Gary Speed

S-Clarke

Im sure i speak for many...

no, too easy.

He's probably gone a bit over the top, but he does have a point. The over-the-top reaction, minutes applause everywhere and anywhere, jumping on the bandwagon gets ridiculous after a while. Just saw someone had set up a page on Twitter to get every ground in the country singing "There's only one Gary Speed" on Saturday. Just leave it be.

He's probably gone a bit over the top, but he does have a point. The over-the-top reaction, minutes applause everywhere and anywhere, jumping on the bandwagon gets ridiculous after a while. Just saw someone had set up a page on Twitter to get every ground in the country singing "There's only one Gary Speed" on Saturday. Just leave it be.

I will not be joining in with the song. My Unkle did the same as Speed, and was a lovely bloke, family man, nice wife and kids, quite a good job, and I no one joined in at SMS when I started singing there is only one Unkle Mike! My Unkle did it because he just found out he had cancer, and thought that was it rather than fight it...... The people it hurts is unreal.

I tend to agree. Becoming a bit Diana-like now.

Im sure i speak for many...

no, too easy.

You are quite correct. It is not easy. Depression is bloody awful.

I just feel that the mass-reaction around football grounds (which had nothing to do with him, like us) is more to do with how to deal with suicide rather than the passing of the man. If he had died in a car accident would we (at SMS) have been expected to hold a minute's applause? Sure, at Cardiff, Leeds etc but not at SMS. So why just because he topped himself?

Especially as we don't yet (or ever) know the reason why he did it. Maybe it was because the police were about to knock his door down for something. How bad would that look in hindsight?

I'd say if you feel the need to keep it from those closest to you, it can be at its worst. Depression with no outlet, or feeling like you have no outlet, is very lonely. It is speculation of course, but it's true for many other people anyway. Particularly in sport, there can be an expectation to be tough, or a desire to seem that way.

I also think when rich/successful/famous many will feel bad saying they're having such problems. Many people do say 'what has X got to be depressed about with their life', which is nonsense, but that can get through to people who then repress it, or cope alone. Only solution is wider acceptance that it can hit every kind of person. I'm unsuccessful in terms of career and money, but I guarantee depression would still be able to hit me if I was rich. Once you've suffered it, studied it or been around it, you can see its really got no link to success.

Strange logic from a normally sensible poster there Adrians...no evidence that it's depression therefore means the depression is even worse that we thought, rather than the more likely conclusion that it wasn't depression. I'd go as far as to say that being (genuinely/clinically) depressed is not something that is possible to be concealed from your life partner 24/7, but even without that conjecture it'a still a very unlikely scenario.

Speed had it all: Outstanding playing career, nascent - but promising - managerial career, celebrity, TV punditry, family, lots of cash in the bank and no end in sight.

Yet he chose to string himself up.

To be honest, my first reaction was "how dare he?". How bloody dare he, with all he's got? Makes a mockery of all us struggling at the bottom of the heap. That is my reaction. Of course it is sad for his family. That is why they call it the 'coward's way out'.

Yeah, sure. Depression. Blah blah. Been there. Done that. I didn't top myself. Thousands of people way worse off than he was don't top them selves. I can't even afford the damn rope even if I wanted to.

So by all means the 'football community' should honour the player, but let's not get it out of perspective here. The man took his own life. For what ever reason, he wanted out. That reason was ***not*** about feeding his family, or providing the shirt on his back or getting his kids into a good school or stress about his pension or... any of the normal day-to-day cr-ap we poor people have to put up with.

So, at the risk of going against the flow here, I can not have too much sympathy. It's a free country. He wanted out. End of. Now can we please stop all the damn crocodile tears and 'minutes of clapping' before games please?

+1 i'd have to steal the rope and i'm still here.

It took a lot of balls for that Welsh egg-chaser to come out the closet, I forget his name...

Fair play.

I'm sure there have been a few poo-pushers playing the beautiful game since. And supporting it.

If anyone associated with the game feels that he can not possibly come out the closet because of the ridicule etc then I say: grow a pair!

