Hampshire CCC 2012 Season Thread

Window Cleaner

Despite the wonderful successes in the limited overs format I am disappointed that we have not done better in the 4-day contests.

Yeah, thought we would come back up straight away. I felt Carberry,Adams & katich would pile up runs this season, didn't happon. Things still look promising for next year though.

Seriously, how bad is Michael Bates with the bat? For a keeper who is needed to contribute with bat, he has been shocking barring 1 or 2 reasonable scores. Another duck today. I know he is only young but he needs to start improving soon. As for Vince, in the 4 day game he hasn't progressed at all. The amount of times he has come to the crease, hit 3 or 4 boundaries and then just as quickly given his wicket away is startling. Still got years ahead of him obviously, but have been disappointed to say the least this season at 4 day level.

After an encouraging start to the season, Bates has seriously underperformed with the bat and will obviously need to improve if he’s to keep his place in the team. However, I do have some sympathy for a player in his first full season: how many times has he come to the crease with a large total already accumulated by the batsmen and consequently with the pressure on him reduced? Inexplicably for a team with our batting line-up at this level, very few.

Hants are 85 for 4 - some poor batting again.

I dunno Vince starting to look class. I would love to know why you get fined points for a pitch that favours spin...but no mention of a fine for producing a pitched biased towards seam(not that I think they should get fined) i think a score of 250 could be pretty good.

Sadly not. We got hammered by the worst team in the country. An inglorious end to an otherwise encouraging season.

That's the spirit. Next year we will romp it. Just need to play Briggs andWoods every game. Katich is great...but he's been such a let-down this season, I thougt he'd get 1200 runs easy. Carbs amazing in one dayers...championship a disaster. Next season i'm telling ya.

Another championship match lost - and as far as i can see dropped catches played a big part.

I saw Ervine drop the simplest slip chance off Dawson - I think even I might have managed to hold on to it! Surely professional players should be able to hold on to more chances than many Hampshire players do??

Let's hope for better tomorrow.

Another championship match lost - and as far as i can see dropped catches played a big part.

I saw Ervine drop the simplest slip chance off Dawson - I think even I might have managed to hold on to it! Surely professional players should be able to hold on to more chances than many Hampshire players do??

It's unfortunate that Dawson was bowling because he's the only player in the current side I'd rely on to actually hold onto anything.

Seems to me that a pattern has emerged in many of our championship games. Off the top of my head I can remember (including the match just finished) that after 1st innings our games have been pretty even. It seems that when we bat first our 2nd innings is often a disaster, eg shot out for less than 200 leaving the opposition a **** easy target. Today a prime example, though 196 ought to have been more testing for derby than it ended up being. Would love to see out seasons stats when we have batted in the 3rd innings of each game.

Congratulations Hampshire - both limited overs trophies this season.

That's cheered me up after Saints abject display today.

What an amazing team we are! Such a shame there were so many empty seats, and Hampshire only got 2000 tickets. I know that people said you can get them direct from Lords, but no one I knew realised that. Such an underated team. If Surrey or Yorkshire had won the double with 6 players 22 or under we would never

hear the end of it! Amazing effort!

Well done Hampshire! Which other side has won both the T20 and 40 overs?

I watched it on Sky - it was really gripping. I thought most of our players did very well - eg Chris Wood who bowled very well (with the possible exception of his last over). The last over was really nerve wracking but Kabir Ali came good on the last ball.

It has been a great season in the limited overs competitions. Great stuff Hants!

Football season starts in earnest now (and that's not because we've got our hard games out of the way).

Two fantastic finals and SKY must be loving us. The game swung to and fro yesterday and at differing points thought each team had it in the bag. Fair play to Warkwickshire as to chase down 244 was a decent effort, but all the plaudits should go to a Hampshire side who never gave up.

We had our presentation night up at Mottisfont CC, so was a great end to a good all round season.

One thing we were talking about is that the scorecard on the BBC had Carter as run out, but we couldn't see how. He looked in his crease when Bates whipped the bails off (would have been stumped anyway not run out), and Carter didn't the attempt a run.

One thing we were talking about is that the scorecard on the BBC had Carter as run out, but we couldn't see how. He looked in his crease when Bates whipped the bails off (would have been stumped anyway not run out), and Carter didn't the attempt a run.

Carter stepped out after and Bates pulled a stump out (i think)

Football season starts in earnest now (and that's not because we've got our hard games out of the way).

Two fantastic finals and SKY must be loving us. The game swung to and fro yesterday and at differing points thought each team had it in the bag. Fair play to Warkwickshire as to chase down 244 was a decent effort, but all the plaudits should go to a Hampshire side who never gave up.

