Gary Speed

S-Clarke

Sorry to do this, as this subject is splashed across all the front pages....but for me, this is the more tragic..

A BRITISH soldier was killed yesterday in an explosion in Afghanistan while on a patrol to disrupt insurgent activity.

The serviceman, from the 5th Battalion The Rifles, died in the Nahr-e Saraj area of Helmand Province, the MoD said.

Sorry to do this, as this subject is splashed across all the front pages....but for me, this is the more tragic..

A BRITISH soldier was killed yesterday in an explosion in Afghanistan while on a patrol to disrupt insurgent activity.

The serviceman, from the 5th Battalion The Rifles, died in the Nahr-e Saraj area of Helmand Province, the MoD said.

Understand where you're coming from, but comparing "tragic deaths" (evil dictators aside, are there any other types of death?) is ultimately a futile exercise. How many people die on our roads every year? Somewhere in the 'thousands'. The reason we didn't hear about the "100" deaths on our roads over the weekend or the next British soldier to have been killed on duty is because they are not "one off" events. They are sadly all too frequent.

A respected footballer and current international manager committing suicide is thankfully a very rare event which, rightly or wrongly, makes it more "newsworthy" in today's 24 hour media world.

I'm not saying I agree or disagree with the news priorities and coverage yesterday, but any debate about it is not going to change human nature I'm afraid (IMO of course)

I personally think it's more sad that someone felt so desperate he felt he had to end his own life, compared to someone dying in a job where it's always known as a possibility from day one.

The point I'm trying to make, in my normal 'gung ho' style, is that a soldiers death barely gets a mention in our media, yet this, tragic as it is, has been splashed across the front

pages, and made the no1 news item on the news channels. Somehow, we have our priorities all wrong in this country, perhaps a squaddies death doesn't sell newspapers!.

The point I'm trying to make, in my normal 'gung ho' style, is that a soldiers death barely gets a mention in our media, yet this, tragic as it is, has been splashed across the front

pages, and made the no1 news item on the news channels. Somehow, we have our priorities all wrong in this country, perhaps a squaddies death doesn't sell newspapers!.

I think soldier's deaths already get a lot of attention to be honest - especially in comparison with previous conflicts and wars we've been involved in. Every serviceman killed in Afghanistant gets mentioned in parliament, every newspaper and every news programme - I doubt we gave that much attention to those who died in the Falklands let alone Korea or WWII. as others have pointed out thousands of people die every day you can't cover every death with lots of media coverage.

Some good posts on here re gary Speed and Depression. Jillyanne Adrian etc. Unless you really suffer from it then you will not know what it is like.

Churchill refered to it as his black dog. You can hide that fact you are seriously depressed but when your alone the black dog comes to visit. But you somehow find an inner strength to carry on get dressed , go to work put on a brave face go home and the darkness sets in. I know I suffer the black dog syndrome. Its not nice as for suicide well as somebody has already mentioned

It's all very well saying suicide isn't an option, it hurts families etc., isn't fair., but that's a rational onlooker describing someone going through something they don't comprehend, and rational thoughts go out the window. Suicide rates are very high, especially amongst young people and it needs more attention.

I could say more. Something may have been troubling Gary Speed . but lets not speculate as to why he took his life .

Gingertiss. Your spot on about another British Soldier dying . Well down the batting order on the news items. even X factor results got a higher rating

Around 2,200 people died in the UK yesterday. They are all tragic but dont all get equal space in the newspaper for obvious reasons, including those already mentioned. Its got nothing to do with "we have our priorities all wrong in this country".

You're right, loads of people die, when I die, I wouldn't expect a mention anywhere, but these guys and gals put their lives on the line for all of us, and for less a day, than a footballer spends on a bl00dy haircut. So, I think you are wrong, we have got our priorities all wrong in this country. However, you are entitled to your opinion, as am I.

Probably not no, but this is already out there.

That's the same lame excuse that the tabloids use/used when they leak stuff on the net/twitter and then claim the "It's already in the public domain" line.

Not the time, not the thread and in the current climate of Leveson not what I like to see.

Barely gets a mention? I rarely turn on the TV without hearing about the death of a soldier. IMO the tragedy is that the reporting so frequent that each passing death has less impact on people; we have become used to it.

wtf was he thinking??? :?

A lot of people's lives have been ruined by the suicide of a loved one. I've seen this firsthand and it is pretty horrible. I therefore agree that suicide is generally selfish and yes possibly a cowardly act. However one act (no matter how extreme) doesn't mean that a person cannot be loved, admired and missed, be they a family member, friend or public figure such as Gary Speed.

I think of people like Gary Speed & how they must have felt. It is such an irrational act that he could not have been thinking rationally, he may have thought his family would be better off without him, that his life had nothing to add. I am just glad that he is at peace now, to a place where whatever drove him to take his own life can no longer haunt him. Of course we all wish he could have found this place on Earth but it was not to be...

Shouldn't be too hard on Harlee though, it was a disrespectful post but he is young, and I don't know him so who knows what he may have had to deal with.

