Basset .....LOWE DOES INTERFERE

Delmary

http://www.clubfanzine.com/southampton/v2.forum.topic.bythread.php?id_t=80006&piece=topic80006&id_categ=37

Talksport Danny Kelly and Dave Bassett show 2045ish mon 10th Nov

posted by patred

'Harry' Basset on Talksport tonight confirmed what most of us suspected.

Rupert Lowe does interfere in team affairs.

He was answering questions on relegation, in place of regular Stan Collymore.

When one phone-in fan asked about Southamptons chance of avoiding further relegation here is some of his comments.

Souhampton are very niave at the back, very exciting, very inexperienced.

But watching them all the other managers must be rubbing their hands together to play them.

Their manager seems to be niave as well, he hasn't come to terms with english football yet. To many youngsters all at the same time.

I know their chairman Rupert Lowe claim its cost cutting, but having experienced some time there with Harry Redknapp. I know he was always wanting us to play the young players.

Every week Harrys selection was picked over, every week Rupert Lowe insisted he included more youngsters, every week Harry resisted.

Whilst Harry and I were in charge that was not a problem however annoying it was. Then Rupert got two of his buddies involved, one from a non league club, one from another sport.

This was the end of Harry he walked as soon as an offer came in. I stayed for a while but could see how the wind was blowing.

Several ex Saints managers warned me not apply for Harrys job, because Rupert had always interfered in their job on the same lines.

In the end I was not offered the job, probably Rupert knew I would ignore his orders.

Pretty damning IMO

http://www.clubfanzine.com/southampton/v2.forum.topic.bythread.php?id_t=80006&piece=re641487&id_categ=37

posted by Les Miserable on: 23:27 - 10/11/2008

i heard it too. Basset was quite unequivocal that even 3 yrs ago Lowe was telling Redknapp that he should pick the youngsters . This same plan was RL's 'vision' in our first season after relegation , when we still averaged around 24000 crowds and when we had 2 seasons of parachute money to come. Also bear in mind that when a few mths later HR had walked , Wotte has said that he was offered the job then before an 11th hour change of mind that gave it to Burley .

all of which blows out of the water the spin for the last few months that the current experiment has been forced on the club purely by current finances . Its been the plan all along and dates back years not months.

I'm sure quite a few regulars on here will dismiss Bassett , with countless promotions on his CV , as a dinosaur , 'old school etc ' and will argue against it but just ask yourselves this - there are probably around 50-60 league clubs who are also in financial difficulties - it isnt just SFC , not by a long way . why have virtually none of the others taken this path of total reliance on youth and a foreign coach ? you tell me

Edited by Delmary
Added radio show details

http://www.clubfanzine.com/southampt...06&id_categ=37

posted by patred

When one phone-in fan asked about Southamptons chance of avoiding further relegation here is some of his comments.

But watching them all the other managers must be rubbing their hands together to play them.

Their manager seems to be niave as well, he hasn't come to terms with english football yet. To many youngsters all at the same time.

I know their chairman Rupert Lowe claim its cost cutting, but having experienced some time there with Harry Redknapp. I know he was always wanting us to play the young players.

Every week Harrys selection was picked over, every week Rupert Lowe insisted he included more youngsters, every week Harry resisted.

Whilst Harry and I were in charge that was not a problem however annoying it was. Then Rupert got two of his buddies involved, one from a non league club, one from another sport.

This was the end of Harry he walked as soon as an offer came in. I stayed for a while but could see how the wind was blowing.

Several ex Saints managers warned me not apply for Harrys job, because Rupert had always interfered in their job on the same lines.

In the end I was not offered the job, probably Rupert knew I would ignore his orders.

Pretty damning IMO

I pretty much agree with that as we all know how what a spineless snob Lowe is hence why we are in this position but it's only my opinion!

