Swansea v Southampton, (draw)

Southampton v Coventry, (draw)

Preston v Southampton, (draw)

Southampton v Bristol City, (win)

Southampton v Wolverhampton, (win)

Reading v Southampton, (lose)

Southampton v Plymouth, (win)

Charlton v Southampton, (draw)

ermmm no. But I'd be happy with 4 wins, 4 draws and two defeats if the great footballing god is listening.

:smt059

I find it difficult to see where the next win is coming from! I have just looked at the schedule and I make it:

Watford Home

Sheffield United Away

Swansea Away

Coventry Home

Preston Away

Bristol City Home

Wolves Home

Reading Away

Plymouth Home

Charlton Away

I can't realistically see more than two wins and a couple of draws in that lot.

I also can't see beyond 2 wins and 3 or 4 draws from that lot. Our only wins this season have come against 3 very poor teams, who have missed a hatful of chances to score. I really don't fancy our chances against the likes of Wolves, the Blades and Reading.

I also can't see beyond 2 wins and 3 or 4 draws from that lot. Our only wins this season have come against 3 very poor teams, who have missed a hatful of chances to score. I really don't fancy our chances against the likes of Wolves, the Blades and Reading.

Derby did not have a hatful of chances, they were lucky we only beat them by the odd goal. Derby were sh1t and barely had a shot at goal.

Where does "realistically" come into it, when we're as likely to go to sheff utd and win as we are to beat bristol city at home? Same with most teams in this league, it's very hard to predict. I imagine we'll get an away win or two amongst that lot, but no idea where. I also imagine we'll mess up at least one home game.

Have to agree with this, as with saints you never know what's going to happen.

Let me see......

Southampton v Watford, (win) really?

Sheff Utd v Southampton, (lose)

Swansea v Southampton, (draw) Type of game we lose

Southampton v Coventry, (draw) They've done us once, will do it again

Preston v Southampton, (draw)

Southampton v Bristol City, (win)

Southampton v Wolverhampton, (win) No chance

Reading v Southampton, (lose)

Southampton v Plymouth, (win) No chance

Charlton v Southampton, (draw)

ermmm no. But I'd be happy with 4 wins, 4 draws and two defeats if the great footballing god is listening.

:smt059

Sorry, thats how I see it.

Watford Home Lose

Sheffield United Away Lose

Swansea Away Draw

Coventry Home Draw

Preston Away Lose

Bristol City Home Win

Wolves Home Shock Win!

Reading Away Draw

Plymouth Home Win

Charlton Away Lose

Realistic results imo. Watford are a very strong team with very physical players, similar to Blackpool. We will get completely buttf*cked.

However, I can see us beating Bristol C and Plymouth, and possibly getting away with a win against Wolves, seeing as they seem to be dropping form.

Being an eternal miserable pessimist I'm going for 9 points from those games.

HOWEVER, with a rare bright spark of hope having pored over the league table ealier, Watford have got one point out of five games away and with a win over them we are theorectically (sorry, very drunken spelling?) ONE point behind behind Plymouth, for example, currently in fifth.

I'm going to try a week of optimism and see what happens. As someone else said, who knows wtf to expect these days?

I'm only doing this week of optimism as an experiment and I hope it's as good as I'm constantly told on here. If we beat Watford, as we should and need do, all will look so much more reassuring come Saturday evening. If we don't I will still be expecting messages of "wait until Christmas" to appear regularly.

Fingers crossed folks :-)

Saints v Watford WIN

Sheff Utd v Saints LOSE

Swansea v Saints DRAW

Saints v Coventry WIN

Preston v Saints LOSE

Saints v Bristol City DRAW

Saints v Wolves LOSE

Reading v Saints LOSE

Saints v Plymouth WIN

Charlton v Saints LOSE

3 wins and 2 draws IMO. Not great but that's a tough run of fixtures.

Edited by Bailey

He's being very optimistic (almost too optimistic again, and I hope it's not putting pressure on the youngsters), but I can't see any reason why we shouldn't at least be able to turn Watford over on Saturday.

The youngsters wll be fresh (and I hope they're smarting from the Coventry defeat) and I don't think Watford are any great shakes.

Hopefully it will be 5 wins from 9 after Saturday, although as I said to start with, I do worry about the pressure and expectations we're putting on these youngsters.

The OS and Echo stories pre season hype didn't help and the wonder start certainly didn't materialise. The hype eased off after the poor start, but it would appear that it's being cranked up again. I do hope Jan knows what he's doing.