God I sound like damn hippie but I get emotive over this sort of thing. While there is no right or wrong way to deal with this, I just hope the papers allow his young family to grieve.

I doubt he was.

it's not really worth reacting to what he said really, he was just airing an opinion of someone who has had suicide happen around them but couldnt comprehende what it's like to be in the shoes of someone suffering depression, he got roasted for it but im glad it's taken a while to find it's way on here.

it's not really worth reacting to what he said really, he was just airing an opinion of someone who has had suicide happen around them but couldnt comprehende what it's like to be in the shoes of someone suffering depression, he got roasted for it but im glad it's taken a while to find it's way on here.

I think it was more the 'noRIP' comment which angered so many people. He tweeted a lot at the time when news broke, then abused people who reacted.

Theres a time and a place for some opinions. He chose baddly with his time and place. However the 'noRIP' was disgusting!

From Scroobius Pip

It's tragic; you tried to cut yourself in half,

But this isn't magic; in fact it's something much more dark, or more dramatic

Self harm, that's what they call it.

'Cause it just affects you.

It's your life, your body, so you can choose what you do,

And if one day you can't rein it in,

And of your last breath you are the only witness,

Then so be it, cause it's your last breath,

And it's nobody else's business.

But, how about your little sister?

I mean, you think your life's been bad,

And by no means am I belittling that,

'Cause I know the troubles you've had

But a teen finding out her big sister chose death over life,

Finding out instead of turning to her with your problems, You turned to a knife

That's a whole lot of pain to deal with,

And a whole lot of damage

And the only role model she has is little more than words engraved in granite.

But as you said before, this just affects you.

It's your life, your body, so you can choose what you do.

But then, how about your parents?

God knows they've done all they can to support.

Yeah, you didn't go up in a mansion,

But they gave you the best life they could afford,

And the second that last bit of life tickles out,

and your lungs cease to breath,

They've fail the most important task that they will ever receive.

They failed to give their child a life that's worth living,

And that's a failure as long as they live, of themselves, is unforgiving.

Then so be it, 'cause it's your last breath,

But, how about your friends?

How did they fail to see this coming?

I mean, you can only hold so much pain,

And recently it seems like the tap's been left running.

Families grow distant, but it's meant to be your friends you can rely on.

They shouldn't be there for just fun and drinks.

They should be the shoulder to cry on.

They should be the ones you turn to,

When you can't talk to your family.

But they failed to because although you didn't ask for their support,

It should have been mandatory.

But then, what about me?

What kind of boyfriend am I?

Instead of living a life I was a big part of,

You would rather die.

Instead of fighting though together,

And turning things around,

You decided the grass is greener

On the other side of the ground.

Of our shared lives there was nothing worth living for as far as you could see.

So if that's the case for you

Then what is there left in this life for me?

It's your life, your body, your sister, your parents, your friends, and your partner

So you can choose what you do.

Then **** everybody else cause that ain't something you’ve got to live with

People have a right to react in the way they feel. It was unwise of him to broadcast his thoughts, but Im not going to condemn him for having them even if I disagree with what he has said. Only he knows why he feels the way he does - maybe he has been in a situation where someone close comitted suicide, maybe he knew Speed personally, maybe he just knows more than you or I do.

People have a right to react in the way they feel. It was unwise of him to broadcast his thoughts, but Im not going to condemn him for having them even if I disagree with what he has said. Only he knows why he feels the way he does - maybe he has been in a situation where someone close comitted suicide, maybe he knew Speed personally, maybe he just knows more than you or I do.

Sorry if this has caused a misunderstanding , this is not Scroobius pips' refering to Gary Speed untimely death but a general view on suicide and the way it affects the people they leaves behind , and how ****ed up in the head people who take their own life must be , its a most disturbing thought if you look at the bigger picture , reread it again its saying suicide affects everyone and not just the person ommitting suicide . Once again sorry for any misunderstanding I may have caused .

Sorry if this has caused a misunderstanding , this is not Scroobius pips' refering to Gary Speed untimely death but a general view on suicide and the way it affects the people they leaves behind , and how ****ed up in the head people who take their own life must be , its a most disturbing thought if you look at the bigger picture , reread it again its saying suicide affects everyone and not just the person ommitting suicide . Once again sorry for any misunderstanding I may have caused .

No offence taken. In fact I wasnt commenting on your post, which I like a lot and is very moving. I was simply commenting on the condemnation elsewhere of the player who unwisely tweeted his reaction.

From Scroobius Pip

It's tragic; you tried to cut yourself in half,

But this isn't magic; in fact it's something much more dark, or more dramatic

Self harm, that's what they call it.

'Cause it just affects you.

It's your life, your body, so you can choose what you do,

But, how about your little sister?

I mean, you think your life's been bad,

And by no means am I belittling that,

'Cause I know the troubles you've had

But a teen finding out her big sister chose death over life,

Finding out instead of turning to her with your problems, You turned to a knife

That's a whole lot of pain to deal with,

And a whole lot of damage

And the only role model she has is little more than words engraved in granite.