Be fair it is his team, his club and his ball. He is a highly qualified coach and he has a tracksuit with his initials thereon..What more qualifications does a man need...I think some of these football people have been interfering in our Director Of Footballs dream of running a proper football side.

I suggest we let him get on with it...He is the Man.

Lowey go home and play with the ducks..You have made us a laughing stock once again...Just what is your motive and WHY do the Lavender Hill Mob and Wildey let you get away with this insane behaviour..

Assuming the orginal post is accurate, then Lowe needs to respond. Given the amount of managers that he went through and the costs asociated with paying them off....(Money that directly affected the first team), bar the odd snippet, this is the first (To my knowledge) piece of evidence that backs up what has long been suggested and will add to the unrest amoungst fans.

I would be interested to know the "Trust's" view on this.

Assuming the orginal post is accurate, then Lowe needs to respond. Given the amount of managers that he went through and the costs asociated with paying them off....(Money that directly affected the first team), bar the odd snippet, this is the first (To my knowledge) piece of evidence that backs up what has long been suggested and will add to the unrest amoungst fans.

I would be interested to know the "Trust's" view on this.

If and when Rupert finds out i'm sure he will respond - probably by threatening legal action to try to prevent an audio feed becoming available to fans.

Dave Bassett eh?

How fortunate that it's not an ex manager of dubious quality with an axe to grind for being turfed out after a short and unsuccessful caretaker spell.

I was told this several years ago, when Strachan was in the process of leaving, by a not yet employed, but now ex-manager.....

Dave Bassett eh?

How fortunate that it's not an ex manager of dubious quality with an axe to grind for being turfed out after a short and unsuccessful caretaker spell.

Surely if that were untrue it would be slander and therefore Bassett would only be getting himself in trouble by saying it.

You have a point, but I am pretty sure Lowe is interfering all the same. For a start I can't believe any manager would have left John and Skacel out by choice.

Surely if that were untrue it would be slander and therefore Bassett would only be getting himself in trouble by saying it.

You have a point, but I am pretty sure Lowe is interfering all the same. For a start I can't believe any manager would have left John and Skacel out by choice.

I think ponty realised, it wasn't the most sensible post, hence his second one directly after the first.

I am not sure it really matters, what side of the fence you sit regarding lowe, but allegations have been made (On a subject that has been debated for years) and surely even those that support him, would want to know the truth.

If and when Rupert finds out i'm sure he will respond - probably by threatening legal action to try to prevent an audio feed becoming available to fans.

That's his style, must admit! Silence any opposition (I.e. Sack any staff potentially leaking club info., muddy the waters with false rumours & lies to the tabloids, encourage internet plants on fan forums to bad mouth rival chairmen, media blackout all club info. of any substance or value & completely alienate/ignore the fans) and blindly carry on with a regime that was always destined to fail, while surrounding yourself with 'YES MEN' so you can never be subjected to a "nasty opinion" or even the slightest whisper of opposition, questioning or relevant concerns about this clearly botched regime. Ahhhh, Tatchbury Mount fc is our planned new venture?! Would make sense!

Ok, a bit OTT there but par for the course. The truth is out there...gotta laugh when what goes around...

I think ponty realised, it wasn't the most sensible post, hence his second one directly after the first.

I am not sure it really matters, what side of the fence you sit regarding lowe, but allegations have been made (On a subject that has been debated for years) and surely even those that support him, would want to know the truth.

I can't see the likes of Somedunce and Scooby believing this tissue of lies! ;)

Despite what we perceive of Redknapp and Basset, they are very experienced street wise managers, quite able to resist Lowe's pressure.

But can we say the same for the present coach?

How much pressure does he get, and is he in a position to resist it?

Was going 'totally youth' forced on this club by financial reasons this season?

Basset's words need to be answered by Lowe. Makes you wonder why all those non disclosure clauses were thought a necessity by Lowe :rolleyes:to every departing manager.