Sorry, but I cannot see a single win out of those games. We don't have a defence, as the idiots in charge of our club seem not to have realised.

Saints v Watford DRAW

Sheff Utd v Saints LOSE (heavily)

Swansea v Saints LOSE

Saints v Coventry DRAW

Preston v Saints LOSE

Saints v Bristol City DRAW

Saints v Wolves LOSE

Reading v Saints LOSE (heavily)

Saints v Plymouth DRAW

Charlton v Saints LOSE (maybe squeak a draw)

We should be beating Watford. They've played both Sheffield clubs recently up here and i've heard they are dire at the moment.

Roll on Saturday to start a revivial for them then!!

I agree with Arizona, we've only beaten 3 poor teams this year and yes, Derby did have good chances in the first half. Comfortable as it was in the end the first half was very even.

Reckon we'll do well to get 10 points from these games.

I remember when people used to hammer Burley for not being positive enough and not setting our targets high....

If you read the comments posted after that interview some slate JP for PR spin and some slate him for not being ambitious enough. For many the club and everything to do with it has just turned into a chance to get a cheap shot in.

I remember when people used to hammer Burley for not being positive enough and not setting our targets high....

There is a line somewhere between setting our target's high and setting them unachieveable.

Burley should have been aiming for the automatic spots. Winning 6 out of 10 games, spread over the course of a season would give us 83 points minimum, which would have won the league last season. Bit of an unrealistic target with our youth team me thinks.

There is a line somewhere between setting our target's high and setting them unachieveable.

Burley should have been aiming for the automatic spots. Winning 6 out of 10 games, spread over the course of a season would give us 83 points minimum, which would have won the league last season. Bit of an unrealistic target with our youth team me thinks.

But Jan said that he was aiming for us to win 6 of the next 10 games, not to win 6 out of 10 for the whole season :confused:

But Jan said that he was aiming for us to win 6 of the next 10 games, not to win 6 out of 10 for the whole season :confused:

But why pick those 10 games? They're not exactly the most winnable fixtures are they.

If he had said at that earlier in the season, when we had home games against Norwich, Barnsley and Blackpool as well as trips to Donny and Coventry, then it might have been wirth saying.

If we do fail to get anywhere near that target, which is quite likely IMO, it is only going to lead to disappointment, both in the fans and the squad and lead to more "stay away" fans.

Watford Home Draw

Sheffield United Away Lose

Swansea Away Lose

Coventry Home Lose

Preston Away Lose

Bristol City Home Draw

Wolves Home Lose

Reading Away Lose

Plymouth Home Win

Charlton Away Lose

A tough set of fixtures and only 5 points I'm afraid.

Because we've played our first bunch of 10 and they're the next 10 games we play? :confused: Which other 10 did you expect him to talk about now?

But the next 10 games aren't ones which we look likely to win. Just because we've played 10 games, doesn't mean he needs to go making predictions about the next 10, especially if they are that unrealistic.

At the start of the season Jan said he was aiming for the playoffs, which is great. I admire his ambition. However if he keeps making these far fetched targets, and doesn't reach them, he is going to lose a lot of credibility. People who did believe them, including possibly the players, will start to lose confidence.

Lets take a hypothetical situation. We only win 2 of the next 10 games and get a couple of draws. This form continues throughout the season and with 3 games left, we're in the drop zone. If Jan then starts making statements like, "we can still avoid relegation," do you think people are going to take him as seriously after failing to meet his previous targets so badly?

Interesting to see the various views. Inevitbly those who rely on Sky for their live Saints games will have a more jaundiced view as we were manure for these games. Those of us who went to Derby, and saw the Birmingham (CC) and Norwich games will know these boys can play. One thing I can predict is that this season will be unpredicatable because the team is young and learning (although talented) and also the league is a league where anyone can beat anyone on the day.

If you read the comments posted after that interview some slate JP for PR spin and some slate him for not being ambitious enough. For many the club and everything to do with it has just turned into a chance to get a cheap shot in.

I've not seen JP slated anywhere for not being ambitious enough.

Erm... Well actually they were through on goal on about three occassions.

Please tell me you are not saying Derby had a hatful of chances because if you are then you clearly are referring to a past season and not the game in August. The only real chance they had was in the second half just before we scored. We had several one on ones in the first half alone, hit the woodwork on a couple of times and if it wasn't for Carroll the game would of been dead and buried long before we actually scored.