Football Manager 2012 - updates thread

Saint_clark

Has anyone else had any flares in the crowd during matches?

I noticed that the other day, it does it for European games by the seems of it, but also ones in the UK which obviously couldn't happen legally. (FM12 promoting illegal activity! ;) )

Oh, Steve de Ridder handed in a transfer request 3 days after the game f*cking well started because he said he wasn't playing enough first team football. At that point we hadn't even played a bloody pre-season friendly! Couldn't talk him out of it either, he just got angry with me...

I can never get a f*cking work permit for Kara, incredibly annoying. He's such a quality player.

I just offered him top dollar, key player status and the promise of more money. Seemed to do the trick. If you're in the Championship that might be the problem.

With three games to go, my Spurs team are second, a point ahead of United in third, City are eight points clear with a massive goal difference. They've conceded only 18 goals all season and scored nearly 120. Sadly my defence needs working on, we concede a goal a game on average. Title appears to have gone, and any hope of a late run was destroyed when we blew our 2 - 0 lead against City at home, final score 2 - 2.

Lost in the F.A Cup semi-finals to Cardiff despite being the better team, that hurt. Won the Carling Cup but it's no consolation really. Champions League semi-finals, beat Bayern 6 - 2 at home in the first leg but with a depleted squad I'm worried they might well do us 4 - 0 at their place. Final is likely to be against Chelsea, if I lose that I'll never hear the end of it!

So the plan is, win the Champions League, spend all the money on new wonderkids and an entirely new back four. Should probably have strengthened the defence last time around, but I saw the world's next greatest player and spent £25 million on him. My bad!

I just offered him top dollar, key player status and the promise of more money. Seemed to do the trick. If you're in the Championship that might be the problem.

Yeah, no problems agreeing terms (£27k p/w with generous app fees, wage rises and TOTY bonus) but just can't get a work permit as i'm in the Champ. Will have to try and sign him again after we get promoted this season.

Currently got:

GK: Jung Sung-Ryong (£1m)

RB: Kevin Foley (£2.5m)

LB: Ayoze (£2.2m)

CB: Jose Fonte

CB: Craig Dawson (£1.2m)

CM: Jack Cork

CM: Guido Pizarro (£800k)

RW: James Forrest (£3.6m)

LW: Adam Lallana

ST: Rickie Lambert

ST: Jan Chramosta (£5.25m)

Subs: Espen Ruud (£1m), Michael Bostwick (£1.3m), Morgan Schneiderlin, Giannis Fetfatzidis (loan), Billy Sharp.

Sitting comfortably in first in November. Ought to walk the league.

Ridiculous.

Win the Champions League and I get a measly £11 million to spend. Had to go bargain hunting, signed Luca Antonelli, Vincent Kompany and Santiago Arias. Managed to get a few squad players to take wage reductions and got an extra £4 million out of it.

Meanwhile, City spend £20 million on one player at the drop of a hat. Title challenge seems a tough ask.

Just finished my first season with Norwich and came 8th.

My current team is pretty much Norwich's first 11 with the addition of J-Rod. Playing the formation everyone seems to on here and Grant Holt is an absolute beast.

Badly need to strengthen the defence though. Only signing so far is Kyle Naughton on a permanent deal. Looking at Nathan Redmond as well from Brum.

Anyone got any other suggestions?

I'd recommend anyone who is in their first or second season in the Premiership & using the Cena Vs Rock formation to sign Danny Sturridge, him and Lallana on the wings are amazing!

You want players with very high team work and work rate attributes in those positions. Personally I never buy anyone with less than 10 in both of those, for any position.

Well despite having the sum of **** all to spend in the transfer window, the start of the season has been very encouraging.

Man City 1 - 1p Tottenham (Community Shield)

Chelsea 1 - 6 Tottenham

Tottenham 6 - 1 Man City

Valencia 1 - 2 Tottenham (UEFA Super Cup)

You want players with very high team work and work rate attributes in those positions. Personally I never buy anyone with less than 10 in both of those, for any position.

Normally I would agree but DS has an average rating of 8.32 at the moment, the only reason I signed him is because he played so well in my Team GB squad.