If Guly/Lambo/Lala/Jos came out tomorrow we would probably tittle-tattle about it to fill the 'net-waves' but come the next game it wouldn't matter. Thankfully we have moved on. (Which is why the B&H chants were so muted.)

So who cares? Not I.

I heard those rumours too. But for him, if it is true, maybe the thought of being disowned by his family and friends on top of having the press camped (scuse the pun) outside his house 24/7 digging up more and more muck on him, the whole time he is trying to manage Wales and explain things to his family was too much for him to bear.

I heard those rumours too. But for him, if it is true, maybe the thought of being disowned by his family and friends on top of having the press camped (scuse the pun) outside his house 24/7 digging up more and more muck on him, the whole time he is trying to manage Wales and explain things to his family was too much for him to bear.

Let's be frank, it was not the hardest 'rumour' to find oxygen was it..:

"Oi Bob, want a pint?"

"Go on then Bill..."

"So, I hear that Gary Speed was a queer.."

"Yeah, good looking fella. No one kills himself without a reason.."

"Yeah. Queer."

"Pint Bill?"

"Yeah, go on. I heard that Gary Speed is a paedo.."

"Well that figures, good looking gay bloke like him"

"Yeah..."

"YEAH.."

"Pint Bill..."

"Yeah, go on. I heard that Ferdinand is a monkey.."

"Yeah, Terry said so in'all"

"Yeah, Bloody Monkey.."

"Yeah. Pint Bob?"

"Go on then. I heard Monkeys are taking over Croydon.."

"Is that right Bill?"

"Yeah. 'cording to this bird on the tram they're feking everywhere."

"Feking Monkeys. What we goin' do baaa'it"

"Dunno Bob. Dunno... Hey, I hear that Gary Speed was a feking queer..."

"You are so right Bill. Just heard that at the bar..."

Edited by 1976_Child

I'm sure there have been a few poo-pushers playing the beautiful game since. And supporting it.

If anyone associated with the game feels that he can not possibly come out the closet because of the ridicule etc then I say: grow a pair!

I'm really unhappy discussing this under a Gary Speed thread as we simply do not know if this is in any way relevant to his passing.

However, a couple of links for you:

Italian Footballers’ Association head “would not recommend coming out” to players

German football captain Philipp Lahm says gay players should not come out

I think there are only TWO out gay professional footballers in the whole world. I think it is rather more complex than just 'growing a pair'.

So who cares? Not I.

I'll let the boys down the poo-pushers club know. Maybe we'll have a whip round and buy you some new curtains.

Seems nobody is allowed to have a differing view anymore

The Knob Joey Barton has now angered thousands. I think his comments have been taken out of context by the baying crowds

Joey Barton has defended a tweet he wrote about suicide being "selfish" in the wake of Wales football manager Gary Speed's death.

The QPR player was among famous footballers who took to Twitter to express shock and sympathy for the 42-year-old's family in the hours after he was found hanged.

But Barton, 29, also issued a tweet which angered fellow users of the micro-blogging site and left him swamped with complaints.

"Suicide is a mix of the most tragic, most selfish, most terrible (and I want to believe preventable) acts out there," he said.

"Just didn't seem at all fitting with his character but again, I am in no position to speak. I feel terrible for his kids, family and friends."

I have just been in conversation with a friend, whos wife was this morning in the gym with a ********, who has been informed by a certain TV pundit (*****) that Gary Speed and wife were having dinner with ******** and his wife on saturday evening when there was a massive arguement between GS and his wife over gay allegations.

GS wife slept in the hotel for the night alone, and GS was found hanging in the garage the next morning.

All this was over a certain newspapers threat to go public.

Sad.

Edited by Dog

I just don't get what some people want to read in the News. Whatever the truth it isn't newsworthy, just like the Beckhams and Rooney is of no importance. But that's just probably me.

Its not just you... a rare occasion that I absolutely agree with you - welcome to the liberal elite (don't you feel liberated?)

What would be saddest about this if actually true, is how someone felt the need to take their own life because of what someone else thinks or what bullsheidt they write about sexuality - its has no baring on anything and no place in the public domain - its a personal thing. Its the reason why 'political correctness' was introduced - not to ban things that are characterised as offensive to a particular group, but to acknowledge that there are some things that some individuals will find offensive... and very personnal.

