Offensive posting

Turkish

God, it's all a bit f*cking serious this forum business, isn't it?? *sigh, eye rolly thing etc*

Not really, I just have little to do at work today and I don't want to get close to a ban over a misunderstanding. They won't change it now anyway but I'm hoping this isn't the new direction the mods are taking (and in fairness saint Clark has been decent so far.)

I appreciate the reason for the misunderstanding but since I have explained the situation I would have thought that a bit of common sense would be used and my infractions for being racist would be removed. Fair enough if you want to give me one for posting a pointless remark but that is totally different. On a separate point, can't say I have ever had a problem with mods before who from my experience have done a really good job and preferred to have a word before dishing out infractions.

Man up and stop crying

Not really, I just have little to do at work today and I don't want to get close to a ban over a misunderstanding. They won't change it now anyway but I'm hoping this isn't the new direction the mods are taking (and in fairness saint Clark has been decent so far.)

Why do you care if you're "banned" from using a forum? Who cares, life is too short and there is too much else to be concerned with!!

My 3 posts used up, ah well, chat in a few months.

Why do you care if you're "banned" from using a forum? Who cares, life is too short and there is too much else to be concerned with!!

My 3 posts used up, ah well, chat in a few months.

Because I happen to find (some) parts of the forum useful and interesting to use. Only this week Pancake sorted me out with a graphic which I really needed for my job. That's why.

So you've never needlessly reported anyone for anything hypochondriac? Someone ITK told me you reported people loads, for nothing more than the odd joke or insincere remark. I mean, yuo can't have it both ways!!

No I didn't and I'm fed up of people making that up. Steve Grant has already confirmed that this is not the case.

So you've never needlessly reported anyone for anything hypochondriac? Someone ITK told me you reported people loads, for nothing more than the odd joke or insincere remark. I mean, yuo can't have it both ways!!

Besides I have no problem with people reporting others, its refusing to change a stance after an error has been pointed out.

Oh well sorry hypo, only going with what I've been told.

Changing stance is difficult; Baj, SG and the new mods put a lot of work into this place for nothing in return, so constantly re-evaluating every decision can't really be expected of them - plus your intentions could have been misconstrued, thus making them racis (in the eyes of the receiver). if you say something racist, even if it's a joke, surely you can get an infraction? I could say something like that, get infracted, then point out why it was a joke or quote after, you know?

What DO you think is OK to report, then? because sometimes people get reported for something genuinely funny, but others don't for openly racist or homophobic things. Also abuse. I mean, if I called you a f*cking pr*ck, would you report me? Would you if Deppo did? It's a complicated area.

I totally agree with my infraction at the time. Now it has subsequently been shown to be a well known quote from Brass Eye, I would have thought they would quietly remove it. If someone reported me for because they assumed I was being racist then fair enough but I suspect it was because people believed I have been victimising deppo when this wasn't the case in any way. I would like to know who actually told you that about me constantly reporting people. If you can PM me it then It'll go no further and I can have a word with the person concerned. Thanks.

But the whole point is that we can all go back and explain things that were taken the wrong way, or say they were, and suggest what was actually meant. I could say about a picture of a black dog 'That looks like n!gger' - this would then be reported and infracted, and then I could say I was talking about the dog belonging to the dambusters squadron - called n!gger. Should the infraction then be removed? It can't work that way.

But the whole point is that we can all go back and explain things that were taken the wrong way, or say they were, and suggest what was actually meant. I could say about a picture of a black dog 'That looks like n!gger' - this would then be reported and infracted, and then I could say I was talking about the dog belonging to the dambusters squadron - called n!gger. Should the infraction then be removed? It can't work that way.

Well I've been on here for more than 7 years with no previous history of racism or indeed any infractions for anything other than when I have intentionally crossed a line. Oh well, I suppose some new mods may take a bit of getting used to.

You see my point about how justifying intentions doesn't matter, though. No-one can be expectd to rely too heavily on individual history if the rules are the same for everyone, either. And yes, the mods take getting used to and are still getting ued to things themselves, I'm sure.