Managed to get Basingstoke into the Championship. Won the BSS, Won the BSP, Won League 2 and finished 4th in League 1 and went up via the playoffs. Getting a stadium upgrade from 6000 to 15000 but they have sent me to play at Aldershot whilst the stadium is being built. Getting crowds of 1000 when i did have sellouts every week! Won my first game vs Peterbour 3-1 at home.

Reading have recently gone bust, they had sold all there players and signed 3 of my reserves in the summer on frees, i think they were desperate for any players! Southampton went up in the first season and have been in the prem ever since, they are now the 25th richest club in Europe. Loving the game though, looking forward to the new one with Saints starting in the prem, like the good old days!

Managed to get Basingstoke into the Championship. Won the BSS, Won the BSP, Won League 2 and finished 4th in League 1 and went up via the playoffs. Getting a stadium upgrade from 6000 to 15000 but they have sent me to play at Aldershot whilst the stadium is being built. Getting crowds of 1000 when i did have sellouts every week! Won my first game vs Peterbour 3-1 at home.

Reading have recently gone bust, they had sold all there players and signed 3 of my reserves in the summer on frees, i think they were desperate for any players! Southampton went up in the first season and have been in the prem ever since, they are now the 25th richest club in Europe. Loving the game though, looking forward to the new one with Saints starting in the prem, like the good old days!

No proper badge for Saints anymore though...

Euro 2012 is highlighting just how good some of the research for the game can be.

Dzagoev, Yarmolenko and Rakitic are three I'd highlight - all three are always snapped up by the big boys in the game, and at the tournament this summer they've been very good, especially Dzagoev. In FM11, Sigurdsson ended up playing for Liverpool and being one of the best players in the league. I can remember thinking "Yeah, right...".

Quality control has certainly improved. I can recall a time where no matter how good my teams were, no matter how good the tactics, Eduardo would end up beating me single handedly when I played Arsenal. In reality? He really wasn't as good as the game would have you believe, injury or not.

Oh and what ever happened to Dagoberto? Legend on FM07, never even heard of him in real life.

I can also remember a time with Jan Poortvliet was one of the best managers in the game after two seasons and would end up winning the Premier League. Explain that one, oh blessed researcher...

I can also remember a time with Jan Poortvliet was one of the best managers in the game after two seasons and would end up winning the Premier League. Explain that one, oh blessed researcher...

Not down to me, I didn't touch his ratings before he was sacked in real life. Researchers don't change the ratings of recently moved players/staff. Just as I won't change Jay Rodriguez for FM13 and will rely on the opinion of the Burnley researcher until the first data update in 2013 and I've seen Rodriguez play for myself.

Not down to me, I didn't touch his ratings before he was sacked in real life. Researchers don't change the ratings of recently moved players/staff. Just as I won't change Jay Rodriguez for FM13 and will rely on the opinion of the Burnley researcher until the first data update in 2013 and I've seen Rodriguez play for myself.

Does every club in every playable league have a researcher? To what depth do things go?

Interesting. I spent a lot of time going over AFC Wimbledon's squad, adjusting bits here and there before submitting the finished article for FM08.

it wouldn't surprise me if some clubs used the game to check out players as some sort of scouting tool.

AVB said he used it a lot.

Interesting. I spent a lot of time going over AFC Wimbledon's squad, adjusting bits here and there before submitting the finished article for FM08.

It is hard for me to justify giving for example Jay Rodriguez a boost to his current ability when I've never seen him play in person. If when I get my file back I notice there is something factually wrong (like his height) rather than subjective (like his finishing) then I'll change it. I won't make any attribute changes for any Saints summer signings until the January window patch next year.

Does every club in every playable league have a researcher? To what depth do things go?

A few years ago Sports Interactive said they had over 1,500 researchers, that number has likely expanded since then as the research team has grown.

In England they have two head researchers and then researchers down to tier 9 of the pyramid. The first 5 tiers in England pretty much all have an individual club researcher, beyond that the research is often done by a league researcher with some clubs having their own individual researcher. Abroad, most nations in the world have a head researcher, it varies in terms of structure below them.

^^ :lol: Anyway..decided to restart. Got a bit bored with the European scene and decided to try my luck in Brazil. Santos to be precise....fark me how many games do we play!! Decent squad and to be honest with Neymar and Ganso I have two world class players. Not much to be said for the rest of them. Some wierd formations against me too also so interesting already!