IF this is true, its dispicable that any newspaper/media outlet would even consider making it a public issue - and even more dispicable that there are enough sad ****ers interested in such irrelevent gossip to buy it and keeps the gutter 'press' printing these types of story... and tehir advertisers for only thinking about the ABC (audit bureau of circulation) number, rather than any moral or ethical choice in where they spend their marketing budget.

I just don't get what some people want to read in the News. Whatever the truth it isn't newsworthy, just like the Beckhams and Rooney is of no importance. But that's just probably me.

Some people are vulgar,uneducated morons.The red tops cater for them.Don't know if any of you have ever been on the old

Calais-dover ferries,just watch an average coach party arrive on one of them,it's frightening.When you've seen that you can understand all you need to know about "average Britain".

But is that enough of a reason to kill yourself and leave two young boys without a father?

Just because he "might" have been gay, or might have had a gay affair, that isn't really that bad is it? Not that bad that you kill yourself and affect the childhoods of your two boys, who you admit are the most important things in your life, surely?

No it isn't. I despair of the glut of sensationalist 'celebrity' magazines, and as for the tabloids - i wouldn't even wipe my arse with them.

But Dune, it's only a short time since you were on here extolling the virtues of the Daily Express, and it's papers like that - the red tops, not the decent papers - that publish these stories. If people made it clear that they didn't want to read such irrelevant stories and stopped buying those papers, they would stop writing them.

But is that enough of a reason to kill yourself and leave two young boys without a father?

Just because he "might" have been gay, or might have had a gay affair, that isn't really that bad is it? Not that bad that you kill yourself and affect the childhoods of your two boys, who you admit are the most important things in your life, surely?

This is my reaction too. Whilst the red tops are a nasty bunch of ****s, they couldn't have predicted what actions Speed would take. And it was a pretty extreme course of action. Obviously this assumes that the assertions made in this thread are true :?

Well, no... it's not. But I don't think you can really understand how hard it is for gay people to come out. It is a very big deal, especially of a man at his age. I know friends who have been suicidal in the months after coming out(due to peoples reactions)... and that's even with a few supportive friends behind them and at a reasonably young age. For a 42 year old in a marriage, I can't imagine what could have been going through his mind.

If it is true of course, we have no idea.

Edited by Saintandy666

Well, no... it's not. But I don't think you can really understand how hard it is for gay people to come out. It is a very big deal, especially at his age. I know friends who have been suicidal in the months after coming out(due to peoples reactions)... and that's even with a few supportive friends behind them and at a reasonably young age. For a 42 year old in a marriage, I can't imagine what must have been going through his mind.

If it is true of course, we have no idea.

Incredibly bad choice of phrase.

Supremely incensitive and crass.

Saintandy, you should be ashamed of yourself!

I can catogorically say it isn't true (well not at Britain's biggest selling tabloid anyway). Same as the Gerrard rumours a year ago. Ask yourself this, who's worse - the tabloid press or the people so desperate to disparage them that they make up stories about the press using real people and make believe personal lives?

I can catogorically say it isn't true (well not at Britain's biggest selling tabloid anyway). Same as the Gerrard rumours a year ago. Ask yourself this, who's worse - the tabloid press or the people so desperate to disparage them that they make up stories about the press using real people and make believe personal lives?

Do you work at the Sun then?

Where are you at now then? Also, what were you when you were at the Sun?

Can't say at the moment as I'm on gardening leave - happy to say in the New Year when I've started at my new place. I can say that I was one of the privilaged few that saw "Don Cortese" bow to the true Godfather of Sport - Mike Dunn (Sun Sports Editor) and ask for the "South Coast Club" thing to stop. Well, when I say privilaged few, he was given a tour of the entire News & Sports Desks after his meeting!

I can catogorically say it isn't true.

Given the track record for telling lies at News International i'd take that denial with a pinch of salt...

I wasn't bothered about celebs being hacked, but what your lot did to Milly Dowlers family was disgusting.