But then, how about your parents?

God knows they've done all they can to support.

Yeah, you didn't go up in a mansion,

But they gave you the best life they could afford,

And the second that last bit of life tickles out,

and your lungs cease to breath,

They've fail the most important task that they will ever receive.

They failed to give their child a life that's worth living,

And that's a failure as long as they live, of themselves, is unforgiving.

But, how about your friends?

How did they fail to see this coming?

I mean, you can only hold so much pain,

And recently it seems like the tap's been left running.

Families grow distant, but it's meant to be your friends you can rely on.

They shouldn't be there for just fun and drinks.

They should be the shoulder to cry on.

They should be the ones you turn to,

When you can't talk to your family.

But they failed to because although you didn't ask for their support,

It should have been mandatory.

But then, what about me?

What kind of boyfriend am I?

Instead of living a life I was a big part of,

You would rather die.

Instead of fighting though together,

And turning things around,

You decided the grass is greener

On the other side of the ground.

Of our shared lives there was nothing worth living for as far as you could see.

So if that's the case for you

Then what is there left in this life for me?

It's your life, your body, your sister, your parents, your friends, and your partner

So you can choose what you do.

Then **** everybody else cause that ain't something you’ve got to live with

He has a real talent. I've not seen that before.

Unfortunately I feel the notion of selfishness which these words explore and others have clumsily hung around Speed's neck, rely on sentience and logic.

The only time that a potential suicide 'victim' would be able to process the selfishness of the act they are contemplating, is when they are not seriously contemplating suicide.

If they are seriously contemplating suicide then surely by implication they are lost to logic and persuasion.

RIP Gary Speed. I can't believe how profound an effect your death has had on me and the people I know.

Some good posts on here re gary Speed and Depression. Jillyanne Adrian etc. Unless you really suffer from it then you will not know what it is like.

Churchill refered to it as his black dog. You can hide that fact you are seriously depressed but when your alone the black dog comes to visit. But you somehow find an inner strength to carry on get dressed , go to work put on a brave face go home and the darkness sets in. I know I suffer the black dog syndrome. Its not nice as for suicide well as somebody has already mentioned

It's all very well saying suicide isn't an option, it hurts families etc., isn't fair., but that's a rational onlooker describing someone going through something they don't comprehend, and rational thoughts go out the window. Suicide rates are very high, especially amongst young people and it needs more attention.

I could say more. Something may have been troubling Gary Speed . but lets not speculate as to why he took his life .

Gingertiss. Your spot on about another British Soldier dying . Well down the batting order on the news items. even X factor results got a higher rating

Unlikely to be depression, unless he managed to keep it from all those people closest to him...

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/2011/11/29/gary-speed-s-best-man-hayden-evans-dismisses-depression-claims-91466-29853252/

Speed had it all: Outstanding playing career, nascent - but promising - managerial career, celebrity, TV punditry, family, lots of cash in the bank and no end in sight.

Yet he chose to string himself up.

To be honest, my first reaction was "how dare he?". How bloody dare he, with all he's got? Makes a mockery of all us struggling at the bottom of the heap. That is my reaction. Of course it is sad for his family. That is why they call it the 'coward's way out'.

Yeah, sure. Depression. Blah blah. Been there. Done that. I didn't top myself. Thousands of people way worse off than he was don't top them selves. I can't even afford the damn rope even if I wanted to.

So by all means the 'football community' should honour the player, but let's not get it out of perspective here. The man took his own life. For what ever reason, he wanted out. That reason was ***not*** about feeding his family, or providing the shirt on his back or getting his kids into a good school or stress about his pension or... any of the normal day-to-day cr-ap we poor people have to put up with.

So, at the risk of going against the flow here, I can not have too much sympathy. It's a free country. He wanted out. End of. Now can we please stop all the damn crocodile tears and 'minutes of clapping' before games please?

Speed had it all: Outstanding playing career, nascent - but promising - managerial career, celebrity, TV punditry, family, lots of cash in the bank and no end in sight.

Yet he chose to string himself up.

To be honest, my first reaction was "how dare he?". How bloody dare he, with all he's got? Makes a mockery of all us struggling at the bottom of the heap. That is my reaction. Of course it is sad for his family. That is why they call it the 'coward's way out'.

Yeah, sure. Depression. Blah blah. Been there. Done that. I didn't top myself. Thousands of people way worse off than he was don't top them selves. I can't even afford the damn rope even if I wanted to.

So by all means the 'football community' should honour the player, but let's not get it out of perspective here. The man took his own life. For what ever reason, he wanted out. That reason was ***not*** about feeding his family, or providing the shirt on his back or getting his kids into a good school or stress about his pension or... any of the normal day-to-day cr-ap we poor people have to put up with.

So, at the risk of going against the flow here, I can not have too much sympathy. It's a free country. He wanted out. End of. Now can we please stop all the damn crocodile tears and 'minutes of clapping' before games please?

Wow. Just... Wow.