Gary Speed

S-Clarke

Can't say at the moment as I'm on gardening leave - happy to say in the New Year when I've started at my new place. I can say that I was one of the privilaged few that saw "Don Cortese" bow to the true Godfather of Sport - Mike Dunn (Sun Sports Editor) and ask for the "South Coast Club" thing to stop. Well, when I say privilaged few, he was given a tour of the entire News & Sports Desks after his meeting!

What was offered in return for them stopping the South Coast Club nickname? Was it just that we let them in, and if it was why didn't they gloat? What did Cortese say or give to make them drop it without even explicitly saying so?

Can't say at the moment as I'm on gardening leave - happy to say in the New Year when I've started at my new place. I can say that I was one of the privilaged few that saw "Don Cortese" bow to the true Godfather of Sport - Mike Dunn (Sun Sports Editor) and ask for the "South Coast Club" thing to stop. Well, when I say privilaged few, he was given a tour of the entire News & Sports Desks after his meeting!
You seem very in awe of people. Editors at newspapers, bankers who earn a lot of money. They're just hired hands, nothing awe inspiring.

Given the track record for telling lies at News International i'd take that denial with a pinch of salt...

I wasn't bothered about celebs being hacked, but what your lot did to Milly Dowlers family was disgusting.

I'm bothered about anyone being hacked. It's the thinking that celebrities are 'fair game', that leads to even more reprehensible acts such as the Milly Dowler one. We can't have a two tier system of rights.

I can catogorically say it isn't true (well not at Britain's biggest selling tabloid anyway). Same as the Gerrard rumours a year ago. Ask yourself this, who's worse - the tabloid press or the people so desperate to disparage them that they make up stories about the press using real people and make believe personal lives?

You know this how? Voicemail?

I'm bothered about anyone being hacked. It's the thinking that celebrities are 'fair game', that leads to even more reprehensible acts such as the Milly Dowler one. We can't have a two tier system of rights.

I don't care what you think Andy.

Given the track record for telling lies at News International i'd take that denial with a pinch of salt...

I wasn't bothered about celebs being hacked, but what your lot did to Milly Dowlers family was disgusting.

To be fair, if The Sun had that story it would be known about by certain people internally so I'm 99% certain (can never be 100% but during Leveson it would be suicidal tbf).

Can't/ won't comment on hacking.

To be fair, if The Sun had that story it would be known about by certain people internally so I'm 99% certain (can never be 100% but during Leveson it would be suicidal tbf).

Can't/ won't comment on hacking.

Fair enough, I can imagine that things have changed now that justice is being done. As it goes I do still choose to buy The Sun for the sports pages because they are the best.

You seem very in awe of people. Editors at newspapers, bankers who earn a lot of money. They're just hired hands, nothing awe inspiring.

I mentioned a tongue in cheek anecdote about how our main man Cortese has to pretty much beg MD to get his paper to change how we were described whilst most people on here refused to believe that could ever happen to "Don" Cortese.

To answer your point on people I'm in awe of, I'm in awe of hard working people that reach the top of their profession by hard work, whether that be a Head Teacher (or even Head of Year/ Department considering how hard they have to work), Heart Surgeon, Sports Editor, City Trader, non commissioned Army Officer, McMillan Nurse or anyone that works for Cancer Research. What's your point?

I'm in awe of, I'm in awe of hard working people that reach the top of their profession by hard work, whether that be a Head Teacher (or even Head of Year/ Department considering how hard they have to work), Heart Surgeon, Sports Editor, City Trader, non commissioned Army Officer, McMillan Nurse or anyone that works for Cancer Research. What's your point?

Oh good. You mentioned heart surgeon. I thought for a minute I was going to be left out of all the people you admire.

And what do you mean you can't comment on hacking? Not even that the Dowler incident was wrong?

The Sun has been out of control for decades. When I was 15 I spent the day finding out whether I wanted to be a journo. All the press and media pack were waiting patiently outside the house of a guy who had just been released from being chained to radiator in Beirut. He hadn't seen his family for months, had no sleep for four days but had promised to speak freely after "a shower, food and sleep". Everybody respected that tv, radio and press - except the Sun who rang his doorbell and phone incessantly, tried to get in his garden and take pictures through his windows.

Edited by buctootim

Oh good. You mentioned heart surgeon. I thought for a minute I was going to be left out of all the people you admire.

And what do you mean you can't comment on hacking? Not even that the Dowler incident was wrong?

I'm sorry but "hacking" was a term given by plantation owners to slaves hacking sugar canes in Martinique, Barbados, Jamaica and the Leeward Islands in the mid 19th Century. Until you apologise for your implied racism I refuse to respond to your question.

Oh, and by the way mods - I'd remove/ reword this thread as a certain media company's legal department are red hot on this subject right now!