Would also explain why Nigel Pearson had no chance of getting the job.:rolleyes:

Well put. There's been enough evidence but the truths are always deliberately diluted by either stupid supporters of Lowe (no offence but COME ON, look at his track record!) or, more common, posters like Firefighter, Scooby & Sundance who had some obscure agenda that stunk of fish & truths & half truths were swept away in their tide of b*llsh*t!! Surely the more analytical of you can see certain patterns. They're now quite obvious & not just ALL paranoia or hoaxers...IMHO.

Still, time will tell. I just remember the now renown, Ill fated clash with Harry & Rupert in his training/tracksuit down at the training ground... Or was that another of those clandestine incidents that never really took place?! (despite half of Hampshire hearing Redknapp hollering to "STAY AWAY" from his training sessions!)

Makes you think eh?!

Well put. There's been enough evidence but the truths are always deliberately diluted by either stupid supporters of Lowe (no offence but COME ON, look at his track record!) or, more common, posters like Firefighter, Scooby & Sundance who had some obscure agenda that stunk of fish & truths & half truths were swept away in their tide of b*llsh*t!! Surely the more analytical of you can see certain patterns. They're now quite obvious & not just ALL paranoia or hoaxers...IMHO.

Still, time will tell. I just remember the now renown, Ill fated clash with Harry & Rupert in his training/tracksuit down at the training ground... Or was that another of those clandestine incidents that never really took place?! (despite half of Hampshire hearing Redknapp hollering to "STAY AWAY" from his training sessions!)

Makes you think eh?!

Beware of the legal beagles. Don't be surprised to see the comments retracted. If a financial agreement was arranged as part of the settlement for Smith, then lowe will enforce it.

I'm awaiting the onslaught today. Most should be sleeping now (unless you live in Dubai or some other time zone) but give it a couple of hours...

You've gotta laugh. It helps the despair although most of us are way past despair now.

Scooby side

Lowe "but 'Arry we're still crap"

Arry "no we ain't we got Fuller

Lowe "but what about Theo?"

Then you have the

SaintRichmond side

Lowe "but 'Arry we're still crap"

Arry "no we ain't we got Fuller

Lowe "but what about Theo?"

Arry "you sold him"

I agree GM actually given me the first lol/smirk/grin on here for ages. If it wasn't so expected it would be horrific, but now the cat is out and the blast zone is where the action's at.

Sweet Dreams TSW'ers 'cos you're gonna be losing sleep for days over this.

Good grief:smt073

http://www.clubfanzine.com/southampt...06&id_categ=37

posted by patred

Pretty damning IMO

At last.

Someone with balls comes out and tells us what we've known for ages, but has remained untold. These comments dovetail with so much we already knew, such as Cliford and Woodward and the Mansfied Town match where Redknapp obviously decided to take Lowe down a peg or two. Though as we can now see, Lowe didnt learn a damn thing.

At last.

Someone with balls comes out and tells us what we've known for ages, but has remained untold. These comments dovetail with so much we already knew, such as Cliford and Woodward and the Mansfied Town match where Redknapp obviously decided to take Lowe down a peg or two. Though as we can now see, Lowe didnt learn a damn thing.

Lowe has been hell bent from day one on making money out of Southampton. He sees one way to this and one way only, produce young talent and sell it on at a profit. He would love nothing more than a team of trainees in surviving in the CCC (the prem is far to a hazardous proposition with high fan expectation of good quality transfer) SMS being one big shop window for the big clubs to plunder, boosting SLH's P/E ratios and impressing the sinsiter cabal.

One problem Rupert, everyone knows you need to A) attract half decent youngsters with a good club set up and B) blood them within the framework of a functioning and cohesive team, with a few good pro's to look upto.