And you're naughty for intentionally crossing lines, lol!!1

You'll have to ask certain people on here that. When someone takes delight in trying to get people banned on an internet forum then it says a lot about how pathetic they are, no names mentioned, they know who they are.

I agree, its a tad bit pathetic reporting someone on here for anything other than using something really personal to you (like posting up your address or pictures etc) which i don't think has ever happened.

Anything else is pretty pathetic to report, i also bet these same people would be near on crying if they themselves recieved infraction points. Its a shame, i don't get why people can't just use the ignore button and not press the report button instinctively.

I can hold my hand up and say i have never reported anyone and probably never will, i wonder how many others can do that ?

Well I've been on here for more than 7 years with no previous history of racism or indeed any infractions for anything other than when I have intentionally crossed a line. Oh well, I suppose some new mods may take a bit of getting used to.

This isn't my personal view, but I know others that have said this - people find you an irksome individual. I think (I can't be sure, because I don't follow this line of thought) it's because they say you ruin the main board with your arguements with Alpine Saint (when people say this to me I point out that Alpine doesn't really post anymore, maybe because he felt bullied by some individuals) and that you are apparently one of tose people who always says the forum was funnier in the past but never actually offer anything thats funny yourself. Like I say, this is just what I''ve heard and I don't believe it to be true.

Smirking - Well, I'm not entirely impressed by such a claim. Personally, outright racist, homophobic, ablist stuff etc should be reported and infracted, on top of eprsonal disclosures and so on. This site does, after all represent the club to an extent. I don't think it makes you a better person for never reporting anything; rather a worse one if you hold to that principle above anything else even if it's worth reporting. Like saying you've never told your kids off.. sometimes it's best to, even though within itself it;s not admirable.

Although if you are saying that many reports are just inane and stupid, overtly personal or petty, then I agree.

You see my point about how justifying intentions doesn't matter, though. No-one can be expectd to rely too heavily on individual history if the rules are the same for everyone, either. And yes, the mods take getting used to and are still getting ued to things themselves, I'm sure.

And you're naughty for intentionally crossing lines, lol!!1

Yes I take your point. I still think a bit of common sense should be used though and if you have a private word then things could get sorted. That's how it used to work with likes of DSM and a few others. Even Ponty would hold his hands up if he could see that something was not intended to be malicious.

Smirking - Well, I'm not entirely impressed by such a claim. Personally, outright racist, homophobic, ablist stuff etc should be reported and infracted, on top of eprsonal disclosures and so on. This site does, after all represent the club to an extent. I don't think it makes you a better person for never reporting anything; rather a worse one if you hold to that principle above anything else even if it's worth reporting. Like saying you've never told your kids off.. sometimes it's best to, even though within itself it;s not admirable.

Although if you are saying that many reports are just inane and stupid, overtly personal or petty, then I agree.

Much worse is said in pubs and in the terraces though Robsk, and that is in the public domain with little or no comeback.

I do agree though, racism, homophobic and what not will be dealt with and tbh it is mostly the mods that crack down on this and fair enough. But then have you never s******ed at a joke about englishmen, irishmen and scotsmen ? Its a hard nut to crack, probably because it is all online for the world to see its best that this stuff is removed.

I still like Saint_Clarks idea of making all infractions public.

But yes, a lot of reports are pretty stupid, maybe personal and probably petty. Some people just need to click ignore if they don't like someone.

This isn't my personal view, but I know others that have said this - people find you an irksome individual. I think (I can't be sure, because I don't follow this line of thought) it's because they say you ruin the main board with your arguements with Alpine Saint (when people say this to me I point out that Alpine doesn't really post anymore, maybe because he felt bullied by some individuals) and that you are apparently one of tose people who always says the forum was funnier in the past but never actually offer anything thats funny yourself. Like I say, this is just what I''ve heard and I don't believe it to be true.

I really dislike him cos I got infracted for calling him a woman, which he reported.

Much worse is said in pubs and in the terraces though Robsk, and that is in the public domain with little or no comeback.

