Gary Speed

S-Clarke

Posting from twitter;

I don't remember Gary Speed wearing a snood, refusing to play or rolling around on the ground shrieking and feigning injury.I do, however, remember an ever-reliable, dynamic box-to-box midfielder who gave his all and who led his teams week in, week out by example.Humble about his own considerable talent and gracious in both defeat and victory. If only there were more footballers like him. RIP.

Just popped to get petrol and heard them talking about "Shay Given wiping tears from his eyes after the news about Gary Speed."

Just dashed home and gone online.

Suicide? Why? Oh boy, he had so much to live for - family, success .... I guess I'm not a mental health counsellor and we await an explanation ... if there can be one.

Is it just me, or is it a little odd for the BBC to put this on their website? http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/15911088.stm

RIP Gary Speed, such a quality player.

Not just you. I don't think they should have put Savage in that position. He's an emotional guy and whoever set it up surely should have known that he would have been in bits.

RIP Gary Speed and condolences to his friends and family.

yep, bloody odd! Odd that the interviewer kept going and going. The BBC is into rubbernecking now almost as much as Sky News etc

I think that's a little unfair. Sure, Savage got stuck for words briefly and then recovered. Then, when the interviewer asked him another question, Savage just couldn't answer because he was so obviously upset. At that point the interviewer ended the interview and I thought did so quite sensitively.

Quite something to see a hard guy like Savage so upset - it moved me to tears.

Completely shocked by this, he seemed like a great bloke and his death has obviously affected a large number of people judging by the outpour from footballers and people involved in the sport. Grew up watching him play for Newcastle, always thought he was one of the best midfielders playing in the Prem at that time. Also remember him from his Bolton days, and even though he was getting on a bit he still bossed it every week for them.

RIP Gary

Absolutely awful news. He was on Football Focus this week with his mate Gary Mac - looked and seemed in great form. Had the pleasure of meeting both of them a couple of times during their Leeds playing days - both great guys.

Stunned and shocked by this, condolences to Garys family. RIP.

Absolutely awful news. He was on Football Focus this week with his mate Gary Mac - looked and seemed in great form. Had the pleasure of meeting both of them a couple of times during their Leeds playing days - both great guys.

Stunned and shocked by this, condolences to Garys family. RIP.

I think that's a little unfair. Sure, Savage got stuck for words briefly and then recovered. Then, when the interviewer asked him another question, Savage just couldn't answer because he was so obviously upset. At that point the interviewer ended the interview and I thought did so quite sensitively.

agree it gave me more repect for him has a person to see a human side to him unlike the stiff upper lip of the past guys put on when devastated.

This. Not odd at all. The interviewer ended at an appropriate point.

For once i actually agree with you. Savage is his mate and like you say was quite moving to see a character like Robbie Savage so upset. Thought the presenter handled it very well.

Who knows. No point trying to rationalise it though, his state of mind was clearly very different and something did drive him that far. Easy to say nothing is ever that bad from the outside, and while true, it clearly doesn't feel that way to the person involved.

RIP.

I agree depression is what most people think you just snap out of and Gary speeds death shows its not has easy as that.I think stan collymore wrote a interesting piece about his problems and battles with depression .

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

Absolutely shocked by the news of the death of Gary Speed,cannot believe it after watching him on football focus yesterday.A great player and man who was rightfully respected by his fellow pros and by fans from all clubs.My condolences to his family,especially his two young sons and his friends.RIP GARY .

And then put it up as a news story entitled, 'Robbie Savage sheds tears for Gary Speed'

Heard some terrible rumours why he did it but as they're not substantiated would be wrong to speculate on here. Sure everything will come out in the wash within a few weeks.

R.I.P.

Can't help but think suicide is a selfish and easy way out though, especially leaving a wife and two young kids behind.

There aren't many cases, so I don't think football especially needs that focus, but in general not enough is done. Too often people feel they need to keep everything bottled up, or they even repress it from themselves. I doubt it helps in any industry where you need to be more macho, but adding the public eye etc into it and there must be huge pressure to keep it together.

It doesn't help when people dismiss depression and other mental illness. I know there'll be some who try and take advantage by claiming depression to get time off work etc., but that's the same for every illness, it's just people who take advantage by nature. It makes people suspicious which sadly makes it more difficult to talk openly for the real sufferers. With a bit less cynicism maybe more would talk about it, and that's the only answer really. So many people seem to think depression can't really strike someone rich, famous or whatever. It's completely irrelevant, it can strike anyone. Well, I say anyone but it tends to be those with a certain amount of introspection and intelligence in the first place.

It's all very well saying suicide isn't an option, it hurts families etc., isn't fair., but that's a rational onlooker describing someone going through something they don't comprehend, and rational thoughts go out the window. Suicide rates are very high, especially amongst young people and it needs more attention.

Whatever the reason and turmoil that brought it about, he'll be remembered as one of the few footballers to be liked and respected by nearly all groups of supporters. A committed but fair player with a lot of talent. Shame there aren't more players like him about today. RIP again.

Disagree- professional sport is one of the only pursuits where you hit your professional peak so early in your life and you will never find the same meaning or buzz again after things end. Lots of cases of players going off the rail following retirement.

Heard some terrible rumours why he did it but as they're not substantiated would be wrong to speculate on here. Sure everything will come out in the wash within a few weeks.

R.I.P.

Can't help but think suicide is a selfish and easy way out though, especially leaving a wife and two young kids behind.

You clearly have never been personally affected then, not being horrible, I had exactly the same attitude as you until my best friend of over 20 years hung himself from a tree in Fleming Park. I now think it takes a sh*t load of courage to take your own life, especially in this way.

Wrong I may be but I think GP's must take some element of blame - 'Happy Pills' don't always work!