We have neither anymore, the youngsters are nowhere near as talented as a Shearer, Bridge or Walcott and when these yongters look up to find inspiration, they see Paul Wotton :o|

I recall last summer if anyone dared to suggest that Rupert Lowe was in effect acting as de facto Director of Football and interfering directly in team affairs you could guarantee an instant chorus of complaint from the usual suspects (Nickh , Professor , Faz.... etc) that any such notion was in error - I'd be interested to hear if they still maintain that point of view in light of this evidence .

It remains my point of view that the structure of the club with a business man making crucial football decisions is fundamentally flawed both in concept and practice . As was said at the time - this can only end badly .

This will not go down well but Bassett's revelations do vindicate Redknapp just a little. I have long maintained it was the way Lowe treated HR that started the rot.

I met Bassett a few times way back and I would say he tells like it is and is not an axe grinder

we will soon know how true this is because Rupert has always been quick to sue if lies have been told.

IMHO

He didn't sue Gray when he told the truth regarding Delgado.

Instead he rubbished him on the OS and really laid into Wadsworth as well (I'm sure the attack was so vitriolic, that it was eventually pulled/amended).

He won't sue Bassett on this one, so I await 'radio silence' this time around or maybe a rubbishing/smear story on the OS.

As for The Echo running with anything like this, forget it. There's a nice 'cosy' agreement between the two and they won't be upsetting the apple cart. Some people at The Echo need to have a look at themselves for toadying up to the Club in recent months.

Do you know, if this was happening down the road I'd be gloating to my hearts delight. But it's happening here, at our club and we can do nothing about it.

I'm certainly not laughing, but I'm damn near to tears, of frustration at the pig headedness of those in charge and the sycophants on here who I'm sure are now lining up to disparage us 'flat caps' as 'ungrateful plebs' etc.

I am given to believe that Sumedunce has finished his ban? What say you Mr Flashman?

As for The Echo running with anything like this, forget it. There's a nice 'cosy' agreement between the two and they won't be upsetting the apple cart. Some people at The Echo need to have a look at themselves for toadying up to the Club in recent months.

If there's radio silence on this, Adam Leitch has a Q & A this Friday.

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/3834064.Put_your_Saints_questions_to_our_chief_sports_writer/

Close... I still think it's a sensible post regarding the value of 'Harry's testimony. If I wanted to compile a list of bad things about Lowe I'd go straight to managers who feel they were hard done by under his tenure. My second post was to voice my opinion that just because it might not be the most reliable source doesn't mean it's not true.

Lowe has been hell bent from day one on making money out of Southampton. He sees one way to this and one way only, produce young talent and sell it on at a profit. He would love nothing more than a team of trainees in surviving in the CCC (the prem is far to a hazardous proposition with high fan expectation of good quality transfer) SMS being one big shop window for the big clubs to plunder, boosting SLH's P/E ratios and impressing the sinsiter cabal.

One problem Rupert, everyone knows you need to A) attract half decent youngsters with a good club set up and B) blood them within the framework of a functioning and cohesive team, with a few good pro's to look upto.

|

And the other thing he "forgot" was that without much tv revenue you need bums on seats, but he has such contempt for supporters that this element seems a total blind spot for him. He clearly believes that he can make "his club" a feeder club for The Arse 'n All and Tottingham Hopestars amongst others, making enough to allow him to ignore fans as much as possible.

says he is willing to allow the former England rugby coach greater involvement with the first team - something that Redknapp balked at. Indeed, the uninvited attempts by Woodward, during one training session, to show players such as Nigel Quashie how to kick a ball proved to be the final straw for Redknapp - who walked off shaking his head.

But Bassett says: "There's nothing wrong with having a different coach. Clive is a performance director and is very good on the analysis of Pro-Zone and some coaching methods that they used in rugby, the nutrition and certain things." He goes on: "Clive's not an ogre or anything like that. I'm sure he's got things to bring to the table that could be interesting."

However, the former Wimble-don, Sheffield United and Nottingham Forest manager - to name just three of his seven clubs - also adds: "But it's not that he's all of a sudden going to take over the first team. Because I coach". Emphatically, he adds that he is not "a manager who sits in the office, on the phone" but one who expects to be out with the players.