I do agree though, racism, homophobic and what not will be dealt with and tbh it is mostly the mods that crack down on this and fair enough. But then have you never s******ed at a joke about englishmen, irishmen and scotsmen ? Its a hard nut to crack, probably because it is all online for the world to see its best that this stuff is removed.

I still like Saint_Clarks idea of making all infractions public.

But yes, a lot of reports are pretty stupid, maybe personal and probably petty. Some people just need to click ignore if they don't like someone.

I also think the issue is what people perceive to be racist or homophobic. A lot of the time the problem isn't with the original statement, it is to do with the perceived intention of that statement by the person being offended. For instance, in Scrubs, JD calls Turk 'Brown bear'. Is that racist? some will say yes, and some will say no, but if you watch the program there isn't even the slightest thought that it could be racist.

Difficult subject as how offensive a statement can be is judged with the eye of the beholder.

Agreed, of course plenty is said elsewhere. But if the club is involved, it can;t be seen to be attached, and to be honest, that doesn't mean the people concerned aren't idiots IMO.

And also agreed that you can ignore. First and foremost people should try to sort stuff themselves, ignore or whatever, unless it's something that should be generally challenged, and thent ake to mods only after these steps.

Agreed, of course plenty is said elsewhere. But if the club is involved, it can;t be seen to be attached, and to be honest, that doesn't mean the people concerned aren't idiots IMO.

And also agreed that you can ignore. First and foremost people should try to sort stuff themselves, ignore or whatever, unless it's something that should be generally challenged, and thent ake to mods only after these steps.

Also, this forum is open to all. It used to be a lot less strict but now it is more popular so it is right that it is moderated.

I agree, its a tad bit pathetic reporting someone on here for anything other than using something really personal to you (like posting up your address or pictures etc) which i don't think has ever happened.

Anything else is pretty pathetic to report, i also bet these same people would be near on crying if they themselves recieved infraction points. Its a shame, i don't get why people can't just use the ignore button and not press the report button instinctively.

I can hold my hand up and say i have never reported anyone and probably never will, i wonder how many others can do that ?

i can.

Hypochondriac reported me for being nasty to him and I got an infraction - which tbh was well worth the satisfaction. He also sends me pms, none of which Ive bothered to read. tbh it just makes it even funnier to hear him bleating now he has one, poor lamb.

Since there are so many experts on here, can someone tell me if "fag" is a homophobic remark? I know it's definition has been changed on an episode of South Park so it no longer refers to homosexuals, but I need to be definite. Just for future reference, if I call you a fag, it's not because I morally object to your homosexuality, it's because I think you're a fag.

Since there are so many experts on here, can someone tell me if "fag" is a homophobic remark? I know it's definition has been changed on an episode of South Park so it no longer refers to homosexuals, but I need to be definite. Just for future reference, if I call you a fag, it's not because I morally object to your homosexuality, it's because I think you're a fag.

I always thought a fag was a cigarette.

Oh well sorry hypo, only going with what I've been told.

Changing stance is difficult; Baj, SG and the new mods put a lot of work into this place for nothing in return, so constantly re-evaluating every decision can't really be expected of them - plus your intentions could have been misconstrued, thus making them racis (in the eyes of the receiver). if you say something racist, even if it's a joke, surely you can get an infraction? I could say something like that, get infracted, then point out why it was a joke or quote after, you know?

What DO you think is OK to report, then? because sometimes people get reported for something genuinely funny, but others don't for openly racist or homophobic things. Also abuse. I mean, if I called you a f*cking pr*ck, would you report me? Would you if Deppo did? It's a complicated area.

If someone had a bit of banter with you and you replied "is it because I is black", would you expect an infraction for racism? Personally I would have thought that hypo's pointing out the source of the quote and the intended humour inherent in it ought to have been enough for the mods to rescind it. And it is a funny quote.

Ok, here goes.

For a start, there are three of us mods, this is a busy forum and we can't keep track of everything, so do report posts if you think they break the forum rules. We do this voluntarily and don't have time to check every last post, so any help you lot can give us is appreciated..

