What are you listening to?

Julian H. Cope

Have to say I've always thought Eric Clapton a bit overrated. Not for his technique, just his style and the use he made of his undoubted skill. His music never blew me away as Hendrix did. But he had his high years with Cream. Jack Bruce, I did rate highly and still do. Ginger Baker, I thought was good, mad drummer that The Muppets copied for their show. Anyway, Disraeli Gears is my favourite.

I do love Dance The Night Away and Tales Of Brave Ulysses

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lteb--nvuyo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAViUGVYTVk

Whack on Derek & The Dominos - Layla & Other Assorted Love Songs, brilliant album and EC best work IMHO. (awaits the flaming from Cream lovers)

Whack on Derek & The Dominos - Layla & Other Assorted Love Songs, brilliant album and EC best work IMHO. (awaits the flaming from Cream lovers)

No flaming from me mate. Perhaps, like a lot of oher EC work, when it comes to the crunch, I'm not as keen as I might be. For example, the album Slowhand, which I had for a couple of years, before giving it away. I never thought it much cop, but other people love it. I was always left with the feeling that EC could have done better. Just as another example, on the album, his cover of recently departed John Martyn's excellent May You Never is appallingly poor.

Don't get me wrong, EC's good. Just not that good,IMO. Cue my flaming. ;)

No flaming from me mate. Perhaps, like a lot of oher EC work, when it comes to the crunch, I'm not as keen as I might be. For example, the album Slowhand, which I had for a couple of years, before giving it away. I never thought it much cop, but other people love it. I was always left with the feeling that EC could have done better. Just as another example, on the album, his cover of recently departed John Martyn's excellent May You Never is appallingly poor.

Don't get me wrong, EC's good. Just not that good,IMO. Cue my flaming. ;)

Have been watching the repeats of the original "Transatlantic Sessions" on BBC4. Wonderful live version of this by JM himself plus other various "folksters". Well worth looking out for.

Edited by miserableoldgit
Added youtube link.

I'm listening to myself playing the chords to Horse With No Name. It's so appallingly bad I should send an e-mail of apology to Dewey Bunnell. But I'm just getting enough into it to give me encouragement. Think I may have turned a mini-corner. Maybe Mr Sandercoe would be proud. :)

Got the ipod on shuffle at work today, and the next 5 songs (could be anything!) are......

RATM- Killing in the name of

Lightning Seeds- Life of Riley

Stone Roses vs Kasabian- Processed waterfall

Toto- Rosanna

James- Born of frustration (haven't heard this for a while- what an uplifting choon!)

Not a bad section of shufflage, as shufflage goes!

Loads of stuff recently:

Misfits, Danzig, Refused, Discharge, The Stranglers, Wire, Minor Threat, The Clash, Bad Brains, Black Flag, The Minutemen, Husker Du, The Replacements, UK Subs, Rancid, Blink182, Lars Frederiksen & The Bastards, Motorhead, AFI, Dead Boys, ABBA.

My guitar playing. I'm actually starting to make some strides with my chord changes. I'm doing the how many chord changes can I do in a minute exercise, for example, between C and G and back [counts as 1], and I'm up to nearly 30. Trouble is, I lose concentration if I attempt another go and I get ragged. But considering I only picked up the guitar again in the New Year [and this time I'm bloody well going to learn how to play], I think I'm doing OK. Tbh, discovering ol'Justin on the web has been the difference.

www.justinguitar.com

For those like me and maybe Saint Stevo [iIRC], this bloke's a bleeding godsend.

The Clash - Sandinista!

As messy and mad as a badger that’s smoked way too much weed and is going through a major dub phase. Frustrating in places but hugely rewarding in others.

The badgers round our way are like that. Always listening to King Tubby or Augustus Pablo. All bloody hours.

As I rarely contribute to this thread, I shall list the past few albums I have had on:

The Holdsteady - Stay Positive

Scroobius Pip/Dan Le Sac - Angles

The Stone Roses - The Stone Roses

Beth Orton - Daybreaker

Band of Horses - Cease to Begin

The Maccabes - Colour it in

Primal Scream - Beautiful future

Maps - we can create

Today I will be listening to the works of Orbital. My favourite track is The Box(the full version in 4 parts).

I hope you all have a marvellous Friday.

Recently been listening to the 3 discs of Satan Live..."Daddy? Yes son. What does regret mean? Well son, a funny thing about regret is etc.....oh and be sure sure to tell your mother...SATAN, SATAN, SATAN!!!"