Bassett's conciliatory approach is sensible given the decision taken by the Southampton board at their meeting on Thursday to back chairman Rupert Lowe and to allow Woodward an increased role with the first-team squad. Lowe would like to go further and give him full control, but it has been agreed that, probably, that will not happen before next summer at the earliest, and may have to wait until the year after.

Southampton are drawing up their shortlist of candidates, but say they will not be rushed into an appointment. The immediate targets are a cadre of young, forward-thinking managers such as Watford's Adrian Boothroyd and Brentford's Martin Allen. Interestingly, both are well-known to Woodward, as is Derby County's Phil Brown, while another who could be considered is the Northern Ireland manager, Lawrie Sanchez, who had wanted the Portsmouth job.

Bassett knows he may not fit the desired profile, but his weight of experience, and willingness to fit into the system being planned by Lowe, may help if the club cannot secure their favoured names. He will be in charge of today's meeting with Luton (whose manager, Mike Newell, is attracting covetous glances)with Dennis Wise.

Interestingly, Bassett also makes it clear that he and Wise, who, although 38, has a playing contract at Southampton, want to be regarded as a duo. He adds: "If I get the job I want Dennis to be with me and Dennis has said he'd want me. It's not like boss and assistant. We bounce ideas off each other".

The two worked together at Wimbledon, of course, and, more recently, at Millwall, where the roles were reversed and Bassett assisted Wise. "We've spoken about it and think we can do a good job," Bassett says of the present situation. "We're confident. In the next 18 months, if we couldn't get Southampton up then we'd resign." Tellingly, he adds: "You always plan, but perhaps if it's not here then we might get a job somewhere else".

His current coaching contract expires at the end of January - "but contracts don't worry me," Bassett says - and he also dismisses Redknapp's statement that he always felt he was "keeping the seat warm for someone else" (i.e. Woodward).

"Every management job I've been in I thought that," Bassett says. "As sure as eggs is eggs you either leave or get the sack. So someone replaces you. There's no point worrying about that. You have to be flexible to survive." It's a credo that may stand him in good stead right now.

Close... I still think it's a sensible post regarding the value of 'Harry's testimony. If I wanted to compile a list of bad things about Lowe I'd go straight to managers who feel they were hard done by under his tenure. My second post was to voice my opinion that just because it might not be the most reliable source doesn't mean it's not true.

It has to be asked, who would you go to to compile a list of good things?

There's.....

Oh and there's...

Not forgetting...er, what's his name?

But he built the stadium. Oh yes, and he arranged the finance for the stadium; and let's not forget we wouldn't have the stadium...

rightly or wrongly there is a reason that lowe wants to play the youngsters and that is to get them in the shop window.

when will people realise that our academy/youth system is just a cash making machine,always has been and always will be.its what keeps this club going and and keeps the shareholders happy.

if that is seen as interfering then so be it,lowe should explain to every potential manager that this is the case and then there wouldnt be any problems.

dave bassett could be seen as being a bit bitter about his experience here which is understandable.

rightly or wrongly there is a reason that lowe wants to play the youngsters and that is to get them in the shop window.

when will people realise that our academy/youth system is just a cash making machine,always has been and always will be.its what keeps this club going and and keeps the shareholders happy.

if that is seen as interfering then so be it,lowe should explain to every potential manager that this is the case and then there wouldnt be any problems.

dave bassett could be seen as being a bit bitter about his experience here which is understandable.

As a CONCEPT, without a sugar daddy, there is nothing wrong with having a system that produces the income a club needs to compete by raising and selling players, the PROBLEM with that is the money HAS to be re-invested each time to improve the rest of the squad (ie sell a youngster and one of the weakest players gets imporved)

Unfortunately

1) We only used the money to buy cr*p "squad players"

2) the overall decisions that were made always seemed to be the wrong ones.

