple? I mean, have you even seen the show? Do you not understand the social context within which it exists?

Of course I shall respect your position as a mod, and given the way in which the quote was used I do support the infraction. It wasn't made clear to anyone that it was a quote, and so can be punished as you say - a poor challenge, if innocently meant. But.. I am genuinely baffled by that comment.

The quote he used was from the 'cake' episode, and was used without the context of Brass Eye, and yes, it was racist.

I haven't said that racism is ok in The Muppet Show, I've suggested that discussing an extreme comedy show would be more appropriate in there.

As for Brass Eye's racism being ok in The Muppet Show, discussing that in context would be ok. Using the quote verbatim without context so that it could be described as racist itself still wouldn't be.

I hope this clears up my reasoning for you.

I don't like Hypo but this is ridiculous.

Who is Jimmy D anyway and why is he now a Mod? He comes across as a complete tool (maybe that explains it).

Maybe, Hypo, you are starting to see what I was getting at on my 'Mainboard' thread.

Sorry, Jimmy, but this isn't a matter of interprative difference. Brass Eye is spoof, parody, comment on exactly the kind of reactionary rubbish that causes half the moral panics in the world. It is categorically not racist, it actively mocks racism and so on. Maybe irony isn't a strong point of yours, I don't know, but based on that view of it, I honestly can't believe you are best placed to pass judgement on things like this. Mods surely need to have some level of cultural awareness, emotional intelligence and a vague ability to understand meanings and messages that are relayed in a manner beyond the most simple? I mean, have you even seen the show? Do you not understand the social context within which it exists?

Of course I shall respect your position as a mod, and given the way in which the quote was used I do support the infraction. It wasn't made clear to anyone that it was a quote, and so can be punished as you say - a poor challenge, if innocently meant. But.. I am genuinely baffled by that comment.

Sorry, yeah, I know, it's parodying it, point taken.

However, taken out of context, as it was used at the time, it's racist.

I know.

Jimmy, don't bow to these "people". I bet none of them would say what they're saying on here to your face. Stick to your guns - Hypo was racist and needed to be punished. He was punished and that was fair and we should all move on. Don't let Hypo turn this into a "woe is me" thread.

Well, after me explaining my position, some people seem to be, umm, accepting it?

I'll never be able to please everyone, so this'll have to do I guess.

Dont try to please anyone, that way no one will be disapointed, just look at Baj, he doesn't but is arguably the most successful moderator in forum history with a what? unbroken record of 7-8 years of moderating. He has become like that world weary teacher every school had and all the kids hated and his role has become a life sentance.

Well, after me explaining my position, some people seem to be, umm, accepting it?

I'll never be able to please everyone, so this'll have to do I guess.

Don't let the likes of Hypo, Robsk or Atticus bully you, Jimmy. You're doing a great job. You identified a racist post and acting on it, in accordance with SWF rules.

That's the trouble, anyone that's seen Brass Eye will have picked it up, a number of people haven't, and found the post offensive enough to report it.

There was nothing to suggest the post was parody or satire itself, or that it was being quoted from somewhere, and it obviously came across as though they were Hypo's own words to some people.

Basically, to put it in football terms, Hypo was probably trying to get the ball, but he went in with both feet, studs showing.

Like the analogy :-)

The 'difference of opinion' I was trying to highlight was not whether some people took it at face value compared to some who knew that it was a quote from a TV programme.

The difference of opinion I'm highlighting is how one then deals with the 'aftermath'.

One opinion is that you approach the person who made the remark and ask them whether they meant to make a racist remark and when they've explained let it go.

The other opinion is that you assume they meant it as a self authored racist remark and penalise it without prior consultation.

I run a forum and tend to take the more pragmatic 'benefit of the doubt' version of the above two approaches.

As I say, two different opinions as to how to moderate a message board. Both as valid as each other. Just depends what sort of relationship you want to forge with your regular users.

quote_icon.png Originally Posted by hypochondriac viewpost-right.png

It was a brass eye quote to poke fun at the people who were suggesting that drugs were not addictive. Admittedly I didn't make it as clear as I should have but then that would have ruined the point of posting it. Anyway I have explained the misunderstanding to the new mods so hopefully things will be sorted.quote_icon.png

I rest my case.