We had our presentation night up at Mottisfont CC, so was a great end to a good all round season.

NOT OUT according to the card on Sky Score Centre; 244 for 7.

Carter stepped out after and Bates pulled a stump out (i think)

Saw Bates pull the stump out and that came up in the discussion but we all thought (a) Carter looked in his ground and (b) that would still be stumped.

Carter never looked to run, but thought he should have at least waited until Woakes had got down his end and then at least tried to get up the bowlers end as anything could have happened, poor throw, poor catch, stumps broken etc. At the end Adams was trying to get ball up bowlers end to run Woakes out, but assume Carter not attempting a run meant the ball became dead.

Just seen BBC score card has now changed to not out, so presume in the commotion last night BBC got it wrong

I reckon Sean Ervine has now collected 5 oneday winners medals with Hants. 2005 & 2009. Two 20/20 winners medals and another today. Is he the most decorated Hampshire player? I can't beleive he's still only 29.

Think David Turner is the only other with five - championship in 73, B&H in 88 and three sunday leagues in between

A perfect day yesterday (Hants-wise). Agree re Bates - I've been crtical of his batting before, but he's a superb keeper. Think we should just concentrate on the positives with him - he's never going to be another Pothas - or even an Aymes - but he brings a hell of a lot to the side. Well done Hants, a great season

Yeah good call with David Turner, I thought about him, but thought we only won 2 JP Leagues. I will bow to your greater knowledge on this one! He was a bit of an enigma. He looked about 42 when he started playing, and seemed to get better with age. By the time he retired he looked about 76. I think it's fair to say you just don't see players like him anymore, proper county stalwart, always a favourite of mine, bridged the era between Richards,Greenidge & Marshall.

• 4 weeks later...
Very poor display - we should have stuck with the same side that won the T20!

Having seen the game on Eurosport I'd have to say that winning the toss made quite a difference. Auckland put us in and really

exploited an odd looking wicket, ball seemed to be alternately holding up and zipping through. Then when they were in bat we didn't seem to be able to get anywhere near the same effect.

And we have also lost the second match - a disappointing end to a very interesting season.

I will be interested to see what changes we make next year (when hopefully we will have rather better cricketing weather).

We just have to make some improvement on the bowling, the Medium Fasts were pretty woeful yesterday and got quite rightly hammered about by the Sialkot batsmen.A couple of good overs at the start and an excellent catch by Maxwell. After that they were either just edging us down to the third man boundary or blasting us over the covers.As for Briggs not playing, well why is a 21 year old in such a hurry to get married anyway?

NB Carberry should be ashamed of himself for running out Vince like that, Carbs is a snail in terms of T20 run scoring and Vince looked on song, plus it was Vince's call.

Edited by Window Cleaner

• 1 month later...

Pleased for Razza if true. Decent guy with plenty of time still to break into the first team.

Katich would be a major surprise as Adams today said Hants had offered him another year and subject to other business issues in Aussie he thought he would be back.

Commercial director has also stepped down afetr 2 years. I spoke often to Zac last season and it comes as no surprise. He worked extremely hard and succesfully for Hants over the two years but wanted a break at some stage to recharge his batteries. The club say he is not being replaced at present. That also figures as he has obtained the sponsership/ground naming and the commercial stuff has been outsourced to Keith Prowse. Good guy was Zac. We got on well from the time he arrived.

Hampshire have what all partners consider is a sustainable business plan going forward. That means we no longer have the money to splash out on unsustainable high wages. Katich and McKenzie salaries would have been built into that model so when another club with Aussie Test Match revenue in 2013 ups the anti we have no alternative but to let him go.

We need to look at a good front line bowler as our overseas but the way International fixtures are at present it is unlikely we will be able to get one for the whole season.

Hampshire have what all partners consider is a sustainable business plan going forward. That means we no longer have the money to splash out on unsustainable high wages. Katich and McKenzie salaries would have been built into that model so when another club with Aussie Test Match revenue in 2013 ups the anti we have no alternative but to let him go.

We need to look at a good front line bowler as our overseas but the way International fixtures are at present it is unlikely we will be able to get one for the whole season.

Do we know if Neil McKenzie is coming back? and if so is he here for the whole season?

If so I agree with you. With him, Adams and Carbs in the top order we shouldn't need another batsman as overseas player but we are in desparate need of a strike bowler in championship cricket.

Do we know if Neil McKenzie is coming back? and if so is he here for the whole season?

If so I agree with you. With him, Adams and Carbs in the top order we shouldn't need another batsman as overseas player but we are in desparate need of a strike bowler in championship cricket.

McKenzie has been offered a contract but no decision made as yet

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...