Just finished my second season with Saints, did fantastically coming 4th in the Premier League and winning the UEFA Cup (After winning the FA cup the season before) amusingly there was no Press Conference after the final and everyone seemed pretty non plussed. The board have decided to spend £12 million on undersoil heating (which I thought SMS has and doesn't really need) so that's my finishing prize money gone instantly, I have got £24 million to spend on transfers though so happy about that, but would of preferred a stadium expansion instead of undersoil heating that'll never be used.

I'll post about my best/worst signings when I get back home

EDIT: Also I've been offered the job as Arsenal boss with double the transfer budget and triple the wage budget, I'm very tempted tbh... what do you guys think?

Edited by Mattio

Are you sure about that? I've never seen undersoil heating cost anywhere near that on the game. Normally about £2m iirc. Have they not increased the stadium size as well?

Ahh my bad, just checked and they are also expanding by 7500 seats!

Starting season 3 with Saints. Big improvements in playing squad.

Signed M Olsson from Wolves (ex WBA) £4 million

C Erickson from Ajax £5.5 million

Aquafresca on a bosman

Daniel Sturridge on a bosman

Matty Jarvis for £4 million from Wolves.

Erickson is out for 7 months after 1st training session.

Am down to 19 1st team players through injury after 5 games and my reserves are all on loan. Grrr

Starting season 3 with Saints. Big improvements in playing squad.

Signed M Olsson from Wolves (ex WBA) £4 million

C Erickson from Ajax £5.5 million

Aquafresca on a bosman

Daniel Sturridge on a bosman

Matty Jarvis for £4 million from Wolves.

Erickson is out for 7 months after 1st training session.

Am down to 19 1st team players through injury after 5 games and my reserves are all on loan. Grrr

Get used to that. He's very, very injury prone. Doesn't even become that great a player.

Great.

Sorry to be blunt on that one chap!

I use the Genie Scout, personally I don't find it to be cheating as scouts are too slow and don't provide enough information. Not particularly true to real life. It's not as if the more times you scout one player that you find out more about them either. Others may have a different view on that one but to me Genie Scout isn't cheating, as I say.

I looked Eriksen up and he's got a bad injury proneness rating, and there's just no point in signing someone who's going to be like that, especially if they've got a lot to do in order to improve, as they'll be injured most of the time instead of improving.

Cheap, reliable, consistent midfielders that come good quickly: Marco Verratti (in real life he's just agreed something with Juventus) and Guido Pizarro. I never got many goals out of Marco but he was good for 20 assists every season which is remarkable. Cost me £1.5m, soon gets international recognition and big Serie A clubs sniffing and he doesn't care. Pizarro I actually missed out on because Anzhi wanted to give him outrageous wages to get him to play with their team of legends in Russia. Get in there quickly and he's a bargain, I think he may even be as cheap as £2m.

You're right on that one about Genie Scout. The scouts on the game are waaaay too slow and pretty much all the talent gets gobbled up by the CPU/other teams really quickly.

Forza Lecce... third in Serie A at the halfway stage after a Pompey-tastic £60m splurge on new players. We're £14m in debt, running up a £3m loss every month and have £30m loan from the chairwoman to pay back upon her leaving. Champions League or bust for the Giallorossi...

Via_del_mare-curva_nord.jpg

Edited by Crab Lungs

You're right on that one about Genie Scout. The scouts on the game are waaaay too slow and pretty much all the talent gets gobbled up by the CPU/other teams really quickly.

Glad you agree Mr. Lungs - it's like Graham Carr said he'd scouted Cisse at Newcastle for SEVEN YEARS. I can't imagine he'd go to his manager and say the same vague things every single time. If you're at a lower league club you can't afford a decent scout anyway - they won't even talk to you! In real life it's not like that, a lower league scout might be just as good at finding very good players as a top flight scout.

And yes, how often do you see a kid that has been at a club for a matter of seconds after entering the game and he's gone to United or some club like that? You'll never have heard of him until he's gone. We all knew about Nick Powell, Jordan Ibe or Raheem Sterling before they'd gone. Well, I did anyway.