Baj & Russel get 30 years for internet rumour. :rolleyes: **** the certain media company!

I'm sorry but "hacking" was a term given by plantation owners to slaves hacking sugar canes in Martinique, Barbados, Jamaica and the Leeward Islands in the mid 19th Century. Until you apologise for your implied racism I refuse to respond to your question.

I read that as guilty.

No. And I find it insulting you want to compare someone that works at a fast food outlet with a Cancer Research worker.

Oh. Somebody who works at a comfortable job for charidee is implicitly more valuable than someone who makes the most of a ****ty job for low money? Surely since cancer is still around we should go round their houses with flaming torches, its not a strong record of achievement is it? By contrast I get my sausage and egg Mcmuffins in a couple of minutes flat.

Fair enough, I can imagine that things have changed now that justice is being done. As it goes I do still choose to buy The Sun for the sports pages because they are the best.

More than happy to comment on the hacking in January, not that anyone will care what I think but needless to say I've got strong opinions on it. The sports pages are superb - in column inch terms no other national gives Saints anywhere near the coverage the Sun does!

Oh. Somebody who works at a comfortable job for charidee is implicitly more valuable than someone who makes the most of a ****ty job for low money? Surely since cancer is still around we should go round their houses with flaming torches, its not a strong record of achievement is it? By contrast I get my sausage and egg Mcmuffins in a couple of minutes flat.

Read again what you've just written you sick ****. You've just mocked cancer charity workers to make a weak point on a football website.

You would simply because he's your next target regardless of what he says.

For an obviously bright bloke you act as a right tool at times.

Disagree. Someone whose awe of people at the Sun and bankers with young families (who earn £200,000pa but work 16 hour days) is the tool whose views need holding to the light and feet to the fire

site

Read again what you've just written you sick ****. You've just mocked cancer charity workers to make a weak point on a football website.

You are incredibly naive. You really think cancer researchers are some higher beings? Ive run cancer services at a London teaching hospital. We used to regularly lose our best clinicians to research because the money was better and the hours regular - not because Ghandi, Mandela and Jesus H Christ were calling them to salvation.

You are incredibly naive. You really think cancer researchers are some higher beings? Ive run cancer services at a London teaching hospital. We used to regularly lose our best clinicians to research because the money was better and the hours regular - not because Ghandi, Mandela and Jesus H Christ were calling them to salvation.

You just mocked charity workers and their efforts to find treatments for a nasty, ruthless disease to make a cheap/ weak point on a football website. You've lost the tiny thread of credibility I had for you. You are sick.

You just mocked charity workers and their efforts to find treatments for a nasty, ruthless disease to make a cheap/ weak point on a football website. You've lost the tiny thread of credibility I had for you. You are sick.

Lolz. You work for the Sun and idolize overpaid bankers. I used to run cancer services in a London hospital and now run a charity and I'm the sick one.

Edited by buctootim

Lolz. You work for the Sun and idolize overpaid bankers. I used to run cancer services in a London hospital and now run a charity and I'm the sick one.

You've had the experience. Therefore, you must be right and now JackanorySFC must cede his right to an opinion. That seems to be his attitude anyways!

Which charity do you run? If I may ask...

For what it is worth, I volunteer at my local hospice and work with terminally ill cancer patients during this. The staff are brilliant and so is the hospice's work(and I'm proud to be apart of that), but anyone in most professions can be brilliant in different ways. No career has a moral monopoly!

You've had the experience. Therefore, you must be right and now JackanorySFC must cede his right to an opinion. That seems to be his attitude anyways!

For what it is worth, I volunteer at my local hospice and work with terminally ill cancer patients during this. The staff are brilliant and so is the hospice's work(and I'm proud to be apart of that), but anyone in most professions can be brilliant in different ways. No career has a moral monopoly!

He compared curing cancer with serving up a sausage and egg mcmuffin. He trivialized a brutal, ruthless disease (that I, and most people do have 1st hand experience of) to score a cheap point on a football website. He's sick.

Good effort on your charity work by the way, cancer is a subject I'm pretty touchy about and charity worker or not, it shouldn't be used to score a cheap point on a football website - to do so is sick. But by all means high five him because he has the same political beliefs as you, some things are more important than politics kid.

You would simply because he's your next target regardless of what he says.

For an obviously bright bloke you act as a right tool at times.

I am hopelessly crushed. I just wish I had your gift for the perfect bon mot.

BTW, what's with the unfeasibly aspirational username?

He compared curing cancer with serving up a sausage and egg mcmuffin. He trivialized a brutal, ruthless disease (that I, and most people do have 1st hand experience of) to score a cheap point on a football website. He's sick.

Good effort on your charity work by the way, cancer is a subject I'm pretty touchy about and charity worker or not, it shouldn't be used to score a cheap point on a football website - to do so is sick. But by all means high five him because he has the same political beliefs as you, some things are more important than politics kid.