But whether Bassett is bitter or not is irrelevant, the statement is now out there in the public domain and needs to be refuted OR explained in a way that stops all of us simply giving up and sitting in a darkened corner and crying with the sheer horror of what is and has gone on

Never have liked Bassett, think his involvement in football facilitated his ability to make financial gain via the bookie, however, if he has misrepresented the facts we need to hear it from Lowe followed by a writ to substantiate the same.

If the facts are simply that Lowe wants/wanted the youngsters played simply to generate interest and increase the value of the asset then this is nothing that any of us did not already know

Beware of the legal beagles. Don't be surprised to see the comments retracted. If a financial agreement was arranged as part of the settlement for Smith, then lowe will enforce it.

Even if the commente are retracted ...... THE TRUTH IS OUT ....... us Non Legal CUSTOMERS do know the truth when we hear it ......

Be honest ..... anyone who is a FAN of Saints, going to St Mary's Matchday after Matchday is aware of such things ........

The only thing that has amazed me, is not being able to see the strings attached to Poortvliet from Lord Lowe in the Directing Box

http://www.clubfanzine.com/southampton/v2.forum.topic.bythread.php?id_t=80006&piece=topic80006&id_categ=37

posted by patred

Pretty damning IMO

http://www.clubfanzine.com/southampton/v2.forum.topic.bythread.php?id_t=80006&piece=re641487&id_categ=37

posted by Les Miserable on: 23:27 - 10/11/2008

i heard it too. Basset was quite unequivocal that even 3 yrs ago Lowe was telling Redknapp that he should pick the youngsters . This same plan was RL's 'vision' in our first season after relegation , when we still averaged around 24000 crowds and when we had 2 seasons of parachute money to come. Also bear in mind that when a few mths later HR had walked , Wotte has said that he was offered the job then before an 11th hour change of mind that gave it to Burley .

all of which blows out of the water the spin for the last few months that the current experiment has been forced on the club purely by current finances . Its been the plan all along and dates back years not months.

I'm sure quite a few regulars on here will dismiss Bassett , with countless promotions on his CV , as a dinosaur , 'old school etc ' and will argue against it but just ask yourselves this - there are probably around 50-60 league clubs who are also in financial difficulties - it isnt just SFC , not by a long way . why have virtually none of the others taken this path of total reliance on youth and a foreign coach ? you tell me

More info on:

http://www.upthesaints.com/

Of course Lowe interferes in team matters. He's a Walter Mitty character having had past work experience in the stuffy world of finance in the City, or in running retirement homes. That hardly fits his own self-image as action man. Of course, he could satisfy some of those desires by going out shooting, but much better to be in the limelight as one of the few chairmen of a football club, able to mix with and have influence over the minor celebrities that footballers are. How lucky he is to be able to play with the train set for the paltry investment in 6% of the shares and so satisfying that he got even that money back and more from his salary.

Regrettably the mad experiment is failing, but think of all the accolades he would have received had it succeeded and he would have been hailed as the imaginative innovator who broke the mould of British football. Even as things stand, if he was incredibly lucky, the youth policy could have unearthed two or three youngsters in the Bale, Walcott mould and he would have the reflected glory when commentators described the thrilling youngster playing for Man Utd or Chelsea as one of the diamonds unearthed by Lowe's visionary and daring youth policy.

For Lowe, it was a bold gamble on turning round the mantle of dismal failure that lies on his shoulders since he got us relegated and which he hoped he could turn into dazzling success. Instead, he will probably go down in the history of the club as a laughing stock, but nobody who supports the club will be laughing, as he will have been the biggest single cause of the club's demise in its history.

Trust me Bassett is not a bitter man - if he was he would not have waited until someone asked him a question on a radio show 2 years after the event.

The same old "shoot the messenger reaction" should not be allowed to cover up the real reasons we were relegated ie Lowe's meddling.