Although I didn't report Hypochondriacs post (and I have never reported any posts) I did find his post a little distasteful and racist. If he is happy posting racist comments then sobeit, but maybe he should try another forum where his views are more accepted?

http://www.ukdebate.co.uk/forums/index.php?board=47.0

if we're being that picky, you could equally say that posting a link to a racist site is in itself a racist comment. And hypo has made it clear that they arent his views, it was a quote from a satirical comedy show.

if we're being that picky, you could equally say that posting a link to a racist site is in itself a racist comment. And hypo has made it clear that they arent his views, it was a quote from a satirical comedy show.

What? Making reference to racist people and racost websites is in itself racist? I don't wish to get any infractions after my recent time on the sidelines, so you'll have to fill in the gaps here yourself - you are a **c**** id**t

Dont try to please anyone, that way no one will be disapointed, just look at Baj, he doesn't but is arguably the most successful moderator in forum history with a what? unbroken record of 7-8 years of moderating. He has become like that world weary teacher every school had and all the kids hated and his role has become a life sentance.

mr turkish, going back to page 1, i have just realised :facepalm: that a mate of mine has a nickname - turkish, and is a tall slaphead. i shall find out this weekend if he has his name on a saints shirt....exciting times

What? Making reference to racist people and racost websites is in itself racist? I don't wish to get any infractions after my recent time on the sidelines, so you'll have to fill in the gaps here yourself - you are a **c**** id**t

I said "if we're being that picky", then enlarged on that by pointing out that quoting a comedy show which satirises racism doesnt make the person quoting it a racist. Nor does saying so make me a **c**** id**t, I'm not the one that got banned.

Like the analogy :-)

The 'difference of opinion' I was trying to highlight was not whether some people took it at face value compared to some who knew that it was a quote from a TV programme.

The difference of opinion I'm highlighting is how one then deals with the 'aftermath'.

One opinion is that you approach the person who made the remark and ask them whether they meant to make a racist remark and when they've explained let it go.

The other opinion is that you assume they meant it as a self authored racist remark and penalise it without prior consultation.

I run a forum and tend to take the more pragmatic 'benefit of the doubt' version of the above two approaches.

As I say, two different opinions as to how to moderate a message board. Both as valid as each other. Just depends what sort of relationship you want to forge with your regular users.

I agree with this

I said "if we're being that picky", then enlarged on that by pointing out that quoting a comedy show which satirises racism doesnt make the person quoting it a racist. Nor does saying so make me a **c**** id**t, I'm not the one that got banned.

But posting a link to a racist website is racist? That's what you said - is that what you believe or are you going to admit it was a silly thing to say?

It was a quote. I should have made it more obvious that it was but then after I explained the situation it would have been nice if a little common sense were used rather than an arrogant response via pm. Still it doesn't really matter, but nice to see that a few can see my point of view even if they think I am a **** the majority of the time :)

mr turkish, going back to page 1, i have just realised :facepalm: that a mate of mine has a nickname - turkish, and is a tall slaphead. i shall find out this weekend if he has his name on a saints shirt....exciting times

Bugger, i go on holiday saturday so may have to wait over a week for the answer. I may cancel my trip......

That would work apart from the use of the word usually.

Fail.....

u·su·al (yoomacr.gifprime.gifzhoomacr.gif-schwa.gifl)

adj. 1. Commonly encountered, experienced, or observed: the usual summer heat.

2. Regularly or customarily used: ended the speech with the usual expressions of thanks.

3. In conformity with regular practice or procedure: Come at the usual time.

Source : http://www.thefreedictionary.com/usually

So? Usually means normally but with some exceptions. Usually a quote would have a source but sometimes (as in this case) I did not post it. Hopefully in the future I will employ a bit more common sense so you don't have to deal with something similar in the future. Hopefully.

I have edited it for you.

So? Usually means normally but with some exceptions. Usually a quote would have a source but sometimes (as in this case) I did not post it. Hopefully in the future you will employ a bit more common sense if you have to deal with something similar in the future. Hopefully.

temper-tantrum.jpg