I don't think he seriously meant that. I think he was over exaggerating to make a point regarding one of your posts. As was I in the first line of my post following your inexperience attack on me the other day.

Like I said before, plenty of professions do good work and none has absolute morality over another. Cancer researchers do a great job though, and there have been some very exciting developments recently and I think the next 20 years will be interesting. The one thing that ****es me off about research, and that includes cancer, HIV, malaria, whatever it is, is the way money infects it. Research groups don't share results and resources because they are all hoping to get the cash at the end. That's why I admire Bill Gates donations to many research charities as he has made them sign contract before giving out the money that they must share results and resources.

No that wasnt point. I wouldnt denigrate anybody who works hard - at any level and in any job - and most especially those who volunteer their time and compassion in what can be a fairly bleak environment (terminal care). You and other like you have my utmost admiration for that.

I was trying to winkle out that Jackanory appears to try to divide the world into a very simplistic the 'good' and the 'bad' those deserving of public adulation and those not. Its a dangerous road that.

imo everybody has different motives and opportunities - some pursue the most cash at the expense of quality of life, some pursue interest and personal satisfaction, some dont have the luxury of choice. Personally I worked in the public sector and then charitable sector because I found it more interesting - more so than the oppotunity to go into Venture Capital which obviously paid a lot more.

I dont really want to say which charity I run (its the UK part, not the global organisation) because my views may well not reflect theirs on any particulalr issue, but it works in the environmental areac if that helps.

I refuse to believe anyone is truly that stupid. It must be synthetic outrage.

I'm really unhappy discussing this under a Gary Speed thread as we simply do not know if this is in any way relevant to his passing.

However, a couple of links for you:

Italian Footballers’ Association head “would not recommend coming out” to players

German football captain Philipp Lahm says gay players should not come out

I think there are only TWO out gay professional footballers in the whole world. I think it is rather more complex than just 'growing a pair'.

I'll let the boys down the poo-pushers club know. Maybe we'll have a whip round and buy you some new curtains.

I think you would be amazed at how easy it would be to come out the closet as a pro footballer these days. I really do. Society has thankfully moved on. The banter directed at the Albion fans is not sinister. If a footballer came out, at a press conference etc then I would be amazed if a whole terrace gave him abuse the next game. There would always be some idiots - probably kids, but they would be told to shut up pretty damn quickly. Frankly, those two reports you mention are shameful. No one should be told to hide their sexuality living in the liberal west. Maybe in Saudi Arabia it might be sensible, but not here.

The reason I say that any gay footballer should 'grow a pair' if he is frightened is not to indicate he is a pussy. It is more that he should be prepared to break the taboo. Once one does, more will follow and society can once more progress. If Gandhi had not 'grown a pair' where would India be now? If Emily Pankhurst had not 'grown a pair' (eeeew!) then where would women be now? (they should still not be at football mind, but that's another issue)

As for your offer of new curtains, I don't geddit?

Edited by 1976_Child

You buy the Sun as well as the Express? Blimey -- jobseekers' allowance goes a long way nowadays doesn't it!

I think you would be amazed at how easy it would be to come out the closet as a pro footballer these days. I really do. Society has thankfully moved on. The banter directed at the Albion fans is not sinister. If a footballer came out, at a press conference etc then I would be amazed if a whole terrace gave him abuse the next game. There would always be some idiots - probably kids, but they would be told to shut up pretty damn quickly. Frankly, those two reports you mention are shameful. No one should be told to hide their sexuality living in the liberal west. Maybe in Saudi Arabia it might be sensible, but not hear.

The reason I say that any gay footballer should 'grow a pair' if he is frightened is not to indicate he is a pussy. It is more that he should be prepared to break the taboo. Once one does, more will follow and society can once more progress. If Gandhi had not 'grown a pair' where would India be now? If Emily Pankhurst had not 'grown a pair' (eeeew!) then where would women be now? (they should still not be at football mind, but that's another issue)

You can't have it both ways (so to speak). Either it's easy for footballers to come out, or it's breaking the taboo.

I think you would be amazed at how easy it would be to come out the closet as a pro footballer these days. I really do. Society has thankfully moved on. The banter directed at the Albion fans is not sinister. If a footballer came out, at a press conference etc then I would be amazed if a whole terrace gave him abuse the next game. There would always be some idiots - probably kids, but they would be told to shut up pretty damn quickly. Frankly, those two reports you mention are shameful. No one should be told to hide their sexuality living in the liberal west. Maybe in Saudi Arabia it might be sensible, but not hear.