Hypo, I realise that racism wasn't intended, you were quoting a comedy show. Unfortunately for you, Brass Eye is racist itself and probably not suitable for all users of this forum, especially in the Lounge, so I'm not willing to undo the infraction, sorry.

Maybe save Brass Eye for The Muppet Show eh? (it IS pretty funny after all, heavy electricity was my favourite)

Last, I have a stinking cold, please try and make my job easy for the next few days?

Ok, here goes.

For a start, there are three of us mods, this is a busy forum and we can't keep track of everything, so do report posts if you think they break the forum rules. We do this voluntarily and don't have time to check every last post, so any help you lot can give us is appreciated..

Hypo, I realise that racism wasn't intended, you were quoting a comedy show. Unfortunately for you, Brass Eye is racist itself and probably not suitable for all users of this forum, especially in the Lounge, so I'm not willing to undo the infraction, sorry.

Maybe save Brass Eye for The Muppet Show eh? (it IS pretty funny after all, heavy electricity was my favourite)

Last, I have a stinking cold, please try and make my job easy for the next few days?

Is Brass Eye actually racist though? Surely the butt of the specific joke isn't targetting any racial group, it's the 'middle class' that's being humoured.

Even if it were racist (which I believe it isn't), does this mean that Brass Eye's 'racism' is acceptable in the Muppet Show, but not in the Lounge, and if so why?

Hypo and I rarely see eye to eye on here... but one this occasion he does seem to have been unfairly penalised.

The quote he used was from the 'cake' episode, and was used without the context of Brass Eye, and yes, it was racist.

I haven't said that racism is ok in The Muppet Show, I've suggested that discussing an extreme comedy show would be more appropriate in there.

As for Brass Eye's racism being ok in The Muppet Show, discussing that in context would be ok. Using the quote verbatim without context so that it could be described as racist itself still wouldn't be.

I hope this clears up my reasoning for you.

Ok, here goes.

What the f*ck are you on? Brass Eye is a satirical program, have you actually seen it?

Jesus, there is no help for some people on this forum, weirdos.

The point as many have made, is that you did not quote or reference said piece. You therefore passed it off as your own.

To be fair I can appreciate that these issues are a matter of opinion, so I stuck our PM thread on the mod forum to give you the benefit of the doubt to see if I had got it wrong, no-one disagreed.

St 'Mod in Training' Chalet

The point as many have made, is that you did not quote or reference said piece. You therefore passed it off as your own.

To be fair I can appreciate that these issues are a matter of opinion, so I stuck our PM thread on the mod forum to give you the benefit of the doubt to see if I had got it wrong, no-one disagreed.

St 'Mod in Training' Chalet

In other words, the infraction for "racism" applies equally to unintentional racism as it does intentional racism.

It's a bit subjective I know but one would have thought that the former is worthy of less 'points' than the latter.

Anyway, it's only a football forum :-)

Unfortunately for you, Brass Eye is racist itself

Not true. It parodies racism (amongst other things) in the same way that Johnny Speight was holding up a mirror to racism in the 60s. Some people didn't get that either to be fair.

For what it's worth, I think Hypo has been hard done by here and there seems room for more pragmatism here as far as I can tell.

If someone had a bit of banter with you and you replied "is it because I is black", would you expect an infraction for racism?

Well, after the recent clarification from the admins, you would have to assume so, unless of course you made it clear that this is a reference to a comedy sketch, taken from the 11 O'Clock show c. 1998/9.

Well, after the recent clarification from the admins, you would have to assume so, unless of course you made it clear that this is a reference to a comedy sketch, taken from the 11 O'Clock show c. 1998/9.

Given the current hatchet infraction policy then yes you would do. I got an infraction for a "pointless post/sarcastic remark" (surely another 200 or so infractions should have been dished out today reading this and the main board) and another for calling someone a "goon" so a racist comment, meant, not meant or even taken out of context is worse than this and deserves more.