Potential New Managers...

Born In The 80s

NA always bangs on about playing the right kind of football. Last time I checked, the long ball over the top at the first opportunity was not 'the right way to play football'.

It's usually the right way if it's the best way to win in the circumstances, and Ollie Lancashire was one of their centre backs.

HTH.

I'm surprised this thread has lasted this long, it's utter garbage to even consider sacking the manager on the back of dominating chances (not just possession), coming up against an excellent keeper, and losing to one of few efforts on target.

Where Saints are concerned you couldn't make it up, could you? Time to shoot ourselves thru the foot, slit our wrists and jump of the nearest bridge. Why, it's that time of the year when King Canute leads his court to the shores of the Solent, sits and waits, convinced he is about to order the tide to turn.

Learn some local folklore young man!!!!!!!!!!!!! Canute (abuse blocker didn't like C nut) was never convinced he could order the tide to turn, in fact it was the exact opposite.

Yes, Um Pahars will agree, it time to put on our Chicken outfits, cos, believe it or not, the Ides of March approaches. Yes, it time to beware those Ides, to stear clear of what is about to befall us. Guess, after all these years, we never learn!!! :(

How do you reckon our erstwhile Roman will behave if we fail to go up this season. Will he be throwing our Nigel in to the amphitheatre to face the lions or will he be backing him as his General for another campaign across Londonium and Brittania??

Edited by um pahars

I don't buy the argument we'd have been better off keeping Pardew at all. It was clear from our performances in pre season and in our first few games something wasn't right. Pardew was far from perfect and made plenty of mistakes as well. Think some people have rose tinted specs on when it comes to AP. The way some people talk about him you'd have thought we won every game 6-0 when he was here. He only did the bare minimum given the resources he had, and is not missed in the slightest. I believe Adkins will still get us promoted and is a much better option than Pardew in the long run.

I don't buy the argument we'd have been better off keeping Pardew at all. It was clear from our performances in pre season and in our first few games something wasn't right. Pardew was far from perfect and made plenty of mistakes as well. Think some people have rose tinted specs on when it comes to AP. The way some people talk about him you'd have thought we won every game 6-0 when he was here. He only did the bare minimum given the resources he had, and is not missed in the slightest. I believe Adkins will still get us promoted and is a much better option than Pardew in the long run.

ummmm surely the same applies to Nigel? I'm amazed how many people slagged off Pardew at every turn last season yet defend Nigel to the death for doing the exact same things this season. Nigel has the same mission as Pardew if we fail to go up this season Nigel has failed far worse than Pardew did.

Edited by doddisalegend

ummmm surely the same applies to Nigel? I'm amazed how many people slagged of Pardew at every turn last season yet defend Nigel to the death for doing the exact same things this season. Nigel has the same mission as Pardew if we fail to go up this season Nigel has failed far worse than Pardew did.

Yes I agree if we fail to go up Adkins will have screwed up big time. Still plenty of time to go though, I still fancy us for 2nd place.

We lost a match

We had 20 shots and their keeper played the game of his 37 year life

We got undone by a route one ball

Sh*t happens....

The only problem is it sh*t seems to happen only to Southampton. Meanwhile HMS Brighton and HMS Bournemouth are sailing off into the sunset...

It's best not to be too philosophical about football, it is not a cerebral game.

The only problem is it sh*t seems to happen only to Southampton. Meanwhile HMS Brighton and HMS Bournemouth are sailing off into the sunset...

It's best not to be too philosophical about football, it is not a cerebral game.

yeah, brighton and bournemouth have had it plain sailing for years..

We lost a match

We had 20 shots and their keeper played the game of his 37 year life

We got undone by a route one ball

Sh*t happens....I'd worry if we weren't making chances,,,I worry that probably the 2 of the best strikers in this league didn't put one or two away but this is football Saints style.

Mothball the thread until May!

We lost a match against a team that has lost more games at home than any other in this league. We lost a match against a team that we should have blown away, we lost a match, yet again against a team fighting relegation, 4 defeats in 10 games against the bottom 7 teams, nearly half, do you think this is acceptable for team that considers themselves championship contenders? It's all very well for Adkins and Butterfield to come out saying the championship race is still on but it's going to take a miracle. Brighton have only lost 5 games all season, we are now asking them to lose 4 more than games us in our last 15 games, it aint going to happen. It's all starting to wear a bit thin, there seems to a lot of talking the talk this season but not a walking the walk. When it matters we have been found wanting, just like last night.

We lost a match against a team that has lost more games at home than any other in this league. We lost a match against a team that we should have blown away, we lost a match, yet again against a team fighting relegation, 4 defeats in 10 games against the bottom 7 teams, nearly half, do you think this is acceptable for team that considers themselves championship contenders? It's all very well for Adkins and Butterfield to come out saying the championship race is still on but it's going to take a miracle. Brighton have only lost 5 games all season, we are now asking them to lose 4 more than games us in our last 15 games, it aint going to happen. It's all starting to wear a bit thin, there seems to a lot of talking the talk this season but not a walking the walk. When it matters we have been found wanting, just like last night.