I sort of get your point. Once one does it, it may get easier. I sort of see this analogy in my own personal life from my experience at school and college. When the first person if you like(who happened to be a close friend of mine) came out, it was big news(some didn't like it, most weren't horrible as people our age are generally okish with this kind of stuff, but people certainly discussed it a lot at first. It was 'news' in other words. The hardest part is actually family life rather than school life.). However, as time went on and others came out, it wasn't so discussed or cared about... possibly because of the first one breaking the barrier.

Though, I think it is a lot harder for footballers of the next generation up who aren't so nice about homosexuality and have certain views(which will eventually die out I think, as generations go on). Justin Fashanu was the first and only one to do it and he got tonnes of abuse, his brother disowned him, people publicly barracked him and his career took a nose dive. I think footballers just think, what is the point? Why have the extra hassle...

I don't think it is easy though, coming out is never easy for anyone and its made worse when it isn't just friends and family who'll know, but the whole country.

I don't think he seriously meant that. I think he was over exaggerating to make a point regarding one of your posts. As was I in the first line of my post following your inexperience attack on me the other day.

Like I said before, plenty of professions do good work and none has absolute morality over another. Cancer researchers do a great job though, and there have been some very exciting developments recently and I think the next 20 years will be interesting. The one thing that ****es me off about research, and that includes cancer, HIV, malaria, whatever it is, is the way money infects it. Research groups don't share results and resources because they are all hoping to get the cash at the end. That's why I admire Bill Gates donations to many research charities as he has made them sign contract before giving out the money that they must share results and resources.

He trivialized cancer comparing finding a cure with serving a sausage and egg mcmuffin in 2 minutes, I took offence to that. Feel free to look through all of my posts to see if I have ever used an analogy anywhere near as extreme as that and get back to me if you still think the point you suggest he was trying to make (ie exageratting a point I have supposedly made). He could have used numerous examples that didn't include cancer. That, in my opinion is sick.

Bash me on banker loving or whatever, no problem with that (unless in a hateful, homophobic manner like Thorp did). But to use curing cancer to score a cheap point on a football website is sick.

I think you instantly jumped in to agree with him because he hates tories or whatever, just like you do. You pidgeon hole people into love tory or hate tory in my opinion. Some of us vote for either Labour or Tory, depending on any number of things. I've voted for both and certainly wouldn't rule out voting for either again, unlike so many of the tory bashers on here that still wouldn't vote tory if David Cameron came round to their house, cleaned it, cooked them dinner, mowed the lawn and gave them a pen and paper to right the manifesto on. When you grow up you might change your view of life and become more open minded, unlike the blind extreme left wingers you high five on here all the time.

He trivialized cancer comparing finding a cure with serving a sausage and egg mcmuffin in 2 minutes, I took offence to that. Feel free to look through all of my posts to see if I have ever used an analogy anywhere near as extreme as that and get back to me if you still think the point you suggest he was trying to make (ie exageratting a point I have supposedly made). He could have used numerous examples that didn't include cancer. That, in my opinion is sick.

Bash me on banker loving or whatever, no problem with that (unless in a hateful, homophobic manner like Thorp did). But to use curing cancer to score a cheap point on a football website is sick.

I think you instantly jumped in to agree with him because he hates tories or whatever, just like you do. You pidgeon hole people into love tory or hate tory in my opinion. Some of us vote for either Labour or Tory, depending on any number of things. I've voted for both and certainly wouldn't rule out voting for either again, unlike so many of the tory bashers on here that still wouldn't vote tory if David Cameron came round to their house, cleaned it, cooked them dinner, mowed the lawn and gave them a pen and paper to right the manifesto on. When you grow up you might change your view of life and become more open minded, unlike the blind extreme left wingers you high five on here all the time.

Well, that's not true. I just agree with those who adhere to my current political position. Close members of my family have invariously voted for different parties(from Thatcher to Kennedy to Blair). Only one member of my immediate family who is old enough to have voted in more than 1 general election has ever voted for the same party at EVERY election, and she grew up in a Welsh mining town and votes tribally I believe. I am open minded, but I just have an opinion at the moment, which may or may not change in the future

The CEO of Cancer Research UK will earn £221,000 this year. Does this make him an unreproachable saint or filthy parasite I wonder...

I'm always split over wages like this. On the surface, you can get all angry, but if you want decent people to run organisations like this, you have to pay them the 6 figure sums or you'll have crap managers and one thing you need in an organisation like Cancer Research UK or even the NHS is good managers.

He may get 221k a year, but if he is a good manager he'll bring in much more than that extra.

Read carefully what you've just written.

I just did.

Let me spell it out: I don't think it would be a big ordeal, once the initial media circus had moved on. I don't think the 'footballing community' would care, frankly.

But there is still a perceived taboo, by the footballers themselves. That is to say that it is still considered something best not done (as seen in those articles above about footballers been advised not to come out). But in actual fact I don't think it would be hard to break the self-enforced taboo.