Turks, is this a continuation of your alpine parody, im getting confused

I like that guy Adkins, he's gotten teams with less money, smaller squad size and a less ambitious board out of this division before. Sign him up Cortese!

Some might say that that could make him unsuitable/inexperienced for a job with a Club like ours!

FFS really ?? Do we really need a thread like this ??

His form in itself is not too bad, in fact, with the form we have been in since he was in we would have expected to be at the top, or atleast closer then we are, unfortunately everyone around us is equally in good form and so it sort of cancels what we are doing, this is the problem and makes it seem worse then we are.

Look, i'm defending him but trying to be realistic. I find it odd that you've picked my post to quote when there are some pretty embarassing posts in this thread.

We have dropped out of the top 2/3 in the form table and are now around 10th in recent weeks.

We have not lost many, but we have dropped silly points in draws recently. But other than that he's done well for us.

err..

current form table showing - last 6

Brighton 13

Orient, Rochdale, Cherries 12

Saints, Peterbrough, Brentford 11

His form in itself is not too bad, in fact, with the form we have been in since he was in we would have expected to be at the top, or atleast closer then we are, unfortunately everyone around us is equally in good form and so it sort of cancels what we are doing, this is the problem and makes it seem worse then we are.

Thats the problem with wanting to win things though isn't it, you have to do better than those around you. I am sure Chelsea fans aren't blaming other teams for doing well as the reason they wont win the title this season.

Thats the problem with wanting to win things though isn't it, you have to do better than those around you. I am sure Chelsea fans aren't blaming other teams for doing well as the reason they wont win the title this season.

I know i know, we should be doing better, of course we should, we have thrown away silly points we have. It deosn't help however that the other teams are just rolling on and on and on. But yes, you are right we should be performing better then they are.

I am beginning to get a little disapointed about Adkins performance, but like I said before January, we needed to sign someone that was going to score goals, we are creating chances but not putting them away. And that will now be the problem until the end of the season.

It deosn't help however that the other teams are just rolling on and on and on. But yes, you are right we should be performing better then they are.

I don't know what the current form etc of other teams have been, but can't help thinking that other teams have been just as inconsistent as us. We've enjoyed a couple of days when results have really gone our way, so not sure we can blame it on other teams rolling on and on. At best, I think Brighton have been on a roll, but I think one of the reasons we are still in the hunt is that none of our competitors has managed to capitalise on ours and others failings.

I know i know, we should be doing better, of course we should, we have thrown away silly points we have. It deosn't help however that the other teams are just rolling on and on and on. But yes, you are right we should be performing better then they are.

I am beginning to get a little disapointed about Adkins performance, but like I said before January, we needed to sign someone that was going to score goals, we are creating chances but not putting them away. And that will now be the problem until the end of the season.

Really? Lambert and Barnard are two of the best strikers at this level. Lallana and Oxo can, do and will score. We signed Chaplow a goalscoring midfielder and Guly was banging them in until we actually signed him.

If you think we need to sign more goalscorers then you need a little dose of reality. If Nigel Adkins complained to any other manager in this division about lack of goalscoring talent in the team he'd be laughed out of town.

And we're the fourth top scorers in the division with only one team (the freakish Peterboro) having scored significantly (say, 3 goals) more than we have.

We've got goals. It's spirit, commitment and will to win we're lacking.

Why have people resorted to playground namecalling on this thread when most of you don't even know me? I find it odd that some can think someone is a muppet or tool just because they have a different opinion to you. Especially when it's done over the internet. Some people need to get a life. If you wanna insult me, please don't hide behind the computer screen, come and do it to my face. This is a football forum and the beauty of football is everyone has their own view on pretty much everything in the game.

Ironically, on this occasion, i didn't even state an opinion. Not once have i ever said i want Adkins sacked. The point of the opening most was more about the attitude of Cortese. Clearly, he is not scared of making a big call and i get the impression he is a cut-throat kinda guy. In today's footballing world, the financial pressure is so great (even at our level), that chairman generally want to see new managers make their mark early in their reign, especially in situations like ours where Adkins was coming to a club with arguably the best squad in the league. For me, although results haven't been disasterous, i've been very underwhelmed with the appointment so far, and recent form since Oldham (probably entering the most critical part of the season) has been awful.

With Cortese the way he is, i wouldn't be at all surprised to see him go after someone like Di Matteo in a last ditch attempt to save the season, if this bad patch continues for a few games more (which IMO is entirely possible the way we're playing).

Why ever not???

I would venture that there is an outside chance that Cortese could well be thinking what his options could be.

Additonally, I struggle to see what the danger of gossiping on a football message board is. If you're too depressed (or don't want to get depressed) then give this thread a wide berth or alternatively don't take it too seriously.

Whatever happened to that Pardew loser?

err..

current form table showing - last 6

Brighton 13

Orient, Rochdale, Cherries 12

Saints, Peterbrough, Brentford 11

err..

most form tables look at the last 8 games.....

12 points from the last 24 available has you level with free falling Charlton and 9th.

Still, you keep on being selective with your stats....